Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stolen Bikes Thread - Mod Note please read post #1 before posting

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Vuxlor

noted and removed.. .thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 AbbyCat77

Hey bike people!

I just thought I would give a heads up/ vent about my lovely bike which was stolen today in Temple Bar courtesy of the general scummy dublin Knackers that exist in this city.

Any advise on how to prevent another bike getting stolen? Job has no where to store bikes, which is really annoying as I just started too. Someone mentioned using a Kryptonite lock? Apparently they are the best? anybody have any idea of a safe place to park a bike in that area? (although it was stolen between 11 - 12.30 today right behind the Central Bank on a so - so busy enough street, and yes it was locked too).

Where do the bikes all go? Is it a gang that takes them and ships them off or what? or is it just people stealing them and selling them around the area? Anybody know? Anybody had a similar experience? I reported it to the Guards but like realistically what can they do?

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

Can't help with all of the above, but defo mention the make and model ect of bike in this thread and any noticeable features in case it turns up for sale somewhere

Yeah it was a nice light blue Carerra - fairly standard i'd had it for about 4 years so it wasn't brand new, nothing overly distinguishable either . Complete loss in Humanity, hope it doesn't happen to anybody else.

Really wasn't expecting it either so a heads up to all city cyclists!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

AbbyCat77 wrote: »
    Yeah it was a nice light blue Carerra - fairly standard i'd had it for about 4 years so it wasn't brand new, nothing overly distinguishable either . Complete loss in Humanity, hope it doesn't happen to anybody else.

Really wasn't expecting it either so a heads up to all city cyclists!

I hope you've gone to any shops with cameras overlooking the place it was tied, and asked the managers (followed up with a personally addressed letter) to preserve the CCTV, and you've reported it to Pearse Street (?) garda station with a written report including the frame number, and asking them to get the CCTV from those shops?

Edit: as for a safe place in Temple Bar, is the Square Wheel still going? They used to park bikes for the day for a small fee there; nice people.

• Advertisement

I hope you've gone to any shops with cameras overlooking the place it was tied, and asked the managers (followed up with a personally addressed letter) to preserve the CCTV, and you've reported it to Pearse Street (?) garda station with a written report including the frame number, and asking them to get the CCTV from those shops?

Edit: as for a safe place in Temple Bar, is the Square Wheel still going? They used to park bikes for the day for a small fee there; nice people.

Yeah Pearse Street Graurda station were informed and should be CCTV from Central bank back cameras. I will have a good walk around temple bar tomorrow and thanks for the tip on Square Wheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭cyclic

Feel terrible for those stories posted here. Word of warning. Parking up my bike outside Aldi on Parnell St, Dublin at 4 ish yesterday afternoon. Turned around to leave and there's a guy giving it socks with a bolt cutters on a new Trek hybrid's cable lock. Told him to fcuk off- he calmly stops after looking up and seeing I'm bigger than him, stashes his bolt cutters in his hoody, and runs off. Broad daylight, no-one bats an eyelash. Lock is a 30 quid cable lock. In 20 secs, he's almost through it - although he's working like Brian O' Driscoll on the line.

Lesson, don't use a cable lock. It's just too easy. Parking your bike on the street in town- heartbreak about to happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

cyclic wrote: »
    Feel terrible for those stories posted here. Word of warning. Parking up my bike outside Aldi on Parnell St, Dublin at 4 ish yesterday afternoon. Turned around to leave and there's a guy giving it socks with a bolt cutters on a new Trek hybrid's cable lock. Told him to fcuk off- he calmly stops after looking up and seeing I'm bigger than him, stashes his bolt cutters in his hoody, and runs off. Broad daylight, no-one bats an eyelash. Lock is a 30 quid cable lock. In 20 secs, he's almost through it - although he's working like Brian O' Driscoll on the line.

Lesson, don't use a cable lock. It's just too easy. Parking your bike on the street in town- heartbreak about to happen.

Fair play to ya. I fookin hate good for nothin scumbags

Been looking around, seemingly this place is free and CCTV' d : I'm going to walk over and scout it out tomorrow but it was opened by the Dublin City Council and there is a whole floor designated to bike parking.

http://www.drurystreetcarpark.com/contact.php#

That and a heavy duty Kryptonite Lock should hopefully deter these knackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,623 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

AbbyCat77 wrote: »
    Been looking around, seemingly this place is free and CCTV' d : I'm going to walk over and scout it out tomorrow but it was opened by the Dublin City Council and there is a whole floor designated to bike parking.

http://www.drurystreetcarpark.com/contact.php#

That and a heavy duty Kryptonite Lock should hopefully deter these knackers.

Been open a few years now, well discussed on here, been a few bikes knicked from here too. One lock simply isn't enough, you need a primary lock like a Kryptonite New York for the frame and rear wheel, and a secondary lock for your front wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,161 ✭✭✭Amazingfun

I had a lovely bike stolen from that exact same location a couple of years ago. The manager told me they know who the gang is that steals them, called them "The Liberties Gang" and said they are plagued by the bastards.

I know it's illegal but I wish you'd been able to give him a batter with the cable-cutter and them kept it, haha.

(Oh well, we can dream!)

Ps: I now use three locks. One kryptonite, one shiite cable type, and a wheel lock on my back tire as well. Seems like overkill, but I haven't lost my bike in over 2 years now and I park in town a lot. Plus, I learned the hard way, in fact, I may even add another one!
    The principle is to have as many different ones on as possible as each requires a different type tool/method to break through. Least that's been my thinking on the matter, I know nothing can keep it totally secure, but this combo seems to have made it less attractive a choice, maybe due to the time factor of having to bother with so many locks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

Feel terrible for those stories posted here. Word of warning. Parking up my bike outside Aldi on Parnell St, Dublin at 4 ish yesterday afternoon. Turned around to leave and there's a guy giving it socks with a bolt cutters on a new Trek hybrid's cable lock.

Fair play to you for your quick thinking. I just stood staring with my mouth agape watching a guy with one arm in a sling try to rip a bike physically from one of the racks along there once. I was a bit away across the road, and the attack failed, but I don't think I would have reacted any better if it had succeeded

Must have been a damn good cable lock to withstand that attack. Normally a ordinary cable snips that you can hold in one hand will go through a cable lock like a hot knife through butter. I snapped a key off in a cable lock at home once upon a time. I was kind of alarmed how quickly I was able to overcome the "security" these type of locks offered! :eek:

It's depressing to think that maybe his bolt cutters was worn out from thieving so many bikes. It is also sad to think that he wasn't a million miles from a popular store which would sell him a new one for €9.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭phenomenalcat

My mate just had his bike pinched at aungier street , another bolt cutters job, nowhere is safe

My mate just had his bike pinched at aungier street , another bolt cutters job, nowhere is safe

Any chance you can tell us how he had it locked, what kind of lock, etc?

Sorry to your mate btw. Sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭jaymack75

Didn't want to be posting in here.....

But had my bike stolen from the shed last night

It's a grey Giant OCR, with shimano 105 and black Planet X wheels

And they took my lovely white Planet X carbon am pro which I was stripping down

Bastards, what a crap event to wake up to.

jaymack75 wrote: »

The posts here increasingly sound like this is a gang that knows what it's stealing and has somewhere to sell their stolen goods.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,567 ✭✭✭✭aloyisious

It seem's like they know who/where to target, even sheds at homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,419 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

I know that on the region forum for where I live now there was a thread about a spate of bike thefts a few months back. People came to the conclusion that they were being followed home from spins as quite a few bikes were being lifted from sheds. Personally my own bikes stay in the house.

I know that on the region forum for where I live now there was a thread about a spate of bike thefts a few months back. People came to the conclusion that they were being followed home from spins as quite a few bikes were being lifted from sheds. Personally my own bikes stay in the house.

Maybe this is where Neighbourhood Watch and local Facebook pages can work well - warning everyone to take their bikes in while the thieves are targeting a particular neighbourhood.
    It would be a useful thing for the Garda twitter account to do too - warn people that there's a bike theft gang operating in a particular neighbourhood.

• Advertisement

I rang the guards in Terenure and I have to say I was impressed with their response.

I had 2 guards at my door within half an hour, and they checked everything out, took their time with me prattling on about my lovely bikes etc and even took a couple of items away for fingerprinting.

I'd like to thank them for that.

I'm still gutted though..............:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,943 ✭✭✭from_atozinc

ah tis a fookin wh0re.

you spend hard earned money on a bike, probably spent money on doing it up, enjoy the aul cycling, and then some good for nothin scum c*nt thats too fookin lazy to get a job comes along and steals it , fookin makes my blood boil. Cut the c*nts hand off is right !

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭phenomenalcat

Amazingfun wrote: »
    Any chance you can tell us how he had it locked, what kind of lock, etc?

Sorry to your mate btw. Sucks :(

He said it was a crappy cable type lock. Il get more info off him later , no CCTV anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 4 anthony.mccoy

Hey guys, another bike stolen from a shed! This time in Raheny. My garden is fairly secure with a very high and locked side gate. So it would have taken two grown men to lift it over. There was a lock on the shed too but got in anyway.

details are: Charge Plug, dark green, Brown Saddle and Brown bull horns, single speed, All black armadillo tyres, No reflectors on wheels, Back brake removed, small bit of damage to the chrome finish on the tips of the bull horns.

2 year old but looks like new, coz I loved it and took real good care of it : ( Could have been stolen anytime in the last few weeks as I was away and only just got back.

Thanks

jaymack75 wrote: »

This was my px a couple of days ago, it still has the Dura Ace 7900 crankset, the chain and carbon bottle cages and a polar CS100 cycle computer. Luckily for me, I took the shifters off since taking the pic.

23kYwhzl.jpg

I could only find a stock image of the OCR - it's the right colour, but I've upgraded all the original components from the 9spd triple shown to 10speed double 105. It has black planet-x model B wheels with Stelvio tyres. This bike has lots of cosmetic marks and scratches character and sentimental value. The frame and the forks are marked from the mudguards

MNXBsHVl.jpg

If anyone sees them, I'd be so delighted to hear back.
    Thanks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭tjc28

Had my Bianchi Camaleonte stolen yesterday daytime from the underground car park of the Smithfield Market apartments.
    Same as the one in the pic.
    They didn't actually cut the lock but they cut through the bike rack to release the lock.
    Only got the bike three weeks ago.
    If anyone see's it around get in touch.

Philadelphia police use bicycles as bait to catch bike thieves http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/09/05/philadelphia-cops-using-decoy-bikes-to-catch-thieves/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Philadelphia police use bicycles as bait to catch bike thieves http://newsfeed.time.com/2013/09/05/philadelphia-cops-using-decoy-bikes-to-catch-thieves/

I think that's against the law over here :rolleyes:

Was only thinking of setting up a bit of a trap only to photograph the guys doing it, or maybe follow them to their lair and inform the Garda. Or post on youtube and facebook and use some internet bullying. This post will probably be deleted.

Inbox wrote: »

What I'd love would be if the prank TV show installed a baby monitor into a bike and pranked bike thieves with the bike apparently crying and whimpering "don't steal me! please don't steal me! I'm so happy with Emma", and filmed the thieves' reaction. And similar pranks.

I don't think it *is* against the law to leave something there and arrest someone for stealing (though I'm open to correction); what *would* be against the law (I think) is what the Fenians used to call 'felon-setting' - a cop would go into a group, present himself as the real hard man and *suggest* to them that they do a criminal act, and *supply* them with the means of doing it, like dynamite.

Edit: Sacramento police have arrested a bunch of bicycle thieves by using two GPS-tracked bait bikes http://www.sacbee.com/2013/09/07/5714538/sacramento-police-use-bait-bikes.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭Zyzz

Inbox wrote: »

Was only thinking of setting up a bit of a trap only to photograph the guys doing it, or maybe follow them to their lair and inform the Garda. Or post on youtube and facebook and use some internet bullying. This post will probably be deleted.

Id be up for doing that aswel.

In for *Boards.ie Bike Sting Crew*

Advertisement