Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LED lighting General discussion, read here before posting a question.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

freddyuk wrote: »
    If you want bedside lamps then 2 or 3 watt are more suitable unless you want reading light where a small directional LED lamp is a great option and will not upset your sleeping partner as will a fully bright incandescent lamp.

3 watt in my bedside table lamps.

Lovely light quality from them

Greenlamp make a 3watt and also a 2watt "E14" LED bulb.

Heres a picture of the 3 watt (in B22 fitment).I have these in all my bedrooms and also on my landing,and Im very happy with them.

Also heres the 2 watt version and specs.

Hope this helps out the person who is looking for an E14 LED bulb.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭ledbulb

Paddy147 i've test few of them, never find something with nice warm light like 2700K, in my house i have E14 led bulbs but i am not really happy, they just ok but nothing special to reccomend, manufacturers and importers are very often not honest if we talk about lumens i have E14 led bulbs with 380lm efficiency according to the description on the packet. What about that? Leds are best solution if we talk about downlights GU10, MR16,strip lights, floodlights and industrial lamps, but in my opinion we have to wait another few months when something appear what can beat CFL replacement for fittings E14,E27 or bayonet. We can use LED's if we like them but don't expect spectacular effect. If you are happy with yours thats fine.All depend of expectation and place where you gonna use them.
    20120826165355.jpg.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

ledbulb wrote: »
    They are differente ways to test led bulbs you dont need to use old technology to be sure that the product will last for long .
    it is not the testing procedure that i have an issue with, it's is the dodgy claims made by some ebay lamp sellers.

Stoner wrote: »
    it is not the testing procedure that i have an issue with, it's is the dodgy claims made by some ebay lamp sellers.
    Yes, some product are really bad quality, so is understandable that people stick to well known brands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭freddyuk

Any decent supplier will provide a copy of the test report. Much like Solar panels. Get the proper information and then make a choice. If your supplier cannot provide the test reports then they have no idea what they are selling. If you truly understand LED's then you should be able to offer good advice based on facts and the laboratory results are where the facts come from.
    What's on the packet is quite irrelevant in many cases.
    Here is am example of a proper test report and the reason why so many people have not a clue about LED's.
    Jingriepanel.jpg
    And then there is the issue of what is the best way to use the lamp to get best effect. What is the best fitting and what is the best colour. Until you have tried them you won't know.

If you want LED chandelier bulbs will you want those candle bulbs with a lump of plastic round the bottom? Of course not. The proper bulbs are available and they have not shown any failures since I have been testing. LED's have bad press because there are too many people buying cheap factory seconds and getting ripped off. Ask the right questions and don't expect something for nothing. If a bulb fails it should be replaced without question as failures do happen and these are bought for the long term so should last the designed years.
    4W is about the limit for candle bulbs without a big ugly heatsink. Manufacturers have done the research and this is were we are in a fast moving industry. I have candle bulbs on test in a shop that sells chandeliers and they have never lost one and they are on all day and night. (very little electric cost of course!).
    I am not guessing.

There are several other parameters that should be taken into consideration when choosing a light source, write about them later.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

I have to say on recommendation of a few on here, i tried the philips master 4w dimmable 40 degree gu10 bulbs.

I got only a few to try... 1 in our small shower en-suite and 3 over my sink area in the kitchen.

after 1 month of testing here are my opinions...

Pros

Nice warm 2700k light off them. Very very close to normal gu10.

Hardly any cost to them - 3 x 4w = 12 watts now over my kitchen sink, verus the 3 x 35w = 115 watts previously!

Cons

The bulbs have a narrow 40 degree light angle on them - i dont know what a standard gu10 angle of light is? - Does anyone here? - but i find them too narrow on the light they throw out compared to a normal gu10.

The bulb face can still get quite hot - but saying that nowhere near as hot as a gu10.

They are ok in my opinion, but i dont think i would go to the extra cost of putting in extra gu10 fitting in between the others in the kitchen to put these in. They are aobut the same output as a 35watt standard gu10, but just with a smaller angle of light.

Just on a side note, my local supplier here has them for €21 + vat! :eek:

- i went to the supplier mentioned earlier in the thread and got them for 8.50 + vat approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

Anyone know of suppliers in the Tipp/Kilkenny/Limerick/Clare region that supply the Philips 4W LED GU10 bulbs?

The cost of a trip to Dublin to buy these would have an adverse affect on the expected pay back and I have no such journeys (business or pleasure) on the horizon......

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DPM1

Thanks for the info on the E14's but i will prob end up switching to the GU10's in time.

jprboy, have you considered the postal service?

I got mine delivered to the door for €12 which incidentally worked out @ €12 per bulb including vat delivered.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

DPM1 wrote: »
    jprboy, have you considered the postal service?

I got mine delivered to the door for €12 which incidentally worked out @ €12 per bulb including vat delivered.

Thanks, DPM1.

What I was hoping to do was try out a few first to ensure that everyone in the house was happy with the light quality before buying.

S'pose I could get a few delivered and then order the remainder if happy.

How many did you get delivered?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DPM1

I got 10 but so far i have used only 6, the other 4 will go in the hall once i get time to replace the existing fittings.

I find no difference to the 50w halogen bulbs in pure darkness but in simi lit conditions the halogen seemed to be brighter but im happy so far with 24w v's 300w in my kitchen / dining area at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 johnik

Hello. Have 13 downlighters GU10 in our kitchen / living room. Which is the best LED to go with please? Must be good light to read with. Also in the Kitchen which LED would suit for counter top lighting?

I can't recomend this bulbs in this place :)

• Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭danger_mouse_tm

Has anyone tried the new model of the philips master MV GU10 4w dimmable? I see there is someone on adverts selling 10 for €130.
    I wonder has anyone tried or priced the 5.5 watt non dimmable. Would these suit better in a students room?
    I currently have ten of the older model master gu10 4W in my kitchen and I think they are great but without the under counter lighting and the cooker hood lights it would be a little bit too dark.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

I currently have ten of the older model master gu10 4W in my kitchen and I think they are great but without the under counter lighting and the cooker hood lights it would be a little bit too dark.

I agree, I have not tested the 5.5Watt lamp, but I do welcome it. the 4Watts are not suitable IMHO for reading. Even sitting directly under them, casual reading at a push or if you have installed extra fittings but not a like for like exchange, in fact the last time i used them in my place I used 50% more than I would compared to standard halogen fitting. They are still a huge saver on running costs but not suitable for a students room, they would need to be supplemented with a study lamp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

Has anyone tried the new model of the philips master MV GU10 4w dimmable? I see there is someone on adverts selling 10 for €130.
    I wonder has anyone tried or priced the 5.5 watt non dimmable. Would these suit better in a students room?

Have the 5.5W in our bathrooms - visibly brighter than the 4W that we have in the rest of the house (like you, we find we need the extra undercounter lighting in the kitchen with the 4W). Depending on how/where you are mounting these in a "student room" the 4W may be fine. Bear in mind they are available in 25 or 40 degree beam. You can also get adapters from B22 or E27 to GU10 if you wanted to fit them in an existing desklamp. Philips also had a 3W non-dimmable, similar or higher lumen output, not sure if they still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

Hi,

I have 5 downlighters in the living room which have E27 60w spotlights in them. The lights are on a dimmer.

I would like to replace these with LEDs and was wondering if anyone knows if these are available and if they can be dimmable? Would they protrude out from the ceiling or be flush like the existing ones. The lights are not used much, and used on dim if they are, so quality of lighting is not a big issue.

Also, where is best to obtain these lights, if available?

I've tested many of E27 , and I'll recommend this bulb . But they don't have dimmable version yet. Light quality is impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭batman1

I'm assuming that will fit into the existing housing of my spotlight e27?

• Advertisement

Check dimension of your fitting and bulb , all details of LED you can find in technical drawings below bulb picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭garbanzo

Scartbeg wrote: »
    Have the 5.5W in our bathrooms - visibly brighter than the 4W that we have in the rest of the house (like you, we find we need the extra undercounter lighting in the kitchen with the 4W). Depending on how/where you are mounting these in a "student room" the 4W may be fine. Bear in mind they are available in 25 or 40 degree beam. You can also get adapters from B22 or E27 to GU10 if you wanted to fit them in an existing desklamp. Philips also had a 3W non-dimmable, similar or higher lumen output, not sure if they still do it.

Hey Scartbeg. Just piggybacking on danger_mouse's query. I discovered this thread a few months back and have been incrementally changing from 50 watt GU10's to the Philips 4w bulbs each month when I get paid. I think the 4w Philips are perfect for bathrooms and the landing but our kitchen is big and takes 12 GU10 lightbulbs. I have already replaced 4 of those GU10's with 4 watt Philips but as said earlier I don't think it is as bright as I would want it. I know they don't claim to be a straight replacement for the 50w.

I have to replace the other 8 now so, my question is are the 5.5 watts a straight replacement for a 50watt and if so a) where did you get them and b) how much were they?

Cheers for all the advice, looking forward to smaller ESB bills this winter.

I've just tested 5W NIVISS LED 2700K light colour, no questions they are the best 5W bulb i've ever seen! (3xCREE MX6 LED inside) 280lm. Thats better than PHILIPS (if i remember they are 270lm)
    Just waiting for 6W GU10 from them.

Mod Edit
    It should be noted that ledlamp is in the business of selling LED lamps, in fact the Philips lamp mentioned above is most probably one of his largest competitors.
    It is not clear if the "5W NIVISS LED" that performed so well in this test is sold by ledlamp or not.
    Armed with this information readers can make up their own minds on the impartiality of the test described above.

boardst.jpg

@ Ledbulb..the Philips Master 4 watt Gu10 40 degree LED uses 1 single Cree.

You seem to be on a mission to put down the Philips Master LEDs for some reason.

I asked you 3 simple questions on another form and your replies were replies of avoidence and inability to answer me properly.

See thread here (started by Ledbulb himself),for anyone interested.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056671920

Maybe you might bother to answer my 3 simple questions,for a change.

paddy147 thats not a secret i'm selling them , i like to give my opinion about the products and lamps thats all, if you dont like my opinion thats fine i don't have to like your bulbs thats all , this is old model thats fact, is some pepole like black and white tv thats fine but what i like to say is that technology is going further, nothing else nothing personal.
    paddy147 wrote: »
    @ Ledbulb..the Philips Master 4 watt Gu10 40 degree LED uses 1 single Cree.

You seem to be on a mission to put down the Philips Master LEDs for some reason.

I asked you 3 simple questions on another form and your replies were replies of avoidence and inability to answer me properly.

See thread here (started by Ledbulb himself),for anyone interested.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056671920

Maybe you might bother to answer my 3 simple questions,for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Scartbeg

garbanzo wrote: »

I have to replace the other 8 now so, my question is are the 5.5 watts a straight replacement for a 50watt and if so a) where did you get them and b) how much were they?

Cheers for all the advice, looking forward to smaller ESB bills this winter.

Don't have the tech spec to hand right now, but the Lumen output of the 5.5W is certainly comparable to a 50W halogen (no that they should necessarily be the benchmark to aspire to). Got mine from Eurosales , about €16 ea. 6 months ago.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 1,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭karltimber

I had replaced most of my 50w with philips 4w's last year and decided to finish them off.
    so got more - now all sorted.

but was in Ikea later that day and picked up a led GU10 - for 7euro - here
    Now it's only a 3.4w 170lm single led - but at euro7 - it may suit somebody for a landing, hallway or utility room etc. Bought one to test out.
    hadn't seen them before.

Looks good. Only 1 fitted into a 3 gu10 holder so not a great test.

K

• Registered Users Posts: 13,706 ✭✭✭✭josip

I wasn't sure whether to hijack/reuse this thread or start a new one. I have a similar dilemma with our downlight setup.

CURRENT SETUP
    We have 3 lighting circuits for the living/kitchen area downstairs. 3 downlights for kitchen, 6 for dining, 6 for living. 36deg MR16, 50W low voltage. All on dimmers. 2 years ago we didn't have a clear picture of LED technology and there were a lot of differing claims about what would/wouldn't work so we played safe and went with 12V halogens. Since we installed, 1 downlight and 2 transformers have blown and I'm now looking around for a replacement. I always planned/hoped to replace with LEDs as and when the halogens failed. To make matters slightly more complicated, access to the ceiling cavity is only through the downlight holes; the floor above has been covered with semi-solid. So we can't put in a new circuit. Because of the way the rafters run, we could run new cable between pairs of downlights if there was some solution that required it.

WHAT WE WANT
    We want the equivalent lumen output with the lowest reasonable operational cost (Opex) and don't overly mind the upfront cost (Capex) of changing bulbs/fittings. We need the solution to be smoothly dimmable and I would prefer if I could replace fittings incrementally myself without needing to get a sparks involved. Or at least upgrade only 1 circuit at a time.

OPTIONS/QUESTIONS
    The Philips Master LEDs are the most obvious replacement according to Herr Google. I would appear to be able to change bulbs incrementally as they fail. Apart from the high cost £30?:eek: my concerns are that Philips say the 10W is a replacement for 50W Halogens. My understanding is that a 50W halogen has 800-950 lm whereas the Philips only gives out 490lm. Am I missing something? Also, if they need a transformer per downlight and 2 of these have gone so far, I see this as adding to my annual Opex. Finally, don't the transformers themselves consume 10-15W; more than doubling the LED downlight consumption? There was a Philips Master LED pioneer on here a couple of years ago, not sure how he got on though.

On the subject of lumens, the 60 SMDs got good reviews earlier in the thread about being brighter than halogens. But the 3W version only gives 330lm compared to 800-950lm for a 12V halogen. "All lumens are equal but some lumens are more equal than others?

I'm wondering if a better solution would be to remove the transformers and put a LED driver(s) in the circuit. It seems there are a greater range of downlights available to me for this configuration. Some of these claim higher lumens than the Master Downlights due to more CREE led bulbs. If I go that route what are my options?

Can I remove transformers but keep the existing GU5.3 fittings? Or do I have to get new GU10 fittings to use mains directly? Can I keep the existing dimmer switch and wire in 1 LED driver between it and the first downlight in the circuit? Or do I need a LED driver for each downlight? AND would I have to replace the dimmer with a LED dimmer switch?

Can I have mains GU10 LEDs and 12V GU5.3 Halogens with their own transformers on the same circuit without damaging the LEDs? If we go with this config would each LED downlight need their own driver in order to be dimmable? Or no driver and forget about dimming until all halogens replaced and then put in 1 driver for the whole circuit?

I'd prefer not to have to concern myself with leading edge/trailing edge compatibility issues.

So many questions...

Hi, ill try to answer some of your questions: If you like to stay with low voltage mr16 you need only one led transformer for circut, or if you dont have acces to the wires use one small transformer for each fitting, you can also use one transformer for all three circuts but in your situation i think is immpossible because no acces to the cables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Anyone try out the Tesco own brand LED bulbs. GU10, I think they were about 7 euro.

I was looking for a link on the web but I could not find one.

Advertisement