Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Ya, you can do them in seperate years.

Also, I see that the hpat site has put up the date of next years test - 25th of February.

Doesn't say anything about changes to the paper either :) 95 euro this year centres are Cork, Dublin, Galway, Sligo and Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I doubt the paper will be changed in 2012. They want more data.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cathal1992

Yeah , I guess I should do the Hpat again if my results are good enough ! I've heard nothing but good remarks about the med entry course so I'll probs do that one . If I start doing it religiously from September until Feb then surely it will pay off !

Says it all about the HPAT though when the top consultants in the country attempted the exam they did horrific.. Only the junior house doctors did well as far as I remember

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Cathal1992 wrote: »
    Yeah , I guess I should do the Hpat again if my results are good enough ! I've heard nothing but good remarks about the med entry course so I'll probs do that one . If I start doing it religiously from September until Feb then surely it will pay off !

Says it all about the HPAT though when the top consultants in the country attempted the exam they did horrific.. Only the junior house doctors did well as far as I remember

If you read the actual paper they all did PART of an hpat and not a whole paper and no-one(other than acer) knows exactly how they are marked so you can't compare like with like.
    With 7 other consultants I have done booklet 1 under full exam conditions and got 193 correct but what that means in hpat terms no-one knows!!-and I don't claim to be one of the top consultants in the country!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cathal1992

Ah, apologies I didn't hear the full extent of the report, I only heard a snippet at breakfast and what I patched together from what my parents heard. I know a lot of friends parents though who are working in the Mater etc. find it tough. You also hear stories of people who did terrible in the Hpat but are great in their medicine course, but I dunno. Its not for everyone. it would be interesting to see what the stastics of these years of the "trial run" show

I just hate that exam for the simple fact that you come out feeling that "Hey that went well" and then you get the results and it's a different story.

• Advertisement

Cathal1992 wrote: »
    I got 163 in this years Hpat. Got 141 last year. Im happy I went up , but highly doubtful Ill get in as I need about 570+ in my LC and depending on points fluctuation.
    Id say Im just gonna hope I get into Biomedical Science in UCD and go the graduate way , dedicate myself to doing the GAMSAT every year for 4 years and take it from there. Expensive and draining I know but you only have one life might as well have no regrets !

Although If my points are pretty good then I could just go into Uni and do the Hpat again next year. Anyone have any advice if whether its worth it?
    Im not going to give up on my dream career so easily. Results won't hold me back I'm determined to get Med !

"Although If my points are pretty good then I could just go into Uni and do the Hpat again next year"

Yes you can but be careful about fees. Often it is regarded as you starting a new course even in same University and that means you will have to pay the fees for the first year of medicine-could be up to €7,000 but you need to check!! This is because if you start any new course then you have to pay the first year of this.Plus I dont know if you lose entitlement to any grants but maybe some-one else can answer that part??

Worse than I though this is UCD-

DN400 Medicine [See note below re additional costs] 8,862
    DN401 Medicine - Graduate Entry [See note below re additional costs] 13,915
    plus 250 health screen so no change from€9,0000!!!!!!

Worth bearing in mind and worth checking with your prospective University admissions!!

Although on thinking about it further of course 1 years undergraduate fees much less than the graduate medical course but the hope would be you would have earned some money as a graduate by then!!
    [/QUOTE]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 AliBeAlright

Can someone please explain to me how if you do not get enough points for med you can start one course for example pharmacy and then say the following year you can go into medicine skipping premed?? and also what exactly does the GAMSAT consist of?? and finally (sorry for all the questions) if i do have to repeat the leaving cert will i have to sit the project maths paper (ie. do the new maths course in one year) or do i get to sit a paper based on the old maths course? :/

Can someone please explain to me how if you do not get enough points for med you can start one course for example pharmacy and then say the following year you can go into medicine skipping premed?:/

Presume you have good LC results. Then if not so good HPAT you enrol for online m**-****y platinum course preferably with someone else to keep costs down and you repeat HPAT and hope to do much better. If your combined new points total now over threshold for medical course you want you are in. Clearly you wont want to do premed BUT
    1 check that you have correct LC subjects to enter medicine in 1st year -differs from each university but always involves biology and chemistry OR ensure the course you pick covers these subjects in the first year. Biomedical Sciences and Premed in many universities very similar -not sure about pharmacy.
    2.as my post above you are not automatically entitled to free fees as your University may regard as you starting a new course and you must check this and your grant entitlement if it applies.
    ? and also what exactly does the GAMSAT consist of??:/

You really should do search on this as has been covered a lot in many forums but basically you get a 2.1 or better in any degree and do the GAMSAT test to apply for graduate medicine for which you will have to pay.
    and finally (sorry for all the questions) if i do have to repeat the leaving cert will i have to sit the project maths paper (ie. do the new maths course in one year) or do i get to sit a paper based on the old maths course?:/

You only need pass maths to matriculate which is the posh word which means the minimum to get in. However if they are giving extra LC marks for Higher Maths you will have to consider it ? are they???

