Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rotterdam marathon 2011

Options
  • 02-01-2011 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Doesnt look like there's a thread started on this, so thought I'd start one. I've signed up, booked the flights etc. I did 3:01 in Dublin 2009, got a bad injury 2010 (came of my bicycle at about 60km/hr and messed up my leg) so didnt get a chance to improve in 2010, so looking to break 3hrs in 2011. Anyone else signed up or advice from previous runner would be good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

poskantor wrote: »
    Doesnt look like there's a thread started on this, so thought I'd start one. I've signed up, booked the flights etc. I did 3:01 in Dublin 2009, got a bad injury 2010 (came of my bicycle at about 60km/hr and messed up my leg) so didnt get a chance to improve in 2010, so looking to break 3hrs in 2011. Anyone else signed up or advice from previous runner would be good.
    Flat course great pb course drinks in cups............Lonely in woods from 34-38 when you want crowds
    11am start due to paris starting at 8.45am is a negative if its too warm.
    Energy drink poor and drinking out of cups through sponges a bad idea. Got really dehydrated here. Lesson learnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭Brianderunner

Go into your starting pen early and get up near the front of it. Congestion is a serious problem there the first 5k until the feyenoord stadium. Book your hotel asap if you haven't already done it or you'll end up in the suburbs. Also make sure your pacing strategy is in km's not miles. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

Hi Poskantor,

I've signed up but unlike you I’m looking to get under 4 hours. Only done the 1 marathon last year (Belfast). Booked flights and staying over the girlfriends Dads house in Alphen (30mins away). Good luck with the training and I wish you all the best for the 3-hour goal. Might meet after the race for congratulatory drinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭dapope

Signed up, flights and accomodation booked.

Did 3:01 in Dublin 2006 and hoping to break 3 hours this time around. Fingers crossed. Reading last years thread it seems congestion is a problem at the start (first 5km) and water is handed out in cups and not bottles. I've also read it is quiet support wise between 32km-38km when you may need it most. Hopefully everything will be under control and any support a bonus :)

3 months to go!

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Pronator

Hi Guy's,

A Boards NewBee here. I'm booked into to run Rotterdam with a friend also. Flights and accom booked. Not sure what my goal is other than to finish the race. I've heard its flat which is always a bonus. I have run 8 previous marathon's and am planning another 2 this year with Rotterdam and Dublin or New York. Drinking from cups will be a big problem.

Training has been going ok - need to get more miles done though:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭pre

Pronator wrote: »
    Hi Guy's,

A Boards NewBee here. I'm booked into to run Rotterdam with a friend also. Flights and accom booked. Not sure what my goal is other than to finish the race. I've heard its flat which is always a bonus. I have run 8 previous marathon's and am planning another 2 this year with Rotterdam and Dublin or New York. Drinking from cups will be a big problem.

Training has been going ok - need to get more miles done though:pac:
    i heard its very flat alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

I found drinking from the cups totally fine. There is a little triangular cut out in the sponge which sits at the top of the cup. You can take a few sips out of it (with the sponge in) without it running down your nose/face....you just don't get that much out of it. I just took a cup at all of the stations and there are loads of them. I was well hydrated.

Loads of people supporting but you don't know what they are saying so its not like a home marathon. All in all, I thought it was a great one. Best of luck everyone I wish I was doing it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭KentuckyPete

I'm signed up too. Did it last year as my second marathon and PB'd in 3:14.27.

It's a great course - totally flat. I had no hassle with the cups either. I'd slow to a trot/walk as I approached the feed station and down my gel then take two cups, drinking one and pouring the other over my head while walking. Then one more cup to drink and then gone. I did this at 10, 20 and 30k. Cost around 12 seconds per stop (I can't drink properly while running).

There's loads of sponge stations too - you can grab two big sponges without breaking stride and douse yourself.

While saying the course is flat, there is a slight rise from 28 to 32K, However the downhill comes back by 32K and you can get a great lift from that.

Brianderunner is right about the pens. Get in early and go to the front. The congestion is shocking.

The craic afterwards is OK, not fantastic. A bunch of boardsies met up for beers last year and it was a good laugh - we should look to do the same again

There was a thread on the 2010 race. It's here. Read the later posts / race reports in there to get some good info. Misty Floyd ran 3:00.30 so pay close attention to his posts;)

I've entered the Rotterdam marathon back in November. I can't for the life of me remember which starting Pen I chose? I can't find any information regarding the start pen on my conformation email. I know it ain't a major issue but can anyone help?

topcat77 wrote: »
    I've entered the Rotterdam marathon back in November. I can't for the life of me remember which starting Pen I chose? I can't find any information regarding the start pen on my conformation email. I know it ain't a major issue but can anyone help?

Just drop them an email at: info@marathonrotterdam.nl and they should be able to tell you. I had to email them with proof of a recent time to get into the C pen and they got back to me very quickly.

• Advertisement

TC, they'll give you your pen assignment sometime in February (that's what happened last year anyway). If you're looking to start from one of the faster pens (A,B or C) you'll need to send them proof of your fast time from a previous race. Otherwise, depending on what estimated finish time you put on your entry, again based on last year's approach, they'll put you in D (3:00 to 3:30) or E (3:30 +) or whatever.

Good luck with the training

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭Speedy44

I fully intend to do this, but as is usual for me, I havn't signed up or booked anything yet :eek:
    Planning to go sub 3, finally :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭poskantor

Does anyone know if congestion is a problem at the start even in the faster pens. I'll be in pen c and wondering if I'll have to do a couple of slow kms at the start.

Hi Poskantor,

I have not done this before but according to a couple of work collegue's, once you are to the front of the Pen you should be fine. You won't have slow runners in the first 3 pens (A-C).

The advice I have got is to get there early, you will be fine in Pen C.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭village runner

Does anyone know if congestion is a problem at the start even in the faster pens. I'll be in pen c and wondering if I'll have to do a couple of slow kms at the start.

a and b start at left side of road and c starts on other side so in fact you can start at the front and then be in a group. depends on time you plan to run

Done my first 20 Mile (LSR) on Saturday!!! Little stiff today but i've got room to play around with my training schedule. Looking forward to this one.

Done my first 20 Mile (LSR) on Saturday!!! Little stiff today but i've got room to play around with my training schedule. Looking forward to this one.

nice one TC, what sort of time are you looking to run?

Am just getting towards the long runs too - haven't broken 15 miles yet. Was gearing towards shorter distances (Waterford Half and Dungarvan 10) but now that Dungarvan is done yesterday it's time to move to the next phase.

Strained the hamstring a bit on the last two miles in yesterday's race so there'll be a lot of recovery miles for the moment -nothing too strenuous.

Did 3:14:27 last year in Rotterdam so will aim for 3:10 in the training and see how we go. My McMillan target for the marathon improved a bit to under 3:10 after yesterday's 10-miler but I won't radically alter the training program for now.

I'll be looking at getting under the 4 hours. Looking at 3:45:00. I've Been following your training blog and you're going great. I'm doing the Craughwell 10 mile so i might bump into you then.

I'll be looking at getting under the 4 hours. Looking at 3:45:00. I've Been following your training blog and you're going great. I'm doing the Craughwell 10 mile so i might bump into you then.

Hey TC,
    Sorry its taken me so long to respond, thought I was following the thread but received no notifications.
    Hows the training going for the past few wks?

• Advertisement

Ain't been the best, Managed to get in a pace 6 miles on the 3rd Feb and then came down with a bad cold. Got over that and then got out for a pace 10 miler along the prom on the 10th(Really good session). Stupid me didn't strech fully after and in the morning my hip felt like i was in my 70's:(. I've let things carm down and looking at doing an easy 10k around Renmore tonight then 3 mile tempo (Wed) 10k easy (Thurs) 3mile temp (Fri) and then 14-16 mile easy (Sat). I let you know how it goes. I'm going to finish this then catch up on your blog! Best of luck everyone!

