Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

85MB home plugs (twin pack)

Options

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

Don't even know what they do but you'll be charged an extra £7.50 P&P AFAIK.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Besides the concerns about how well it might work ...... the speed of those at Up To 85Mb/s is just too slow for media distribution in HD ..... look to the Up To 200Mb/s devices .... a better chance of success with those I would reckon .....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

How do you get them delivered to Ireland. I tried to register on that site for the 200Meg version of those but it will only accept UK address.

Anyone with a workaround ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Damien360 wrote: »
    How do you get them delivered to Ireland. I tried to register on that site for the 200Meg version of those but it will only accept UK address.

Anyone with a workaround ?

google checkout works, you can use REP 123 as post code

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭NewHillel

Besides the concerns about how well it might work ...... the speed of those at Up To 85Mb/s is just too slow for media distribution in HD ..... look to the Up To 200Mb/s devices .... a better chance of success with those I would reckon .....

Not really, these should work grand - in most cases the speed the offer is equal, or above the broadband speed. A typical HD channel will be around 10Mb/s so this will carry two, or three, with ease. Well worth a punt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Considering I can stream 720p on a 54mbps wireless with good signal quality, I think you're statement is incredibly incorrect.

However, 1080p is a different story.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭lensman

Davy wrote: »
    I use ebuyers own checkout with REP 123 as post code,..just fill in t
    he full address as normal with your Dublin 8 or whatever post code you are & near the end enter REP 123, this is what they print on the address labels when I place an order with them.
    Shipping Address:
    Paul H******
    5, ******** ********** *********
    Dublin 7
    DUBLIN 7
    UK REP 123

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

Davy wrote: »

When registering, without spaces will only work - REP123

• Registered Users Posts: 33 chepejohn

Good price but spend that extra few yoyo and get yourself some 200 Mbps homeplugs they will cover all your needs Xbox/Streaming/Dreambox/Azbox whatever your needs

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Vertakill wrote: »
    Considering I can stream 720p on a 54mbps wireless with good signal quality, I think you're statement is incredibly incorrect.

However, 1080p is a different story.

I accept that my statement "is just too slow" is too definite. Thus not necessarily correct.
    I was considering at the time, that such devices have not been capable of continuous throughput at their rated speed. IIRC one could expect some 60% of rated speed in practice. This of course may have changed in later years.

Such a LAN, which gets maximised from delivering video, is likely to interfere with other uses such as someone accessing internet content across the LAN. Headroom is vital in such situations, but of course they may not arise for some users.

RAW video, which almost no one uses in such situations, does show though, how heavy a load video can put on throughput. Here are some figures from Cisco .......
    Format		Resolution 		      Bitrate 	Storage
    QCIF 		176 x 144 @ 15 fps 		9 Mbps 	68 MB/min
    CIF 		352 x 288 @ 30 fps 		73 Mbps 	548 MB/min
    NTSC 		720 x 480 @ 30 fps 		249 Mbps 	1.9 GB/min
    HDTV 	1920 x 1080 @ 30 fps 	1.5 Gbps 	1.1 TB/min

... and yes I do not consider 720p to be HD ;)

Hopefully that is a better explanation of what I meant.
    So, I would still consider the 200Mb/s product to be the much better option, unless a 'quick fix' is required.

regards.

• Advertisement

I accept that my statement "is just too slow" is too definite. Thus not necessarily correct.
    I was considering at the time, that such devices have not been capable of continuous throughput at their rated speed. IIRC one could expect some 60% of rated speed in practice. This of course may have changed in later years.

Such a LAN, which gets maximised from delivering video, is likely to interfere with other uses such as someone accessing internet content across the LAN. Headroom is vital in such situations, but of course they may not arise for some users.

RAW video, which almost no one uses in such situations, does show though, how heavy a load video can put on throughput. Here are some figures from Cisco .......

Format        Resolution               Bitrate     Storage
    QCIF         176 x 144 @ 15 fps         9 Mbps     68 MB/min
    CIF         352 x 288 @ 30 fps         73 Mbps     548 MB/min
    NTSC         720 x 480 @ 30 fps         249 Mbps     1.9 GB/min
    HDTV     1920 x 1080 @ 30 fps     1.5 Gbps     1.1 TB/min

... and yes I do not consider 720p to be HD ;)

Hopefully that is a better explanation of what I meant.
    So, I would still consider the 200Mb/s product to be the much better option, unless a 'quick fix' is required.

regards.

\o/
    nice one johnboy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭Badgermonkey

lensman wrote: »
    I use ebuyers own checkout with REP 123 as post code,..just fill in t
    he full address as normal with your Dublin 8 or whatever post code you are & near the end enter REP 123, this is what they print on the address labels when I place an order with them.
    Shipping Address:
    Paul H******
    5, ******** ********** *********
    Dublin 7
    DUBLIN 7
    UK REP 123

I'm by no means a mad republican or chip on the shoulder nationalist but that sort of thing annoys me.

I use google checkout on ebuyer as their own system is cumbersome to set up your address and I don't live in the UK.

On reflection, strike the above, given our failure of governance since 1922 if we apologise for the messy breakup do you think they'll take us back?

given our failure of governance since 1922

and that was some bargin alert for certain in individuals,,:rolleyes:

and im sorry for being off topic ...so back to bargin alerts then

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Was going to buy a Media Player that can stream through a LAN from my PC. Will these work for that job, or are they only any good for connecting to a modem or router? I presume they will, but I don't want to buy them and then find out the LAN port on the PC to Media Player is not workable

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Vertakill wrote: »
    it might be if you could get anything like 85mbps out of an 85mbps homeplug but you can't, so it's not. :)

to be able to comfortably stream 720p video you will want a sustained transfer speed of 20mbps. you *might* get that over wireless if you're lucky, but if you're using 85mbps homeplugs you won't get anything near that unless you're in the same room and moving between rooms or even different electrical circuits you're going to be in trouble as you likely won't get any more than 10mbps out of them unless you have very good internal wiring in your house and very little interference.

i bought a pair of 85mbps homeplugs a while ago to stream from my nas upstairs to my tv downstairs as i was not able to get enough bandwidth wirelessly (due to too many neighbours crowding the bandwidth), but they worked out considerably worse than wireless due to several factors in my house. the best speed I ever got out of them was 6mbps, but it was going from between 2-4mbps most of the time.

i think my biggest problem was just poor quality wiring in the house, but i took a big hit on speed as it was crossing a circuit going from downstairs to upstairs (i.e. the downstairs and upstairs plug sockets are on different fuses) AND i have CFL "energy saver" bulbs throughout the house which are also known to cause a lot of interference.

a best case scenario for 200mbps homeplugs is a sustained transfer rate of 60mbps+ with it unlikely to be any faster than that unless you are very lucky.

i could be tempted to get the 200mbps ones now at the price ebuyer have them:: http://www.ebuyer.com/product/160665 for another room in the house with no wired access to use with XBMC, but i ended up running a cable outside the house and along the guttering from my router to a switch upstairs in the end so i have gigabit between the HTPC and my NAS now so there's no need there any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭Barr

Would I be right in thinking that 85mbps would be sufficient as it is unlikely to even come close to that speed under normal operating conditions ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,399 ✭✭✭Damien360

Just got the 200Mbps version delivered today. 35 sterling plus 10 shipping to Ireland. Used google checkout to get them. They are working nicely and I would recommend them to anyone. My prime reason is for xbox360 and PS3 online. Worked straight out of the box. Have'nt bothered with streaming as I have an external 500Gb drive to hold my movies.

Barr wrote: »
    Would I be right in thinking that 85mbps would be sufficient as it is unlikely to even come close to that speed under normal operating conditions ?
    sufficient for what? assuming you don't use a lot of CFL bulbs or plan on crossing to a different electrical circuit (see my previous post) you'll *probably* get up to around 10-15mbps sustained transfer out of 85mbps homeplugs so if that's more than you need then yes, they would be sufficient. anything more than that and you'll need 200mbps homeplugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dexterm99

I have two Speedplug 85mbps and was wondering if these are compatible with them?

Dexterm99 wrote: »
    I have two Speedplug 85mbps and was wondering if these are compatible with them?
    you'd have to check what models you have and then visit the websites for the manufacturers as not all homeplug type devices are compatible with each other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭pissed

I am using a pair of the BT Comtrend 200mb ones and they work fine. Was looking to add another one or possibly two anyone know which other models are compatible with them?

pissed wrote: »
    I am using a pair of the BT Comtrend 200mb ones and they work fine. Was looking to add another one or possibly two anyone know which other models are compatible with them?
    yep.
    vibe666 wrote: »
    you'd have to check what models you have and then visit the websites for the manufacturers as not all homeplug type devices are compatible with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,792 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I got 4 of the 200mb value ones (came to about €96 all-in) and they are working great - have the pc upstairs, the router downstairs and 2 WDTV lives all working perfectly through them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

This are available again today from ebuyer for £24.98 + shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

Was going to buy a Media Player that can stream through a LAN from my PC. Will these work for that job, or are they only any good for connecting to a modem or router? I presume they will, but I don't want to buy them and then find out the LAN port on the PC to Media Player is not workable

I have them and use them for video from a nas to two media servers. (have four of these exact ones)
    They work fine for reading mkvs,avis and vob files over the network.

Only drawback with them is the size - as when they are plugged in they make it hard to plug things into an adjacent socket.
    An regular double adapter gets around this.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

How does one get around the ''not a valid postcode'' issue?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Superfin wrote: »
    How does one get around the ''not a valid postcode'' issue?

Search this thread..

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭Superfin

Search this thread..

Doh!

Ordered, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

the best site I found was www faculty-x.net. Great range & you can ask them a question. They will come back to you next day. Got a pair of 85mbs for £25 last October and am very happy with them. Hav internet in all rooms now and I have to say this method of distribution is much better than wireless.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,859 ✭✭✭bmaxi

Are these homeplugs interchangeable, i.e. will any brand 85mbps work with any other brand 85mbps?

Advertisement