Can someone please explain to me how if you do not get enough points for med you can start one course for example pharmacy and then say the following year you can go into medicine skipping premed??
    I've heard of this being done, but there's no solid protocol for it - it's at the university's discretion as far as I know.
    and also what exactly does the GAMSAT consist of??
    Click here.
    You also need a 2:1 in any degree to qualify for graduate-entry medicine.
    and finally (sorry for all the questions) if i do have to repeat the leaving cert will i have to sit the project maths paper (ie. do the new maths course in one year) or do i get to sit a paper based on the old maths course? :/
    As far as I know, if you repeat this year will you have to sit the project maths paper. For more info, I'd advise you read this thread.

Best of luck Wednesday! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Nulzy

Just wondering if I decide to repeat the Hpat next year, the points for med will obv sky rocket with the 20 extra points for passing higher level maths..would we be able to get these extra points if we have already sat HL maths? It would be majorly hard to compete with people who get these extra points, and frustrating if we actually have already sat a HL leaving cert paper just not in 2012.
    If we aren't entitled to those points I wonder if there's any point in repeating the hpat this year cos the points for med will go up considerably i assume?

• Advertisement

Nulzy wrote: »
    Just wondering if I decide to repeat the Hpat next year, the points for med will obv sky rocket with the 20 extra points for passing higher level maths..would we be able to get these extra points if we have already sat HL maths? It would be majorly hard to compete with people who get these extra points, and frustrating if we actually have already sat a HL leaving cert paper just not in 2012.
    If we aren't entitled to those points I wonder if there's any point in repeating the hpat this year cos the points for med will go up considerably i assume?
    I emailed the CAO a few months ago asking if the bonus points for HL maths will be added onto points for people who took HL maths in years prior to 2012. This was the reply I got:
    From 2012 the HL Maths bonus scheme will also be
    used when calculating points for sittings of the
    Leaving Certificate taken prior to 2012.

So I take that to mean that the 25 extra points will be added onto your HL maths score from 2011 if you apply for any course in 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭dynamot

Does anyone know if there are electives in Trinity as in UCD? I am looking to get into medicine next year and, while I understand it is at the discretion of the university, completing a chemistry or other science-based module it would strengthen my case for skipping pre-med

dynamot wrote: »
    Does anyone know if there are electives in Trinity as in UCD? I am looking to get into medicine next year and, while I understand it is at the discretion of the university, completing a chemistry or other science-based module it would strengthen my case for skipping pre-med
    Are you TCD already or are you talking about going into TCD...?

Since it's at the discretion of the university, I don't see why they wouldn't take it into account if you've completed a chemistry module while in that year of college. But obviously having chemistry done for the LC would be more straight forward. I'm not sure at all though.

I'd email the universities in question tbh (as in, the ones you want to study medicine in and skip premed - which I assume is what you want to do) and ask - although I'm not sure what kinda response you'll get from them.

jumpguy wrote: »
    Are you TCD already or are you talking about going into TCD...?

Since it's at the discretion of the university, I don't see why they wouldn't take it into account if you've completed a chemistry module while in that year of college. But obviously having chemistry done for the LC would be more straight forward. I'm not sure at all though.

I'd email the universities in question tbh (as in, the ones you want to study medicine in and skip premed - which I assume is what you want to do) and ask - although I'm not sure what kinda response you'll get from them.

I'm going to be starting in Trinity this fall. I only have one science subject (biology) and will most likely miss out on med this year. I'll probably be doing psychology (as i have a 15 point cushion from last years points) and since this is not considered a health science as much as a social science i don't think will go far in exempting me from pre-med. If I did have a biochem/chemistry module, it might tip the balance in my favour.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AliBeAlright viewpost.gif
    Can someone please explain to me how if you do not get enough points for med you can start one course for example pharmacy and then say the following year you can go into medicine skipping premed??

jumpguy wrote: »
    I've heard of this being done, but there's no solid protocol for it - it's at the university's discretion as far as I know.

Don't wish to disagree with moderator but - if you go to college, repeat the HPAT and improve and your new combined score is over the lowest needed for medicine AND you satisfy the matriculation requirements(they do vary so check carefully) it really isn't up to the Universities discretion you are in to do Medicine.

However you are also liable for the first year's fees- see earlier post and over €9,000 in total for UCD for example UNLESS the University recognises your course as equivelant to Pre-Med and this is at their discretion.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

drrkpd wrote: »

Don't wish to disagree with moderator but - if you go to college, repeat the HPAT and improve and your new combined score is over the lowest needed for medicine AND you satisfy the matriculation requirements(they do vary so check carefully) it really isn't up to the Universities discretion you are in to do Medicine.
    You're talking about two different things. :)

One of you is talking about getting a *place* in medicine based on combined HPAT and LC score; the other is talking about the chances of skipping Pre-Med and being allowed directly into First Med (in those colleges which run the Pre-Med / First Med system) assuming that individual has already got their place based on combined HPAT and LC score.

It's a confusion which often crops up on this one.

@dynamot: I'm far from being an expert on this one, but I really doubt that with one science in LC and a year of psychology you would be skipped on. Some of the current med students will probably be able to give you a better guess, though (no-one can give you an absolute answer, really).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

@dynamot: I'm far from being an expert on this one, but I really doubt that with one science in LC and a year of psychology you would be skipped on. Some of the current med students will probably be able to give you a better guess, though (no-one can give you an absolute answer, really).

As a current med student, I'm going to echo this "really doubt". And maybe upgrade it a bit to highly doubt.

No harm in checking though! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Any courses that I know which have allowed students to do this have included the basic sciences in first year...some combination of physics, chemistry and biology, for example, undenominated science, biomed, pharmacy. From the UCD prospectus the first year psychology modules include Social Psychology, Brain & Behaviour, Perception & Cognition etc so I doubt this would qualify to skip premed.

In this case, if you were accepted to medicine, if you didn't get the LC entry requirements for the 5 year course you'd have to do premed and pay for your first year fees.

Any courses that I know which have allowed students to do this have included the basic sciences in first year...some combination of physics, chemistry and biology, for example, undenominated science, biomed, pharmacy. From the UCD prospectus the first year psychology modules include Social Psychology, Brain & Behaviour, Perception & Cognition etc so I doubt this would qualify to skip premed.

In this case, if you were accepted to medicine, if you didn't get the LC entry requirements for the 5 year course you'd have to do premed and pay for your first year fees.

I have no doubt that psychology and my LC alone wouldn't exempt me from pre-med, but my question was whether an elective taken for a year in chemistry or a similar scientific discipline would.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

dynamot wrote: »
    I have no doubt that psychology and my LC alone wouldn't exempt me from pre-med, but my question was whether an elective taken for a year in chemistry or a similar scientific discipline would.

Sorry, I was answering the replies and not the actual question, woops :P I assume it would depend on what exactly is covered in the elective, as it wouldn't technically be part of your course you'd have to make sure to inform the college asap if you got offered medicine as they would only see psychology as your previous course.

If you email the admissions office in one or more of the colleges (before they hit the busy period after CAO offers are out) then you might get a definite answer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 anna_k

good luck to all my fellow "hpat-ers" tomorrow!!:D (and if your hpat score has pretty much rendered you out of the running for medicine this year like it has for me..don't lose hope!!..if we're trully meant to do medicine we'll get in somehow!! )

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

555 in the LC and 165 in the HPAT.

716. I need a miracle drop in points to '09 levels... Doesn't seem likely. I'm going to appeal two (Possibly three) subjects. If I got an A1 instead of an A2 in Engineering I would have been at 718 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Allie79

On a positive note, your LC results are amazing - congratulations! And if the appeals don't work out you only have to repeat the HPAT and score 10 or 15 points higher - which really just means more practice on section 3!
    Good luck and well done again.

555 in the LC and 165 in the HPAT.

716. I need a miracle drop in points to '09 levels... Doesn't seem likely. I'm going to appeal two (Possibly three) subjects. If I got an A1 instead of an A2 in Engineering I would have been at 718 :(

Did you move NUIG medicine up in your CAO form? I remember you had Pharmacy above it.

Did you move NUIG medicine up in your CAO form? I remember you had Pharmacy above it.
    I did, yes. RCSI is usually less than NUIG though, no?

I did, yes. RCSI is usually less than NUIG though, no?

For Medicine? I don't think so. Last year it something like NUIG 719 and RCSI 723, but it could be different previous years before NUIG started doubling up on places.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭JamJamJamJam

If I got an A1 instead of an A2 in Engineering I would have been at 718 :(

Isn't it so sickening that dropping from an A1 to an A2 costs you 2 points! :( It's really tight for me too.. 2 points seems like so much now!

Also, I got the same score in the HPAT! High five :P

Isn't it so sickening that dropping from an A1 to an A2 costs you 2 points! :( It's really tight for me too.. 2 points seems like so much now!

Also, I got the same score in the HPAT! High five :P
    It's especially sickening considering I spent about 50 hours or so working on my project. I had never gotten less than an A1 for the past two years either. What's worse is the entire engineering department in my school thought my project was above A1 standard. Biggest sickener ever.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73862695&postcount=186

Not to sound arrogant, but how the hell did that not get an A1? :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

2 points?? An upgrade for me would bring me up 10 points to 733. Have no idea of my chances at 723 though...

• Advertisement

eia340600 wrote: »
    2 points?? An upgrade for me would bring me up 10 points to 733. Have no idea of my chances at 723 though...
    Every 5 points after 550 is only worth 1 point.

You're fine at 723 tbh.

Advertisement