Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

FAO the few dozen people to whom I emailed my HPAT material:

I'd really appreciate if you could drop me an email to let me know how you got on, and most importantly to me, whether you felt any of the practice was of any use to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 JamieKF

browniess wrote: »
    hollingr,
    your posts have given me a lot of reason to be optimistic...
    still believe i'm going to miss out by 1 or 2 points (or more).

I just wanted to point out that there was an 8 point increase between 2009 and 2010, even though there was hardly any fluctuation in hpat percentiles (from what i read, i could be wrong), similar to this year, and of course without the added maths bonus points. it could have been due to the number of applicants.

NUIG 2009: 712
    NUIG 2010: 719*
    (the cao site is closed at the moment for me to confirm this, but i think that's right)

I guess it all comes down to this years leaving-certers, which doesn't fill me with hope either seeing there will be points/ grade inflation in maths this year. well, no point speculating I guess. mildly hopeful

No, it was 713 first round I believe in 2009 and then it fell to 712 in subsequent rounds. So it's not really accurate to say it was an eight point increase.Also there are more places in NUIG since last year where they increased their intake by 20%.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 browniess

thanks for the clarification guys.
    that's slightly more reassuring. good luck to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 j3nnif3r

I don't want to do anything else :'(

I know EXACTLY how you feel.. :( Actually want to crawl into a hole and die... :(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 DoireannCR

does anyone know what the reduced points are for any of the med schools in ireland through DARE? Hpat was a mess.. would 708 have any hope?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tahina

DoireannCR wrote: »
    does anyone know what the reduced points are for any of the med schools in ireland through DARE? Hpat was a mess.. would 708 have any hope?

For NUI galway you might stand a chance =]

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Derick990

In a similar position to Doireann, does anyone think I have a shot with 716 through the HEAR?

Derick990 wrote: »
    In a similar position to Doireann, does anyone think I have a shot with 716 through the HEAR?

Ya i think your in with a shot for NUIG. Say if a hear applicant gets 735 and nuig is 730 they will give the course as a main stream student and they wont go in as a hear student. So roughly 30 points under the cut off points your in with a chance good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Derick990

tahina wrote: »
    Derick990 wrote: »

Ya i think your in with a shot for NUIG. Say if a hear applicant gets 735 and nuig is 730 they will give the course as a main stream student and they wont go in as a hear student. So roughly 30 points under the cut off points your in with a chance good luck
    Hey thanks very much, thats reassuring to hear. I'm happy enough with having an outside shot. Thanks again and good luck to everybody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Wait. I've applied for Hear, is there anything to actually back up those scores?

30 points seems awfully far off to me.

• Advertisement

Wait. I've applied for Hear, is there anything to actually back up those scores?

30 points seems awfully far off to me.

From the info i gathered from the different uni's there is 5% of places kept for hear 5% for dare they give up to a 15% reduction in points but as med is so compeditive she said that 30-35 points under you stand a chance for both schemes i hope this helps guys =]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

From the info i gathered from the different uni's there is 5% of places kept for hear 5% for dare they give up to a 15% reduction in points but as med is so compeditive she said that 30-35 points under you stand a chance for both schemes i hope this helps guys =]

It's still competition though, and there is a lot of med applicants.

Also that 5% is an average, places are college discretion. I think NUIG takes in the most first years each year, 120ish, and they said at the open day they have 4 places per year for Hear.

30-35 points might not seem like a lot, but in terms of hpat scores 35 points could be 1,000 people.

It's still competition though, and there is a lot of med applicants.

Also that 5% is an average, places are college discretion. I think NUIG takes in the most first years each year, 120ish, and they said at the open day they have 4 places per year for Hear.

30-35 points might not seem like a lot, but in terms of hpat scores 35 points could be 1,000 people.

This is very true, the lady in NUIG said there was no places last year for dare the lady that worked there in 2010 said there were places for med under dare then i called afew weeks ago and the new lady changed her story and said there was one place for dare so confusing =S im only telling ye what ive learnt from reseach =]

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

hey can any one explain to me how you move courses in college? a friend of mine said that its easier to get into a medicine course if you are already in the college that offers it. Just rejigging my cao at the mo and was wondering if it was worth putting down all trinity courses next year so that when i repeat the hpat i might stand a beetyer chanced of getting medicine there...

• Registered Users Posts: 17 ralphding23

Hey guys, I'm from the UK and after receiving my hpat I'm not sure where I stand. It gives me a total score of 748( I've already got my results). Is this good enough to secure a place is one of the colleges? Trinity would be my first choice but would be happy with any.

Cheers guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

Hey guys, I'm from the UK and after receiving my hpat I'm not sure where I stand. It gives me a total score of 748( I've already got my results). Is this good enough to secure a place is one of the colleges? Trinity would be my first choice but would be happy with any.

Cheers guys.

First congrats on the score:D

You have enough for medicine over here. More than likely you will have enough for Trinity this year:)

That's great news! Thanks Scarlett Scout! The system over there is very different to the one we have here. I've heard that points rise each year so it's difficult to say for certain if you'll get a place. Have you applied?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

So, here's how the points have changed over the years since the hpat came into the furuore:

College......2009....2010......2011
    Cork..........715...10...725...8....733*
    UCD..........719....6...725...10...735
    galwy........712*..5...719....9...728*
    RCSI.........715*..6...721...11...732
    Trinity.......724*..7...731*..8...739*

All of the large points jumps corresponded to noticeable increases in the hpat points. This year the hpat results are by and large the same, or down slightly.

A 20 point increase just isn't going to happen. Sure, it's hard to predict what exactly the leaving cert points will be like this year, but the bell curve means it will be negligible overall.

As for the bonus points for honours maths, the vast majority of the people getting into medicine get over 550 anyways, so 5 points is as much as can be gained in those cases, but more likely is 1-3 points extra since very few people will be getting A1's.

For people in the 525+ range getting bumped up to 550, there are going to be very few who are actually hpat competitive.

The biggest points jump so far was 11 points (see above - small writing is the change in points), and that was when there was a big jump in hpat results... Use your heads people!! If you can get enough points to get into medicine, I'm sure you can deduce that 20 points clear of the cut off last year is definitely going to be enough to get in somewhere this year.

Hey hollingr, I was under the impression that I compete with other a-level applicants as opposed to leaving cert ones as the colleges offer places proportionally to the number of eligible candidates. Do you know if this is true?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Dublad93

hollingr wrote: »
    So, here's how the points have changed over the years since the hpat came into the furuore:

All of the large points jumps corresponded to noticeable increases in the hpat points. This year the hpat results are by and large the same, or down slightly.

A 20 point increase just isn't going to happen. Sure, it's hard to predict what exactly the leaving cert points will be like this year, but the bell curve means it will be negligible overall.

As for the bonus points for honours maths, the vast majority of the people getting into medicine get over 550 anyways, so 5 points is as much as can be gained in those cases, but more likely is 1-3 points extra since very few people will be getting A1's.

For people in the 525+ range getting bumped up to 550, there are going to be very few who are actually hpat competitive.

The biggest points jump so far was 11 points (see above - small writing is the change in points), and that was when there was a big jump in hpat results... Use your heads people!! If you can get enough points to get into medicine, I'm sure you can deduce that 20 points clear of the cut off last year is definitely going to be enough to get in somewhere this year.
    " For people in the 525+ range getting bumped up to 550, there are going to be very few who are actually hpat competitive."...that really isn't true to be honest with you, there is no real correlation between a really high lc score and a really high hpat score. People who get in the 525-550 range would be getting in and around the same as the people who get 625.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

Dublad93 wrote: »

" For people in the 525+ range getting bumped up to 550, there are going to be very few who are actually hpat competitive."...that really isn't true to be honest with you, there is no real correlation between a really high lc score and a really high hpat score. People who get in the 525-550 range would be getting in and around the same as the people who get 625.

Yeah people with a hpat score of 177(70something percentile) and 625 points end up on 742, which is the same as a hpat of 192(92nd percentile) and 550 points.. Although I think with my score of 192 and 20 point increase anywhere I would need 580.. I really can't see 20/25 points though more likely a maximum of 10?

I never said 625 pointers are getting higher hpats than 520 pointers.

I was looking more from the perspective that to get 90th percentile = 10% of people going for medicine. 3000~ odd hpatters a year = approx 300 people with 90th percentile.

those 300 people are going to be from a very diverse mix of leaving certs, and the number of them with A1's in maths and 520-550 points in l.c pre bonus points has to be a small number, the odds are just against it.
    5% get A1's roughly..

P(90th percentile)*P(A1maths)*P(525-540 l.c) = small number! :p

Hey hollingr, I was under the impression that I compete with other a-level applicants as opposed to leaving cert ones as the colleges offer places proportionally to the number of eligible candidates. Do you know if this is true?

sorry, I can't really help you there mate! Best of luck though maybe email the cao and ask them?

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭spasmaster

Anyone know if you accept your second choice offer and the points go down enough for the first choice offer in round 2 can you accept the first choice?

spasmaster wrote: »
    Anyone know if you accept your second choice offer and the points go down enough for the first choice offer in round 2 can you accept the first choice?

Yep I think you can

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

People were saying that you can longer repeat the HPAT without doing repeating the LC as well.. ? Is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Scarlett Scout

spasmaster wrote: »

Yep you defo can (page 23 of the CAO handbook):)

I never said 625 pointers are getting higher hpats than 520 pointers.

I was looking more from the perspective that to get 90th percentile = 10% of people going for medicine. 3000~ odd hpatters a year = approx 300 people with 90th percentile.

those 300 people are going to be from a very diverse mix of leaving certs, and the number of them with A1's in maths and 520-550 points in l.c pre bonus points has to be a small number, the odds are just against it.
    5% get A1's roughly..

P(90th percentile)*P(A1maths)*P(525-540 l.c) = small number! :p

It's not really about A1 in maths it's all about B3/2 cos that's 100/105 points now.. Cos you're going to count something you get 100 or 105 in cos you can't get 105 in anything else..?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Helloxoxo wrote: »
    It's not really about A1 in maths it's all about B3/2 cos that's 100/105 points now.. Cos you're going to count something you get 100 or 105 in cos you can't get 105 in anything else..?

Yes, but then 105 points is only going to add 5 points extra (if you were getting all A1s besides) which only corresponds to 1 point in the combined LC/HPAT score.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

People were saying that you can longer repeat the HPAT without doing repeating the LC as well.. ? Is this true?

Someone please elaborate on this!!!!

Advertisement