Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam Marathon 2013 - 14/04/2013

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭blockic

Was just looking up the website this evening myself! :pac:

I'm tempted for this to be my spring marathon!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

blockic wrote: »
    Was just looking up the website this evening myself! :pac:

I'm tempted for this to be my spring marathon!

It's very well organised, doesn't suffer too bad from congestion, relatively flat.
    Water in cups is the only downside really and plenty of hotel options beside the start and finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭ASIMON0V

Great stuff; you were very hard done by last year. I had been thinking the same myself but went for the Donadea 50k instead. We stayed in the hilton last year, worked out very well.

Cheers BeepBeep, im an aul novice so the more information the better!

Is there flights direct from dublin or what way have you booked?

Cheers BeepBeep, im an aul novice so the more information the better!

Is there flights direct from dublin or what way have you booked?

Fly to Amsterdam (much cheaper) and get the high speed train to Rotterdam, about 40 mins I think, the station is in the airport. Rotterdam Central station was less than 10 mins walk to my hotel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭theboyblunder

Im in too. Flights reg and hotel booked

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

I'm in. Registered, hotel booked but gonna wait on the flights.

Had to cancel last year so hopefully the winter goes better this time.

Right will give it a bash! registered tonight.

Anyone have any good hotel recommendations from experience?

Right will give it a bash! registered tonight.

Anyone have any good hotel recommendations from experience?

Most hotels close start are fine, Hilton, NH, etc. There's also some good apartment choices if there's a few travelling. If you try an get a hotel on that strip you can rock out of the hotel 20-30 mins before the start and you finish in the same spot.

Booked the flights tonight anyway.

Flying out the Saturday from Cork and back on the Monday evening.

Just the hotel left now, plan to sort that this week also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

Booked the flights tonight anyway.

Flying out the Saturday from Cork and back on the Monday evening.

Just the hotel left now, plan to sort that this week also.

The Manhattan is a good hotel to use. Real near the start / finish and an excellent pre-race breakfast (porridge can be a challenge for some of the Rotterdam hotels).

It used to be a Westin so it's high spec too. Not mega-expensive from what I remember - especially if you have an OH in tow

From the FB page
    Last chance to subscribe for advance purchase

Early bird subscribers can benefit from the early booking rate until December 15 th. So don't wait any longer, take on the challenge and subscribe now!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭belcarra

Signed up for this this morning. This will be my Spring target marathon but my main question is:
    Will I have enough recovery time if I do the Wicklow Way Ultra 3 weeks beforehand??
    (This will be on the back of Donadea 50km and Tralee marathon also!)

belcarra wrote: »
    Will I have enough recovery time if I do the Wicklow Way Ultra 3 weeks beforehand??
    (This will be on the back of Donadea 50km and Tralee marathon also!)

:eek:

I suppose it depends on how hard you run Wicklow Way, Donadea Tralee and how hard you want to run Rotterdam! ;)

That's alot of race milage the month before the target race though.

:eek:

I suppose it depends on how hard you run Wicklow Way, Donadea Tralee and how hard you want to run Rotterdam! ;)

That's alot of race milage the month before the target race though.

I did something similar with DCM and Dingle before Valencia a few weeks ago so I'm not worried about Tralee as I'll just run that easy. I hope to give a bit of effort to Donadea but that is far enough out. So, Wicklow Way Ultra is the main concern and is a tough course but I'd like to do it. I suppose I could just turn up and do that any weekend on my own though...Rotterdam will be for a PB (Sub 3:15 hopefully) so I suppose I should give myself a proper chance at that really...

In other news, VaderMLK is also signed up for Rotterdam so if anyone is looking to get an apt with 2 spare beds let us know!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,496 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I did something similar with DCM and Dingle before Valencia a few weeks ago so I'm not worried about Tralee as I'll just run that easy. I hope to give a bit of effort to Donadea but that is far enough out. So, Wicklow Way Ultra is the main concern and is a tough course but I'd like to do it.
    The Wicklow Way Ultra is very tough. Significantly harder than Donadea or Connemara. But very rewarding as it's an amazing course/experience. Personally, I wouldn't do it three weeks before my marathon goal, if the marathon was important to me.

Rotterdam will be for a PB (Sub 3:15 hopefully) so I suppose I should give myself a proper chance at that really...

Great, I'm targeting sub 3:15 there too.
    In other news, VaderMLK is also signed up for Rotterdam so if anyone is looking to get an apt with 2 spare beds let us know!

I'd be interested in this as the lad i was supposed to go with has pulled out. Looks like I'll be flying solo. If you are looking into it drop me a note.

Time to give this a bit of a bump me thinks.

How is everyone's training going??

Going well for myself so far. Hopefully it keeps up for another 10 weeks! Is it too early to be looking at the weather? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

I'm giving this one a go too, all signed up and training hard.

Booked flights yesterday.:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭MaxPower131

Hit the 20 mile mark last week for the first time, but these stiff cold winds have taken the fun out of it this week:eek:

Planning to stay in Amsterdam the night before and after. Get the train to Rotterdam that morning. Does anyone know if its much hassle picking up the race no. the morning of the race?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Rolex_

Entered this one but have bailed out due to a niggling injury which is limiting training of the necessary intensity. Maybe next year....

Confirmation of bib number and starting pen came in the post this morning :)

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

Got mine there last week too. Starting pin D. I think that is what I asked for!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭vinny1313

BeepBeep67 wrote: »

mine too!

Ok, so I'm getting nervous now as I still haven't got my number...

Well mine arrived there like last Tuesday and BeepBeeps only arrived today so I'd say it's on the way alright!

Got mine last week too.

Pen Y or Z or some other lowly letter of the alphabet.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Mr S hasn't gotten his yet either, not that he is nervous or concerned, he usually looks for his number the night before a race;)

• Advertisement

Marthastew wrote: »
    Mr S hasn't gotten his yet either, not that he is nervous or concerned, he usually looks for his number the night before a race;)

Mine was actually waiting for me when I got home yesterday evening. It's just a confirmation of entry and they are sending them out up 'til 2 weeks before the marathon so plenty of time for Joe to get his yet. We still have to go to the expo with that confirmation slip to get our number.

Advertisement