Thins not looking good! Think I've a mild case Hip Bursitis (My own investigation). Going on anti inflammatory (Naprosyn), massaging with sponge roller and stretching exercises. If anyone has got any advice it will be more than welcome.

Had hip pain the day after a 10 miler pace session last week (Thursday). Rested until this Wednesday then I done a 10k pace session. Hips ached a little the day after so I thought I’d run it out. Wet out again last night for a 10k and had to cut the run down to a 3 miler. Jumped into an epsom salt bath after the run and my hips still ache this morning. My symptoms matched the information on this wed site:

http://www.marathon-training-schedule.com/hip-pain-in-runners.html

This basically describes my exact symptoms.

If you have hip bursitis the pain will thus be:
    · On the outside of the hip.
    · About in the height when you stand with your arms to the side of your body - and right where your hands start.
    · You feel a "bony" thing there, that is the greater trochanter.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

topcat, you really need to go se a professional. Advice from random strangers on the internet who can't do a physical is asking for trouble.

Thins not looking good! Think I've a mild case Hip Bursitis (My own investigation). Going on anti inflammatory (Naprosyn), massaging with sponge roller and stretching exercises. If anyone has got any advice it will be more than welcome.

Had hip pain the day after a 10 miler pace session last week (Thursday). Rested until this Wednesday then I done a 10k pace session. Hips ached a little the day after so I thought I’d run it out. Wet out again last night for a 10k and had to cut the run down to a 3 miler. Jumped into an epsom salt bath after the run and my hips still ache this morning. My symptoms matched the information on this wed site:

http://www.marathon-training-schedule.com/hip-pain-in-runners.html

This basically describes my exact symptoms.

If you have hip bursitis the pain will thus be:
    · On the outside of the hip.
    · About in the height when you stand with your arms to the side of your body - and right where your hands start.
    · You feel a "bony" thing there, that is the greater trochanter.

HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!

As hunnymonster says get some professional advice asap. They will point you in the right direction. Even if you have to take some time off at least you will know exactly what the problem is. It might just be a case of a tight ITB but they will confirm it!

How's the prep going lads - this night four weeks it'll all be over :cool:

How's the prep going lads - this night four weeks it'll all be over :cool:

can't believe its only 4 weeks now. I'm already a week into taper :D

Last long run yesterday. Bring on the taper:D

Good stuff lads. I'm having a difficult count down to Rotterdam myself. Was struggling since xmas with my right achiles but i've got by. Was on course for sub 1:18 in the Carlingford Half the other week but the course was short. My left calf has since tightened and it feels weak. Hopefully I can make it to the start line in one piece.

Enjoy the taper!

dapope wrote: »
    Good stuff lads. I'm having a difficult count down to Rotterdam myself. Was struggling since xmas with my right achiles but i've got by. Was on course for sub 1:18 in the Carlingford Half the other week but the course was short. My left calf has since tightened and it feels weak. Hopefully I can make it to the start line in one piece.

Enjoy the taper!

sorry to hear about the set back. You must be targetting a serious time over there if you can get the calf sorted.
    Are you having work done on it?

• Advertisement

Speedy44 wrote: »
    sorry to hear about the set back. You must be targetting a serious time over there if you can get the calf sorted.
    Are you having work done on it?

Cheers Speedy. Original target was sub 3, that became sub 2:50. The Carlingford time had me on course to dip under 2:45 according to Daniels...

The way things are now i'll be happy to make the start line. I'll have a better idea what to target depending on how things progress injury wise over the coming weeks. I've had work done on it and looked after it pretty well. Hopefully I can build up some strength in it and everything will be ok. Training wise i havn't been able to do a whole pile for the last 2 weeks but I'm not too worried about that.

I've been following your training log and its great reading. Your in good shape. I'm a big believer in Daniels. Apart from the injury I came out of Phase 3 way ahead of anything I expected.

Advertisement