Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Digital Switchover - UTV Region (DigitalUK)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,606 ✭✭✭Rick_

Strangely, the last few days MUX A (C23) and MUX D (C34) have been giving me problems when before these were usually rock solid. MUX 2 (C33) has always been problematic. I have never had a problem with MUX 1 or MUX B.

I suppose it's only another 8 months of putting up with it before it corrects itself and I get Saorview as well. I've been putting up with weak signals and break-up for years, what's another 8 months?!

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Mr. Rabbit

Paddy C wrote: »
    Strangely, the last few days MUX A (C23) and MUX D (C34) have been giving me problems when before these were usually rock solid. MUX 2 (C33) has always been problematic. I have never had a problem with MUX 1 or MUX B.

I suppose it's only another 8 months of putting up with it before it corrects itself and I get Saorview as well. I've been putting up with weak signals and break-up for years, what's another 8 months?!

Yep, strange 23 is OK now at this location Paddy. 34 is actually the strongest mux here (and always has been), believe it or not.

As you say, only 8 months to go now so I suppose we can put up with this for a wee while longer. It'll be interesting to see how the new mini mux and Saorview from Clermont Cairn come in at this location. It really should be worth waiting for.

That and the Freeview/Saorview HD.

Interestingly, BBC ONE HD will be the same as virtually having an extra BBC 1 region, as it's BBC 1 England and (thankfully) not BBC 1 NI. It's really annoying that BBC 1 NI seem to shut down before all other regions on quite a few nights of the week, and simply relay BBC News. We actually miss out on quite a lot of late night programming, for what reason I don't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

Mr. Rabbit wrote: »
    Interestingly, BBC ONE HD will be the same as virtually having an extra BBC 1 region, as it's BBC 1 England and (thankfully) not BBC 1 NI. It's really annoying that BBC 1 NI seem to shut down before all other regions on quite a few nights of the week, and simply relay BBC News. We actually miss out on quite a lot of late night programming, for what reason I don't know.

Will BBC1 HD not be BBC1 London?

Are they not regionalising BBC ONE HD soon, but keeping BBC TWO HD (when BBC HD converts to it) as one region for the whole UK? That means BBC ONE HD will soon be BBC ONE NI HD and will close at the sane time as SD BBC ONE.

I agree though, I hate the fact that BBC NI closes early, as does UTV when programmes continue in other regions and late night repeats or even films that other people can get aren't broadcast here. That's why I like having my Freesat box with a Manchester postcode, I get ITV 1 HD in full resolution and an ITV 1+1 I can see view, get EPG listings and record from as well as access to ITV Player if ever needed. I can also have BBC ONE NI at 101 for any local stuff (rare) and watch BBC ONE HD the rest of the time for the better picture and different programmes. I don't think I'll be using the Freeview BBC ONE NI HD unless I really have to.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,540 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Just been looking at the BBC One London and BBC ONE Northern Ireland schedules for the last fortnight and can't find an example as to when NI closed down before London?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭dogtoffee

icdg wrote: »
    Just been looking at the BBC One London and BBC ONE Northern Ireland schedules for the last fortnight and can't find an example as to when NI closed down before London?
    Same here I cant see any difference in any of bbc 1 channels

dogtoffee wrote: »
    Same here I cant see any difference in any of bbc 1 channels

There was one evening early this week when BBC 1 NI was relaying BBC News from slightly after 12 midnight and all other regions were broadcasting a film up until 1.20a.m.

This happens frequently, especially when a local programme (e.g. Spotlight) is transmitted earlier in the evening.

When BBC 1 Scotland or BBC 1 Wales do this, they just extend their broadcasting hours.

BBC 1 NI doesn't, and simply shuts down early. I can assure both of you that this happens at least once (and on some occasions twice) a week.

If you have Sky or Freesat it's more obvious. Check the BBC1 regional variations especially Sunday through to Wednesday

BBC 1 NI viewers miss out on quite a lot of films that are broadcast nationally.

Also midweek Premiership football highlights on BBC1 NI are often later than in other regions due to BBC NI showing local programme after the news. This is one of the reasons why I think having satellite is so good.

Also midweek Premiership football highlights on BBC1 NI are often later than in other regions due to BBC NI showing local programme after the news. This is one of the reasons why I think having satellite is so good.

I think Tuesday night might be the worst at times as the "Sky at night" doesn't go out on a Sunday after midnight any more on BBC 1 NI, but after midnight on tuesday instead. This means that if a late film is shown on BBC 1 nationally, BBC 1 NI just forget about it and relay BBC News.

Hopefully, BBC 1 HD after DSO will be the version that's transmitted nationally and not BBC 1 NI HD.

Satellite certainly is a very handy way to avoide this, whether it's Sky or Freesat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

Region-shifting works both ways, albeit less important these days, in that it can give viewers a chance whom just missed the original broadcast to see it at a different time on a different regional output.

As for BBC1 HD, while at DSO on 24th October there might still be a single UK-wide BBC1 HD channel, it'll be the case in due course that the regions will start getting their own BBC1 HD channels rolled out to them, a case of when not if. Will depend on factors like budgets and technology e.g. when Astra 2E and 2F (and later 2G) get up and running to provide even more UK & Ireland focused beam transponders. It's most likely that the 'national regions' of NI, Scotland and Wales will get this done first followed later by the English regions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭lawhec

If it's any help I've updated my "Saorview in Northern Ireland" guide on TechTír to keep it relevant to what is currently taking place.
    If there's anything which is incorrect or would be worth adding, tip me off...

lawhec wrote: »
    If it's any help I've updated my "Saorview in Northern Ireland" guide on TechTír to keep it relevant to what is currently taking place.
    If there's anything which is incorrect or would be worth adding, tip me off...

Excellent summary which leaves no stone unturned re receiving Saorview here in the North. I'm picking it up via a Sony PVR with no breakup. Mind you I have a very good aerial set up - 52 Triax with masthead amp. As TG4 analogue from Clermont Carn is at present suffering interference it's good to get crystal clear Saorview on that channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

What on earth?
    http://www.ukfree.tv/maps.php?key=tblITVsubregions_ID&c=101

See also maps of: Saorview region, BBC Soarview (not BBC) and ITV Saorview (not ITV).
    From http://www.ukfree.tv/shutdowndetail.php?tx=SJ736852
    Which was the link called "Woodcock" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Richard

watty wrote: »
    What on earth?

See also maps of: Saorview region, BBC Soarview (not BBC) and ITV Saorview (not ITV).

He really should have got it set up correctly, rather than tacking the ROI transmitters on. It doesn't make much sense at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

What on earth?

Intresting to see the estimated Saorview coverage along the coast of Wales.

FRIENDO wrote: »
    Intresting to see the estimated Saorview coverage along the coast of Wales.

Along with parts of the Isle of Mann

Are there currently any reports of anyone receiving Saorview from either Kippure or Three Rock in West Wales ?

If Freeview transmitters in west Wales are receivable in the East and South East of the ROI, then surely it should be the same the other way around ?

Or maybe people in Wales aren't interested in Saorview ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭Ronnie Raygun

Only Preseli & Arfon are receivable here; Mt. Leinster has well documented issues with Wales & I'm sure Kippure got manners put on it long ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭FRIENDO

And yes the Isle Mann.

Possibly when Mt Lenister CH45 is sorted in October some intrested people in West Wales may try and get Saorview reception.

Along with parts of the Isle of Mann

Are there currently any reports of anyone receiving Saorview from either Kippure or Three Rock in West Wales ?

If Freeview transmitters in west Wales are receivable in the East and South East of the ROI, then surely it should be the same the other way around ?

Or maybe people in Wales aren't interested in Saorview ?

Mt Leinster was/is actually interfering with Welsh reception. That's why it's retuning in 24th Oct 2012 ASO.

Mt Leinster and Three Rock can be got in various parts of Welsh coast. Nothing new. Back in 405 line days Evesham even had RTE on a cable system.

Kippure is unlikely in Wales. Claremont Cairn and Three Rock much easier.

All countries have a degree of terrestrial overspill and always have. This is why TV channels are co-ordinated internationally. There was a bit of a Slip up with Mt Leinster which will be fixed at ASO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

The Cush wrote: »
    Above was the proposed (14/11/2011) company name to run the multiplex.

Now registered as Multiplex Broadcasting Services N.I. Ltd since 18/11/2011

Originally registered as Sarcon (No.350) Ltd on 23/12/2010 (Sarcon Compliance Limited), just a few days after the official announcement of the new multiplex by the UK Government last year.

MULTIPLEX BROADCASTING SERVICES N.I. LIMITED
    MURRAY HOUSE
    MURRAY STREET
    BELFAST
    BT1 6DN
    Company No. NI605600

This was posted by Elmo over in the Broadcasting forum earlier.

According to the TCA press release Ofcom has issued the joint venture with a a broadcast licence.
    Competition Authority clears joint venture between RTÉ and TG4
    24 February 2012

The Competition Authority has cleared the creation of a joint venture between Raidió Teilifís Éireann (RTÉ) and Teilifís na Gaeilge (TG4). The proposed joint venture will create Multiplex Broadcasting Services N.I. Limited. The deal must now be cleared by the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation. It was notified to the Authority under the Competition Act 2002 on 7 December 2011.

The Authority carried out an intensive investigation which involved research, obtaining the views of competitors and television advertising customers (including advertising agencies), extensive information from the parties themselves and consulting with the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland, the Commission for Communications Regulation and the UK Communications Regulator. None of these agencies opposed the deal.

As a result of the investigation, the Authority found that the creation of Multiplex Broadcasting Services N.I. Limited will not substantially lessen competition in the market for the sale of television advertising in the State.

During the investigation we focused on three possible problem areas where competition concerns might arise:

· the possible impact on competition between Multiplex Broadcasting Services N.I. Limited and one or both of its parent companies, RTÉ and TG4

· possible co-ordination between RTÉ and TG4 on the sale of television advertising airtime

· possible price increases for television advertising airtime, particularly by RTÉ, if the joint venture goes ahead, or any anti-competitive consequences of an increase in RTÉ’s position in the market

As with all media mergers, the deal can only go ahead if the Minister for Jobs, Enterprise and Innovation does not direct the Authority to carry out a full (phase 2) investigation within 10 days. We will publish a public version of the decision on our website (www.tca.ie) by 23 April 2012, after the parties have had the opportunity to request that confidential information be removed.

NOTES TO THE EDITOR

RTÉ is a public service broadcaster in the State operating mainly two commercial free-to-air national television channels, RTÉ One and RTÉ Two. RTÉ One and RTÉ Two cover sports, movies, news and general entertainment, predominantly in the English language.

TG4 is a public service broadcaster in the State. It operates one television channel, TG4. This channel covers sports, movies, news and general entertainment, mainly in the Irish language.

Following the Good Friday Agreement, TG4 began broadcasting from the Divis analogue terrestrial transmitter located in Northern Ireland. Due to the upcoming switch from analogue to digital terrestrial television in October 2012, the UK and Irish Governments decided to construct a new television multiplex in Northern Ireland from which Multiplex Broadcasting Services N.I. Limited will broadcast free-to-air channels RTÉ One, RTÉ Two and TG4 in Northern Ireland.

Multiplex Broadcasting Services N.I. Limited has been awarded a broadcast licence by Ofcom, the independent regulator of the communications industry in the UK.

- ENDS -

Contact Information

Clodagh Coffey, Communications Manager, The Competition Authority, Tel: 01 804 5406, Mobile: 087 915 5406, email: cc@tca.ie

http://www.tca.ie/EN/News--Publications/News-Releases/Competition-Authority-clears-joint-venture-between-RT-and-TG4-.aspx

BBC News report
    New venture brings RTE and TG4 to NI homes
    24 February 2012 Last updated at 17:17 GMT

The joint venture by RTE and TG4 would bring programmes from both to around 90% of NI homes
    The Irish Republic's competition authority has permitted the creation of a new digital television multiplex in Northern Ireland.

It will carry services from south of the border.

The joint venture by RTE (Raidio Teilifis Eireann) and Teilifis na Gaeilge (TG4) would bring programmes from both to around 90% of NI homes.

The authority consulted with broadcasting regulators in the UK and Ireland.

It found that the creation of Multiplex Broadcasting Services N.I. Limited would not substantially lessen competition in the market for the sale of television advertising.

Both the UK and Ireland are working towards the switch off of analogue signals at the end of 2012.

The new multiplex will broadcast in DVB-T2, the same parameters used by Freeview HD.

Unlike standard definition Freeview receivers, these devices can be used on both sides of the border.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-17154065

According to the original tender document the closing date for the receipt of tenders is next Mon 27th Feb with the successful tender being notified 2 weeks later on Mar 12th and contract awarded on Mar 29th.

Report on BBC Radio Ulster 's news programme this morning clearly stated that sporting events as well as other material would be blacked out on the mini-mux similar to blacking out on Sky Digital in NI. Interestingly it mentioned TV3 in this regard but this is not part of mini-mux. If i remember correxctly they didn't mention Saorsat when speaking of blackspots for receiving ROI channels.

Report on BBC Radio Ulster 's news programme this morning clearly stated that sporting events as well as other material would be blacked out on the mini-mux similar to blacking out on Sky Digital in NI. Interestingly it mentioned TV3 in this regard but this is not part of mini-mux. If i remember correxctly they didn't mention Saorsat when speaking of blackspots for receiving ROI channels.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01cl4yq/Good_Morning_Ulster_28_02_2012/ - 58:10 mins in

Pretty mad when all or almost all of N.I. will get Saorsat and about 60% will receive real Saorview. The Minimux is sounding more like a pointless political gesture that wastes UK Government and RTE money.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭reslfj

The Cush wrote: »

Pretty mad when all or almost all of N.I. will get Saorsat and about 60% will receive real Saorview.

Who was the speaker on "Good Morning Ulster" ?

To me it sounded mostly like his personal opinion - and little else.

I would say that it's at most an Irish law saying that "you cannot legaly limit copyrights to the ROI without including NI".

Copyright holders may bark, but they do accept overspill in many other countries - without any charges. E.g. 1.5 million i Copenhagen is covered by FTA DTT from Sweden (fewer have aerials, though) and the Danish FTA DDT channels can be recieved by almost 1 million in Skåne/Sweden.

The MiniMux may cover 500.000 or likely much less - it's next to nothing in Copyright terms.

Lars :)

reslfj wrote: »
    Who was the speaker on "Good Morning Ulster" ?

Stephen Price, media correspondent with The Sunday Times, follow up to last weeks Competition Authority approval for the RTÉ/TG4 joint venture.

An interview with no information other than his own speculation, he says "what we might not get ...." and includes TV3 etc.

He also says there is plenty of information on boxes to receive the service but as we know here there is little to no information available on the RTÉ/TG4 mini-mux.

(1) He said "may", not "would" be blacked out during the interview, so the situation is unclear.

(2) He talked about certain sporting events being blocked for NI viewers on Sky. However, very little (if any) is blocked on the Sky service these days. For example, the premiership and all European matches are now available to NI viewers.

(3) As you quite correctly pointed out, he failed to even mention Saorsat as a means to receive RTE, post DSO, for those who can't access either Saorview or the NIMM.

He appeared to be simply talking off the top of his head.

That's exactly what it sounded like to me.

I don't care, I can get the Saorview full service from Clermont so that'll do me!

• Advertisement

Paddy C wrote: »
    I don't care, I can get the Saorview full service from Clermont so that'll do me!

Indeed Paddy, Hopefully I'll get it too after 24th October 2012.

Advertisement