Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* Everything HPAT and Medicine for 2011 *

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭caroline1111

Even 730 is like a guarantee.
    Trinity was 731* last year though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭QueenOfLeon

Trinity was 731* last year though

Medicine was 719* last year which is what most people are concentrating on...

Whatever it is, theres no point asking what people think points will be. No one has any more idea than you do.

Whatever it is, theres no point asking what people think points will be. No one has any more idea than you do.
    Ok sorry, I didn't know we weren't allowed to talk about predictions in this thread, as they do in for example the gradmed threads.

Ok sorry, I didn't know we weren't allowed to talk about predictions in this thread, as they do in for example the gradmed threads.

Theres no problem with talking about what people think the points might be, but some people on lower scores may find it condescending for people on *almost guaranteed* scores to look like they're panicking about their high score. It just gets a bit tedious with people asking constantly what other people think the cut off will be...no one knows, obviously :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

The HPAT scores this year increased, but the number of medicine applicants fell and the number of medicine places increased, so it's very hard to call the points for anything tbh. Waiting until August 22nd is the best job, nobody will know until then.

• Advertisement

Theres no problem with talking about what people think the points might be, but some people on lower scores may find it condescending for people on *almost guaranteed* scores to look like they're panicking about their high score. It just gets a bit tedious with people asking constantly what other people think the cut off will be...no one knows, obviously smile.gif

Yeah I see where you're coming from but people shouldn't think they're doing anyone any favours by giving anyone false hope whos borderline, imagine - there would be nothing worse than people telling someone they'll definately get in somewhere and then on the day not actually getting in, nothing crueler imo. :o
    Anyways I wan't aiming the post at randomers but at other people interested in going to trinity. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nomnom

Wow big big congrats that score is amazing!! Did u do any particular courses? R did u do everything yourself?? Do u mind me asking what you got in the leaving cert?? And way did u get in ur hpat last year??
    Thank you:D. Yep I did a course online alright. I wanted to give the exam my absolute all, and figured if I did one, at least I couldn't regret not having done one, if ya get me! Personally, I found it really helpful in that the question types became so familiar to me that sitting the exam wasn't nearly as stressful as anticipated. That said, I know a lot of people who disapprove of courses purely out of principle (moneyspinning yada yada), which is understandable. I suppose it's down to the person and how they want to approach the exam. I would name the course but the moderators will censor it immediately, sorry :o. You can work it out though ;)!

I got 580 in the LC, and I'll just say my HPAT last year was NOT good, and leave it at that :p.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 nomnom

Hey,
    I was disappointed enough with my hpat this year and it's kinda touch and go whether I'll make the cut in August! I was just wondering; how did u manage to pull ur score up by so much?!?!

Aww no :(. Fingers crossed! :). Ergh I wish I could tell you there's some magic formula to doing well but I personally think it's just down to how your head is on the day! I don't wanna sound like I'm an authority on the issue or an expert or anything, cos believe me, I'm not in the slightest, but I think it's SO important to be relaxed. That's when you perform at your best. By practicing and getting to grips with question types, you'll go into the exam with at least SOME knowledge of what you're facing and that inevitably helps you to relax. Just practice, practice, practice :).

I also figured that I could improve my Section 3 score the most, so I devoted a good portion of my time to it. In my opinion, it's definitely the Section with the highest possibility of question (or question type) repetition, so it's worth working the hardest on!

Sorry, I really hope I don't sound patronising! I'm not a HPAT expert by any stretch of the imagination, so my advice is probably absolute crapola! Best of luck anyway :)

nomnom wrote: »
    Aww no :(. Fingers crossed! :). Ergh I wish I could tell you there's some magic formula to doing well but I personally think it's just down to how your head is on the day! I don't wanna sound like I'm an authority on the issue or an expert or anything, cos believe me, I'm not in the slightest, but I think it's SO important to be relaxed. That's when you perform at your best. By practicing and getting to grips with question types, you'll go into the exam with at least SOME knowledge of what you're facing and that inevitably helps you to relax. Just practice, practice, practice :).

I also figured that I could improve my Section 3 score the most, so I devoted a good portion of my time to it. In my opinion, it's definitely the Section with the highest possibility of question (or question type) repetition, so it's worth working the hardest on!

Sorry, I really hope I don't sound patronising! I'm not a HPAT expert by any stretch of the imagination, so my advice is probably absolute crapola! Best of luck anyway :)
    I agree, being relaxed and being able to think clearly is probably the best help of all imo. I think though if you could achieve this by having a bit of self-confidence on the day, and being aware of the timing. I was a bit jittery at the start of my HPAT, and as I started to get crackin' on it and felt more comfortable, I felt I was doing better. This was quite apparent in my section scores (50 section 1, 58 section 2 and 66 section 3)!

Really, ensure you're in the best form for the day, eat breakfast, etc. The hardest thing about the HPAT is timing. Self-control is probably the most important.

