Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dash cam saves your ass (no Roundabout stuff please :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

gman2k wrote: »
    Dashcam car travelling at 100kmph

320080.jpg

320081.jpg

Some very lucky bus passengers here, as well as an unfortunate bus driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=e5b_1409152811

Madness !!

Warning violence on video

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Iwannahurl wrote: »

320081.jpg

I don't think i've ever seen a ricer Passat or A4 with four wheels the same. Do they drive over glass all day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

I don't think i've ever seen a ricer Passat or A4 with four wheels the same. Do they drive over glass all day?

Is that a space saver wheel on the Passat an'it doing 150 or so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭sogood

Some very lucky bus passengers here, as well as an unfortunate bus driver.

Was Sandra Bullock driving that bus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Newest compilation from Polish roads.

CiniO wrote: »

I find clips featuring zebra crossings particularly nerve-racking. The typical scenario is pedestrians crossing in front of the dashcam car, and you just know some lunatic will suddenly appear and try to mow them down.

I encounter similar (though usually less serious) situations frequently, often on the school run. One motorist, feeling generous, stops to let a pedestrian (maybe a child) cross on a two-lane entry to a roundabout. Meanwhile, in the adjacent lane, other motorists drive on, oblivious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

I find clips featuring zebra crossings particularly nerve-racking. The typical scenario is pedestrians crossing in front of the dashcam car, and you just know some lunatic will suddenly appear and try to mow them down.

Mind you, real life is no fun either. I encounter similar situations frequently, often on the school run. One motorist, feeling generous, stops to let a pedestrian (maybe a child) cross on a two-lane entry to a roundabout. Meanwhile, in the adjacent lane, other motorists drive on, oblivious.

There is a roundabout few meters ahead:confused:

This makes you think what kind of people you share the road with:mad:

wonski wrote: »

There is a roundabout few meters ahead:confused:

This makes you think what kind of people you share the road with:mad:

I'd say this driver had no clue about driving...

• Advertisement

This is my own video where I stopped to let pedestrian waiting on the right side to cross for a while.
    While I was stopped, 3 cars passed me on my left, and that was the reason why pedestrian wasn't going ahead.

In Poland failing to stop in line with another car who stopped in front of pedestrian crossing, as well as overtaking anyone on pedestrian crossing or directly in front of it, is the most serious offence, attracting highest number of penalty points and fine possible on the list. Yet still plenty of drivers completely ignore it. Just pure stupidity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

My Polish must be great, I understood nearly everything said in that video :D

cormie wrote: »
    My Polish must be great, I understood nearly everything said in that video :D

1:25 - "Tomek hamuj kurwa" which means "Tomek apply the f**king brake"
    Must say well done, that Tomek didn't brake but swerved instead. Well done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

1:25 - "Tomek hamuj kurwa" which means "Tomek apply the f**king brake"
    Must say well done, that Tomek didn't brake but swerved instead. Well done.

He did well, if he braked he would hit the car.

Never, ever take an advice from passengers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,149 ✭✭✭✭josip

Very watchable but I still have to see a country that comes close to Russia for self annihiltion by dashcam. I realise it's a bigger country and possibly has a higher percentage of dashcam users, but apart from Tomek would anything else on this vid make it into the Russian equivalent?
    And Tomek's Russian cousin Tomac, in the same situation, would probably have either not reacted at all, or swerved onto the other side for a headon.

What's with the diddly-eye from 4:50?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭bear1

This is my own video where I stopped to let pedestrian waiting on the right side to cross for a while.
    While I was stopped, 3 cars passed me on my left, and that was the reason why pedestrian wasn't going ahead.

In Poland failing to stop in line with another car who stopped in front of pedestrian crossing, as well as overtaking anyone on pedestrian crossing or directly in front of it, is the most serious offence, attracting highest number of penalty points and fine possible on the list. Yet still plenty of drivers completely ignore it. Just pure stupidity.

A near identical situation happened to me in Italy about a year ago.
    I was driving along a road which passes through a town.
    There was a family waiting to cross and in Italy that isn't east.
    I stopped to let them go but in my rear view mirror I saw some stupid bitch overtaking the cars which had stopped behind me.
    I saw that she hadn't a clue why I had stopped so kept on going (this is all in a matter of seconds) and at this point the family was just about to clear my car.
    I slammed onto the horn to warn both the family and driver.
    Family jump back and the drivers ploughs on through without even slowing down.
    The shock of the family.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭gutteruu

bear1 wrote: »
    A near identical situation happened to me in Italy about a year ago.

I like the way in Italy whoever stops at the crossing puts there indicator on. It stops people overtaking and lets pedestrians know to cross. (Ssame as us indicating right when at a crossing)

gutteruu wrote: »
    I like the way in Italy whoever stops at the crossing puts there indicator on. It stops people overtaking and lets pedestrians know to cross. (Ssame as us indicating right when at a crossing)

Not doubting you at all, but I've never noticed it.
    Italian driving I can't really decide on, they are effing crazy and their spacial awareness seems to be all over the place.
    But, some of the best parking skills I've ever seen and if a road is wide enough for them to consider it a dual carriageway they turn it into one no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,058 ✭✭✭finnharpsboy

2 red light breakers, couldn't wait for the green

• Advertisement

This is my own video where I stopped to let pedestrian waiting on the right side to cross for a while. While I was stopped, 3 cars passed me on my left, and that was the reason why pedestrian wasn't going ahead.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ao3UyxI6R9w

The road layout is a core problem. A zebra crossing on a wide two-lane carriageway with a high design speed is asking for trouble. Irish multi-lane roundabouts are similarly pedestrian-hostile, but vehicle speeds are bound to be lower on them than on a straight stretch of wide multi-lane road between junctions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭mb1725

^^ Total lack of common courtesy mixed with stupidity behind the wheel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,838 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was half expecting a few explosions after this :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

What an awesome sound.

The road layout is a core problem. A zebra crossing on a wide two-lane carriageway with a high design speed is asking for trouble. Irish multi-lane roundabouts are similarly pedestrian-hostile, but vehicle speeds are bound to be lower on them than on a straight stretch of wide multi-lane road between junctions.

The problem is that those zebra crossings need to be there. Otherwise how would pedestrians be able to cross the road?

In city where I'm from (and where the video I posted was) there is lots of multilane roads, all going through the city. Speed limit on them is 50km/h.
    There's plenty of zebra crossings there, (sometimes every 100metres) as pedestrian traffic is high. Hardly anything can be changed except from driver behaviour.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,407 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

The problem is that those zebra crossings need to be there. Otherwise how would pedestrians be able to cross the road?

In city where I'm from (and where the video I posted was) there is lots of multilane roads, all going through the city. Speed limit on them is 50km/h.
    There's plenty of zebra crossings there, (sometimes every 100metres) as pedestrian traffic is high. Hardly anything can be changed except from driver behaviour.
    Pedestrian lights would seem to be a better solution where there are multiple lanes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

cormie wrote: »
    I was half expecting a few explosions after this :eek:

your man was getting 'nam flashbacks by the looks of it :pac:

The problem is that pedestrians are paying for it with their lives. Infrastructure can be changed to protect vulnerable road users, if the political will (usually indicated by funding) is there.

Road deaths per 100,000 population / Pedestrians as % of total deaths

Russia 25.2 / 35.9%
    Poland 14.7 / 35%
    Ireland 8.5 / 20%
    UK 5.4 / 21%
    Sweden 5.2 / 12%
    Netherlands 4.8 / 12%

http://www.theguardian.com/global-development/poverty-matters/2011/may/11/most-dangerous-roads

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,802 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Yet another lane hogger. Boring alright, so speed set to 2x. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Mena wrote: »
    What an awesome sound.

Thanks. Penney's.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,217 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

@JouJou there's a good chance that person changed lane for the roundabout

• Advertisement

CatFromHue wrote: »
    @JouJou there's a good chance that person changed lane for the roundabout
    It sure looks that way, the didn't need the "fast" lane anymore!

