Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Official Cavan GAA Discussion thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Thunderbirds

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Lacken 0-11 Gaels 0-11 full-time. Yet another replay!!!

And light stayed on. Meeting was tonight about appeal. No decision yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭Tom Joad

And light stayed on. Meeting was tonight about appeal. No decision yet.

Who was meeting??

Tom Joad wrote: »
    Who was meeting??

County board Castlerahan and Mullahoran

County board Castlerahan and Mullahoran

county board latest tweet very interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

Match is postponed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Appeal to Ulster so

Appeal to Ulster so

Yep and no indication yet as to when they will meet. This will go all the way to Croke Park.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭KeepTheFaith

Castlerahan have lost a couple of games prior to the Mullahorn game. Which they also lost. Seems like sour grapes to be appealing over the sake of a minute of play.

Also I think it should be pointed out that I have never, ever heard a club player, from any county, saying he was satisfied with the fixtures. It seems an impossible task for a county board.

Half time Senior Championship 1/4 final- Cuchullains 0-4 Killygarry 0-1 :eek:

• Advertisement

Castlerahan have lost a couple of games prior to the Mullahorn game. Which they also lost. Seems like sour grapes to be appealing over the sake of a minute of play.

Also I think it should be pointed out that I have never, ever heard a club player, from any county, saying he was satisfied with the fixtures. It seems an impossible task for a county board.

Also very harsh that they had to play 3 games in 8 days

1 minutes play when losing by a point......any team would feel hard done by

Also very harsh that they had to play 3 games in 8 days

1 minutes play when losing by a point......any team would feel hard done by

Well they lost the first two games also..

The 1 minute they are questioning happened while Castlerahan were a point ahead at the end of the first half of extra time.

Well they lost the first two games also..

The 1 minute they are questioning happened while Castlerahan were a point ahead at the end of the first half of extra time.

Second game was a replay....on the wednesday after a game on the Sunday

its a minute that was ignored. So you are saying its ok for a ref to blow up the first half a minute or so early and then carry on?

I see the Gaels v Lacken replay is set for Friday night rather than Wednesday. A bit of shutting the door when the horse has bolted

Second game was a replay....on the wednesday after a game on the Sunday

its a minute that was ignored. So you are saying its ok for a ref to blow up the first half a minute or so early and then carry on?

I see the Gaels v Lacken replay is set for Friday night rather than Wednesday. A bit of shutting the door when the horse has bolted

Ramor played the two games in that timeframe too, so they can't have any complaints about that really. They lost to Kingscourt and Ramor before they lost to Mullahorn. I don't think it's right for a club to lost two games in the championship (neither of which they can blame on condensed fixtures, the Mullahorn game is the only loss they can attribute that to really) and then kick up a fuss about a minute not being played in a game when they were ahead in that time. They weren't being denied the time to mount a comeback or anything.

I'm not saying it's ok for the ref not to play the full time but Castlerahan were ahead at the time the lights went out and the minute of play there should have been was left out. They then went on to lose in the last ten minutes of the game. I don't see the solid basis for saying that they were denied a result based on the failure to play that minute.

My club isn't senior and Castlerahan are a club I'd like to see do well so I'm not saying that out of any sort of agenda I'm just looking at it objectively. I don't think it's going to do them any good in the long run and they would have been better served taking it on the chin. They're entitled to appeal though and technically I suppose they have a strong case if they have evidence so best of luck to them.

Ramor played the two games in that timeframe too, so they can't have any complaints about that really. They lost to Kingscourt and Ramor before they lost to Mullahorn. I don't think it's right for a club to lost two games in the championship (neither of which they can blame on condensed fixtures, the Mullahorn game is the only loss they can attribute that to really) and then kick up a fuss about a minute not being played in a game when they were ahead in that time. They weren't being denied the time to mount a comeback or anything.

I'm not saying it's ok for the ref not to play the full time but Castlerahan were ahead at the time the lights went out and the minute of play there should have been was left out. They then went on to lose in the last ten minutes of the game. I don't see the solid basis for saying that they were denied a result based on the failure to play that minute.

My club isn't senior and Castlerahan are a club I'd like to see do well so I'm not saying that out of any sort of agenda I'm just looking at it objectively. I don't think it's going to do them any good in the long run and they would have been better served taking it on the chin. They're entitled to appeal though and technically I suppose they have a strong case if they have evidence so best of luck to them.

Ramor played 2 in 4 days, not 3 in 8. These guys are amateur players and 3 games in 8 days is ridiculous

Would also agree that the current system is crazy re backdoor etc. There shouldnt be the amount of teams in the Senior Championship that there is. Looking at Killeshandra for example. They got 2 hidings from Killygarry and Castlerahan. Clearly an intermediate team. There should be a max of 12 teams in the Senior Championship in order to make it competitive. There was also hidings given out in the Intermediate Championship....Mountnugent for example got hammered twice by Ballyhaise, and cant think of the second team.

The whole system needs to be looked at and games need to be played earlier in the year

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭slimshady007

By the strict rules of the game Castlerahan will win their appeal. The fact they only lost by a point will help their case. If the lights went out in the 2nd half of ET would the ref have called full time even though the full 10 mins weren't played? No, they'd have played out the remaining time when the lights came back on so why the county board called half time when the lights went out is beyond me.

Agree on the competitiveness of the championships although killeshandra won the intermediate last year so they had to go up. Mountnugent were a poor intermediate team with Givney so now he's gone they will probably be relegated in the next couple of years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Blue in hope

By the strict rules of the game Castlerahan will win their appeal. The fact they only lost by a point will help their case. If the lights went out in the 2nd half of ET would the ref have called full time even though the full 10 mins weren't played? No, they'd have played out the remaining time when the lights came back on so why the county board called half time when the lights went out is beyond me.

The referees report says he did play the full 10 minutes and blew his whistle to signal the end of the half. The PA announcer ( not the secretary)did call out that the referee did call half time. If their appeal is based on 10 minutes not been played this has been dismissed by the referee report. There was also no mention in the report anywhere that either the winning or the losing team objected to half time been called as the full 10 minutes had not been played. It is going to be very hard to win the appeal on those grounds.

If that's true about the referee's report then it's surely a lie. I wasnt at the game but from the numerous accounts I've heard the game was in full flow when the lights went out and there was 8 - 9 minutes played depending on who you talk to. Not one person has said the full 10 mins were played. Castlerahan wouldnt have had a reason to object as they were a point up at the time.

If that's true about the referee's report then it's surely a lie. I wasnt at the game but from the numerous accounts I've heard the game was in full flow when the lights went out and there was 8 - 9 minutes played depending on who you talk to. Not one person has said the full 10 mins were played. Castlerahan wouldnt have had a reason to object as they were a point up at the time.

The electronic scoreboard timer was stuck on 9:21 but I have no idea when it stopped. They may have stopped it as soon as the lights went out or may have let it go another while. For what its worth Castlerahan were attacking at the time and had the momentum, so the unschedueled break definitely helped the eventual winners.

Any word on when the appeal verdict is known? Dragging on too long as this stage

Nothing official. A few rumours on the hogan stand forum today that ulster ordered a replay but I'm sure there'd have been official communication by now if that were true. If they did get another crack at it then they would be tough opponents for anyone with some of their main players back in the team.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭Akabusi

The facts of the matter are:

The referee has said that there was 10 minutes played and he blew for half time.
    The county board checked the video to see if this was the case and that is why they threw out the appeal.

Castlerahan can say only 8 or 9 minutes were played and the scoreboard clock was stopped at 9:42 but there is no way of knowing if it was started on time. The official in charge of the time is the referee and if he says it was 10 minutes and a video verifies this then it is case closed.

If Ulster side with Castlerahan it will be mayhem with clubs throwing in appeals left right and centre. On Sunday last the clock never started for the second half of the Kingscourt v Ramor game. Do we know that the right amount of time was played in the second half? Maybe Ramor should appeal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,559 ✭✭✭celt262

Castlerahan are not appealing for the craic they would have got a copy of that video from the county board and know exactly how long was played.

Did the Celt not say last week that there was 8 minutes something played going by the video????

celt262 wrote: »
    Castlerahan are not appealing for the craic they would have got a copy of that video from the county board and know exactly how long was played.

Did the Celt not say last week that there was 8 minutes something played going by the video????

Fair enough they believe the video will help their cause but to win the appeal the video must be able to prove without doubt that the time wasn't played and it clearly can't otherwise the county board would have ordered a replay.
    Why is there this discrepancy between what Castlerahan believe and what the county board believe? I don't know maybe the video missed part of the match even just the throw in then its open to question or does it be stopped when players are injured and then the time cannot be relied upon.
    Without this conclusive evidence it will ultimately fall back to what the referee has reported and rightly or wrongly Castlerahan will have to move on.
    In future maybe there should be an extra time official or both the referee and linesmen have to agree that sufficient time has been played.

Ulster Council deciding tonight at 8 30. County Board acknowledged time wasn't played but felt it wasn't Mullahoran's fault. So they passed the buck. Took the easy option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 819 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Yet another year where we play away from home for 4 of the 7 rounds!

Round 1 (1 February): Galway v Meath, Kildare v Down, Roscommon v Cavan, Westmeath v Laois

Round 2 (7/8 February): Down v Roscommon, Laois v Cavan, Meath v Kildare, Westmeath v Galway

Round 3 (28 February/1 March): Cavan v Down, Galway v Laois, Kildare v Westmeath, Roscommon v Meath

Round 4 (7/8 March): Cavan v Kildare, Down v Galway, Laois v Roscommon, Meath v Westmeath

Round 5 (14/15 March): Galway v Cavan, Kildare v Roscommon, Meath v Laois, Westmeath v Down

Round 6 (28/29 March): Cavan v Westmeath, Down v Meath, Laois v Kildare, Roscommon v Galway

Round 7 (5 April): Down v Laois, Galway v Kildare, Meath v Cavan, Westmeath v Roscommon

Ulster Council deciding tonight at 8 30. County Board acknowledged time wasn't played but felt it wasn't Mullahoran's fault. So they passed the buck. Took the easy option.

Lack of Balls.

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Yet another year where we play away from home for 4 of the 7 rounds!

Round 1 (1 February): Galway v Meath, Kildare v Down, Roscommon v Cavan, Westmeath v Laois

Round 2 (7/8 February): Down v Roscommon, Laois v Cavan, Meath v Kildare, Westmeath v Galway

Round 3 (28 February/1 March): Cavan v Down, Galway v Laois, Kildare v Westmeath, Roscommon v Meath

Round 4 (7/8 March): Cavan v Kildare, Down v Galway, Laois v Roscommon, Meath v Westmeath

Round 5 (14/15 March): Galway v Cavan, Kildare v Roscommon, Meath v Laois, Westmeath v Down

Round 6 (28/29 March): Cavan v Westmeath, Down v Meath, Laois v Kildare, Roscommon v Galway

Round 7 (5 April): Down v Laois, Galway v Kildare, Meath v Cavan, Westmeath v Roscommon

Could have been a lot kinder than that to be honest. First two on the road will be tough esp the Roscommon one but I do remember us giving them an absolute tanking in Roscommon on the opening day of the league a few years back (Raymond Galligan filled his boots that day) so maybe that's a good omen as we need to hit the ground running. Different Roscommon team now though.

Arguably the two easiest games for us are the last two but still wouldn't like to be going to Mordor looking for points to stay up not matter how good our recent record has been against Meath.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭cavan4sam

Wasn't it good to see a son of breffni play in the camp nou last night . He was a fine minor would love to have seen him play more for us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭lycan238

Round 3 (28 February/1 March): Cavan v Down,
    Round 4 (7/8 March): Cavan v Kildare,
    Round 6 (28/29 March): Cavan v Westmeath,

Decent selection of games. Have seen Kildare and Down in Breffini before but not Westmeath.

Well any news on Appeal?

Well any news on Appeal?

Ulster Council rejected it.

• Advertisement

Ulster Council rejected it.

Interesting I would love to know the full details of the appeal.

Castlerahan could not provide any proof that the correct time was not played. In the end it was their word against the referees

Akabusi wrote: »
    Castlerahan could not provide any proof that the correct time was not played. In the end it was their word against the referees

This whole thing is a waste of time then.

This whole thing is a waste of time then.

Yes it would seem so. They thought the video would provide the proof but it couldn't.

I assume Castlerahan will go straight to Croke Park now? :rolleyes:

That's incorrect. Wasn't rejected over time issue.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Akabusi View Post

Why was it rejected then?

Quote:

Why was it rejected then?

A public forum isn't really the place to say. Was more the CCC that the Ulster Council focused on.

A public forum isn't really the place to say. Was more the CCC that the Ulster Council focused on.

But Castlerahan's argument was that the whistle was blown to soon for the half time of extra time. Surely Ulster had to make a finding on that

• Advertisement

My club are locking to buy umpire gear. Where is best to get it?

But Castlerahan's argument was that the whistle was blown to soon for the half time of extra time. Surely Ulster had to make a finding on that

You would think so but the issue was more or less ignored.

You would think so but that issue was more or less ignored.

You would think so but that issue was more or less ignored.

Typical of the GAA. Is it case closed now or would Castlerahan make any progress bringing it to the DRA? That would hold up the Championship for weeks if not months

Typical of the GAA. Is it case closed now or would Castlerahan make any progress bringing it to the DRA? That would hold up the Championship for weeks if not months

Castlerahan have that option but it is expensive.

Quote:

It is very difficult to prove the referee didn't play the full allocated time at the end of first half extra time. That is a major problem to prove. the ref backed up by his linesman both said correct time was played.

• Advertisement

Quote:

It is very difficult to prove the referee didn't play the full allocated time at the end of first half extra time. That is a major problem to prove. the ref backed up by his linesman both said correct time was played.

That is why I thought it was thrown out. IMO it can't be proven and that will be the case no matter where they bring it

Could the video not be timed from when the ball was thrown in at the start until the lights went out?

Could the video not be timed from when the ball was thrown in at the start until the lights went out?

No the video does be stopped for breaks in play. If a player is down injured it gets stopped until play resumes. I cannot tell if it was stopped during this period in question but it is standard practice to cut out bits that are nobody would be interested in hence the time that the video shows is not accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭willabur

No the video does be stopped for breaks in play. If a player is down injured it gets stopped until play resumes. I cannot tell if it was stopped during this period in question but it is standard practice to cut out bits that are nobody would be interested in hence the time that the video shows is not accurate.

gees, if the video is stopped the poor lad down will never get back up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

From Anglo Celt online

No joy for Castlerahan with Ulster appeal
    Friday, 19th September, 2014 3:18pm
    Jump to comments

Castlerahan must decide their next move in the ongoing Cavan Senior Football Championship saga after the Ulster Council threw out their objection last night.
    The club objected against the result of their SFC qualifier against Mullahoran on the grounds that the allotted 10 minutes was not played in the first half of extra time.
    However, the appeal has now been turned down by both Cavan and Ulster. A source in the club told The Anglo-Celt earlier this week that they were planning to take it to the Disputes Resolution Authority (DRA) if needs be.
    They now have seven days to lodge papers with the DRA, along with a deposit of €1,000.

• Advertisement
Advertisement