As with nomnom, I can't claim to be an expert either (got 173 in mine), but I genuinely agree with her (:P) advice. If you could gain this confidence without spending 350€ or whatever on a prep. course, you're on the ball imo (I did such a prep. course, and felt it was okay, but far too expensive.)

However, on that note, I felt that section 3 was improvable. When I did my first HPAT practice test ever, I couldn't even get half-way through on time, and got nearly everything wrong. But I felt I did get better at it through practice - and I'd support any move to remove it from the HPAT tbh.

The HPAT is still in it's trial phase, I'd advise anyone who's doing the HPAT to go to the HPAT lecture at the UCD open day next year (if they have a HPAT lecture next year - they did this year). I went to it and the guy giving the lecture was the UCD admissions officer who was some bit involved in the implementation of the HPAT. It was very interesting, and the impression I got from it is that the HPAT is essentially only a trial at the moment. The first few years are their experiment groups. I'm not sure if they'd be happy with the points rise in the HPAT this year - the HPAT is meant to unpreparable and rely only on "life experience."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 AliBeAlright

nomnom wrote: »
    Wow big big congrats that score is amazing!! Did u do any particular courses? R did u do everything yourself?? Do u mind me asking what you got in the leaving cert?? And way did u get in ur hpat last year??
    Thank you:D. Yep I did a course online alright. I wanted to give the exam my absolute all, and figured if I did one, at least I couldn't regret not having done one, if ya get me! Personally, I found it really helpful in that the question types became so familiar to me that sitting the exam wasn't nearly as stressful as anticipated. That said, I know a lot of people who disapprove of courses purely out of principle (moneyspinning yada yada), which is understandable. I suppose it's down to the person and how they want to approach the exam. I would name the course but the moderators will censor it immediately, sorry :o. You can work it out though ;)!

I got 580 in the LC, and I'll just say my HPAT last year was NOT good, and leave it at that :p.

Thanks a million and best if luck with medicine!! I don't think I will get med this year as hpat wasn't good and even if I get 600 ie 560 I still will be about 10 points off first round offers! Outta pure curiosity I was wondering what did you do for the year seeing as you ddnt get med last year?? Sorry for being nosy! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭smndly

Can anyone tell me how to do question 24 on practice test 2?

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Nulzy

Not sure if I should post this here, but any repeats planning on applying through UCAS this yr if they don't get med?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Nulzy wrote: »
    Not sure if I should post this here, but any repeats planning on applying through UCAS this yr if they don't get med?

Yup! Planning on applying all over the place in fact, I limited myself last year, pretty naive thinking back.

Patri wrote: »
    Yup! Planning on applying all over the place in fact, I limited myself last year, pretty naive thinking back.

What 4 universities are you applying for? I know a lot of the uk unis don't accept repeats:(

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭electrictrad

smndly wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me how to do question 24 on practice test 2?

Thanks!

. . .I presume it's the puppy question, I only have photocopies. . .

Its essentially a Venn-Diagram Question. . .draw a little venn diagram on your page, and it comes out quick enough. . .

. . .I've uploaded a Venn Diagram to illustrate it. . .sometimes its easier in visual. . . but it basically comes down to having enough information to work out that 3 area's take 18, and 2 circles need 12 and 15 in total. . .one technique is to add to one circle until both circles require an equal amount, and add one at a time until the amount remaining to add is equal to whats needed by both circles. . .then this is your intersection amount and answer. . .

The answer is 3, btw. . .

. . .I hope this makes sense. . .I'm not explaining everything in full here, but if thats needed, let me know, and I'll try to do that. . .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭Patri

Nulzy wrote: »
    What 4 universities are you applying for? I know a lot of the uk unis don't accept repeats:(

Depending on my results I might not repeat, just have to see how I do :(. If I get enough points I might just repeat the hpat and apply to as many European universities as possible. What are your plans?

Patri wrote: »
    Depending on my results I might not repeat, just have to see how I do :(. If I get enough points I might just repeat the hpat and apply to as many European universities as possible. What are your plans?

Yeah, I repeated this year..but I think I'll be short by about 5 points..I don't know about repeating the Hpat next yr as the new honours maths points are coming in next yr aren't they? Unless we could get them too I don't think I'd have a chance. Anyway i'll give Ucas a shot, and go with Pharmacy in Ireland in the mean time..and see in 4 years:) Def not giving up anyway!!:P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Jaafa

So the whole thing with the Hpat results getting sent out early turned out to be eh?

Was there any follow up to their lies?

Jaafa wrote: »
    So the whole thing with the Hpat results getting sent out early turned out to be eh?

Was there any follow up to their lies?

Someone posted a few pages back an email sent to them I think, saying that it was entirely coincidental? Such a mess.

Someone posted a few pages back an email sent to them I think, saying that it was entirely coincidental? Such a mess.

Really is a disgrace by them. What was the point in lying when they know we'd find out in the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

That was me who sent the emails.

To give you an idea of ACER's response and the CAO's response...