Any story behind what jet was flying over Dublin in that video?
    I seriously doubt the Government decided to buy some proper fighter jets :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭GrumpyMe

Search Boards for F16

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭BaronVon

bear1 wrote: »
    Any story behind what jet was flying over Dublin in that video?
    I seriously doubt the Government decided to buy some proper fighter jets :)

They did a fly over for the game of American Football between Penn State and UCF at Croke Park

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭deandean

infacteh wrote: »
    They did a fly over for the game of American Football between Penn State and UCF at Croke Park
    Great timing there. I wonder do the jets have dash cams :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

caught this near miss earlier on collins ave dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭ardle1

:)
    dickwod1 wrote: »
    Close shave? ... I put a video up of a truck who lost vision of where the car beside his left was at a roundabout and had to brake hard so he wouldn't squash him by crossing over the skinny lanes ...I seen this happening and slowed down until the truck passed,

How you think me braking slightly on entering the roundabout would have prevented what happened is beyond me.

Go ahead and post 10 similar incidents a week that's what this thread is for ... (But unfortunately there's nitpickers posting ridiculous comments here too.)

Huh, well if that's the case, I do apologise!
    I thought you were posting a clip of how close you came to the back of the truck....
    I'll have another wee look tomorrow

spider_pig wrote: »

Whoever was driving the camera car should go back to driver's training. Trying to undertake a car signalling intention to turn left is pure stupidity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

I don't see anything wrong with the golfs driving. He needed to turn in and he indicated. Then you got passed off because you weren't expecting him to turn in so soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭spider_pig

Whoever was driving the camera car should go back to driver's training. Trying to undertake a car signalling intention to turn left is pure stupidity.

He would of have taken that turn easily in the left lane without having to turn into the right lane to do so. It was also at a junction I thought he was taking the left turn at the corner and not the one into the drive way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

He would of have taken that turn easily in the left lane without having to turn into the right lane to do so. It was also at a junction I thought he was taking the left turn at the corner and not the one into the drive way

Expect the unexpected...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

rizzodun wrote: »
    Expect the unexpected...

Like this clown, kid in the passenger seat, He got my full beams and the horn for this one.

Agreed, poor judgement on the camera cars part. Should have anticipated the maneuver, instead of accelerating into it, coming unnecessarily close to them and then beeping them out of it because of their own mistake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,869 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Agreed, poor judgement on the camera cars part. Should have anticipated the maneuver, instead of accelerating into it, coming unnecessarily close to them and then beeping them out of it because of their own mistake.

And not allowing for the imaginary 21 foot trailer the golf was obviously towing.

He went overboard with the turn alright, but i'd be waiting to see what someone who's indicating is about to do before second guessing them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

Why do dash cams have such wide lenses ? The camera sensors have auto exposure so if the sky is predominant in the view then the rest of the scene gets less exposure hence the important details - cars, reg plates, drivers - are darker !

The wide lenses make it difficult to reduce this effect. With mine I aim it lower so the sky affects it less so the road in front is more visible, not ideal but does improve it somewhat, are there any cameras available with zooms to alleviate this problem?

Ken

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with the golfs driving. He needed to turn in and he indicated. Then you got passed off because you weren't expecting him to turn in so soon.
    The Golf should have driven slower so that he could have turned without going into another lane, but the camera car should have held back as the Golf appeared to be doing something "strange".

John_Rambo wrote: »
    And not allowing for the imaginary 21 foot trailer the golf was obviously towing.

Well it's impossible to say from the video how wide is the gate. Golf's manuever seems allright to me. He indicates well in advance, and takes wide turn. For me it looks like he enters this gate often (probably everyday) and knows exactly how much swing he needs to take.

Camera car though, was trying to do something strange though. Seen golf in front of him indicating left, and once golf moved towards right lane, he tries to undertake it.
    Why would someone even consider trying to undertake vehicle signalling left?

• Advertisement

ZENER wrote: »
    Why do dash cams have such wide lenses ? The camera sensors have auto exposure so if the sky is predominant in the view then the rest of the scene gets less exposure hence the important details - cars, reg plates, drivers - are darker !

The wide lenses make it difficult to reduce this effect. With mine I aim it lower so the sky affects it less so the road in front is more visible, not ideal but does improve it somewhat, are there any cameras available with zooms to alleviate this problem?

Ken
    I would imagine they're wide to catch the car pulling out of a side road and similar things that could influence the driver's actions.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement