Repairable Dripping Atomiser (RDA) - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

31-05-2012, 18:48   #1
Bubba9

Repairable Dripping Atomiser (RDA)

The homepage of the guy who makes the RDA with all the information you need about it:

http://clockworks-cornwall.co.uk/

How to replace and make a new coil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAzcF...layer_embedded

http://ukvapers.com/topic/9253-clock...itting-a-wick/

I tried a thin strip of foam between the posts and it works grand. I've put up to 30 drops at a time so far with no flooding. I'll keep increasing the amount to see how much I can get in there before liquid starts to leak out.

Last edited by Bubba9; 31-05-2012 at 22:03.
(4) thanks from:
Advertisement
31-05-2012, 19:01   #2
Green Hornet

Is there any effect on flavour after putting the foam in? Probably more likely to flood the coil rather than leaking?
31-05-2012, 19:20   #3
derra

Send a message via MSN to derra
Just a small suggestion for this thread.
It's ok for those of us that know what it is but for anyone else coming onto the forum they won't have a clue what we are talking about.

At least post an introduction to the RDA.
What is it?
Where do you buy one & cost?
How do you repair?
Materials.
Pics.
Videos.

Mewso would probably edit the first post if someone wrote something up and sent it to him.
(2) thanks from:
31-05-2012, 20:06   #4
Bubba9

The homepage of the guy who makes the RDA with all the information you need about it:

http://clockworks-cornwall.co.uk/

How to replace and make a new coil:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAzcF...layer_embedded

http://ukvapers.com/topic/9253-clock...itting-a-wick/
31-05-2012, 20:08   #5
Bubba9

Quote:
Originally Posted by derra View Post
Just a small suggestion for this thread.
It's ok for those of us that know what it is but for anyone else coming onto the forum they won't have a clue what we are talking about.

At least post an introduction to the RDA.
What is it?
Where do you buy one & cost?
How do you repair?
Materials.
Pics.
Videos.

Mewso would probably edit the first post if someone wrote something up and sent it to him.
I posted a few links but I'm useless with text...maybe someone else would like to try
Advertisement
31-05-2012, 20:14   #6
Bubba9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Hornet View Post
Is there any effect on flavour after putting the foam in? Probably more likely to flood the coil rather than leaking?
I'd say the flavour is better if anything. I used a piece of blue foam about the same height as the posts and the width of the distance between them and held it in place while putting the cover on. If you have any old cartridges lying about you could cut a strip of the filling or if you're near a pet store I think you can use the fluval that's used in aquariums. You can get the blue foam from Paradise Vape or Cloud 9 (that I know of) and it's very cheap and a rinse under the tap and dry with kitchen paper and it's good to go again.
31-05-2012, 20:21   #7
Bubba9

Got some wire from this guy today. Haven't tried it yet but his prices seem fairly good:

http://stores.ebay.ie/bestwireshop
31-05-2012, 20:47   #8
derra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba9 View Post
I posted a few links but I'm useless with text...maybe someone else would like to try
Just copy & paste those links into the first post maybe, ya can't edit after a day or so which means a moderator would have to do it.
31-05-2012, 20:57   #9
derra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba9 View Post
Got some wire from this guy today. Haven't tried it yet but his prices seem fairly good:

http://stores.ebay.ie/bestwireshop
I do buy my .20 wire from him.

It's not wrapped around in a spool so ya have to be careful when taking a piece off it.

or

wires.co.uk has a lifetime supply available in a spool.

125g 0.2mm Nickel Chrome Wire

Ref: NC0200-125

Price: £13.05 (~€16.31) (Excluding VAT at 20%)

0.200mm 36 SWG Bare Nickel Chrome Wire (also known as Nichrome Wire / Hot Wire Cutter / Foam Cutter / Heater Wire / Element Wire)

Data: approx 34.4 ohms per metre, 125 gram = approx 478 metres
Advertisement
31-05-2012, 21:25   #10
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
im getting very conused by my RDAs atm

i have the 2.5ohm coils, they are vaping great at higher voltages.. but I have to push them to 5.7-5.8v to get a decent vape out of them

the voltage under load is 5.7V on the throathit readout and with the multimeter says 5.5 but i've pushed 3 ohm boge cartomisers at 5.5v before and this is nothing like that.. it's almost like a boge carto at 4.5-4.6V.

im still getting a great vape it's just confusing me how I can be pushing a 2.5ohm coil at this voltage and not tearing the throat off myself... maybe the wick is so thick that the coil is just constantly being saturated so even though the voltage is that high it is having trouble heating up?
31-05-2012, 21:48   #11
derra

Have mine on a normal eGo battery at the moment which is 3.3v and 1.7 coil and i'm getting a very decent vape out of that using 6mg juice.

Getting a very smooth draw, the TH hits me a bit harsh which is the bit i don't like about it, decent amount of vapour.

Gonna do another one now with .15 Nichrome, 5 turns which should get me around the 2.4 Ohm mark.

Can't imagine i be hitting it at 5.7 v tbh.
31-05-2012, 21:56   #12
newmark

Aaaaaagh....I'm reading all yer chat about coils and wicks and ohms and voltages and so on and I have nothing to make one for and would really like to.

The postman better bring the RTA tomorrow or I am going to have a terribly long non coil and wick making weekend! Sorry for butting in I just had to get that off my chest
Thanks from:
31-05-2012, 21:57   #13
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
Banned

yeah, it should be around 12 watts but.. no way is this 12 watts

like.. the vape im getting at 5.7 is roundabout the vape I want, but i should be getting it around 4-7-5v, the fact that I have to push it so high is real strange
31-05-2012, 21:58   #14
Sir Digby Chicken Caesar
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmark View Post
Aaaaaagh....I'm reading all yer chat about coils and wicks and ohms and voltages and so on and I have nothing to make one for and would really like to.

The postman better bring the RTA tomorrow or I am going to have a terribly long non coil and wick making weekend! Sorry for butting in I just had to get that off my chest
you're gona be fiddling with mesh wicks, whole other world of pain
Thanks from:
31-05-2012, 22:10   #15
Green Hornet

It's kind of addictive. Trying small differences in resistance, longer or shorter wicks, different wick materials, different wire and on and on and on..........and only costs cents!!

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion