Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TUF 19 - Penn, Edgar + Pendred & Fields! **Spoilers**

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

This Nordine fight is great so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭kingcharles82

Great to see the guys both on the same team and love the way the are pronouncing Cathal!! Should be a good series, interesting that both guys were so far down the picks??

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JojoD51

As far as I know Fields had a back injury going into the fight, will be watching it after work so want to see if its obvious in his movement.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 JojoD51

Yeah Fields had a popped rib going into the fight, just saw it on twitter

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭BeepBeep!

Any links to last nights episode?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I'm assuming here but can't check in work.

http://www.ufc.tv/page/fightpass

• Registered Users Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

Great to see the guys both on the same team and love the way the are pronouncing Cathal!! Should be a good series, interesting that both guys were so far down the picks??

Not at all tbh. Fields didn't look good in his fight and appeared to be losing before the other guy's injury, Pendred didn't fight so the coaches didn't know what he was about. So no surprise to see them picked near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Anyone else think BJ was very relaxed about his first fight selection?

I mean, if I was a coach I would have selected a guy I had seen fight already and win well and pick an opponent to suit him. He didn't even realise he could pick the opponent until it was pointed out to him and even then he just said 'whoever was their last pick'. Giving up control can be disastrous for a team in TUF.

Dont get me wrong here, I am absolutely delighted for Pendred that he has a chance to prove himself, as he must have been very disappointed when he got the bye but I just though BJ was far too easy going about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

John_D80 wrote: »

I mean, if I was a coach I would have selected a guy I had seen fight already and win well and pick an opponent to suit him. He didn't even realise he could pick the opponent until it was pointed out to him and even then he just said 'whoever was their last pick'. Giving up control can be disastrous for a team in TUF.

Dont get me wrong here, I am absolutely delighted for Pendred that he has a chance to prove himself, as he must have been very disappointed when he got the bye but I just though BJ was far too easy going about it.

Thought that myself, very surprised how both coaches didn't seem to rate Cathal, he was the 6th pick out of 8, hasn't his reputation gone before him, or have they just not done any research at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

scudzilla wrote: »
    very surprised how both coaches didn't seem to rate Cathal, he was the 6th pick out of 8, hasn't his reputation gone before him, or have they just not done any research at all?

I agree to a point. Me personally, if I was a coach, I'd have my research done on all 32 fighters as long as possible before the fight day. But at the end of the day, there is just no substitute for seeing someone up close and be able to see the little nuances that you just won't see in a YouTube highlight reel or read off of sherdog.

The coaches can only formulate a opinion based on what they know and seeing a fella in the flesh is far more favourable than going by rep alone.

No doubt in my mind though, Cathal will rise to the top and be a serious contender for this seasons title.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Nappy

Cathal did well to be chosen before other fighters considering he didn't get to showcase his skills. It's a huge advantage for him considering he didn't have to take any damage going into his first fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭Tom.D.BJJ

I almost puked when I seen the dogbar in the last fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Cathal
    obviously wins next week as one of the clips in the outro was him squaring up to a guy with a Mexican flag wrapped around his head while people sing Olé Olé Olé.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 D35

Very clever editing at the end, it looks like BJ's team is really pissed at the decision but this is not "K-Hills" fight if you pause it you can see one of the trainers in a dark blue shirt with his hand on the Irish flag, not the same T-shirt from the pissed of scene. Come on the Irish

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭osl

The clip with Cathal in the outro was of next weeks square off so not a spoiler

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

D35 wrote: »
    Very clever editing at the end, it looks like BJ's team is really pissed at the decision but this is not "K-Hills" fight if you pause it you can see one of the trainers in a dark blue shirt with his hand on the Irish flag, not the same T-shirt from the pissed of scene. Come on the Irish

That wasn't showing next weeks highlights, though. It was showing what was to come from the whole season.

The way they pronounce Cathal is annoying already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭cletus

Delighted to see The Hammer in as an assistant coach.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,148 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

osl wrote: »
    The clip with Cathal in the outro was of next weeks square off so not a spoiler

Actually, this would make sense as Urbina is the only 185er on Edgar's team who is of Mexican decent............. carry on :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Felt pretty bad for that lad coming in for a 2nd attempt. Was absolutely dominating the fight but obviously became a bit complacent and left the arm in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 D35

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭CM24

Next week......
    Looks like he gets floored with a hard uppercut there near the end. It's going to be unusual for Cathal not being able to physically overpower his opponents like he does at welterweight.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,427 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just a quick reminder lads....Put spoiler tags on your posts that refer to future episodes, even if it's only speculation as to what may happen based on the previews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

John_D80 wrote: »

I think BJ played the fool very well. He was a coach back in series 5(?) so he knows the score alright.

I thought Fields was very lucky getting through as he was behind in the fight, good luck to the Irish lads, I'm looking forward to next weeks show.

Lot of respect between BJ & Edgar on show which I'm delighted about, should mean no over dramatic coaches fued that usually gets dreamt up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

Can someone tell me why cathal got a by, i cant figure it out they never said why on the show?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

amkin25 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me why cathal got a by, i cant figure it out they never said why on the show?

Dana said at the start that everyone they lined up to fight him had to pull out due to injury, not making weight, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

It's not cathal.... It's Cah Hawl

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭Gumbi

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    It's not cathal.... It's Cah Hawl
    No, it's Coth-al. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Watching it, I was quite nervous actually. Wanted the lads to do well even though it was fairly well known that they were in the house before the episode aired. Was unfortunate that they got into the house the way they did but sure, they're in there.

The last fight was brilliant and by the sound of Pendred on Twitter he seems to have gotten on well with King in the house.

Nordine was also a member of the TUF Nations cast and fought at the weekend in the UFC. Seems as though that if the UFC want you in there they're willing to give you a couple of chances.

Looking forward to the rest of it. Penn seemed a little aloof when chatting to Dana/Frankie during the fight. As if he wasn't listening to what they said, didn't get their jokes or was just ignoring them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭amkin25

CM24 wrote: »
    Next week......
    Looks like he gets floored with a hard uppercut there near the end. It's going to be unusual for Cathal not being able to physically overpower his opponents like he does at welterweight.

It's not really a spoiler unless you have inside information from someone,i doubt if that punch was a factor in the outcome that it would have been shown in the previews.

Advertisement