Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,624 ✭✭✭Little CuChulainn

FREETV wrote: »
    Those Halloween masks may come in handy on November 1 for the anti-water charge protests marches so don't bin them. ;):D

Why would people need to hide their identities?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 306 ✭✭SweetChaos

Why would people need to hide their identities?

So they can partake in criminal activity and be anonymous I would presume

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Iwasfrozen wrote: »
    No thanks. I have a job.

I can't stand the inference that all protesters are unemployed, it's far from the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

I can't stand the inference that all protesters are unemployed, it's far from the truth.

Not all but it's fair to say a higher proportion than would be statistically expected are unemployed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

SweetChaos wrote: »
    So they can partake in criminal activity and be anonymous I would presume

Since when is a peaceful protest a criminal activity?

• Advertisement

It's not. So why would people who aren't breaking the law need to obscure their identity?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

For someone getting worked up about the water charge, you are either very ignorant of its details and so shouldn't be commenting, or, deliberately lying in order to mislead others. Which ?

Deliberately lying, as I already said about 5 mins after posting it. :confused:
    Sorry, I meant reduce my pressure so as I won't be availing of their services. . (I've been preaching on about it long enough, I thought it'd be obvious) :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭hju6

Not all but it's fair to say a higher proportion than would be statistically expected are unemployed.

And what statistics are you using to draw that conclusion?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

When you're I'm breach of a high court order

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    When you're I'm breach of a high court order

The high Court injunction that covers GMC Sierra?

Will GMC Sierra be installing meters djring the protests on Sat, Nov 1st?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭Streetwalker

It's a convenient stereotyping for the establishment really nothing more. I attended two early morning protests this week before I started my shift and I know from talking to others at the protest that most had to squeeze the time for the protesting in between jobs and family commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

It's a convenient stereotyping for the establishment really nothing more. I attended two early morning protests this week before I started my shift and I know from talking to others at the protest that most had to squeeze the time for the protesting in between jobs and family commitments.

Same as myself, I work evenings and have been to protests before work.
    It's an easy way to look down their noses and dismiss the protests, "look at them, nothing better to do with themselves, bunch of layabouts".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

hju6 wrote: »
    And what statistics are you using to draw that conclusion?
    Purely anecdotal I would imagine, same as myself. Going on my newsfeed and social interaction, the most active (only) cohort agitating on this are those who are economically inactive.
    I don't know any employed person who is protesting. Maybe I'm wierd though, with an oddly stratified social network.

MouseTail wrote: »
    Purely anecdotal I would imagine, same as myself. Going on my newsfeed and social interaction, the most active (only) cohort agitating on this are those who are economically inactive.
    I don't know any employed person who is protesting. Maybe I'm wierd though, with an oddly stratified social network.

I think it's reasonable to assume at least some, if not most of the 100,000 people protesting This day last week in Dublin city centre were "economically active" tbh.

I think it's reasonable to assume at least some, if not most of the 100,000 people protesting This day last week in Dublin city centre were "economically active" tbh.
    I still doubt that 100k number. I've yet to see any proof of it.

I still doubt that 100k number. I've yet to see any proof of it.

Still doubt it myself.

I'd say (having been there) the numbers were more likely to be 150-200k.

What proof would satisfy you though, seeing as the Garda press office refuse to estimate.

Quite telling though that Miriam (and other RTE presenters) have been using that figure in various interviews.

Still doubt it myself.

I'd say (having been there) the numbers were more likely to be 150-200k.

What proof would satisfy you though, seeing as the Garda press office refuse to estimate.

Quite telling though that Miriam (and other RTE presenters) have been using that figure in various interviews.
    I'd like a number from an official body, it would be nice if the gardai gave an estimate since theirs would have the most credibility but in the absence of anything to back up your claim you should refrain from saying there were 100k people there.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

Not official, but a good estimate

From the Irish Times website [11th October] - The marchers took one hour and twenty minutes to pass the Spire in O’Connell Street as they made their way from Parnell Square, around the city finishing at the GPO in O’Connell Street.
    While the Garda press office could not give a figure for the numbers in attendance, one garda observing the march estimated they could be as high as 100,000.

Nodster wrote: »
    Not official, but a good estimate

From the Irish Times website [11th October] - The marchers took one hour and twenty minutes to pass the Spire in O’Connell Street as they made their way from Parnell Square, around the city finishing at the GPO in O’Connell Street.
    While the Garda press office could not give a figure for the numbers in attendance, one garda observing the march estimated they could be as high as 100,000.
    So one man, on the ground, made an uneducated guess at 100k and we're getting this information through a third party source.

That's the antithesis of a good estimate, I can't elaborate how unreliable that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

Th e following videos say it all about who the Gardai really represent when it comes to the water charge protests.
    In Slovakia they brought in a rain water harvesting tax next I believe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwFSQ0UVexs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CyDRgApojcQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXKik4S_zyo

People with the guts to remove the water meters on their own properties where they have paid for frontage outside their houses.
    Nobody gave GMC Sierra or Irish Water permission to install these meters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6y6SqM7l-w

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Who really gives a f*ck if the protestors are employed or not? I don't get this argument. Surely it would be better to focus our energies on standing united regardless of employment status?

You do realise that this is exactly what these cronies want, don't you? Us fighting amongst each other. All the while, the fat cats live it up at our expense.

Oh and the last big protest was on a Saturday. Which means a lot of people with average full time jobs would have been able to attend the protest.

For f*ck sake - wake up!

Wurly wrote: »
    Who really gives a f*ck if the protestors are employed or not? I don't get this argument. Surely it would be better to focus our energies on standing united regardless of employment status?

You do realise that this is exactly what these cronies want, don't you? Us fighting amongst each other. All the while, the fat cats live it up at our expense.

Oh and the last big protest was on a Saturday. Which means a lot of people with average full time jobs would have been able to attend the protest.

For f*ck sake - wake up!

You are absolutely one hundred percent correct and the mains water here in Ireland isn't safe to drink and contains accumulative poisons and it is easy to find the scientific proof and evidence online if one even bothers to take a look and do the research as people's healths are being effected.

For f*ck sake - wake up!
    Because if they were occupied actually contributing to the country, and by extension human society, they may have less time to pre-occupy themselves with wasteful and potentially harmful protests. It's obvious that the opinion of a person who contributes is to be taken more seriously than a person who doesn't.

I don't have much sympathy for the protesters, I'm happy to pay for water, it's more efficient to charge people for a commodity as they use it than to charge for it indirectly through taxation. Since I'm happy to pay for water I don't have much sympathy for people who seem to want it for free.

Because if they were occupied actually contributing to the country, and by extension human society, they may have less time to pre-occupy themselves with wasteful and potentially harmful protests. It's obvious that the opinion of a person who contributes is to be taken more seriously than a person who doesn't.

I don't have much sympathy for the protesters, I'm happy to pay for water, it's more efficient to charge people for a commodity as they use it than to charge for it indirectly through taxation. Since I'm happy to pay for water I don't have much sympathy for people who seem to want it for free.

So you are happy to pay for water unfit for human consumption laced with harmful accumulative chemicals?

Most people are ignorant of the evidence in this Country.

FREETV wrote: »
    So you are happy to pay for water unfit for human consumption laced with harmful accumulative chemicals?

Most people are ignorant of the evidence in this Country.
    All the chemicals in the world baby.

The fact that no one takes conspiracy theories seriously makes my chemicals taste even sweeter. ;)

All the chemicals in the world baby.

The fact that no one takes conspiracy theories seriously makes my chemicals taste even sweeter. ;)
    Except it isn't a theory but a proven fact backed by many Toxicology Pathologists and Scientists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

Right, so taking back our power from the elite is not contributing to human society, is it not?

What's harmful about these protests? Should we just shut up and take every single tax thrown at us? Please do not fool yourself thinking that this money is going towards the quality of our water. It is AGAIN going into the pockets of the rich. How can you not see this? Have you done your research on the conditions of the bailout and how the IMF (owned by the Rothschilds) have bullied our government into bringing these charges in?

What good is turning on each other going to do? Everyone that protests are not just defending their rights, they are defending YOUR rights also.

You are already paying for your water. Why do you want to pay twice?

Again it is not about being charged for water per se, it is about the manner in which they are doing it. A PRIVATE company digging up the outside of your house without your consent. Making you enter a contract that you never asked for. It's utterly ridiculous. It's wrong.

I don't think the protestors asked for your sympathy by the way. We have a human right to speak up for ourselves. Why should that ever incur 'sympathy' from anyone?

You want to pay for water twice? Good for you. Personally, I am not lining the pockets of some overpaid, greedy arsehole. Because that is where your money is really going.

The reason why the Government won't take the toxic chemicals out of the water is because they don't want to admit that they are harmful.
    They want to avoid endless lawsuits against them.
    They appoint Doctors who will lie for them in the Media which is under state control, a propaganda machine.

It is a double barelled measure of also charging you for this water in January against your will while the majority of the public are sleepwalking and are ignorant of the truth and facts of the matter.

They will outlaw rainwater harvesting next.

Right, so taking back our power from the elite is not contributing to human society, is it not?
    Not really no.
    What's harmful about these protests? Should we just shut up and take every single tax thrown at us? Please do not fool yourself thinking that this money is going towards the quality of our water. It is AGAIN going into the pockets of the rich. How can you not see this? Have you done your research on the conditions of the bailout and how the IMF (owned by the Rothschilds) have bullied our government into bringing these charges in?
    IMF "owned" by a rich Jewish family? Please don't bring conspiracy theories into After Hours, keep them where they belong.

Most European countries have water charges, Ireland has been an anomaly in that regard for decades and our water infrastructure has suffered as a result. Indirect taxation does not provide sufficient funds to maintain our infrastructure nevermind upgrade it and the haphazard unco-ordinated management by local authorities has done more harm than good. Our infrastructure needs more funds and to be placed under a single authority. I don't agree with everything IW does but water charges and a single body to collect them are a necessity.
    What good is turning on each other going to do? Everyone that protests are not just defending their rights, they are defending YOUR rights also.
    They are defending made up rights. You do not have the right to treated water piped directly to your plumbed house.
    You are already paying for your water. Why do you want to pay twice?
    No, I'm paying general taxation. Previously an insufficient amount of money was taken from that pool of money and our infrastructure suffered as a result. Now that money that was previously siphoned off can go towards closing our deficit.
    Again it is not about being charged for water per se, it is about the manner in which they are doing it. A PRIVATE company digging up the outside of your house without your consent. Making you enter a contract that you never asked for. It's utterly ridiculous. It's wrong.
    Irish water is not a private company. It is a subsidiary of Bord Gáis.
    I don't think the protestors asked for your sympathy by the way. We have a human right to speak up for ourselves. Why should that ever incur 'sympathy' from anyone?
    Whether the protesters asked for my sympathy is irrelevant to the fact they don't have it...

• Advertisement

Not really no.

IMF "owned" by a rich Jewish family? Please don't bring conspiracy theories into After Hours, keep them where they belong.

Most European countries have water charges, Ireland has been an anomaly in that regard for decades and our water infrastructure has suffered as a result. Indirect taxation does not provide sufficient funds to maintain our infrastructure nevermind upgrade it and the haphazard unco-ordinated management by local authorities has done more harm than good. Our infrastructure needs more funds and to be placed under a single authority. I don't agree with everything IW does but water charges and a single body to collect them are a necessity.

They are defending made up rights. You do not have the right to treated water.

No, I'm paying general taxation. Previously an insufficient amount of money was taken from that pool of money and our infrastructure suffered as a result. Now that money that was previously siphoned off can go towards closing our deficit.

Irish water is not a private company. It is a subsidiary of Bord Gáis.

Whether the protesters asked for my sympathy is irrelevant to the fact they don't have it...

I'm off to bed now .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement