Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS: Airis T920 or Garmin Nuvi 310/360?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭Stimpyone

eirlink wrote:
    Did as you said and this is the screen.This about screen informs the user of the version of the "Navigate " software from route 66 which is running on their system.The version reference has nothing to do with Navteq.
    In this case its 7.0.990

It does NOT inform the user as to which map data they have.If you load older maps this about screen does not change!

The only reference to 2006 pertains to the copyright that Route 66 have in relation to the navigate product.this copyright is valid from 1993 to date.in this case 2006.
    pc_capture1.jpg

well done to pixmania,very good price for this unit.lack of the mp3 player will have helped in this regard,but most people wont miss that feature anyway.

eirlink... your about navigate screen seems to have different info than mine. Don't have the unit with me at the moment but it definitely mentions Q2/2006, I'm not sure but I think it's also mentioned on the enclosed map disk.

http://www.66.com/route66/products/2006/gbr_en_7500_ppc/images/retailboxes.png

Can anybody else verify this?.

• Registered Users Posts: 844 ✭✭✭eirlink

just checked my disk package and mine is route66 navigate 7 (UK and Ireland )for
    personal navigation devices....
    your link shows up the software as being for Pocket pc! (Europe)

so are pixmania shipping the pocket pc version with the Airis which btw is a PND(personal navigation device) not a ppc ???

Stimpyone wrote:

??thats the european software for SMARTPHONES??

eirlink wrote:
    ??thats the european software for SMARTPHONES??

OK listen forget about until I get home and have a proper look at the DVD cover.

But I'm 100% positive that the software that arrived with my Airis on Friday morning at 10.07am from Pixmaina is Q2/2006, as indicated in the help section of the actual GPS. Make of it as you will.

• Advertisement

no worries...sure have a look and let us know.

the cd cover i have shows a picture of the Airis itself in someones hand..Just uk and ireland are shown in red in the graphic at top.

Stimpyone...just curious,did you get a SD card AND the dvd in the box.What size card did you get.Reason i ask is cause i got cd with Q4 2005 but the R66 branded SD card had Q1 2006 on it.after backing this up I then loaded Q2 onto it.
    So at present i have Q4 2005 on cd, Q1 and Q2 2006 backed up and Q2 running in airis.

just check that what you have on DVD matches your SD card.I would backup the SD card as a precaution.

Piccies of the About Navigate page and Route 66 Navigate DVD box that came with my order.

Pixmaina are shipping with Q2/2006.

Good stuff.seems you got yourself a bargain so.well done to OP for letting us know.i wonder why the about screen does not mention europe,seeing as the DVD contains european maps

anyway,enjoy.how does the battery hold up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Just got mine there now, can someone confirm that the following items should have been included:
    DVD (I got the DVD box, but no disk in it)
    SD card (missing)
    Mains charger (missing)
    Instruction manual (missing).

Also, nothing appears to be loaded on it?
    I get this screen when I try to go into the maps:
    dsc00069vz0.jpg

Very disappointed, will be contacting pixmania as soon as someone confirms that these items should have been in the box... :mad:

Is there supposed to be an external antenna as well?
    Can't believe someone took all the stuff out of my package.
    Sent a complaint to Pixmania, see if they can redeem themselves...
    :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement

BigCon wrote:
    Just got mine there now, can someone confirm that the following items should have been included:
    DVD (I got the DVD box, but no disk in it)
    SD card (missing)
    Mains charger (missing)
    Instruction manual (missing).

Also, nothing appears to be loaded on it?
    I get this screen when I try to go into the maps:
    dsc00069vz0.jpg

Very disappointed, will be contacting pixmania as soon as someone confirms that these items should have been in the box... :mad:
    Big Con. sorry to hear that.

Items included should be.

USB cable
    Car holder
    Car charger
    Route 66 navigate 7 DVD (this includes the route 66 software manual)
    T920 Airis manual Disk.
    SD card. ( France was perloaded on mine )

There is no mains charger ( at home it charges through the USB cable, this kind of peed me off at first but I realized that the Motorola V3 phone it uses the same mains connection )
    No external antenna either.

What condition did the box arrive in?. When mine was delivered it seemed to me that somebody had a right good look at it ( general appearance that it had be opened ), so much so that I would not sign for it until I checked all the contents.

Hope you get things sorted, I know how much of a head wrecker those situations are....... especially with Pixmaina.

Box was sealed with the DHL sticker, so I had no problems signing for it. Even the Airis box was hard to open, that's why I was suprised to find so much stuff missing.
    I'll see what Pixmania say tomorrow...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭pm.

Hope you get things sorted, I know how much of a head wrecker those situations are....... especially with Pixmaina.[/QUOTE]

ok after hearing about the great deal with pixmaina my 2 mates want me to get one for them, but from the negative remarks from bigcon and yourself im not to sure what to do, i already bought 2 from mysatnav.ie and they arrived by post in perfect condition, i know i was ripped off when you compare prices but the 2 i got had everything and the package wasent tampered with, who delivers it for pixmaina? let us know how you get on bigcon.

DHL do the delivering.
    Will let you know how things go...

pm. wrote:
    Hope you get things sorted, I know how much of a head wrecker those situations are....... especially with Pixmaina.
    pm. wrote:
    ok after hearing about the great deal with pixmaina my 2 mates want me to get one for them, but from the negative remarks from bigcon and yourself im not to sure what to do, i already bought 2 from mysatnav.ie and they arrived by post in perfect condition, i know i was ripped off when you compare prices but the 2 i got had everything and the package wasent tampered with, who delivers it for pixmaina? let us know how you get on bigcon.

I've had problems with deliveries from Pixmaina before, but these were due to restock issues, not the actual deliveries themselves.

Basically if it say's that the item is in stock on their web page things will generally be ok. However their restock dates are fairy tales and I wouldn't order on the strength of it.

I don't think the opening of packages is down to Pixmaina as I've had packages opened when I've ordered from other online shops ( komplett for example ). It's also happened when using different courier companies.

Bottom line is don't sign for it until you have inspected it.

Stimpyone wrote:
    Bottom line is don't sign for it until you have inspected it.

That's not practical - if the box is damaged or opened fair enough, but it would have taken 5 mintes to open the 2 boxes and even then I probably wouldn't have noticed that the SD card was missing (I wouldn't have copped the missing DVD straight away either as the box was there).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Colly

pm. wrote:

Jasus that is cr*p, I have bought a few things from pixmania and all has gone well. Bought a nuvi 360 for my dads birthday and all was there. I wonder if the boxes and all were sealed parts were not put in at the factory or Airis side. Not that makes any difference you bought it from pixmania so it is up to them to sort it. Pixmania are a French company so you are covered by European law so you have as much rights buying it there as you would have had at buying it on the high street so they will have to resolve the issue. From hearing this I won't care how irate the DHL delivery guy is I will want to open the next thing I buy online to at least have a quick scan of the contents. I believe you have two to three weeks where by you can return it with no explanation and get a full refund but a replacement may suffice, just a pain in the h*le I guess.

Yeah I noticed the restock date just keeps getting pushed out alright. Wait for it to say in stock. They have always answered my calls on there support line. Check out oasis government website Looks like the cool off period is 7 days so treaten that if you don't get a return code you will be returning the product outright. Best to stick to your guns but be nice to them at the same time until you get what you want. I wounldn't go in with consumer law at the start lets just say. Can happen in any shop or any online store. All my experiences have been good with pixmania.

Looks like other people are having problems with Airis devices and bought it from other sources mysatnav.ie . Guess it is the look of the draw and the issue maybe at the factory rather than the retailer. Your contract is still with the retailer though.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054993070

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

I bought mine from mysatnav.ie.

Delivered next day.
    Works just fine.
    Has the Q2 maps.

I'm happy.

jaycee wrote:

Delivered next day.
    Works just fine.
    Has the Q2 maps.

I'm happy.

That is good, don't forget the €180 odd Euro poorer though for buying it from a dearer retailer. I would prefer to buy it from pixmania as we have reports of issues with the device from both retailers so it is the luck of the draw and probably comes down to the manufacturer more so than the retailer so I would error on the side of paying a fair price and save myself €180 (as that is alot of money in my eyes to save)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭jaycee

Actually .. about €100 more expensive for the model I bought.
    Part of the reason I decided to go that route , pardon the pun ..is that
    if I had a problem , those guys are easier to get than Pixmania.

I think of it as Insurance.
    It worked out ok for me , and I'm prepared to spend the extra for the peace of mind ...other aren't ..Fine!

A cheaper price and a more remote dealer is fine too ..
    IF everything goes to plan ..

jaycee wrote:
    Actually .. about €100 more expensive for the model I bought.
    Part of the reason I decided to go that route , pardon the pun ..is that
    if I had a problem , those guys are easier to get than Pixmania.

I think of it as Insurance.
    It worked out ok for me , and I'm prepared to spend the extra for the peace of mind ...other aren't ..Fine!

A cheaper price and a more remote dealer is fine too ..
    IF everything goes to plan ..

True everyone has there own justifications which is nice to have and what the tinternet gives us (choice).

Good luck with it and enjoy.

Col

jaycee wrote:

Delivered next day.
    Works just fine.
    Has the Q2 maps.

I'm happy.

Good stuff Jaycee...glad youre enjoying those wonderful maps,and that you chose to buy irish!

Stay tuned for news on Q3
    Dusty1609 wrote:
    Right I've ordered one from Pixmania, so I'll post back when I get it and let you know what its like and what maps it has.

Wonder how Dusty1609 got on with his pixmania experience??

eirlink wrote:
    Good stuff Jaycee...glad youre enjoying those wonderful maps,and that you chose to buy irish!

Stay tuned for news on Q3

Wonder how Dusty1609 got on with his pixmania experience??

:rolleyes:

-I'd prefer to be 180 euros the richer and to know some Irish website wasn't ripping me off

-The problems with Airis doesn't seem to be isolated to Pixmaina as somebody else pointed out earlier.

-Any problem I've had with pixmaina have been throughly sorted out, even if they did take a little more time than I liked.

-Have mysatnav.ie got the exclusive rights to Q3 maps or something?:confused:

-Heading to Spain on Friday, lucky Pixmaina supplyed the maps for the rest of Europe.

Stimpyone wrote:
    :rolleyes:

-I'd prefer to be 180 euros the richer and to know some Irish website wasn't ripping me off

-The problems with Airis doesn't seem to be isolated to Pixmaina as somebody else pointed out earlier.

-Any problem I've had with pixmaina have been throughly sorted out, even if they did take a little more time than I liked.

-Have mysatnav.ie got the exclusive rights to Q3 maps or something?:confused:

-Heading to Spain on Friday, lucky Pixmaina supplyed the maps for the rest of Europe.

-me too ! if i knew in time :o

-true,pixmania only retail

-great, just some of us like to buy in shops

-dont know,you`d have to ask them.I have no connections with them whatsoever

-enjoy your trip

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Dusty1609

Sorry I took so long to get back to you, but it took longer to arrive from pixmania than expected and then I went over to the UK for a Long weekend (with the T920)

As quoted here already, it does have the latest maps and it cost €268 delivered with european maps and a 512mb SD Card.

I used it in the UK all weekend and given the reasonable price it has exceeded my expectations. There are a few things that annoy me (but then I haven't read the manual fully yet)

I can't figure out how to turn of the annoying "click" everytime you touch the screen with the stylus. Very annoying when you're setting a route in a quiet room!

You can't save routes only locations.

I haven't figured out how to get it to suggest an alternate route, other than deviating from the route and letting it recalculate.

The list of POIs isn't great, for example I was in a town where I know there to be 6-7 ATMs but it only showed one.

As I said though, for the money its great, its easy to use, it works out routes quickly and recalculates quickly with minimum fuss (none of the "Please turn around" that I have heard from other systems.

I'm off to Italy with it in a week so we'll see how it does over there.

Cheers

Dusty1609 wrote:

I'm off to Italy with it in a week so we'll see how it does over there.

Cheers
    Enjoy your trip don't forget to put on a password or security coordinate, so when you go to that location it unlocks (Garmin have it Airis also may) just encase anyone were to get there hands on it as they are the in thing these days and highly visible.

But I am sure you will be fine.

Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kaiphas

I ordered the Aris unit from Pixmania last Saturday (couldn't wait any longer for the feedback!). I chased DHL today and discovered they have lost the package, they can see if arrived into Dublin on Tuesday and has just disappeared off their radar (the irony of a GPS unit being lost).
    They won't be able to tell me anything further until next week - not Pixmanias fault I know but a P.I.T.A. none the less.
    Maybe in hindsight the satnav.ie option would have made more sense, for an extra €100 would now have the unit and wouldn't be facing into a paperwork nightmare with DHL/Pixmania. Looking at it now the extra ton over the life of the unit would be bugger all for the peace of mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I ordered one from Pixmania last Sunday (17th). It was dispatched on Wednesday (20th), and the postman (:confused:) delivered it this morning (22nd).
    I wasn't here at the time, so I didn't get to ask why the postman was delivering a DHL package.

Anyhow, it all looks complete, including the Q2 maps and a 512mb memory card.
    Also in the outer box with the Airis package was an Euro-Irish mains plug adaptor.
    I have no idea why, as there's no mains charger with the Airis.
    Bonus! I guess :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Rovi wrote:
    I ordered one from Pixmania last Sunday (17th). It was dispatched on Wednesday (20th), and the postman (:confused:) delivered it this morning (22nd).
    I wasn't here at the time, so I didn't get to ask why the postman was delivering a DHL package.

Anyhow, it all looks complete, including the Q2 maps and a 512mb memory card.
    Also in the outer box with the Airis package was an Euro-Irish mains plug adaptor.
    I have no idea why, as there's no mains charger with the Airis.
    Bonus! I guess :rolleyes:

when you say "adaptor" is it a wire with mains plug on one end and usb on other

be careful.....it needs to step the voltage down to 5v AND send it thru unit on correct pinouts.
    Does it have mini usb on it?
    does it say the ouptut voltage on the plug side?

Advertisement