Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

KPMG Drunk girl shutdown

• 05-01-2013 4:29am
    Site Banned Posts: 549 ✭✭✭

Why has there been an outright shutdown on the KPMG drunk girl video on this site.

It is a very topical point of discussion in Ireland at the moment and yet the topic has been shut down completely.

This video has put class divisions to the forefront of Irish societies thinking and I believe that we, the users of the community, should be allowed to discuss it.

I think this is not a good move by boards and I hope that boards isn't being cowed by KPMG or other companies.
    Post edited by Shield on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭SYDEWYNDER

I agree. However the liberal types may not be too best pleased with it considering the ''internet bullying'' suicides in recent months.

Boards.ie's position on the matter is however a crock.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭greenybaby

After an hour searching I finally seen the video, what a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 78,312 ✭✭✭✭Victor

The subject of the video would appear to be under-age. That is an important consideration.

I imagine there is an element of the snowball effect also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Its a 16 year old girl, who was drunk and said stupid things. She has now become the victim of what I would call cyber bullying.

Its a legal minefield, best avoided. Cut the girl some slack, we've all said stupid things

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭SYDEWYNDER

Boards is seriously lacking balls these days. Cheers for the info.

For you stand up fans out there, ponder Dave Chapelle's ''How old is 15 really?'' set.

If this girl thinks shes old enough to get wasted drunk, then she is old enough to deal with the consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Bloodwing

Ares wrote: »

It is a very topical point of discussion in Ireland at the moment and yet the topic has been shut down completely.

A girl gets drunk and talks **** and you consider that to be a topical point of discussion? This happens many times every day of the year to numerous people, should we have threads on all of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

The only topic worth discussing is the cyberbullying that is taking place and the consequences that may follow. People were and still are furious with askfm for the deaths of the Donegal sisters, this situation is no different and the abuse needs to stop before something regrettable happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

I can understand why Irish social media sites are running scared of this considering the recent tragic events in Donegal and the possible defamation of one of the most lawyered-up organisations in the state.

However to invoke the names of the Gallagher sisters in relation to this particular incident is insulting to their memory.

This is a video of a girl being both verbally *and* physically abusive while clearly under the influence of alcohol.

She is not a child; if she's old enough to go out and act like this in a public space of her own volition then she's old enough to face the consequences.

As a footnote, I've seen many people excuse her actions under the catch-all 'sure weren't we all makin' drunk eejits of ourselves at that age'. Well, believe it or not, many of us didn't and it points to a deeper dysfunction in Irish society in our relationship with alcohol that we attempt to pardon such verbal and physical abuse under such a pretext.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭ratedR

Regardless of her age or the fact that she was drunk, her attitude stinks. No doubt she'd never say those things when sober, but she obviously thinks them. The reactions of her friends tell you that. I doubt she picked up her opinions from the floor either. The video says a lot about class divisions and attitudes in Ireland, and that's why it should be allowed be discussed. This will be all over the papers in a day or two anyway.

I think this also differs from the cyber bullying cases of recent times. There's a difference between young and naive and being young, spoilt and full of your own importance for no reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The problem is that it's impossible to tell if she's underage or not.

If its proven that she's underage and the site freely allowed linking to the video and potentially damaging comments to be made than who knows what some lawyer type could do to the site (and Distilled Media).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

pithater1 wrote: »

If its proven that she's underage and the site freely allowed linking to the video and potentially damaging comments to be made than who knows what some lawyer type could do to the site (and Distilled Media).

She is way over age, looking at her Facebook Page. No prob.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,646 ✭✭✭greenpilot

pithater1 wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

SYDEWYNDER wrote: »
    Boards is seriously lacking balls these days. Cheers for the info.

For you stand up fans out there, ponder Dave Chapelle's ''How old is 15 really?'' set.

If this girl thinks shes old enough to get wasted drunk, then she is old enough to deal with the consequences.
    Since when is having a video of you acting like a gosh!te a consequence of being drunk????

She probably wouldn't have said it sober but it looks like she was provoked in the video. She may be a spoilt brat (she's far from alone in Ireland) but she doesn't deserve to have a video of her being an ass all over the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,873 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Another thread closed in After Hours on the subject. Whether you believe this to be the correct reason or not its ridiculous that no reason is being given for the closures. As has been stated already this seems to be about who she is rather than what she done. Just search drunk Irish on youtube and you'll find lots of similar videos. Heck, even Republic of telly have two segments based around such videos.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

If boards is taking an ethical stance that's fair enough, and I can get behind that. Although why it would be with this video such a stance is being taken and not with other issues.

However I can't understand any concern with legal matters. This is a public issue, she was filmed in public where no-one has an expectation of privacy (even children,) and no-one is claiming that the video was doctored.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,357 ✭✭✭✭Penn

greenpilot wrote: »

And that's part of the problem too. Girl gets drunk and says things she shouldn't have, and now randomers are looking at her Facebook page.

One girl says her father is rich while being hassled by some lads who are videoing her (and we have no idea what was said before the video started recording), while she was drunk, and people seem to think this is some sort of topical video, important for highlighting "class divisions".

People are trying to turn her into a meme. People are looking at her Facebook profile and possibly sending her messages. People have found pictures of her earlier that day. And until we know better, it's widely reported that she's 16.

Leave the girl alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'd hardly describe the young one's drunken rambling as something that has put class division to the forefront of debate in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,198 ✭✭✭✭looksee

There is nothing to discuss. People want to engage in voyeurism and self-righteous indignation so pretend to themselves that this video has some significance. It is exactly the same mentality that would have people peering out from behind net curtains to complain about what the neighbours are doing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,108 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"Don't be a dick" covers it for me. This includes not being a dick to silly drunk kids by proxy. What end would it serve to propagate it? The meme would be done in a week, but the harm might be hers for many a year. The old idea of todays headlines being tomorrow's fish and chips wrapper doesn't apply any more.

Plus for the majority 16 is a kid *old man speaking* Christ if half the stuff I said when I was 16 was written in stone silicone forever, I'd be fatally mortified. I really don't envy kids(or their parents) today one little bit on that front.

And no I'm not some hand wringer, I just think it crass to encourage this sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

MarkMc wrote: »
    Its a 16 year old girl, who was drunk and said stupid things. She has now become the victim of what I would call cyber bullying.

Its a legal minefield, best avoided. Cut the girl some slack, we've all said stupid things

I wonder would Boards.ie's stance been the same if the cameraman was the one giving the abuse to a young rich drunk girl ?

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭muff03

Saganist wrote: »

I wonder would Boards.ie's stance been the same if the cameraman was the one giving the abuse to a young rich drunk girl ?

Given some of the tragic events due to online influence lately, probably. This is nothing to get worked up over. If anything were to happen her because this has gone viral, the amount of hypocrites (not saying you, but the people on twitter having an awful go at her and naming her) commenting will be ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

muff03 wrote: »
    Given some of the tragic events due to online influence lately, probably. This is nothing to get worked up over. If anything were to happen her because this has gone viral, the amount of hypocrites (not saying you, but the people on twitter having an awful go at her and naming her) commenting will be ridiculous.

Agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Stillweak

greenpilot wrote: »

You didn't seen her Facebook page as she has had to take it down since early yesterday.
    She was so drunk she was not making any sense. "kpmg, **** your tits" and "kpmg is not in your distance" were two points she tried to make.
    If she didn't have a posh Dublin accent there would be no interest in this story.
    She deserves to be told to shut the **** up but not publicly humiliated.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I don't care about what she said in the video, it's a complete non-story. However I think the mods have handled it very badly. They have made it into a story, at least on this forum. There are already people taking every opportunity to bring it up in other AH threads. People are starting other threads about it (and I don't mean in this forum.) I can see jokes about being the child of someone in KPMG being made for years on here now.

That the thread was entirely deleted in the first place was a big mistake. That looks to people like a cover up, and people don't like the wool being pulled over their eyes. If the thread was locked and people were told to leave it be then it would probably have died down after a bit. But this was a very heavy handed approach. A second thread was started and that was locked with every post but the OP deleted. Now people are pissed, and calling out the obvious hypocrisy in locking one thread of something embarrassing and not many others. There's been a thread running in the Cork forum for 64 pages talking about "The Characters of Cork" many of whom are obviously disabled and have done nothing worse than leaving their own homes. For that not to be locked when this was a video of someone blatantly saying and doing stupid things* is just an obvious example I can think of off the top of my head. I'm sure a lot of posters can think of examples in the forums they post in themselves.

While other threads haven't been as vitriolic as these ones have, the reaction was over the top in this case. Instead of just locking them for being vitriolic and abusive which happens with a lot of threads, one thread was entirely deleted and another thread was 99% deleted and locked.

*I presume I haven't seen it, I'd imagine it'd make me cringe and feel embarrassed for the girl.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 idEocracy Is Here

Oh look grow up for f**ks sake. The reality is we live in an age of communication and these things are going to happen. It wont stop here...it's going to get to the point where we see the best and worst parts of everybody's personality. Does she deserve to be plastered all over the internet? Of course!...she made her choices and comments with a camera shoved in her face...but who gives a ****? It's happened before and people have been fine and it will happen again...if she self harms in the future the problem wont have been a video with a few comments under it...unless her parents did a terrible job..oh...never mind!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Boards.ie: Nicola

I am on my phone so I'll have to keep this brief (and repeat what I have said elsewhere). The video and discussions about it are a can of worms we don't want to open.

Ethical and cyber bullying implications aside, and while nobody was explicitly defamed in the video, there is a part of the Defamation Act which deals with damage to reputation and this video has the potential to do that for the girl and her family.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭The_Gatsby

Utter scobes, I bet it wasn't even an iPhone loike.

Nah you can see in the video she was being wound up but still, that's no excuse and she should keep opinions like that to herself no matter how much she's had to drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

As horrible as the girl's attitude is I think the mods have done a good job locking the threads.

A balanced discussion about the poor treatment given to those who are lower in society by some who have inflated wealth & egos would be interesting, but I am certain no such balanced discussion would take place.

It is similar in a way to the drunk students who appeared in Borat not knowing it was going to be a massive box office film. Even without a thread on the topic, the girl's reputation is going to be badly damaged by this.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Quick hypothetical:

One night out you've had a few too many and you find yourself mouthing off in a take away. Now somebody films your rant and as soon as they get back to the flat from the take away, egged on by the rest of the lads, uploads said rant to youtube.

The video goes spectacularly viral, to such an extent that you have to close down your Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn and is being discussed in full glory across the big forums where you have no way of defending yourself.

Now, would you like that happening to you? In 99.9999999999% of cases I'd imagine the idea would be a resounding 'no'.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

And once again Boards won't permit discussion on a video others are hosting and discussing.

So what if she was drunk and underage? She was in the public eye and as such is fair game. I'm not condoning people bullying her but I don't see why Boards members once again can't discuss this matter on Boards.ie