Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anxiety and/or depression discussion.

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

theres a doc called life below zero on netflix. about living in the wilderness of alaska. Looks like absolute nirvana. No bills, no stress, no worries. i want to move to alaska

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Self harming. I know its bad but nothing else is as calming.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,449 ✭✭✭Call Me Jimmy

i feel for you cloud :( been readin how ye're trying to get back into college, ye keep pushing back where say myself I've wilted. I think ye're quite strong.

i think what i do is self-harming as well. I'll keep repeating it, like a junkie, I can see what a state its making me, sub-human almost, almost at the point of rocking backwards and forwards, and I still do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Having a bad dose of it today now.. I've proactively tried to address anxiety issues te last few weeks, but it's been pretty bad today. Annoyed with myself. It's triggered today by thinking about a toxic friend of mine back home ( I'm in Canada) it bothers me far more than it should. Can't concentrate or think straight. Going to do some yoga or mediation when I get home later.

I've also had this thing for a while where if I get a phone call, text, email etc I automatically assume it will be bad or distressing news. Anyone else have something like this? Actively trying to do something about it
    Been there, done that; hated that wrong-time phone call - because I thought it was bad news from home. It never was...

You: in Canada. Your toxic ex-friend: 3,000+ miles away.

No-one can handle toxins for more than a short time.

Live your new life. Embrace it, and enjoy it. New start; poles apart and all that...

Make a (small, small bit) little bit of room for toxic friends, but not enough room for them to live with you. Talk, maybe... give your address? no way, see...

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

shezer wrote: »
    Hey. Hope you feel better than earlier today. Can you elaborate a bit on this?

I mean everything. Everything is coloured by this negative outlook I have about everything. I fear the worst when simple things happen. I get suicidal thoughts when I get down. My boyfriend says he wants to talk about something to me, but doesn't feel he can, I feel like utter ****, and want to kill myself because of the fact I try my best to be a good person, and think it's unfair on me.
    It's just everything, and it's not normal. Plus, as you can imagine it's fairly difficult to keep listening to. As well as ruining everything for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Esel wrote: »
    Been there, done that; hated that wrong-time phone call - because I thought it was bad news from home. It never was...

You: in Canada. Your toxic ex-friend: 3,000+ miles away.

No-one can handle toxins for more than a short time.

Live your new life. Embrace it, and enjoy it. New start; poles apart and all that...

Make a (small, small bit) little bit of room for toxic friends, but not enough room for them to live with you. Talk, maybe... give your address? no way, see...

I hear what you're saying and I am annoyed with myself for letting myself get bothered by this right now.. Maybe it's because we were so close for a long time. I rarely hear from him now that I'm away. Our fathers are close friends, so he is privy to a lot of sensitive information ( my family basically imploded the last few years) and has thrown this in my face. Constant sniping, undermining sneering comments which he tries to play off as being funny or condones on the excuse he was drunk. Pompous, smarmy, hyper critical egotistical gob****e. A Loud mouth belligerent obnoxious know it all bully.. Is a a nosey who likes to judge and belittle every aspect of people's lives. I just don't like to be around the guy anymore. Smug ****. My rant here gives an indication of how much this annoys me. I've distanced myself from him but it crept up on me today as we were in touch at the weekend. I said to another friend at home not to allow this other prick to influence him as regards me as he has done so repeatedly.. Seems to revel in among others feel bad.. One thing be loves to do is have his "pops" where he will bring up things from the past repeatedly as if they have any place in the present. I did some regrettable things when I was younger ( nothing really bad) but this guy loves to vindictively throw this **** on me. This guy spent hundreds of nights in out house growing up, my parents treated him like a son and he has the ****ing gall to sit there on the intimate details of my families lives and issues. **** him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭stinkle

Sorry to hear about your family issues. It must be tough alright having to worry about them from far away and knowing that someone you dont trust is aware of private information. As a private person that would do my head in. What was your friend's reaction to you saying not to be influenced by the toxic guy? A great piece of advice I got years ago was "people will think/believe what they want to think/believe", and it's no reflection on you if they do.

I totally empathise with you, am moving away myself soon and one big worry is how to deal with stress from home.

