Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*Everything HPAT and Medicine 2012*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

. I googled but found nothing, but these girls were quite convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭NoHarm1994

That would be a disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭skinny malinky

I sat the hpat this year without sitting the LC.

Yeah but I think he/she is talking about next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 KildareKing

i dont think they can do that because there was already so many people this year doing the hpat without sitting the lc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 Helloxoxo

i dont think they can do that because there was already so many people this year doing the hpat without sitting the lc

I heard next year is the last year to repeat the hpat without the LC too

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Somalion

Helloxoxo wrote: »
    Do you have any sources on that one? Be a bit ludicrous to force people to redo the LC too. What I've heard is that they're more likely to scrap the HPAT and apparently the extra points for honours maths might be scrapped too (that lasted really long...)

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭hollingr

If they were to do something like that, the only way it would work is to have the leaving cert results and hpat count for one year only. Otherwise people could "repeat" the leaving cert and just sit the exams as a formality and use their previous l.c results to actually get in.

It's only Chinese whispers at this stage. Wait for official statements. There's going to be a lot of rubbish talk from politicians and otherwise in the next while over the medicine system, much ado about nothing until it actually translates into changes... THAT's when you ought to start paying attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭DepoProvera

It would be horribly unfair to us this year though.. Having to compete against them and then not allowed to repeat it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

It would be horribly unfair to us this year though.. Having to compete against them and then not allowed to repeat it?

I wouldn't worry about the speculation guys, put the head down and concentrate on the Leaving Cert for now :) You can cross the other barriers if/when you come to them, for now there's no evidence as to what they'll do next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rosmotron

I only got 155 in the hpat and 465 in my mocks.I seriously want to kill myself.I only want to do medicine. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 rosmotron

j3nnif3r wrote: »
    I don't want to do anything else :'(

I know EXACTLY how you feel.. :( Actually want to crawl into a hole and die... :(:(:(
    I'm the same.I'm so depressed.

rosmotron wrote: »
    I only got 155 in the hpat and 465 in my mocks.I seriously want to kill myself.I only want to do medicine. :(

Firstly, the mocks aren't really an indication, if you're putting in the work now, you can bring that up by any amount if you work consistently from now onwards...its not too late! :)

Secondly, there are so many ways to get into medicine, don't be disheartened. It takes plenty of people another year, or even 2, to get what they want, and its worth it at the end. The best thing you can do right now is to get the best Leaving Cert you possibly can, to give you as many options for next year as possible. Worry about the CAO and all your plans at the end of June when you have time, for now though, forget the HPAT and concentrate on the LC :)

Somalion wrote: »
    Do you have any sources on that one? Be a bit ludicrous to force people to redo the LC too. What I've heard is that they're more likely to scrap the HPAT and apparently the extra points for honours maths might be scrapped too (that lasted really long...)

No afraid I don't have anything official just my career guidance said she heard about it, but there's nothing on the Internet etc! But I can understand why like if you take a year out or take you second choice you can really concentrate on hpat while people in 6th year are stressed about mocks etc!

No afraid I don't have anything official just my career guidance said she heard about it, but there's nothing on the Internet etc! But I can understand why like if you take a year out or take you second choice you can really concentrate on hpat while people in 6th year are stressed about mocks etc!

I can understand as well, BUT it would be ridiculous to do it because it puts people doing the LC this year and looking for Medicine at a horrible disadvantage. We have to compete against people repeating the HPAT and yet we are not allowed repeat it ourselves? It would be an absolute disgrace if they did that, not to mention completely unfair! Although looking at how much of a shambles the system is in general at the moment nothing would surprise me any more....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 browniess

Does anyone know if there is a possibility of getting a paper (maths) rechecked, even though i did my leaving cert last year (2011). I can't seem to find any information on it, which makes me assume it's not possible.

Considering the examinations commission have our exam scripts locked up for 20 years or so, i was just wondering if it's possible. I didn't view my maths script or get a recheck last year as I was expecting worse grade after the maths paper 1 shambles. don't think it'll make any difference, but it would be nice to have the option.

can anyone confirm for me that it's not possible. I'll type out an email to the examinations office and cao and see how it goes...

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kellogskelly

hi i got 530 last year (honors maths was one of them) which brings me up to 555, ie 551 med points! However, someone was telling me that their understanding of the bonus maths points is that when applying for med you can only add 5 points irregardless of whether or not you are above 550. This is the first time i've heard this... could anyone shed abit of light on it for me? Thanks :)

hi i got 530 last year (honors maths was one of them) which brings me up to 555, ie 551 med points! However, someone was telling me that their understanding of the bonus maths points is that when applying for med you can only add 5 points irregardless of whether or not you are above 550. This is the first time i've heard this... could anyone shed abit of light on it for me? Thanks :)

If you are at 555, you're right in saying that that's 551. Make sure you're adding on the bonus points correctly, it seems like you're doing it right (was maths one of your top 6 before the bonus?) but just be aware that you don't just throw 25 on top of your score, it could add anything from 5-25 on.

I'd say what they meant was that the previous highest LC score for medicine was 560, and now its 560+5=565, not 560+25=585?

That person is wrong, you have it right.

- You add 25 points to your maths score if it is one of your 6 best.

- so, with bonus points:
    A1 =125
    b1 = 100
    c1 = 95

- For medicine, once you are over 550 each 5 marks counts as one.

- If you are under 550 and going for medicine, you can make use of the full 25 marks i.e. I got 520 so now have 545.

- If you got 530, you would get 551, just as you thought :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 kellogskelly

If you are at 555, you're right in saying that that's 551. Make sure you're adding on the bonus points correctly, it seems like you're doing it right (was maths one of your top 6 before the bonus?) but just be aware that you don't just throw 25 on top of your score, it could add anything from 5-25 on.

I'd say what they meant was that the previous highest LC score for medicine was 560, and now its 560+5=565, not 560+25=585?
    hollingr wrote: »
    That person is wrong, you have it right.

- You add 25 points to your maths score if it is one of your 6 best.

- so, with bonus points:
    A1 =125
    b1 = 100
    c1 = 95

- For medicine, once you are over 550 each 5 marks counts as one.

- If you are under 550 and going for medicine, you can make use of the full 25 marks i.e. I got 520 so now have 545.

- If you got 530, you would get 551, just as you thought :)
    Thanks a million for that guys! :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 24 ismisekatie

hi, everyone says girls do worse than boys in the third section of hpat.... does anybody know how significant that difference is? like by how much on average do girls score less? thanks :)

hi, everyone says girls do worse than boys in the third section of hpat.... does anybody know how significant that difference is? like by how much on average do girls score less? thanks :)

I don't think anyone would be able to tell this...only ACER, and the only statistics they release are the graphs which only give the total scores.

Also I'm not sure how right it is to make that assumption, I've seen plenty of girls posting who've done very well in section 3 ;)

I don't think anyone would be able to tell this...only ACER, and the only statistics they release are the graphs which only give the total scores.

Also I'm not sure how right it is to make that assumption, I've seen plenty of girls posting who've done very well in section 3 ;)

I think it's just in general like the way girls do better at section 2! I did a lot better in section 3 than 2 and I'm a girl so there's exceptions to every assumption!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭waiting4

hey can any one explain to me how you move courses in college? a friend of mine said that its easier to get into a medicine course if you are already in the college that offers it. Just rejigging my cao at the mo and was wondering if it was worth putting down all trinity courses next year so that when i repeat the hpat i might stand a beetyer chanced of getting medicine there...

I think it's just in general like the way girls do better at section 2!

Is there evidence to back these up or are they just generalisations? :P

waiting4 wrote: »
    hey can any one explain to me how you move courses in college? a friend of mine said that its easier to get into a medicine course if you are already in the college that offers it. Just rejigging my cao at the mo and was wondering if it was worth putting down all trinity courses next year so that when i repeat the hpat i might stand a beetyer chanced of getting medicine there...

If you are in college doing something else, and you resit the HPAT, reapply through the CAO, and have enough points for the college you want, you will get it, it doesn't matter where you are. There is no "moving" into medicine from a course in the same college - you must have the combined LC/HPAT points to get in through the CAO, the same as everyone else.

What he may have been thinking about is that if you move from a course into first med (skipping premed), your original course may be counted as premed in that you wouldn't have to pay fees for "repeating" first year. It means that instead of being seen as starting again, and therefore being eligible to pay fees, you will just be seen as going into 2nd year of a different course. Your friend may have thought that it only works this way if you stay in the same college but most of the people that I know who have done this have come from other colleges. Its all at the discretion of the individual colleges though.

I think it's just in general like the way girls do better at section 2!

Is there evidence to back these up or are they just generalisations? :P

Just generalisations I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 tweetybird4848

Hi I am a repeat hpat candidate and am now sitting on an overall score of 748. I am literally diving myself insane going over the possibilities of how the points will increase! I would be delighted with Galway but is there any way that there could be a 20 point jump this year for Galway?

All the people that I have been talking to have done exceptionally well in the hpat With most being in the 90+ percentile, are the percentiles accurate or is there any way that more people are in the upper percentiles then it seems?

Finally I was wondering how many people going for medicine have honours Maths/ have done well enough in honours Maths to be eligible to count the 25 extra points!

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 country beat

If you are in college doing something else, and you resit the HPAT, reapply through the CAO, and have enough points for the college you want, you will get it, it doesn't matter where you are. There is no "moving" into medicine from a course in the same college - you must have the combined LC/HPAT points to get in through the CAO, the same as everyone else.

What he may have been thinking about is that if you move from a course into first med (skipping premed), your original course may be counted as premed in that you wouldn't have to pay fees for "repeating" first year. It means that instead of being seen as starting again, and therefore being eligible to pay fees, you will just be seen as going into 2nd year of a different course. Your friend may have thought that it only works this way if you stay in the same college but most of the people that I know who have done this have come from other colleges. Its all at the discretion of the individual colleges though.
    Would Trinity accept a year in Pharmacy as Pre-med, seeing as they only do a 5 year Med course and don't have a Pre-med year

• Advertisement

I think it's just in general like the way girls do better at section 2! I did a lot better in section 3 than 2 and I'm a girl so there's exceptions to every assumption!

If a particular question shows any gender bias, it isn't counted towards the results. So, you would think overall the gender bias is quite small because of this..

Advertisement