Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

***ALL THINGS IRISH WATER/WATER CHARGE RELATED POST HERE***

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭FREETV

A TD lastnight in the Dail called the Irish Water Boss a gobs***e.
    I wonder why? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

why didn't said TD call them a gobs**** sooner than this.
    horse, bolting, and stable door spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Nice case of bait & switch from the govt. There could be a case of Revenue getting details from IW "customers" if they apply for a rebate next year.If you pay your bill & are entitled to a rebate then you need to go through Revenue to claim it.Boom,you have put yourself in their sights.A scenario ala the LPT could come into play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

zerks wrote: »
    Nice case of bait & switch from the govt. There could be a case of Revenue getting details from IW "customers" if they apply for a rebate next year.If you pay your bill & are entitled to a rebate then you need to go through Revenue to claim it.Boom,you have put yourself in their sights.A scenario ala the LPT could come into play.

Exactly.

The Govt are on the backfoot now. They're scrambling and completel at a loss as to how this will pan out.

Every one on the streets come Nov 1st.

I will be there on November 1 and I will recruit more to join.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭polydactyl

Logged onto site to go through form as as much as I hate the idea I will pay them. But when I logged on my address was wrong, I live in an apt and they had me down as a house up the road, even though the address on the form was correct it was wrong on their site. It says underneath the address to ring them if they have it wrong....did that and the answer I got was "oh the address does not matter".......

Explained that obv it did as I would be on standard charges and was not going to be paying for a house with a meter....."oh you might be right.....on hold.....yes we have escalated that query......sure dont bother filling in the form just yet.... any other issues".....

I give up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,028 ✭✭✭gladrags

Plates wrote: »
    Indeed. So your hypothesis is that getting rid of the water charges will resolve the issues these groups have or that Paul Murphy and Joe Higgins have the policies that will solve them?

Nothing to do with hypothesis.

All groups/parties have issues with the charges,including FG/L.

Removing the charge will simply make life easier,for all sectors of society.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,854 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

gladrags wrote: »
    <snip>

Removing the charge will simply make life easier,for all sectors of society.
    well, then youre back to the situation that one portion of ireland gets their water provided by the state for free out of general taxation and another (those off the grid with private wells or on a group scheme) have to dip into their pocket to pay for water as they have always had to do

obviously youre suggesting that the government are equitable and find 100s of millions to pay for folks' water outside of cities and towns for the very first time (on top of the 500 per year million to abolish Irish water)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

well, then youre back to the situation that one portion of ireland gets their water provided by the state for free out of general taxation and another (those off the grid with private wells or on a group scheme) have to dip into their pocket to pay for water as they have always had to do

obviously youre suggesting that the government are equitable and find 100s of millions to pay for folks' water outside of cities and towns for the very first time (on top of the 500 per year million to abolish Irish water)

I haven't seen 100,000 people with private wells protesting against paying twice so they must be alright with it. Unless you want to speak for them?

One hundred thousand plus have marched and Ireland says NO to Enda Kenny and his cohorts.

They are the lowest of the low and are trying to use spin to win back votes from the gullible sectors of society.

http://www.independent.ie/business/b...-30665476.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Satriale

zerks wrote: »

A very cynical attempt by FG to connect Revenue with the water tax in the minds of the public.
    Maybe they should privatise Revenue altogether, then the two companies could probably legally liase in collecting the charge?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

On the claim to revenue, is it 100 per household or 100 per person. I live in an shared house with a few others, so I would think we should all get the 100 each. Or is it just the person whose name is on the bill itself?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Cllr Mick Roche in Wexford took part in last weeks march & won't be paying.

Nobody should pay and make the whole system collapse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

FREETV wrote: »

If nobody paid their tax, who would the parasites in our society be able to scrounge off?

Careful what ye wish for.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

If the whole system collapses then where are you going get your water?

The idea behind IW is fine, the exectuion is bordering on Fawlty Towers levels.

The limits are too low, no throught has been put into dealing with the issues (landlords/mulpile dwellings/multiple houses on a single meter/poorly installed meters).

No issue with ring fencing money to be directed towards repairing and upgrading the system. It seems as if everything has been done backwards. Start charging the customer, then look at how we charge the customer, then maybe look at dealing with the infrastructure.

IW should have laid out a clear plan of exactly what they are going to do and when. Instead we get a company clearly reacting to things as they happen. This has meant a loss of any credibility they may have hoped to get (always a though sell but it was possible).
    The CEO needs to be fired, a monumental disaster. Hogan should be called back to a committe to explain how this all went so wrong. Noonan needs to explain how the people on lower incomes/dole can benefit from the tax refund. Noonan needs to explain why the allowances weren't all given by way of tax refund so that nobody needed to give PPS numbers to IW.
    What policy on water conservation are IW going to push? It their remit to maximise their income or reduce the costs of water?
    None of it makes any sense.
    It seems that this government was very good at following orders, doing the heavy lifting that was required by the IMF/ECB boys.
    Once left to their own devices it seems they are completely incapable of managing anything. Keeny is quickly becoming one of the worst Taoiseach we have had

• Closed Accounts Posts: 826 ✭✭✭geeksauce

If nobody paid their tax, who would the parasites in our society be able to scrounge off?

Careful what ye wish for.

Don't think it would bother Free too much, he/she wants to do away with money anyway. :pac::pac::pac:

Money and the lack of it are the reasons why people are dying of starvation everyday worldwide or homeless and living in despair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

geeksauce wrote: »
    Don't think it would bother Free too much, he/she wants to do away with money anyway. :pac::pac::pac:

He's a gas man - I blame the fluoride.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Irish Independent Report

Irish Times Report

According to the Irish Times report , which seems to have a good bit more info than the Indo version, the person posting the video is described below..
    While the video was purportedly posted by Anonymous its origin is unclear. It was posted from a YouTube account in the name of ‘Guy Fawkes’ that has posted numerous videos relating to the anti-water charge campaign in recent months. The YouTube account is linked back to a Twitter account with the handle ‘@fingalols’; which has also tweeted extensively about the anti-water charges campaign.

This is either the least talented member of the Anonymous group (not very good at remaining anonymous) or someone that has just called down the wrath of a fairly heavy-duty bunch of hackers on to themselves by claiming to be part of the group..

Personally - I'm leaning heavily to the latter... Thoughts?

• Advertisement

He's a gas man - I blame the fluoride.
    I haven't drunk tap water for over a decade. :pac::pac::pac:

I already pay for bottled water and the VAT so f**k off Irish Government.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,415 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I charge for my thoughts.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Really don't understand the opposition to the water tax - every other OECD country has a water tax... The amount of people in this country who wants stuff for nothing is ridiculous. If you live out the country you have to sink a well, pay for the pipes, pay the electricty to run the pumps, sink a septic tank, clean out the tank etc. yet people don't want to pay in towns and cities.

There is now a massive divide between people who work hard, pay taxes and keep their head down to support their family and those who want everything for nothing at the expense of the rest.

I hear the stupid argument that "oh it rains a lot in Ireland and we still have to pay for it" ... Do people not realise how much work goes into capturing water, storing water and distributing water to homes ... Then there is wastewater - pipes, wastewater treatment plants, sludge disposal, effluent testing etc.

People would really want to fcuk off and stop wanting everything for nothing - how are all these protesters getting the time to abuse IW workers and Gardai during the day?? Most of us don't have the time unless we go during our 30min break.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭rameire

I haven't drunk tap water for over a decade. :pac::pac::pac:

I already pay for bottled water and the VAT so f**k off Irish Government.

there is flouride in bottled water.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,161 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

kneemos wrote: »
    I charge for my thoughts.

Per use or is there a free allowance available up front??

• Registered Users Posts: 8,934 ✭✭✭20Cent

Isn't that what anonymous is anyone can make one of those videos put out an issue? No leadership or anything central just people proposing ops and hoping others will join in.

irishfeen wrote: »
    Really don't understand the opposition to the water tax - every other OECD country has a water tax... The amount of people in this country who wants stuff for nothing is ridiculous. If you live out the country you have to sink a well, pay for the pipes, pay the electricty to run the pumps, sink a septic tank, clean out the tank etc. yet people don't want to pay in towns and cities.

There is now a massive divide between people who work hard, pay taxes and keep their head down to support their family and those who want everything for nothing at the expense of the rest.

I hear the stupid argument that "oh it rains a lot in Ireland and we still have to pay for it" ... Do people not realise how much work goes into capturing water, storing water and distributing water to homes ... Then there is wastewater - pipes, wastewater treatment plants, sludge disposal, effluent testing etc.

People would really want to fcuk off and stop wanting everything for nothing - how are all these protesters getting the time to abuse IW workers and Gardai during the day?? Most of us don't have the time unless we go during our 30min break.

We already have bailed out the Banks and the Bondholders, pay Property Tax, VAT, Income Tax and pay for treatment of water and sewage.
    Cancer and heart attack/strokes levels are very high here because of the amount of Chlorine/Fluoride in tap water and homogenised and pasteurised milk, beer, soft drinks etc.

I work hard and I never begrudge others of anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Group of hackers Imitation hacker against water charges

So what? What's he actually going to do? Why is this news?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,998 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

irishfeen wrote: »
    Really don't understand...

Nope. You really don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,256 ✭✭✭Potatoeman

20Cent wrote: »
    Isn't that what anonymous is anyone can make one of those videos put out an issue? No leadership or anything central just people proposing ops and hoping others will join in.

Yes, but people cant wrap their small minds around that. Are journalists so lazy they cant even google search anymore?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement