Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Downloads very slow (tethering)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭johnser

Just to add. My ISP test gives me on average from 9mb to 12mb (from 15Mb)

Also I've just ran a ping on hotfile and am getting very bad consistant pings of 250ms, where upc.ie and rapidshare.com are giving <12ms.

Tried the same file again and its 8.3kb from hotfile. Only tried it about 20 minutes before from the exact same server in work and 480mb.

I've had enough of UPC and just sent in my cancellation. Not the first time this has happened.

Our estate had this for months before and UPC said everything was fine. we have a forum here and everyone was complaining and eventually they came out and replace a route as it was maxed out.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

HF is seriously ****ed at the moment. Downloading some files there, 1st one was going at around 900kb a sec, and now the rest of them are going at 30kb, even after the 1st is finished. So it's got to be Hotfile. Also, downloading 5 files at the moment, 2 are going at 600kb, the other 3 are 20kb. Doesnt matter if i stop the 1st two, the slow ones stay at around 20kb. So it's got to be individual servers in HF that are causing the problem.

Anyone tried Megaupload or Fileserve lately?

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

I downloaded about 4 demos last night on ps3 (each about 700mb). Normally from Sony they fly in but last night they took hours.

Haven't tested it today yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭waster81

Hotfile premium 13kb
    Filsonic free 200kb
    Filserve free 300kb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

UPC - 15mb

Rapidshare links coming down at 1.7mb

hotfile - 20kb

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alperez

It's definetly hotfile and not upc, i have premium rapidshare, depositfiles and filesonic accounts and all are working fine. Hotfile premium just jumps all over the place.

I downloaded or should i say tried to download 5 different files from hotfile using links from 5 different sites and was getting pretty inconsistent speeds ranging from 1.2 mb to 20 to 30 kbs last night. All of these from my home computer on a upc 30 meg account. Surely if Upc were at fault the speed would be more consistent, it makes no sense that they would just throttle some hotfile servers and not others.

Not to mention the simple fact that every other host is working fine and that on practically every board its not just upc customers complaining about hotfile. After rapidshares fall from grace hotfile kinda became the go to host with an almost universal percentage of former rapid users changing over, i guess they just couldn't handle the strain.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

It's deffo UPC for me as I getting meg down, not 15. I have premiums too etc, they go so slow here. 10x slower than usual

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 alperez

It's deffo UPC for me as I getting meg down, not 15. I have premiums too etc, they go so slow here. 10x slower than usual

Sorry to hear that, i just noticed your download pic and you seem to be having issues with upc and not with any of the filehosts. But there is also a seperate issue with hotfile which is what i was posting about. Even with upc working perfectly it makes no real difference to the download speed from hotfile at the minute. There seems to be a serious problem with hotfile's servers which has really only flared up recently.

Upc's own issues don't help but in regards to hotfile aren't the problem imo.

Dont think that its with HF, as when I try all the links from work they download fine, but from home I get 7kb - 30kb.

I was getting 30kb today which is better than what i was getting.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I setup a MU account yesterday, and was downloading at 1.7mb a second. Happy days.

HF is still shot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Rebel021

Kiith wrote: »
    I setup a MU account yesterday, and was downloading at 1.7mb a second. Happy days.

HF is still shot though.
    Its not even that the speeds are terrible
    I haven't received 1 reply to the 2 emails I've sent them

• Registered Users Posts: 21 rmcrawte

I am having the same problem with UPC and Hotfile so to rule out Hotfile as the problem I just tried tethering my iPhone to my laptop and used the O2 network to download the same file from Hotfile and the download speed jumped form 29kb/s with UPC to 500kb/s with O2. I switched back to UPC and was back down to 40kb/s. Ringing UPC now to explain.

Update: UPC aware of the issue and are investigating.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

My problem seems to be different as said, now if i restart my wireless router I get full speed but after a while it drops to 1 meg again and I rr again

Yeap last night I got about 250 -350Kb for the first few files and then back to the usual 7kb.

I got proper connection speeds on all my hotfile downloads last night. Fingers crossed it's permanently fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭clvk07

Hi

I was wondering if you still get proper speeds with hotfile... my sub has expired and need to chose one provider.... thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭flamegrill

I got UPC on Friday. For most of Saturday it was ok up until around 5pm. Now normal downloads in a browser go at around 200-300KB/s. The odd thing is that the same downloader in Jdownloader with "10 connections" per file it'll come down at full speed.

The attached file shows download speeds using Jdownloader and snagging files from RS. Seems fairly decent, but it's annoying that normal downloads don't work properly.

Forgot to mention that downloads on my Magnet 10Meg from any source where UPC is slow run at full speed.

Paul

Yes, I have achieved consistently fast speeds using jdownloader since I posted that last message.

Another UPC user here, i too get ****ty HF speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Skidmcmarx

This is not specific to HF. I and many others are experiencing identical issues on MU. Seems to be a problem on MU server end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,891 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Hotfile very slow for me for the last couple of days on UPC Galway, previously downloading @ 1.5mb/s now Im stuck at 50kb/s! Anyone know whats going on?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭e21man

I am the same from today speeds were fine yesterday today im getting 200kbs down from 3.6mbps whats going on????

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Thargor wrote: »
    Hotfile very slow for me for the last couple of days on UPC Galway, previously downloading @ 1.5mb/s now Im stuck at 50kb/s! Anyone know whats going on?

I've the same.. I normally download at 1.9MB but today and yesterday it's at .3 or .4

When i run a speed test it's only at 5.5MB when i'm on 15MB..... Grrrrrrrrr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭NeVeR

NeVeR wrote: »
    I've the same.. I normally download at 1.9MB but today and yesterday it's at .3 or .4

When i run a speed test it's only at 5.5MB when i'm on 15MB..... Grrrrrrrrr

only getting 100kbs now !!!!

Only getting 20kb/s now, I am not having a good Hotfile experience since I made the switch from Rapidshare :(

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Speeds are crap for me too (Dundrum). Was averaging 60K when it is usually beyond 1.2M for UPC 15 meg.

Also, pings in WoW vary greatly from around 200 to 2500. Makes it extremely unplayable despite this:

29360307.png

1054713948.png

Yep, the problem is back again since yesterday. Has been fine last month and a half. Need to ring UPC again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Just downloaded a 161MB driver file from Nvidia and that took about 70-80 seconds.

Seems to just be hotfile affected :(

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭Grim_Wreeper

Just downloaded a 161MB driver file from Nvidia and that took about 70-80 seconds.

Seems to just be hotfile affected :(

Is this a common thing??

cause I just bought a hotfile account an hour ago and the download speed is el terrible!!

• Advertisement

I switched to HF last month and have been downloading at 1.5 mb/s since then, in the last 3 days this crap started so not common no but judging by this thread it has happened before, they better not be throttling it deliberately.

Advertisement