I've been doing well with my anxiety lately - mainly due to not working in a toxic environment anymore! Im up and down regarding my move but overall positive. Today however I have a lot to do (usually a good thing) and have been up since early. I did say I'd pop into an old workplace (not my most recent one) and say bye to a few people. I also want to thank some folk for being good to me recently. However, I'm terrified and dreading it! Now I hate attention and am not looking forward to being in any groups - one on one goodbyes are grand. One person I will need to speak to is notoriously tetchy and maybe that's why I'm afraid. But people by and large are nice and I;d like to say thanks in person and I'm sure they will want to wish me well.

I;ve been quite mindful recently and aware of irrational thoughts/been processing why I react negatively to things, and am trying to so that right now instead of just wallow in the Dread. I feel like I'm gonna be disturbing people at work, and that I don't deserve any goodwill. There is no good reason to feel like this. Typing this is helping. I know saying goodbye will give me closure. If I do it today I dont have to feel bad about putting it off/will never feel the Dread about this again if I just DO IT. It's a good thing to do - I'd like to stay connected with some people and this is good "networking" (somthing Im crap at). Also, apart from the tetchy person, this is actually a nice thing to do, karma-wise. And even if the mean guy is a pain, then I can always say to em that they are and walk away - they have no power over me anymore, and living well IS the best revenge.

Deep breaths here. I'm gonna go visit with a friend and have another friend to meet so there's lots of positive incentives.

Step 1 - buy thank you cards for nice people. That's done

Step 2 - write thank you cards. Even if I get too embarrassed to give them (yes I do that!) or if the people I want to see arent available, it's done. They can go in pigeon holes. Off I go to write.

"I don't want to break up with you but..."

I have so much I could get done today, but I just want to stay in my room. But I think I might hate myself for not using the time off, so I've made a hair appointment to make me get out. Though it's not for another hour, and it's hard not to cry in the meantime. I hate when people can tell I've been crying. Plus just being out and will probably make me feel worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Gongoozler wrote: »

I have so much I could get done today, but I just want to stay in my room. But I think I might hate myself for not using the time off, so I've made a hair appointment to make me get out. Though it's not for another hour, and it's hard not to cry in the meantime. I hate when people can tell I've been crying. Plus just being out and will probably make me feel worse.

He broke up with you? :confused:

• Advertisement

stinkle wrote: »
    Step 1 - buy thank you cards for nice people. That's done

Step 2 - write thank you cards. Even if I get too embarrassed to give them (yes I do that!) or if the people I want to see arent available, it's done. They can go in pigeon holes. Off I go to write.

*waits eagerly for postman* :cool: :D

I hear what you're saying and I am annoyed with myself for letting myself get bothered by this right now.. Maybe it's because we were so close for a long time. I rarely hear from him now that I'm away. Our fathers are close friends, so he is privy to a lot of sensitive information ( my family basically imploded the last few years) and has thrown this in my face. Constant sniping, undermining sneering comments which he tries to play off as being funny or condones on the excuse he was drunk. Pompous, smarmy, hyper critical egotistical gob****e. A Loud mouth belligerent obnoxious know it all bully.. Is a a nosey who likes to judge and belittle every aspect of people's lives. I just don't like to be around the guy anymore. Smug ****. My rant here gives an indication of how much this annoys me. I've distanced myself from him but it crept up on me today as we were in touch at the weekend. I said to another friend at home not to allow this other prick to influence him as regards me as he has done so repeatedly.. Seems to revel in among others feel bad.. One thing be loves to do is have his "pops" where he will bring up things from the past repeatedly as if they have any place in the present. I did some regrettable things when I was younger ( nothing really bad) but this guy loves to vindictively throw this **** on me. This guy spent hundreds of nights in out house growing up, my parents treated him like a son and he has the ****ing gall to sit there on the intimate details of my families lives and issues. **** him

Have you challenged him on this?

*waits eagerly for postman* :cool: :D
    Bought a few cards there earlier then thought about extra old job people I should include and had to go out again to get more. Ended up getting a jumbo pack so will have plenty spare if you'd like? :p

Feel good to get that done - unfortunately the difficult personality was out BUT it meant I wasnt put in bad form by them AND while I still have to talk to em later on in the week it just felt good to be in the building and talk to the friendly folk. Takes the edge off visit #2 and it's not like I chickened out. Normally if I put something off I feel bad fr doing that, but them being absent today isn't my fault so no feeling bad! :)

Time for a nice feed I think.

Bought a few cards there earlier then thought about extra old job people I should include and had to go out again to get more. Ended up getting a jumbo pack so will have plenty spare if you'd like? :p

Feel good to get that done - unfortunately the difficult personality was out BUT it meant I wasnt put in bad form by them AND while I still have to talk to em later on in the week it just felt good to be in the building and talk to the friendly folk. Takes the edge off visit #2 and it's not like I chickened out. Normally if I put something off I feel bad fr doing that, but them being absent today isn't my fault so no feeling bad! :)

Time for a nice feed I think.

Saying thank you is so rewarding. I love the look on people's faces when they are not expecting your thanks or gift. Fair play to you. That really picks people up and it builds life long bridges.

Yeah it was a good feeling! I get embarrassed easily though so was dreading getting flushed or upset but yay it was nice. I'm spreading the warm fuzziness into this thread for all!

He broke up with you? :confused:

No. It's not a nice way to start a sentence.

good work making the appointment, little treats can work wonders. Why do you say being out might make you worse?

good work making the appointment, little treats can work wonders. Why do you say being out might make you worse?

It's helped a little, my hair does look good.

Being out around town reminds me of everything we've done together, and I see things I would normally comment to him about or whatever.

It's helped a little, my hair does look good.

Being out around town reminds me of everything we've done together, and I see things I would normally comment to him about or whatever.
    ah I see, that is tough on you alright. How did you feel in town? Haircuts are therapeutic for me - in the past Ive been in crap situations and broke at the same time so couldnt afford them that often. Going for the chop eventually was like saying bye bye to that situation as well as the dodgy bad-conditioned hair!

ah I see, that is tough on you alright. How did you feel in town? Haircuts are therapeutic for me - in the past Ive been in crap situations and broke at the same time so couldnt afford them that often. Going for the chop eventually was like saying bye bye to that situation as well as the dodgy bad-conditioned hair!

Still in town. Not too bad.
    In fairly down on money after my holiday but this was a student place, so it was cheap. Which is nice. It's relaxing having someone do your hair alright.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

Every now and then I look up some Beavis and Butthead or Earthworm Jim clips on YouTube to cheer myself up if feeling blue. Sometimes the little things like that can do wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Every now and then I look up some Beavis and Butthead or Earthworm Jim clips on YouTube to cheer myself up if feeling blue. Sometimes the little things like that can do wonders.
    Try some Tex Avery too! :)

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,891 ✭✭✭✭Hugo Stiglitz

I'm partial to a bit of SpongeBob too! :D:o

Sorry to hear about your family issues. It must be tough alright having to worry about them from far away and knowing that someone you dont trust is aware of private information. As a private person that would do my head in. What was your friend's reaction to you saying not to be influenced by the toxic guy? A great piece of advice I got years ago was "people will think/believe what they want to think/believe", and it's no reflection on you if they do.

I totally empathise with you, am moving away myself soon and one big worry is how to deal with stress from home.

I've been doing well with my anxiety lately - mainly due to not working in a toxic environment anymore! Im up and down regarding my move but overall positive. Today however I have a lot to do (usually a good thing) and have been up since early. I did say I'd pop into an old workplace (not my most recent one) and say bye to a few people. I also want to thank some folk for being good to me recently. However, I'm terrified and dreading it! Now I hate attention and am not looking forward to being in any groups - one on one goodbyes are grand. One person I will need to speak to is notoriously tetchy and maybe that's why I'm afraid. But people by and large are nice and I;d like to say thanks in person and I'm sure they will want to wish me well.

I;ve been quite mindful recently and aware of irrational thoughts/been processing why I react negatively to things, and am trying to so that right now instead of just wallow in the Dread. I feel like I'm gonna be disturbing people at work, and that I don't deserve any goodwill. There is no good reason to feel like this. Typing this is helping. I know saying goodbye will give me closure. If I do it today I dont have to feel bad about putting it off/will never feel the Dread about this again if I just DO IT. It's a good thing to do - I'd like to stay connected with some people and this is good "networking" (somthing Im crap at). Also, apart from the tetchy person, this is actually a nice thing to do, karma-wise. And even if the mean guy is a pain, then I can always say to em that they are and walk away - they have no power over me anymore, and living well IS the best revenge.

Deep breaths here. I'm gonna go visit with a friend and have another friend to meet so there's lots of positive incentives.

The friend I brought this up with said he gets where I'm coming from. In the past he'd say something like "oh that's just him, he doesn't mean it" etc.. I've been accused of being over sensitive at times but i am not imagining this.. Just a nasty piece of work.. And his ridiculous sense of self importance has grown since he finally got himself a bird this year.. He's one of these guys who tries to impart advice and judge your life choices as if he is some sort of infallible moral authorit. I think all this stems from school days, I know he has a lot of insecurities from then.. He was a bit of a geek, got bullied in school but then became a bully himself ( to teachers) people would say he was sunny: bull****. He's an obnoxious know it all ****. In relation to he other friend at the beginning of this post, the toxic guy at a recent stag brought up an incident from a ears back which led to some friction with me and the first guy. Brought it up opnwly and vindictively. I'm probably going to be best man at the first guys wedding but the toxic guy kept banging on about this " saying nonsense along the lines of you don't deserve a grooms man gig etc.. Total garbage and he is completely fixated with childish petty nonsense like this.. Another poster asked have i challenged him on this.. The answer is yes and no... He is a textbook adult bully and toxic friend... I don't like him being aware of how much all this bothers me so sometimes I just rub it off.. But I have a cutting way with words at times and part of me would like to hurt him badly.. He said I was "easy to read" so he thrives on this.. Can you believe this guy was one of my best friends?? I have picked his father off the floor of a pub and put him in a taxi more than once.. He doesn't know that.. Everything is black and white with this guy.. Judges people purely on thier job status breeding (yes he says **** like this). He's obsessed with his looks ( he's an ugly bespectacled twat) so has some deep rooted insecurities on that...
    I have told him he is so petty and childish and it's pathetic how he is fixated with other propels lives... It does as I have said bother me how he is so privy to a LOT of sensitive Info on my family which i know he gossips about to others... I really have no interest talking with this person... He's basically a busy body gossipy old woman.. Couldn't handle the fact myself and another guy were having a private conversation not so long ago.. Couldn't understand it.. "You and X aren't even tight anyway".. I've known the other guy for 23 years.. He makes assumptions based on people's relationships.. There's no doubt he sees me as an easy target.. We had another friend who basically got slagged so much he basically distanced himself from the entire group ( not me).. He was the target for this guy and others and now I get it.. It's no win.. When you react to "slagging" you're told to lighten up and stop being defensive.. But with this guy it's beyond slagging and its repetiive.. I'm done taking it.. But I'm not taking it anymore.. I'm stronger than I was mentally but I'm only human.. All this has become so apparent tonne being away and the toxic guy only came home from Australia after 4 years away last year, so we'd only see eqh other for short periods of the year... So it felt like we were still tight, but we really weren't..

The friend I brought this up with said he gets where I'm coming from. In the past he'd say something like "oh that's just him, he doesn't mean it" etc.. I've been accused of being over sensitive at times but i am not imagining this.. Just a nasty piece of work.. And his ridiculous sense of self importance has grown since he finally got himself a bird this year.. He's one of these guys who tries to impart advice and judge your life choices as if he is some sort of infallible moral authorit. I think all this stems from school days, I know he has a lot of insecurities from then.. He was a bit of a geek, got bullied in school but then became a bully himself ( to teachers) people would say he was sunny: bull****. He's an obnoxious know it all ****. In relation to he other friend at the beginning of this post, the toxic guy at a recent stag brought up an incident from a ears back which led to some friction with me and the first guy. Brought it up opnwly and vindictively. I'm probably going to be best man at the first guys wedding but the toxic guy kept banging on about this " saying nonsense along the lines of you don't deserve a grooms man gig etc.. Total garbage and he is completely fixated with childish petty nonsense like this.. Another poster asked have i challenged him on this.. The answer is yes and no... He is a textbook adult bully and toxic friend... I don't like him being aware of how much all this bothers me so sometimes I just rub it off.. But I have a cutting way with words at times and part of me would like to hurt him badly.. He said I was "easy to read" so he thrives on this.. Can you believe this guy was one of my best friends?? I have picked his father off the floor of a pub and put him in a taxi more than once.. He doesn't know that.. Everything is black and white with this guy.. Judges people purely on thier job status breeding (yes he says **** like this). He's obsessed with his looks ( he's an ugly bespectacled twat) so has some deep rooted insecurities on that...
    I have told him he is so petty and childish and it's pathetic how he is fixated with other propels lives... It does as I have said bother me how he is so privy to a LOT of sensitive Info on my family which i know he gossips about to others... I really have no interest talking with this person... He's basically a busy body gossipy old woman.. Couldn't handle the fact myself and another guy were having a private conversation not so long ago.. Couldn't understand it.. "You and X aren't even tight anyway".. I've known the other guy for 23 years.. He makes assumptions based on people's relationships.. There's no doubt he sees me as an easy target.. We had another friend who basically got slagged so much he basically distanced himself from the entire group ( not me).. He was the target for this guy and others and now I get it.. It's no win.. When you react to "slagging" you're told to lighten up and stop being defensive.. But with this guy it's beyond slagging and its repetiive.. I'm done taking it.. But I'm not taking it anymore.. I'm stronger than I was mentally but I'm only human.. All this has become so apparent tonne being away and the toxic guy only came home from Australia after 4 years away last year, so we'd only see eqh other for short periods of the year... So it felt like we were still tight, but we really weren't..

Do you feel better after typing all of the above? Stop giving these dudes the power over you. Cut them dead. They are insignificant. You choose who you let in your life. Make the choice

Do you feel better after typing all of the above? Stop giving these dudes the power over you. Cut them dead. They are insignificant. You choose who you let in your life. Make the choice

No, I don't at all.. I think I just wanted to vent ( and am sorry to those who had to read through that!) I know I should disconnect and I am trying even if it doesn't seem that way from my posts.. Emotional detachment from the past, people is something I god difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

I thought I'd throw up a post for somebody to guide me in the right direction.

I generally am fine but over the last number of years have noticed I have a kind of health type anxiety and it is potentially restricting my life but I do try and get over it and generally am doing okay.

So let's trawl back a number of years to my teens, I was always paranoid I had some type of cancer or disease, I would get pains in my sides and think it was cancer in my lungs/ lymph nodes. Then I would be completely obsessive with my testicles and thinking I had testicular cancer, eventually after years of this I got the all clear only after I insisted on an ultrasound.

More recently my I have had one or two panic attacks for no real reason, although they would tend to coincide soon after a heavy weekend drinking of a stressful time.

But occasionally in work I would be sitting there without a bother and then suddenly a pulse of fear would overcome me, I would feel I need to escape, my heart was start beating fast and I would start sweating. I can't just get up from my seat at a whim and need to ask to leave so this made me continue to fear this happening. When I would live I would scurry down the corridor thinking I was going to collapse before composing myself in the toilet and returning to my desk.

I have never been too social but really like going out and doing things, but even doing something social that I enjoy and would have no knowing that I am anxious I would notice my hands would be actually shaking but not very noticeably.

I really find it quite difficult to do things where I can't escape from, so I could be sitting have a lunch with friends and would suddenly get this sense through my body of anxiety, panic, thinking I was going to have a heart attack, panic attack and would find the rest of my time obsessing about this and just hoping the whole lunch would be finished and I could leave, unless of course I did leave!

This also happens occasionally in lectures and on trains etc, buses not too bad as I have a sense I can get out when i want.

Now I do notice this is all made even worse after drinking coffee and 2 or 3 days after a Saturday night out etc...

The worst thing about this is Alcohol is the one thing that does relieve these feelings of anxiety or panic and when I went through a particularly bad patch there about 6 months ago I would find myself coming home occasionally after thinking I was going to die on the DART and have a can or two just to ease my tensions. Don't worry I realise this is not helping me and I don't do it anymore.

At the moment I am stable enough but I do find myself whenever I am not busy obsessing about some illnesses, whatever is on the news I check it out online and often convince myself I have it. If i crack my ribs or do feel slightly off I get paranoid and check my pulse and stuff. Another thing is often when blowing my nose I check the tissue to see if I am having a nosebleed!

I have been to the GP but he said I was fine physically and there is nothing else he could do really.

Generally I get by fine though but just seeing does anybody have advice for the above :O

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭Roquentin

sounds like that friend is on the narcissism spectrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭handbagmad

Very liberating to say "No" to a certain someone today,and not back it up with some lame excuse or reason.
    Their reaction was priceless.

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭chinacup

Roquentin wrote: »
    pretty much every time i do something new the anxiety kills me before. the anticipation of the event causes me such grief. im a man of repetition also, in that i prefer doing the same thing continuously rather than waking up to uncertainty every day

I've found the more fear inducing things I attempt the better it is in the long run but I can totally relate to the anxiety killing things. Sometimes the anxiety is just too much and you need to just keep it simple. Changing routine is hard no doubt, is there something specific you wanted to do lately where it held you back?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement