Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A boat full of carbs

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,830 ✭✭✭doozerie

I find myself relying on cheese, mostly mature cheddar, a lot. I’ve been making a real effort to reduce my protein intake recently so I’ve reduced the size of my meat/fish portions while maintaining my (protein rich) cheese intake for the fats. Meat and fish are still in my diet in some form or other almost every day though.

I do currently have some meals that are veg-only in my diet, and there are others that I have yet to try, I really need to seek out more though. Cheese plays a big part in many of these:
    * Aubergine, sliced, cooked in olive oil and topped with a combination of mozzarella and parmesan. Very tasty and filling, it’s a recipe from a Nigel Slater book at home and it’s very low in carbs. Will dig out the recipe later.
    * Vegetarian pizza. Not so low in carbs but works out okay for me on a training day. My wife makes the pizza base so we know exactly what goes into it and can tweak it if necessary, and of course the toppings are whatever you want.
    * Vegetarian lasagne. For training days for me too because of the pasta. I’ve read a suggestion of using aubergine slices in place of the lasagne though, which I’m curious to try.
    * Mushrooms in creamy sauce. We have a recipe somewhere at home for this which is basically like beef goulash but with mushrooms instead of beef, I must dig it out as I haven’t had it in ages. In place of pasta I might try strips of courgette fried in butter - I tried that recently and found it reasonably tasty as a pasta alternative (my first time trying a julienne peeler, I see it being used a lot more).
    * Chickpeas are another alternative as a basis for a meal, though it can be tricky to keep the carb total down when using them.
    * For lunches I use mayonnaise a lot, though I guess that “Open jar, eat with spoon” isn’t much of a “recipe” :)

I’ve recently taken to having strawberries and cream after dinner too. My dinner was small and rushed last night as I was racing off to spectate at a race, and I was very hungry by the time I got back home a few hours later. I whipped up 150ml of cream and chucked in 100g of strawberries and that sorted out my hunger.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

AstraMonti wrote: »
    Do you guys cook any non meat dishes

Not intentionally. But if there is no meat there is usually butter, olive oil, coconut oil, cheese, eggs, avocados or nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I am not worried about my total protein intake, more the red meat one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭i_surge

Why?

I thought the (possibly outdated???) advice for reducing red meat is centered around reducing saturated fat?

More fish is always good :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

What's wrong with red meat?

• Advertisement

I am not saying there is something wrong with it, I just consume a lot more than I think I should. I don't remember for example in the last 2-3 weeks having a day without meat, be that breakfast, lunch, dinner or snacks! And while the studies about saturated fat and red meats are outdated, the ones about colon cancer are not (although I was reading a couple of days ago that it was coming down to the way of cooking, and not so much about red meat itself).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Just a quick post on nutrition for 440km 27km ish pace very flat Fleche ride even though I'm the only non racer posting here!
    Decent fatty breakfast 2hrs before start.
    170km first food of small of bowl of chowder and fistful of nuts.
    240km 250ml cream.
    325km. Apple. Soup.Meat cheese sandwich with 2 squares 81% cocoa chocolate. Nuts (200g total for day)
    405km small fry(7am and very cold more than hungry)
    440km more coffee!

Felt good all day and if considering going keto for MF1200 but not sure if I want to be messing with ketone strips and glucose levels etc

@ford2600, That's an impressive ride, fair play! I've wondered what mid-ride nutrition would be required over that kind of distance on a low-carb diet and what you've listed there is less than I would have expected, thanks for sharing it.

Re ketone testing, the Ketonix breath tester claims to be a viable alternative to the "gold standard" of blood ketone testing. Compared to expensive blood ketone strips it is relatively cheap since it is reusable. However, having dug around for reviews and experiences of it it seems that its accuracy, if reliable at all, is influenced by a bunch of things like how hard you breathe into it, whether you've just deeply inhaled a lung full of "clean" air before exhaling into it, etc. One review I read of it compared its results directly against those of blood ketones strips and it wasn't entirely consistent (and it gives a far less accurate measure too, telling you a band that you fall within rather than giving actual figures), but the reviewer found it a useful indicator of their current state. The same reviewer had been in contact with the developer and apparently an upgrade was imminent, that was dated a few months back but I don't know if the model currently available via the website is the old or updated version. There are also some doubts about the usefulness/reliability of measuring acetone in the breath to start with, so even if it does measure that accurately it is debatable whether that really tells you anything anyway.

The gadget nerd in me finds it interesting though. I don't wish to go keto but I am curious as to how close, or how far, from that I am on any given day (very far from it, I'm assuming, but I'm not entirely sure even if/how I'd know) and blood ketone strips seem like a very expensive means of satisfying that mild curiosity. I'm going to keep an eye out for further reviews of the Ketonix device to see how it fares.

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭DaithiMC

doozerie wrote: »
    @ford2600, That's an impressive ride, fair play! I've wondered what mid-ride nutrition would be required over that kind of distance on a low-carb diet and what you've listed there is less than I would have expected, thanks for sharing it.

Re ketone testing, the Ketonix breath tester claims to be a viable alternative to the "gold standard" of blood ketone testing. Compared to expensive blood ketone strips it is relatively cheap since it is reusable. However, having dug around for reviews and experiences of it it seems that its accuracy, if reliable at all, is influenced by a bunch of things like how hard you breathe into it, whether you've just deeply inhaled a lung full of "clean" air before exhaling into it, etc. One review I read of it compared its results directly against those of blood ketones strips and it wasn't entirely consistent (and it gives a far less accurate measure too, telling you a band that you fall within rather than giving actual figures), but the reviewer found it a useful indicator of their current state. The same reviewer had been in contact with the developer and apparently an upgrade was imminent, that was dated a few months back but I don't know if the model currently available via the website is the old or updated version. There are also some doubts about the usefulness/reliability of measuring acetone in the breath to start with, so even if it does measure that accurately it is debatable whether that really tells you anything anyway.

The gadget nerd in me finds it interesting though. I don't wish to go keto but I am curious as to how close, or how far, from that I am on any given day (very far from it, I'm assuming, but I'm not entirely sure even if/how I'd know) and blood ketone strips seem like a very expensive means of satisfying that mild curiosity. I'm going to keep an eye out for further reviews of the Ketonix device to see how it fares.

The ketone that is best to measure to assess for ketosis is betahydroxybutyrate as it is more abundant in the ketone mix than the other ketones (78% cf. 20% for acetoacetate and 2% for acetone). Measuring acetone and acetoacetate, although more volatile, and therefore more amenable to breath-testing, result in even less precision because their concentrations are lower than BHB.

Typically a handheld (Point of Care) meter needs to only hit about 20% CV precision to be considered acceptable, though the guidelines are getting stricter. At 20% this can really only be used for trend analysis over a number of measurements as opposed to being used as diagnostic of ketosis, i.e., an early warning system to alert someone to carb up or, if diabetic, treat it appropriately.

The first sign that you can distinguish you are heading into ketogenesis is bad breath, try starving yourself for 8 hours + and you will start to notice a taste in your mouth, this is due in part to the volatile ketones mentioned in your links. Once you recognise this taste you should be able to note it on any other ketogenic form of eating. If you are only mildly curious this should suffice rather than buying the strips.

Link: Beta-Hydroxybutyrate, Serum

I haven't been on the bike for a proper spin for so long now. There is a race on Thursday in Corkeagh park, should be "fun". If I last 4 laps in the group then goal would be achieved haha. Gym is going well though, I really enjoy crossfit.

Unfortunately I think I am fighting a sugar addiction, I need something sugary after every meal. For example in the morning I had 3 eggs with bacon and half an hour ago I had two sirloin steaks with extra butter and spinach/rocket salad with olive oil and vinegar. Now I am lusting for something sweet and it's interesting because I didn't eat anything that can cause my blood sugar to take a dip. Eating an apple is not cutting it, meh...

• Advertisement

I haven't been on the bike for a proper spin for so long now. There is a race on Thursday in Corkeagh park, should be "fun". If I last 4 laps in the group then goal would be achieved haha. Gym is going well though, I really enjoy crossfit.

Unfortunately I think I am fighting a sugar addiction, I need something sugary after every meal. For example in the morning I had 3 eggs with bacon and half an hour ago I had two sirloin steaks with extra butter and spinach/rocket salad with olive oil and vinegar. Now I am lusting for something sweet and it's interesting because I didn't eat anything that can cause my blood sugar to take a dip. Eating an apple is not cutting it, meh...

Try a spoon of coconut fat or fish oil? I know I'm lucky with sugar though reading how hard it can be for others.

Reading Volek and Phinney's " The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living" on amazon cloud I'll let you know if they have answer!

Brushing your teeth right after a meal is something that is often suggested to quieten any lingering cravings. I don't crave sugar, thankfully, but I do find it easy to just keep on nibbling at stuff after a meal, but once I've brushed my teeth it seems to switch off my tendency to graze - it might be purely psychological and teeth brushing just "reminds" me that the meal is finished, but it might help against sugar cravings too, perhaps.

If OP doesn't mind just looking for input of the other fatties who are further down the road.

After 8 months without any carbs, other than fruit and veg I've decided one step further and have removed fruit from diet.
    At almost 39, and having always been very active with one sport or other, I have never felt better, stronger or leaner.

In cutting fruit I've hugely upped my veg intake, every meal now has one or combination of celery/spinach/kale plus peppers. (FFS I got excited after 110km spin today when I opened fridge and saw all three beside each other and butter beside them).

In summary I now eat as follows
    * Fatty coffee to start day
    * Lunch/dinner
    - typically, 4 eggs omelette with copious veg cooked in generous coconut fat, topped with very generous olive oil and butter. Cheese melted on top. Served with large green salad cooked in butter and covered in olive oil
    - meatballs- usually lamb and beef, with green salad and more fat added
    - meat stew, preference for lamb
    - chicken, cooked on veg. Breast meat not eaten but I eat everything else. Chicken juice/fat is delicious
    - meat free salad with eggs, loads of nuts, avocado, greenery, cheese and loads of added fat butter/olive oil
    - fish salad with nuts and more fat added
    - salt and fish oil are only things added to food other than usual herbs peppers etc.

Sounds a little limited but I've never enjoyed my food more (neck and shoulder of lamb slow cooked for 12hrs was dinner yesterday and today). If I snack it is usually greek youghurt with seeds or cheese and nuts- but typically just eat twice a day. The 80% dark chocolate is gone!

My problem is I don't have idea where I am in terms of ketosis; from what I've read on a high fat diet people enter ketosis somewhere 25-100g of carbs. I've no idea what my intake is, haven't time for weighing and messing with scales, so ketosis sticks it is.

My cycling is averaging about 300km a week; with a very simple guide; I don't train if tired or fatigued. It's hard to avoid hills where I live so up I nearly always go, and typically bury myself on 2 or 3 long climbs(20 mins ish), just try to keep a nice cruising pace other than that. Under 160km there is no food on bike, morning fasted cycling hasn't gotten over 130km from memory.

Just curious how anyone else has got on with them and if people have anything to add/advice.

As an aside, currently reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living, by Volek and Pinney. On diet foe almost everyone hdl and triglycerides go in right direction but for some people(including me) LDL goes up. A change from Pattern B to Pattern A seems to fairly universal ( i.e. smaller to bigger particles).

Also interesting of Palmitoleic Acid POA as a very early marker for body going out of kilter on high carb diet.

The bodies preference for saturated as a fuel source, even before other fat types was also interesting.

Anyhow apologies to OP if hijacking thread

-

Apologies to OP if hijacking thread again!

Off fruit for a few weeks and have more or less kept cycling the same.

Had a good test last two days with 100km spins with a lot of climbing. Today was a750m climb followed by a 1300m climb (strava said 5000m total but 2500m would be closer) and plenty lumpy with it. Felt fine with no breakfast or food on bike.

Had lunch an hour later. That wasn't pretty!

Have you seen any difference on your weight since you cut off fruits?

Have you seen any difference on your weight since you cut off fruits?

My weight is the same since I was about 16, just gone 39.

Since August ive lost noticeable fat; belt is a little looser, face is leaner etc but same weight.

Got calipers body fat (however accurate that is) at 13% a month ago. Will get checked again in a few months.

Since I stopped fruit haven't seen any downside yet, my kale spinach etc intake is very high though.

I had a very sweet tooth, and discipline was only thing between me and World record feats of gluttony; staying in very nice hotel with buffet food and zero interest or temptation from desert counter. My eyes lit up when I saw very fatty raw burgers. Big change

No idea if in ketosis or not. I'm a food nazi but I'm not going to start weighing veg!

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I have found this article and related ones on the same website to be quite interesting. The following excerpt is a useful reminder that unless you make a conscious effort to keep track of what you eat, you might unwittingly undermine your own efforts:
    Watch your protein too! When you eat protein in excess of your daily needs – more than 0.8-1.2 g kg-1 body weight (about a deck of cards size of protein each of three meals) – then that extra protein will be converted to glucose (carbs) by the liver through gluconeogenesis. This is the hardest part by far in switching to this sort of eating plan.

And this quote is one of few that I’ve encountered which provide some real figures as a reference:
    Don’t worry about the calories, but look at the grams of protein, carbs and fat you are eating each day.  I would have around 30-40 g of carbs, 120 g protein, and the rest, usually 180-200 g, would be fat (46 year old, 84 kg male with moderate activity level).

All of which convinces me that my approach to this diet is far from ideal. I’ve been focusing on limiting my protein intake to a max of 2g per kilo of body weight, limiting my carb intake to 15% or less and aiming for a fat intake of at least 60% (simple figures taken from a different source, which appealed to the simple person that I am). Monitoring your intake to that degree obviously doesn't appeal to everyone, but I'm pretty anal about most things so one more doesn't hurt :)

In light of the above site, and some other sources, I suspect I’m still eating too much protein (although I still don’t know what would be a sensible/healthy limit for skinny me with my busy lifestyle - it’s tough trying to balance improving muscle mass with trying not to eat too much protein), and by those measures I’m still eating way too many carbs as I frequently go over 100g per day. What’s more, the figure above of 180-200g fat for an 84k moderately active male falls short of what I consume per day, suggesting that my calorie intake per day significantly exceeds his, which is yet another angle for me to reconsider (I only watch calories to ensure I don’t under-eat, but I have been wondering recently how much of the significant volumes of food that I consume daily do I really need).

Time for me to tweak my diet once more, I think, the only true way to find out what really will and won't work for me (cue a heavy sigh from my inner lazy person :) ).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Spotted this for anyone following teh thread. Might be of interest.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10722779
    Abstract
    Excess protein and amino acid intake have been recognized as hazardous potential implications for kidney function, leading to progressive impairment of this organ. It has been suggested in the literature, without clear evidence, that high protein intake by athletes has no harmful consequences on renal function. This study investigated body-builders (BB) and other well-trained athletes (OA) with high and medium protein intake, respectively, in order to shed light on this issue. The athletes underwent a 7-day nutrition record analysis as well as blood sample and urine collection to determine the potential renal consequences of a high protein intake. The data revealed that despite higher plasma concentration of uric acid and calcium, Group BB had renal clearances of creatinine, urea, and albumin that were within the normal range. The nitrogen balance for both groups became positive when daily protein intake exceeded 1.26 g.kg but there were no correlations between protein intake and creatinine clearance, albumin excretion rate, and calcium excretion rate. To conclude, it appears that protein intake under 2. 8 g.kg does not impair renal function in well-trained athletes as indicated by the measures of renal function used in this study

Other that, I haven't been able to keep up with the diet, with a heavily pregnant wife the amount of crap is unreal. It's mainly sweets though that are the main issue. Also I haven't been cycling almost at all, I only go to the gym two times a week for an hour and that's about it.

smcclaw seems to be doing brilliantly in the lchf diet, he was flying on the bike on Saturday.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Is there much details on the lchf diet in this thread? How far would I have to go back to find it?

• Advertisement

There is serious amount of info here but you need to go digging in the posts. There is a lot of info in Pete's thread as well http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056973756

Why are you thinking of switching? What are your goals?

You need to figure out what works best for you, we are all different.

Given your probably conditioned to think fat is bad( as we have been told for many years), you really need to educate yourself on what is really important in a given diet. Properly educating yourself will take time and effort; if you don't you'll probably just end up giving up when your constantly told "your mad, you'll kill yourself will all that fat, cholesterol etc...

BTW it's not all bacon and eggs; I eat high fat and haven't had red meat since Saturday. I did eat a full chicken minus the bones, breast meat and cartilage on Sunday mind. Veg cooked in Chicken and soaked in it's fat is magic.

If your to buy one book, I'd buy Pinney and Volek " The Art and Science of Low Carb High Fat Living"

I think the following are good starting points irrespective of macro breakdown
    * Eat whole foods as much as possible
    * Cook your own food as much as possible
    * Relax, take time out when you eat (stress hormones are great when you need to get your body fired up, you need a whole different set when you want to break down food)
    * If eating meat avoid processed meat; from my farming background I'd strongly favour Irish lamb and beef over everything else. For most part pig meat, poultry and farmed fish is very far removed from it's natural environment and diet to make it a questionable food source. I've been in modern chicken and pig farms and it's not pretty.
    * eat more fish, wild that is. Buy what's in season and plentiful
    * Avoid sugar as much as possible
    * Eat way more veg. I'd found this hard until I started frying it for a few minutes in butter and then covering it in olive oil on plate. Celery, kale, spinach, leek, choy etc are all really delicious, add various nuts, cheese and a few eggs and you have a meat free high fat meal in about 10mins

For me HFLC was an easy transformation, my favourite holidays in terms of food prior to this were Alaska, all trips to France, Portuguse interior; fat is a huge part of diet in all these locations and food is not feared but enjoyed in the preparation and eating.

Best of luck

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

There is serious amount of info here but you need to go digging in the posts. There is a lot of info in Pete's thread as well http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056973756

Interesting.

How do you find it while on the bike?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

@ ford2600, as someone only a couple of months bit down the rabbit hole so far on this lchf diet, did your ldl numbers level off or have you still concerns about them. I know all your other figures are excellent. Does the high ldl concern you - given you can't get your particle size tested here? Or are you just taking it on trust they are big? Or is it a case of everything else is great so why worry?

(sorry for the hi-jack)

kennyb3 wrote: »
    @ ford2600, as someone only a couple of months bit down the rabbit hole so far on this lchf diet, did your ldl numbers level off or have you still concerns about them. I know all your other figures are excellent. Does the high ldl concern you - given you can't get your particle size tested here? Or are you just taking it on trust they are big? Or is it a case of everything else is great so why worry?

(sorry for the hi-jack)

Good question.

I've read a lot on it, heart disease is in family, so it's a serious matter.

Don't think it really matters, big particles or not. There are so many populations which contradict the cholesterol hypothesis that i don't really consider it at all.

While high HDL correlates with lower CVD risk it's not clear from what I've read that increasing it reduces risk, ditto for lowering LDL.

In all my reading, reducing stress is the theory which makes best sense for me. Each to their own I guess!

So we had another "feel well at work" thing today. This time a guy who owns a gym came over. He was full on for low carb/high fat, more on the paleo side though than hardcore lchf. The first 5 mins were the funny ones, when he was asking the people what they thing is healthy for them in the morning, and you could hear all the standard.. juice with kellogs and stuff like that. When he said the best thing to have in the morning is eggs with steak most of them had a laugh.

Anyway, I asked him about my sugar cravings, he thinks I am not eating enough and that I could use some glutamine in water that can help. How can glutamine help though?

[QUOTE=Anyway, I asked him about my sugar cravings, he thinks I am not eating enough and that I could use some glutamine in water that can help. How can glutamine help though?[/QUOTE]

Do you fry most of your meat? Steak, chops etc?

Pinney and Volek harp on a lot about minerals lost through cooking meat anyway other than boiling or stewing.

A lot of the potassium etc is lost in water, pan and seemingly this broth is essential for health. They recommend making drinking broth a daily part of diet.

Heard or read something before(which could of course be complete boll1x) that mineral deficiencies can lead to cravings.

Maybe you just like sugar:)

Most of my meat is cooked in the oven or grilled. Fried is usually my breakfast. And I love sugar, that's the bad thing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

ford2600 wrote: »
    My weight is the same since I was about 16, just gone 39.

Since August ive lost noticeable fat; belt is a little looser, face is leaner etc but same weight.

Got calipers body fat (however accurate that is) at 13% a month ago. Will get checked again in a few months.

Since I stopped fruit haven't seen any downside yet, my kale spinach etc intake is very high though.

I had a very sweet tooth, and discipline was only thing between me and World record feats of gluttony; staying in very nice hotel with buffet food and zero interest or temptation from desert counter. My eyes lit up when I saw very fatty raw burgers. Big change

No idea if in ketosis or not. I'm a food nazi but I'm not going to start weighing veg!

Just wondering ford2600 what fruits were you eating before you stopped? I've been LCHF for the past 3 months now with excellent results but recently I have been introducing fruits again.

Mainly berrys and a little nectarine or peach with some Greek yogurt. I've been doing this (a) because I missed fruit and (b) there is a lot of good stuff in fruit (antioxidants etc) and I would be concerned about the long term impact of not eating fruit. I would be interested to hear your thoughts!

• Advertisement

^Berrys are very much inside the LCHF scheme of allowed foods.

A nice article about red meat: http://anthonycolpo.com/another-bull****-anti-red-meat-study/

And also.. this weight training is strarting to get addictive.. My new deadlift PB is 172.5 kgs, backsquats at 115kgs and boxjumps at 140cms.

Advertisement