Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Fantastic Four (Reboot)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

nltNfiZ.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

I had no idea there was so much baggage surrounding this production (probably because of my spectacular disinterest in the concept of a F4 reboot). This video goes into detail:

It's a shame that the career of a promising young director could be in tatters, though he hasn't done himself any favours with his conduct. Publicly denouncing your own film on the eve of its release - will another studio touch him after that?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,043 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Just saw it after reading all the negative stuff regarding the production reviews etc and I think it's getting a bad rap, it's a hell of a lot better the last two Fantastic Four movies and I actually found this more entertaining then Ant Man! So it's dead in the water now but in time I think it will garner a "cult classic" status
    It will be interesting to see what Fox do in 6-7 years time with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

Apparently Fox have pulled Fantastic Four 2 and have put Deadpool 2 in its place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Jon Stark

I had no idea there was so much baggage surrounding this production (probably because of my spectacular disinterest in the concept of a F4 reboot). This video goes into detail:

It's a shame that the career of a promising young director could be in tatters, though he hasn't done himself any favours with his conduct. Publicly denouncing your own film on the eve of its release - will another studio touch him after that?

If the rumours about his set conduct are accurate then he hasn't covered himself in glory either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Nervous Wreck

ps3lover wrote: »
    Apparently Fox have pulled Fantastic Four 2 and have put Deadpool 2 in its place.

If this is true, the execs at Fox are even stupider than they've been given credit for. Planning a sequel to a movie before it's released and having to sheepishly cancel it only days after the first movie's release is bad enough. Doing the exact same thing in the same brush, no matter how positive the expectations for Deadpool may be, is insane.

Apparently this has already bombed, so its not that surprising.

The most damning thing out of all of this, excluding the reviews and the audience feedback, is the director coming out, pretty much before it is even released, and apologizing, saying it wasn't his fault.

Even Joel Schumacher took a while to apologize for Batman Forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

cloud493 wrote: »
    Apparently this has already bombed, so its not that surprising.

11 million est for the opening night in the States, which is about a third that a blockbuster success of this genre type would get while at the top end Avengers: Age of Ultron bagged 84m on its opening Friday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,315 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I thought it was a silly idea to do a FF4 reboot and certainly will not be going to see this. Its been done already. Why do Hollywood do it again? Simple because they don,t seem to have any new or original idea,s anymore. Its all just about the money. Maybe this might teach them a bit.
    I liked the original FF4 films and think they should have done an FF3 not a reboot.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ps3lover

If this is true, the execs at Fox are even stupider than they've been given credit for. Planning a sequel to a movie before it's released and having to sheepishly cancel it only days after the first movie's release is bad enough. Doing the exact same thing in the same brush, no matter how positive the expectations for Deadpool may be, is insane.

It could be worse, Paramount announced 2 sequels for Terminator Genisys. Although those sequels have more of a chance of happening than FF2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

It could be worse, Paramount announced 2 sequels for Terminator Genisys. Although those sequels have more of a chance of happening than FF2.

Mother of God! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I don't think there's any question that this is a flawed film, and having seen it I wouldn't be surprised if this isn't the film Trank wanted to make (whatever the reasons may be, there's actually a very good article on the whole situation on EW).
    There's a scene in the trailer clearly taken from one of The Thing's missions where we see him dropped from a helicopter. I suspect that that the words 'One Year Later' didn't appear in Trank's version and that were would have been a lot more time spent on the 4 getting used to their powers. As it is we get five minutes of the body horror he talked about during production. And where did he get the cloak!?!? You can tell where reshoots occurred because of Mara's wig so I'm sure it's only a matter of time before someone does a youtube video about that which might give us a better idea of what influence the studio had on the story.

I think there is potential for a good film in there somewhere but the problem is that this is the Fantastic Four. This film may have been much better without the pressure of that brand name upon it's shoulders, as I think Trank wanted to remake Chronicle with that added dimension of the powers involving a much more physical change. As mentioned previously there is little to know character development but the person who really suffers is Ben Grimm. He shows up for ten minutes at the start and doesn't reappear for an age and only because the brand name of FF requires him to do so. The potential conflict and drama that should arise from him not being a member of the original science team is never explored or developed and I honestly can't remember him speaking more than two or three lines to anyone who isn't Reed Richards. It's a shame because The Thing looks great

Doom is an absolute joke and his design is fúcking awful, he looks like a plastic doll, and his motivations are equally bad. The final confrontation is terrible, one of the worst I've seen in a superhero film. Has the Human Torch always had the ability to fly through solid rock?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,741 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Announcing a sequel in advance of a first film's release serves various purposes. It allows them to plan ahead (franchises are planned years in advance now, so important to book a place on the calendar!), but also to build up hype. "There's a sequel coming, so obviously you can't miss the first one even if it's a bit naff!". Marvel use a variation of this trick, but embed it into the films themselves - there's always the tease of more - and bigger! - to come, to encourage audiences to keep on buying tickets.

Probably practical reasons too for planning ahead, like securing contracts with the cast. But basically it's a whole lot cheaper and easier to cancel a proposed film than it is to make one, so there's not much risk in announcing a sequel ahead of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I thought it was going to be terrible based on all the reviews and spoiler reviews I had seen before hand but it was alright, was not terrible by any means.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Hope so, terminator Genisys was a good movie or did the Internets opinion change since the first week it came out I have not been following it.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Gingervitis

Slightly off topic Sunday Times bashing, but Camilla Long gave it 3 stars this week. So that puts it level with Inside Out and better than Mission Impossible Rogue Nation. I thought Cosmo Landesman got a kick out of being contrary, but this?

The Cinematic Universe Podcast have done a very good spoiler filled discussion about this, well worth a listen as 2 of the 3 guys on it were able to see the potential and would like to see a sequel. So it's not just a three way bashing, very good discussion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,897 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

$26m opening weekend in the US.

I'd say they would have been hoping for double that at the very least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Its not even the No 1 film - MI 5 just kept it off the top by $3m

Sadly 'stupid' Russians and Chinese will make the film successful and so continue the "franchise".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,270 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I thought it was awful. Most of the cast were good, but were never given a chance to properly interact with each other and lead us to believe they actually liked each other.
    Doom can seemingly do anything with his powers, including telekinesis and blowing people's heads up, two skills he never once tries to use against the FF which would easily defeat them. Instead he covers The Thing in rocks (because he's a genius), melts a guy who can stretch, and keeps trying to cracking through Sue's forcefield rather than flinging her into the death portal thing

The film was just badly put together, had maybe 1 joke in the entire film, and went the serious route while not really giving enough time to actually do anything serious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

I thought it was going to be terrible based on all the reviews and spoiler reviews I had seen before hand but it was alright, was not terrible by any means.

would agree, was expecting something awful, but I suppose Its a 5 out of 10 movie for me. I liked the first 40mins or so, and much preferred how they got their powers compared to the original movies.
    Not good enough though to revisit the FF and x-men crossover idea's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭pmasterson95

syboit wrote: »
    would agree, was expecting something awful, but I suppose Its a 5 out of 10 movie for me. I liked the first 40mins or so, and much preferred how they got their powers compared to the original movies.
    Not good enough though to revisit the FF and x-men crossover idea's.

They really wouldnt bring anything to the X-Men either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭syboit

yup, x-men better off on their own. Regardless if the flic was "fantastic" :D or not I always thought the FF would be better off incorporated into the mcu alongside the avengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Their main problem with FF4 is that they're all throwbacks to the Golden Age and a bit irrelevant and twee now, look at them: Stretch-Man, Invisible Woman, Fire-Man etc. Same for all their enemies that nobody else in the MCU ever seems to run into, Dr. Doom, Dog-Man, Robo-Thug etc, lame lame lame.

yup, x-men better off on their own. Regardless if the flic was "fantastic" :D or not I always thought the FF would be better off incorporated into the mcu alongside the avengers.

Their powers would be useful to the MCU but the X-Men can already do what they do and do it better.

Johnny is just basically a discount Sunspot/Sunfire/Sunpyre while Ben is a discount Colossus/Juggernaut.

Sue and Reed are possibly more useful but the telepathy/telekinesis of Xavier/Psylocke/Jean Grey still nullifies the need for them. Reeds intelligence is surpassed by Xavier/Beast so there is literally no reason to bring them in.

Reeds intelligence is surpassed by Xavier/Beast so there is literally no reason to bring them in.

No it's not

The X-Men universe is cluttered enough as it is with their soft reboots and fuzzy timelines. Adding FF would clutter it even more.

I agree with this but, at this stage, were the rights to be sold back to Marvel, I would probably rather that they did a (high budget) Netflix mini-series than have them get another movie attempt straight off the bat.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Their main problem with FF4 is that they're all throwbacks to the Golden Age and a bit irrelevant and twee now, look at them: Stretch-Man, Invisible Woman, Fire-Man etc. Same for all their enemies that nobody else in the MCU ever seems to run into, Dr. Doom, Dog-Man, Robo-Thug etc, lame lame lame.

The same could be said of pretty much any of the existing MCU characters re: relevance. They've been brought into the modern setting and made to fit in. The problem with FF isn't that they don't fit the era, it's that the movie was badly done. The FF are more than comfortable in today's world in the comics. Just because no one's gotten them right on film doesn't mean it can't be done.

Also, Doctor Doom is easily one of the best villains in comics.
    Their powers would be useful to the MCU but the X-Men can already do what they do and do it better.

Johnny is just basically a discount Sunspot/Sunfire/Sunpyre while Ben is a discount Colossus/Juggernaut.

Sue and Reed are possibly more useful but the telepathy/telekinesis of Xavier/Psylocke/Jean Grey still nullifies the need for them. Reeds intelligence is surpassed by Xavier/Beast so there is literally no reason to bring them in.

Pretty much none of this is true. A lot of comic book characters can do similar things but that doesn't negate the need for any of them. There's a lot of hugely interesting things about the Fantastic Four that so far either haven't been explored at all or haven't been done nearly well enough. Things like Doom's jealousy of Richards for being with Sue (touched on but never explored really), Reed's guilt over what he's done to his best friend, Ben's guilt over his part in what happened to Doom, Reed's ego, Sue's weariness with her relationship with a man who cares more about science than he does about her (which, in fairness was done reasonably well in Rise of the Silver Surfer)

The interesting thing about the FF is that they're a dysfunctional super-family who also have to deal with the fame of being well known superheroes.

Also, this:
    No it's not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

I read an article over the weekend that stated that Fox would have to get permission for a Fantastic four and X Men crossover film as the film contract rights for Fantastic Four and X Men were signed at different times and are not related.

No it's not

I guess Wolverine was wrong during the "Death of Wolverine" you should contact Marvel.
    The X-Men universe is cluttered enough as it is with their soft reboots and fuzzy timelines. Adding FF would clutter it even more.

Pretty much none of this is true. A lot of comic book characters can do similar things but that doesn't negate the need for any of them. There's a lot of hugely interesting things about the Fantastic Four that so far either haven't been explored at all or haven't been done nearly well enough. Things like Doom's jealousy of Richards for being with Sue (touched on but never explored really), Reed's guilt over what he's done to his best friend, Ben's guilt over his part in what happened to Doom, Reed's ego, Sue's weariness with her relationship with a man who cares more about science than he does about her (which, in fairness was done reasonably well in Rise of the Silver Surfer)

The interesting thing about the FF is that they're a dysfunctional super-family who also have to deal with the fame of being well known superheroes.

Also, this:

Well the timeline really doesnt confuse as many as people claim. Its really not that confusing especially if you follow comics which your post implies even if you dont its not very difficult for the average person.

Also worth contacting Marvel. Simply none of Johnny, Sue, Reed or Ben have ever featured on a mutant team in any capacity or any X-Book. They have however all spent time on Avengers teams & books. Thats just the simple facts. The 4 are more entwined with the Avengers than X-Men according to Marvel anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

I agree with this but, at this stage, were the rights to be sold back to Marvel, I would probably rather that they did a (high budget) Netflix mini-series than have them get another movie attempt straight off the bat.

Nice idea. I think ANOTHER reboot would be too much if Marvel got the rights back. Spiderman is barely getting away with it as the Spiderman movies have generally been well received and he's a fan favourite. To give the FF a TV show would be an interesting move and would sit nicely alongside AoS I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭McLoughlin

Fantastic Four would work as a TV show as a sort of family drama/sitcom

McLoughlin wrote:
    Fantastic Four would work as a TV show as a sort of family drama/sitcom

I totally agree but it could also be too expensive with the cgi required.

Well the timeline really doesnt confuse as many as people claim. Its really not that confusing especially if you follow comics which your post implies even if you dont its not very difficult for the average person.

I didn't say confusing, I said cluttered. With the same characters appearing across different timelines, in different capacities, characters and stories being retconned and the latest movie essentially retconning the entire universe (apart from First Class), the whole X-Men universe is all over the place. Now, many of the leads are exiting and will no doubt be recast, this will lead to more clutter. At the moment, they're getting away with it but, as I said, adding FF to the mix wouldn't be a good idea; a point I think we agree on.

Bacchus wrote: »
    Nice idea. I think ANOTHER reboot would be too much if Marvel got the rights back. Spiderman is barely getting away with it as the Spiderman movies have generally been well received and he's a fan favourite. To give the FF a TV show would be an interesting move and would sit nicely alongside AoS I think.

Yep. The show could start with the FF already established (though low key and only beginning to come into their own) and touch on the origins through (limited) flashbacks. They could keep budget under control this way too, separating the VFX scenes out across several episodes.

Ben's guilt over his part in what happened to Doom.
    What do you mean by that Nervous?

What do you mean by that Nervous?

There's a storyline that reveals that Ben messed with the machine that explodes, causing Von Doom's facial scarring and he feels guilty that he effectively created the monster that is Doctor Doom by causing his accident. Afaik, he never reveals this to any other character.

Remember the Marvel Action Hour on Saturday mornings? That was an amazing cartoon, only time FF were ever good.

Remember the Marvel Action Hour on Saturday mornings? That was an amazing cartoon, only time FF were ever good.

I don't remember that at all :( I did hugely love the final season of Spider-Man, where they did te clone saga followed by Secret Wars. Doctor Doom was the main villain iirc!

• Advertisement

I guess Wolverine was wrong during the "Death of Wolverine" you should contact Marvel.

Yeah I forgot about Wolverine's advanced degrees there, to make such a statement.

Reed is Scientist Supreme

Other side of the action hour was Hulk and/or Iron Man. Great times.

Didn't the F4 come up against the inHumans a few times there?

I don't remember that at all :( I did hugely love the final season of Spider-Man, where they did te clone saga followed by Secret Wars. Doctor Doom was the main villain iirc!
    It was season 2, season 1 of the MAH was like those horrible old spiderman cartoons from the 60s or whatever, season 2 came years later and they overhauled it to be more like Batman: TAS. The first half hour was Iron Man, the second was Fantastic 4, but instead of villain of the week it was a pretty dark plot arc about trying to stop Galactus, really well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

I don't think a TV show or Movie would be the right way to put them in , Say Marvel got the rights now ....

Infinity War is coming up and its 2 movies , They could easily introduce Silver Surfer 1st in the GOTG 2 or Ms Marvel Movie , Along the way you're going to have Civil War (already filmed so too late) and Spiderman , Black Panther (originally debuted in F4) I don't know

But I know you could fit them in somewhere without there own movie , I don't think there own TV show would be a good fit but maybe introduce the family in Agents of Shield , You could have Reed, Doom , Johnny and Ben all working as possible Shield Agents and then work it into one of the upcoming movies

I think the problem with FF so far is that they've never been developed enough. A series would allow for that, in advance of introducing them into a movie. Hypothetically speaking, obviously

A good article here on what was cut from the trailer and how it might have affected the final cut. I would love to see a director's cut at some stage but I doubt it will ever happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

Did Stan Lee pop up?

Did Stan Lee pop up?

Nope.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

cloud493 wrote: »
    Nope.

That's odd. I always got the impression from interviews that the FF was his favorite creation after/on par with Spider-man

Yeah I forgot about Wolverine's advanced degrees there, to make such a statement.

Reed is Scientist Supreme

When Wolverine was looking for a reason for his healing factor problem Reed wasn't his first port of call. Reeds no dunce but hes not definitely the smartest.

I guess Reed could now have inherited the title of Scientist Supreme as Pym is currently fused with Ultron and presumed dead.

And other than your Wolverine choice there are dozens (more.. ) of examples, sites, blogs, YouTubes and articles countering you

• Advertisement
Advertisement