Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raspberry PI $25 PC

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭one man clappin

Hi folks
    I am thinking of doing a project for my 3rd and final year in college using Raspberry Pi. I am studying IT Support, with emphasis on databases, system admin and networking. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

How are your linux skills?

Linux skills would not be great, only started this year. But that said I am probably going to go down that route and try do Systems Administration after college, so I am willing to work hard at Linux.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

When is the project due? March ish? Just trying to determine how much time you have.

Yes due in March, but also all the work has to be documented and presented to the lecturer also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Asterisk + Rpi = raspberry-asterisk

Once the basics are working then add a UI and MySQL for CDR, voice mail, phone book, etc.

One thing to note, it's fairly easy to get Asterisk working with a soft phone so if you could pick up some actual phones it will look better. ISDN bank or FXO Gateway to complete your set up.

There should be a similar phone system running in the college which you might be able to leverage some equipment of :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭TT09

Just got my rpi yesterday have 1channel and navi-x installed but can't get anything to work, it gets to the menus on 1channel but then when i click most popular or featured it gets connection failed same with navi-x,

I have eircom and it's connected through ethernet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I just tested streaming from RPI (1280x720 30 fps info here) - works quite well.

Now I'm trying to set RPI as wifi hot spot, but the dongle that I have doesn't support Access Point mode. I'm going to buy something with external high gain antenna, 802.11G is enough. Any advice what to buy / avoid?
    I'm using external USB hub £21 version, so power supply shouldn't be a problem. The hub works also as power supply for RPI :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Anyone else make the mistake of ordering from rs? Waiting 7 weeks for 3 units now and still no sign of despatch.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,815 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Anyone else make the mistake of ordering from rs? Waiting 7 weeks for 3 units now and still no sign of despatch.
    Yep, cancel and go with Farnell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Wow.. a month to the day. Wish I'd seen this before:

Shipping between Last order number shipped
    5th – 11th November 1010139000
    12th – 18th November 1010154000
    19th – 25th November 1010163000
    26th Nov – 2nd Dec 1010175000
    3rd – 9th December 1010184000
    10th – 16th December 1010211000
    17th – 23rd December 1010246000

My order no is 1010192***. I'd let it slide if I thought 100% it would arrive before christmas, but i'm just not feeling confident about RS now

• Registered Users Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭shizz

If I was to order from Farnell now (CPC), any idea how long it would take for delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

shizz wrote: »
    If I was to order from Farnell now (CPC), any idea how long it would take for delivery?

Took about 2 weeks or just under when ordered around the 8th of November. Was really impressed by cpc tbh, their prices for accessories are alright too.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭Screaming Monkey

anyone got a quick recommendation/site for a cheap external power adaptor with micro usb cable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭M00lers

anyone got a quick recommendation/site for a cheap external power adaptor with micro usb cable

I use one of these, seems to work fine, I've seen it recommend somewhere else for the RPi.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

So Farnell is the fastest place to get a Pi I take. Thinking of making the splash at last and would be nice to have it over Christmas if possible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/products.php?cat=26

I ordered a while back and it was shipped next day...

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

john47832 wrote: »
    http://www.newit.co.uk/shop/products.php?cat=26

I ordered a while back and it was shipped next day...

Just seconding newit. Got another Pi from them yesterday! :D

I ordered thursday morn, it was shipped friday morning and arrived on monday. I think it was about 2/3€ more than farnell in total. Small price to pay to guarantee it before christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭Seán MacSuibhne

Anybody using powered a USB hub to power the Raspberry Pi?

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Anybody using powered a USB hub to power the Raspberry Pi?

Seán
    Yes, and it works works really good.

• Advertisement

Has any one got any experience with HDMI to VGA Adaptors / Cables for Raspberry Pi?
    There are some on Amazon.co.uk but there are some reviewers say the cables don't work.

There are some cheap converters but the people who say they work haven't reviewed anything else and the people who say they don't work have reviewed other products!

ebay.ie also has similar looking products.

Any one have any good experience with these products?

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭GreenWolfe

Has any one got any experience with HDMI to VGA Adaptors / Cables for Raspberry Pi?
    There are some on Amazon.co.uk but there are some reviewers say the cables don't work.

There are some cheap converters but the people who say they work haven't reviewed anything else and the people who say they don't work have reviewed other products!

Seán

The converter must be active. Simple cables that only convert the plug from HDMI to VGA won't work.

I got something like this (except in white). It was okay at first, but it developed a red tinge at the corner of the screen over time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

How are these for dedicated video playback? Wouldn't be doing anything else with it whatsoever, just playback of 720p MKVs. Currently using a netbook for same purpose at my parents place, but it'd be nice to set up one of these for them instead (partly so I take my netbook back :p)

It'd also be hooked up to an amp, so I assume I could just use a 3.5 to rca-f for that, whilst still using the hdmi for video out? I have a feeling I couldn't do that in Android though? Cos the HDMI just carries sound/video, is there an option in linux/android to choose sound out independent of the hdmi?

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭arodabomb

How are these for dedicated video playback? Wouldn't be doing anything else with it whatsoever, just playback of 720p MKVs. Currently using a netbook for same purpose at my parents place, but it'd be nice to set up one of these for them instead (partly so I take my netbook back :p)

It'd also be hooked up to an amp, so I assume I could just use a 3.5 to rca-f for that, whilst still using the hdmi for video out? I have a feeling I couldn't do that in Android though? Cos the HDMI just carries sound/video, is there an option in linux/android to choose sound out independent of the hdmi?

I have one setup as a dedicated media centre, using raspbmc (xbian and openelec are similar). Working grand for me. Have it set up with an external drive for playing videos (handles everything in my library, mostly 1080/720p mkvs). Very fast experience and uses a tiny amount of power so it is left on most of the time.

I had it set up with VODie to get the irish channels streamed on it, but that broke a while ago, not sure when/if it will work again. Currently using filmon.tv and I can watch all the british channels, BBC/ITV Film4, Channel5 etc for free on it. V.handy.

Raspbmc is controllable via CEC as well, so you can just use the tv remote to control it too, which is very handy. IT works with airplay and samsung Allshare , so you can send video from your mobile/laptop etc. You can also send youtube videos to it (only working for me on chrome for some reason).

I'm also using it to stream my media collection around the house (plan will be rpi's in every room eventually).

All in all I'm very happy with it as a media player. I haven't used xbian/openelec since the start, but raspbmc is getting better and better with each release candidate, so the final version should be awesome! For about 50€ all in you can't really beat it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I saw one of these recommended on the Pi forum so bought one myself recently, works fine :)

D.

The converter must be active. Simple cables that only convert the plug from HDMI to VGA won't work.

I got something like this (except in white). It was okay at first, but it developed a red tinge at the corner of the screen over time.

Thanks for the feedback. It will suit me as it doesn't need a display all the time.

Seán

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭BENDERS LINKS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭jameshayes

Really annoyed with myself! I ordered one of these through farnell, cancelled the order (so I thought) because I heard newit were quicker, ended up getting 2 delivered within a week and charged for both!! Since then I haven't even had the chance to open 1 of the boxes because of work! I cant wait for christmas so I have a few days off to set this up properly

Seán

I got this one, http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0088K7QUQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00 just £11 on amazon and works fine. You need to alter the config files in rasp wheezy or openelec because when you use this converter the Pi cannot detect that it should output the video feed as HDMI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 magoko101

+1 on Newit... ordered at lunchtime today.... and it's just after being shipped...

Advertisement