Forbidden Fruit 2012 - Page 34 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

06-06-2012, 20:19   #496
lordgoat

Went Monday and got there in time for Real Estate )sound was muck for them, a pie and Wilco. Who were brilliant. Better set than at Prima imo.
Advertisement
07-06-2012, 08:36   #497
ned rierson

real estate reminded me of the smiths live. pounding drums and barely audible guitar. wilco were class as usual. had a few brews with them after. nicest blokes you could meet
07-06-2012, 13:32   #498
part time punk

Didn't make it in the end but as I live not too far away I could hear bits of it really clearly. New order finished their set with Love Will Tear Us Apart right ? Had high hopes of sitting in my back garden on Monday night listening to Wilco but couldn't hear a peep.
07-06-2012, 21:08   #499
henryporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ned rierson View Post
real estate reminded me of the smiths live. pounding drums and barely audible guitar. wilco were class as usual. had a few brews with them after. nicest blokes you could meet
Where were the Wilco guys after the show?
12-06-2012, 13:09   #500
JJ

Didn't get around to posting about my Sunday at FF...

I was a bit gutted that the Trinity Orchestra weren't playing 1st thing on Sunday so I got there a little later than I originally planned and caught Daithi's last few songs and enjoyed the tunes even if there weren't many people there. I went to see We Cut Corners but only stayed for the first song. I decided to see Lower Dens because they were on the same stage before Grimes and I wanted to make sure I got a good spot.

Anyhoo, I was upfront and centre for Grimes and really enjoyed her set. I remember looking back before she started and people were trickling in and when I looked back at the end, the tent seemed nearly full. Oblivion and Genesis got the biggest reception from the crowd. Fellow Canadians Austra were on next on the main stage so I rushed over there and got there for the start of their set in plenty of time. I last saw them in Crawdaddy so seeing them on the main stage was a little strange but they were just as good if not better than their Crawdaddy gig.

I saw most of Death in Vegas' set, who were very good, though the tent was jammers. They should've been on the main stage. Since Purity Ring were on the same stage after them, I was able to get up front again. I felt sorry for them when they had some technical problems with their electronic-lamp instrument set-up. They got it working eventually and played a great set.

At that point, I was a bit wrecked and just hung out and visited the Phantom area. I enjoyed the Cast of Cheers' set but hung out in the back. They finished a little early so I was able to see New Order do a finale of Love Will Tear Us Apart. I'd have to say my first FF was a great experience. Only negatives were the queues for the jacks at times and people smoking in the tents with the security guards constantly having to tell them they can't smoke. Definite pluses were the handy location and the distinct lack of scobies. Despite the mostly bad weather, I didn't see anyone causing much trouble and there were good vibes all over the place.
(3) thanks from:
Advertisement
12-06-2012, 13:21   #501
wattlendaub

Great review; I echo the sentiments of how good the general vibe of FF was, and the distinct (and much appreciated) lack of louts in attendance. Great times all round!
Thanks from:
14-06-2012, 19:28   #502
Furious-Red

he second, extremely successful Forbidden Fruit has just taken place in the grounds of IMMA, Kilmainham (with a strong Hot Press presence, as you may have noticed) but the good people at Pod are already thinking ahead to next year. And they're thinking outside The Pale. FF promoters are planning to bring Forbidden Fruit 2013 to other locations in Ireland, with sites in Cork and Galway under consideration.

Meanwhile, organisers could scarcely be happier with how this summer's edition went, issuing this statement:

"The atmosphere on each of the three days was second to none and the standard of performances from all the acts was amazing across the weekend. We were particularly pleased to see the massive success of the newly added comedy stage, the Chuckleberry Lounge. Plans are already afoot for Forbidden Fruit 2013."
Thanks from:
14-06-2012, 20:18   #503
sporina

cork for 2013 i believe
17-06-2012, 01:07   #504
lc180

I always thought one of the main selling points of Forbidden Fruit was that it was a city centre music festival with no need for camping!

I wonder if this decision to look somewhere else had anything to do with the IMMA. I reckon the grounds took quite a beating with all the weather this year and the folks at the museum aren't happy with the condition of their garden.

I hope it stays were it is, I went Saturday & Sunday this year and thought it was great.
Advertisement
17-06-2012, 01:23   #505
PeterTwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lc180 View Post
I always thought one of the main selling points of Forbidden Fruit was that it was a city centre music festival with no need for camping!

I wonder if this decision to look somewhere else had anything to do with the IMMA. I reckon the grounds took quite a beating with all the weather this year and the folks at the museum aren't happy with the condition of their garden.

I hope it stays were it is, I went Saturday & Sunday this year and thought it was great.
I assume they mean that they'll be expanding to a 3 venue festival, like Primevera did in Porto. Sounds like a great idea to me!
17-06-2012, 01:42   #506
lc180

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTwo View Post
I assume they mean that they'll be expanding to a 3 venue festival, like Primevera did in Porto. Sounds like a great idea to me!
Never thought of it like that, that would be kinda cool actually! Either way I'm looking forward to next year.
17-06-2012, 08:58   #507
lordgoat

Quote:
Difference being is that Prima did it in 2 different countries, in cities that have bigger populations that our country (give or take)

It's a massive risk. I think the music act will have to be totally different to ensure enough people go to each location and make it feasible to run.

I'd rather have kept it in one location and ensured the high calibre of act that they have set. Move the location each year if they like but having more than one is a big big risk imo
(2) thanks from:
18-06-2012, 09:54   #508
run_Forrest_run

Quote:
Originally Posted by sporina View Post
cork for 2013 i believe
that would be brilliant...anything to take from the utter shít that's happening in the Marquee
18-06-2012, 10:37   #509
ghostdancer

seriously can't see them moving it tbh.

can't even get it sold out in Dublin, not a hope of getting it sold out with a similar set up anywhere else.
to cover their costs somewhere else they'd need to scale back considerably or increase ticket prices and hope people still buy them.
if they have it in Dublin and also a 2nd site, then they'll be splitting the crowds too much, and that's before you get into the bands and their availability considering lots of the FF ones are at Primavera/Field Day that weekend already...

like it or not, there isn't a big enough music scene/population density in any other city to support something like FF. they'd have to make pretty serious changes to make it work somewhere else, and I don't see that happening.
(3) thanks from:
18-06-2012, 11:38   #510
JJ

Quote:
That's what I thought too, it'd also be a bit like Reading/Leeds. If the acts are already here in Ireland, they can just jet down to Cork for a second gig. I reckon they might be able to pull off two locations if it was Dublin/Cork but not anywhere else.

Last edited by JJ; 18-06-2012 at 11:40.
Thread Closed