Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl bike specials 27/4/15 inc glasses with camera

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

mrcheez wrote: »
    There was only one in the Lidl I went to in Dublin, perhaps they didn't think there would be much demand.

I had to ask for mine. They didn't have them out on display (maybe worried they'd be stolen?). They had them in their back office.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

These sunglasses look interesting. Pity they say no good for winter sports as I would love to bash down some powder filled couloir with them!

Anyway, has anyone any thoughts on how they would compare to :

http://www.dx.com/p/m064-5-0mp-720p-wide-angle-sports-sunglasses-camcorder-w-tf-black-174563#.VUP1ue29LCQ

Or these
    http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=391009839040&category=163826&pm=1&ds=0&t=1430517616591

Loads of other options in dhgate, Ali etc. Many include polarised lens but no memory card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

sullivlo wrote: »
    Lots (4+) left in Lidl Finglas last night.

Are you sure these were the camera glasses? They had ordinary non-camera glasses out on display, but the camera ones were generally held in a safe place.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,652 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Anyone spot if the GREY handle-bar grips are still available in any Dublin northside Lidl (or city centre)? I could only find the brown ones which are kinda "meh"

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭sullivlo

RainyDay wrote: »
    Are you sure these were the camera glasses? They had ordinary non-camera glasses out on display, but the camera ones were generally held in a safe place.

Yeah. They're in a locked glass cage opposite the fridges where the steaks are.

• Advertisement

Kaisr Sose wrote: »
    These sunglasses look interesting. Pity they say no good for winter sports as I would love to bash down some powder filled couloir with them!

Anyway, has anyone any thoughts on how they would compare to :

http://www.dx.com/p/m064-5-0mp-720p-wide-angle-sports-sunglasses-camcorder-w-tf-black-174563#.VUP1ue29LCQ

Or these
    http://vi.raptor.ebaydesc.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemDescV4&item=391009839040&category=163826&pm=1&ds=0&t=1430517616591

Loads of other options in dhgate, Ali etc. Many include polarised lens but no memory card.

The video quality appears to be similar to the Lidl glasses, but a few things make me think the Lidl ones might be better for you...

- I've worn mine in hail and heavy rain and they worked fine, so I'm not clear on what they mean by "not suitable for winter sports". Perhaps it's the operating temperature, but aren't winter sports normally done around 0 - 5C rather than -15C?

- some of the reviews of the first one mentioned poor build quality, but I have to say the Lidl ones are pretty solid.

- 3 year warranty is pretty handy. I got a handheld vacuum cleaner replaced from Lidl after 1.5 years with little hassle so they do honour them. Just keep receipt safe.

- the lens on DX is pretty visible, so you can clearly see the glasses are "camera glasses". The Lidl ones look like normal specs. I recorded a conversation the other day and the guy had no idea he was being videoed ;)

I wouldn't let the lack of polarised lens put you off, the lens quality is good and I didn't experience issues with glare.

So if it's true that there are still some in shops it might be worth checking out.

Loads of stands, gloves, lights and clothing in Lidl Rathfarnham

The video quality appears to be similar to the Lidl glasses, but a few things make me think the Lidl ones might be better for you...

- I've worn mine in hail and heavy rain and they worked fine, so I'm not clear on what they mean by "not suitable for winter sports". Perhaps it's the operating temperature, but aren't winter sports normally done around 0 - 5C rather than -15C?

- some of the reviews of the first one mentioned poor build quality, but I have to say the Lidl ones are pretty solid.

- 3 year warranty is pretty handy. I got a handheld vacuum cleaner replaced from Lidl after 1.5 years with little hassle so they do honour them. Just keep receipt safe.

- the lens on DX is pretty visible, so you can clearly see the glasses are "camera glasses". The Lidl ones look like normal specs. I recorded a conversation the other day and the guy had no idea he was being videoed ;)

I wouldn't let the lack of polarised lens put you off, the lens quality is good and I didn't experience issues with glare.

So if it's true that there are still some in shops it might be worth checking out.

Thanks for the above.

I just posted a few of the many links to glasses. Some of them have an invisible type lens.

Most of the Lidl/Aldi electronic gear is generic product sold as Silvercrest/Tevion or whatever. I would assume the same glasses are available elsewhere. I would agree that the 3 yr warranty is priceless!

The winter sports limitation is noted on the user manual. Winter sports can be performed in temps as high as 15/20 Degree C, but more offen it's low single figures above zero to as low as -20. The low temp destroying the battery.

I like the form of the glasses for both cycling or anything. Go pro are brilliant but the turn one into a teletubby / darlek.

I bought a pair anyway. Plenty of shops still have them ( even if none in glass cabinet, they have them in the office)

Kaisr Sose wrote: »

I like the form of the glasses for both cycling or anything. Go pro are brilliant but the turn one into a teletubby / darlek.

Yeah it'll probably take a year or two before you can get GoPro HD quality in the same sort of form factor for this price.

I got it mainly for kite land boarding, but because you don't need to mount it to a helmet or anything it's far more flexible to use than a GoPro, plus easier to charge as you don't need to unmount it (or lug your helmet over to your computer if that's where it's attached).

Not to mention it'll be cool for videoing in loads of other situations like backpacking trips etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Can the glasses be used to just take photos and would the battery then last much longer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Can the glasses be used to just take photos and would the battery then last much longer?

There is nothing in the manual about taking photos. The only thing it mentions it the ability to add a time stamp. There's only one button on the glasses themselves that you can press and it turns on/off the video recording.

Nope just video unfortunately

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

A question about the pricing of the Aldi pannier set. The ad says 'Pannier Bag Set. Each 15.99.' So is that 15.99 per bag or for two bags?

Cheers.

If it says set, that would be for the set, not per bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭Unknown Soldier

Picked up one of the S/M (White) Commuter helmets today.

Fine piece of kit.

Was a bit worried it would be a tight fit with a rain cap on but it fitted fine. "Snug"

Was just looking for a "permanent" 'mutter helmet ,with lights/cameras fitted rather than messing around with my normal helmet, taking them off for non-commutes etc

Good value at 18e. The straps are those used on a lot more expensive helmets.

The_Sub wrote: »
    The blurb says water repellent and it looks like it would keep dry in a shower, or spray. There is a water proof cover too. Handy for the summer commute when I don't need so with me.

Some pics showing the inside.
    The_Sub wrote: »
    I got a pair of the yellow panniers this morning, loads of stuff still in ballincollig.

Quick question for anyone who got the Lidl panniers. I got the yellow ones, but only took them out of the bag this week. They fit the bike nicely, but am I missing something? It's as if they just flop open at the top. I can fold in the end and close up the straps in both direction, but it ends up looking like one of my usually badly wrapped Xmas presents. Is there a better way to close up the top that will keep it waterproof when the rain comes back?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Just a little Samba

You're meant to roll it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,320 ✭✭✭Macy0161

RainyDay wrote: »
    Quick question for anyone who got the Lidl panniers. I got the yellow ones, but only took them out of the bag this week. They fit the bike nicely, but am I missing something? It's as if they just flop open at the top. I can fold in the end and close up the straps in both direction, but it ends up looking like one of my usually badly wrapped Xmas presents. Is there a better way to close up the top that will keep it waterproof when the rain comes back?
    If they're the same as the aldi ones, you roll the top closed and keep it there with the clip. Not sure they're waterproof without the cover that's in the bottom.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭onthefringe

have you any of the tools in it already??
    if so weigh up the price of buying the ones you dont...
    they are great kits if youve got none..
    otherwise..start buying individual tools you require bit by bit at you local bike shop

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,660 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's got a spoke tool in the photo but not in the description, so i'm wondering which is the one pertaining to what will actually be on sale.

The Sunglasses with HD camera are on sale again (next Monday 24th) if anyone is interested:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=28952

I'm using mine less since I started cycling a safer route to work (haven't turned on my rear bike cam too), but probably going to start using them again.
    Great for the size, only downside is that the video doesn't overwrite previous recordings when the card is full so you have to use a PC with card reader to delete them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,975 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The Sunglasses with HD camera are on sale again (next Monday 24th) if anyone is interested:

http://www.lidl.ie/en/Offers.htm?action=showDetail&id=28952

I'm using mine less since I started cycling a safer route to work (haven't turned on my rear bike cam too), but probably going to start using them again.
    Great for the size, only downside is that the video doesn't overwrite previous recordings when the card is full so you have to use a PC with card reader to delete them.

How long does the battery last?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Any issues in heavy rain? What is the video quality like at Night.

How long does the battery last?

Around 75-85 mins in total in my experience.
    jon1981 wrote: »
    Any issues in heavy rain? What is the video quality like at Night.

Video actually improves at night oddly enough. No issues in rain, have used them in flood-rain and hailstones.

Another downside is that wind noise can be quite loud (the mic on these things is quite impressive), but I recall another poster mention they wrapped the speaker in tape or something and that helped. I haven't bothered to be honest and just turn the vol down during the windy bits.

A few video captures I posted earlier in the year give an indication of quality during daytime:

348208.jpg

347090.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

Looks like good quality video. I might check these out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,359 ✭✭✭jon1981

Looks super for the purpose it serves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭traprunner

Any opinions on their chain cleaner?

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭wheelo01

traprunner wrote: »
    Any opinions on their chain cleaner?

I have one for quite some time, I use the Dealz "muc off" in it, it hasn't let me down yet, but it seems brittle enough, but careful use will extend it's life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Corker1

I picked up a pair of the camera glasses on Monday and I have to say I am well impressed with the video quality. I will use them mostly for the urban sections of my commute. On descents the wind noise is very noticible. If you are wearing a casquette with them don't forget to pop the peak up!

Advertisement