From the beginning

ACER

Me -> Acer
    Dear Sir/Madam,

I would like clarification as to when results are released for HPAT-Ireland. I believe your site and the site of the CAO maintained that results are released in late June. However, upon checking my CAO application today on http://www.cao.ie I have discovered that my results appear to already have been posted to the CAO. I have asked other candidates and they appear to have their results available on CAO as well. I would like to ask the meaning of these results? Are the results posted genuine or is it merely an error or something similar?

Regards,
    Partyatmygaff

5 Days later
    Dear partyatmygaff,

HPAT – Ireland results will be released at the end of June 2011.

Regards
    The HPAT – Ireland Team

ACER

As you can see, they completely ignored the issue of the leaked results and just went on to give me the official date for the results. Not great but at least they didn't lie outright.

The CAO were much more creative in their response...

The first response back in May.
    Dear Partyatmygaff,

Apologies for any confusion caused. A test file of
    results was updated and removed earlier today.

The official HPAT results will be released by ACER
    in June.

Yours sincerely,

Operations Manager

The day after the results were officially released.
    HI partyatmygaff

The results we have on file now are your correct
    results.

We received the results last week and then updated
    our systems over the weekend

As previously stated, the results that appeared in
    April were actual HPAT results but may not have
    been yours.

The fact that they are exactly the sae is purely a
    coincidence

1. The results they had on file back in April were perfectly correct.
    2. No they didn't. They've had them since April if not before then.
    3/4. What a strange coincidence. The "test file of results" just so happens to contain exactly the same results as this year's set of results.

They're terrible liars. There's four paragraphs in that response and each one is its own fabrication. ACER may have given me a pretty poor reply but at least they didn't resort to blatant lies to cover themselves.

Yep thought I saw you post that before. Why bother cover it up? So they lose some credibility. They've lost far more by hiding they're failures.

It's fairly likely there's some ass-covering going on at the CAO, hence the stupid responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Cathal1992

I got 163 in this years Hpat. Got 141 last year. Im happy I went up , but highly doubtful Ill get in as I need about 570+ in my LC and depending on points fluctuation.
    Id say Im just gonna hope I get into Biomedical Science in UCD and go the graduate way , dedicate myself to doing the GAMSAT every year for 4 years and take it from there. Expensive and draining I know but you only have one life might as well have no regrets !

Although If my points are pretty good then I could just go into Uni and do the Hpat again next year. Anyone have any advice if whether its worth it?
    Im not going to give up on my dream career so easily. Results won't hold me back I'm determined to get Med !

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭kellogscoffey

Ha! Just read this in an Irish Times article:

"
    Earlier this year the CAO was embroiled in controversy after students accused it of releasing the results of their HPAT exam for medicine prematurely and without notice.
    The CAO, while apologising for any confusion among students, insisted that no 2011 HPAT results had been issued online. Instead it said it had completed a “test-run” of results using last year’s figures."
    Nice to see em sticking to their guns :rolleyes:

"
    Earlier this year the CAO was embroiled in controversy after students accused it of releasing the results of their HPAT exam for medicine prematurely and without notice.
    The CAO, while apologising for any confusion among students, insisted that no 2011 HPAT results had been issued online. Instead it said it had completed a “test-run” of results using last year’s figures."

Go to sleep man. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Carsinian Thau

"

Does this really matter anymore?

I got 163 in this years Hpat. Got 141 last year. Im happy I went up , but highly doubtful Ill get in as I need about 570+ in my LC and depending on points fluctuation.
    Id say Im just gonna hope I get into Biomedical Science in UCD and go the graduate way , dedicate myself to doing the GAMSAT every year for 4 years and take it from there. Expensive and draining I know but you only have one life might as well have no regrets !

Although If my points are pretty good then I could just go into Uni and do the Hpat again next year. Anyone have any advice if whether its worth it?
    Im not going to give up on my dream career so easily. Results won't hold me back I'm determined to get Med !

Definately if you get 550+ start your course and do the HPAT again next year, you should also do the ******** course, if you did get it then you'd probably be able to skip premed in UCD. Its definately worth trying.
    Otherwise go the graduate route, they're introducing more places every year so it should be getting easier.
    You're right not to give up, where theres a will theres a way. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭drrkpd

Definately if you get 550+ start your course and do the HPAT again next year, you should also do the ******** course, if you did get it then you'd probably be able to skip premed in UCD. Its definately worth trying.
    Otherwise go the graduate route, they're introducing more places every year so it should be getting easier.
    You're right not to give up, where theres a will theres a way. :)

Can you just repeat hpat and add to your LC points?? was certainly rumour that you had to do both hpat AND LC in same year in future???
    If your dream is to do medicine and you can't just do hpat then go graduate as you have said -at least there is more than one way now to become a doctor which is great.
    And agree the online ******** course is well worth doing if you can repeat hpat.

• Advertisement

drrkpd wrote: »
    Can you just repeat hpat and add to your LC points?? was certainly rumour that you had to do both hpat AND LC in same year in future???

Ya, you can do them in seperate years.

Also, I see that the hpat site has put up the date of next years test - 25th of February.

Advertisement