Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

* D.C.G. HL predictions / discussion / aftermath * (1 thread only please)

Options
  • 18-04-2011 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭

RITE LAAAADS,
    ive started this as a separate thread from the project thread.
    so can everyone post what they think will come up/what they are studyin? also any questions people have about dcg.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

I'm predicting inter penetration will come up, as it's come up every year and in the sample. I don't really like the question though, it takes so long...

I'm hoping for solids in contact and intersecting planes in section-B. Wouldn't mind perspective or oblique plane though.

What parts of section C is everyone doing?

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

I'm predicting inter penetration will come up, as it's come up every year and in the sample.

The course is in its third year :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hairybacon

Hoping for interpenetration, perspective and oblique plane, then something easy in the dynamic mechanisms and assembly questions... [Not looking good for an A1 in dcg, wasted all last year playing games on the internet and all this year on the project] At the moment I am doing some interpenetrations I got from the old course and a lot of dynamic mechanisms yokes

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MikeHough

Ya id love skew planes and oblique planes to come up but i heard skew planes is unlikely as people have always done very well in it over de last few years and they now want to focus on de bits people arent doin as well in

also wat type of qs do ye tink will come up for de surface and structural??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,734 ✭✭✭J_E

As far as assemblies go, I just hope it's do-able. I find some of them (i.e the micrometer for the mocks) difficult to figure out and put together.

Would also love cam and a nice locus for the dynamic mechanisms question.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 hairybacon

What can actually come up in dynamic mechanisms- cams, helix, loci, displacement diagram,?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bugsbunny94

Does anyone think laminas will come up? or trimetric project would be lovely :D . Iv a feeling solids in contact will come up and intersections? :(

I hope the short Q's arnt too tricky :confused: :cool:

well "laminas" as u call them have come up the last 2 years(every year).
    therefore it wud seem theyre a cert.but i wudnt be so sure. as i said before i heard on another thread that they might not come up because everyone does so well in them.
    trimetric seems a bit easy for the long Qs to me.more of a SQ.then again one came up as a long q for my pre.
    and didnt solids in contact come up on the other pre? so...
    THEEEEEEENNN you have intersections which came up 2 years ago.......

so now, ive probably confused you more than helped but i was just tryin to give an argument from all sides

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭sligo.

i was brilliant at TG in JC....got an A! and now i'm crap :( i don't know what happened! i find the LC course is a lot harder (and i know that's to be expected in every subject, but still the level of drawing seems to me to be far more difficult in LC!) i'm confident that i've done a very good project and now i'm really lacking in the paper. how to pick up and do a good paper?...hmmm. my section C is so bad, we did mines and roads! i'm good at intersecting planes and trimetric projection, getting better at perspectives, BAD at interpenetration, we just covered solids in contact and its not too bad. what other topics come up on section B??

oblique plane. good chance of it comin up again.

also what else have u done for section c? You need to do 2 u know?

• Advertisement

I agree with u about the LC being much harder btw.
    Our teacher says its a joke how easy the JC is compared to the leaving.
    JC course should be made harder to prepare people more for LC.

MikeHough wrote: »
    I agree with u about the LC being much harder btw.
    Our teacher says its a joke how easy the JC is compared to the leaving.
    JC course should be made harder to prepare people more for LC.

thankfully i'm not the only person who thinks theres a dramatic change between the two courses then ha:) oh yes the oblique plane, where it chops the top off objects and you have to show the cut? i'm not too bad at that either. the other one on section C that we covered was the curve question (forgive me i don't know its title) with the parabolas/hyperbolas/hyperbolic paraboloids!!:P

ha ya.
    ya oblique plane is grand.
    oh ya structural.i did that too, aswell as surface and mining.(surface much easier than mining i think)

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Paczini

Are yous doing Assemblies? I hate them and do everything I can not to do them.

no didnt do assemblies.ya i heard theyre long and tricky.

what je think will come up for structural?
    ive a feelin theyll hit us with a translation one.like C2(a) in the SEC sample.one like that hasnt come up yet in the course...

Rite so ive been looking at the past years. goes like this:
    SQs ..................Perspective ..........................Skew lines
    .......................axonometric......................... axonometric
    ........................hyperbola............................. parabola
    ..............solids in contact/plane traces........... oblique plane

LQs B........ Oblique plane(traces)............... Oblique plane(traces)
    ....................Skew planes............................ Skew planes
    ...................Interpenetration........................ Perspective

(Didnt do C qs cos everyone does different ones and theyre usually basically the same each year)

So predictions based on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Kev Cah

I'm predicting inter penetration will come up, as it's come up every year and in the sample. I don't really like the question though, it takes so long...

I'm hoping for solids in contact and intersecting planes in section-B. Wouldn't mind perspective or oblique plane though.

What parts of section C is everyone doing?

I'd say your right. I think The Convention Centre Dublin (The CCD) will come up especially with Aviva last year. It's a cylinder intersecting a cube tho.

Kev Cah wrote: »
    I'd say your right. I think The Convention Centre Dublin (The CCD) will come up especially with Aviva last year. It's a cylinder intersecting a cube tho.

ya ccd wud be a good one alrite. was kinda thinkin dat myself too.
    does anyone have any links to extra exam papers? seein as theres only 2 actual papers and 2 samples in my book
    wud some of the old tech drawin questions be basically the same???

Paczini wrote: »
    Are yous doing Assemblies? I hate them and do everything I can not to do them.
    Yeah. I never find assemblies that hard tbh, you just have to see what diameters go together and that.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭galwayman17..

well lads,

anyone here doiing the geometry question on section C?

id say oblique planes will come up this year again because its come up on LQ and SQ last year and LQ on yea before that. apparently its being answered badly.

• Advertisement

well lads,

anyone here doiing the geometry question on section C?

id say oblique planes will come up this year again because its come up on LQ and SQ last year and LQ on yea before that. apparently its being answered badly.

I think that I will do it
    Im not doing Dynamic Mechanisms and Assemblies so I will have a choice between the other 3 questions. It really depends on the question that will come up

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

MikeHough wrote: »
    ya ccd wud be a good one alrite. was kinda thinkin dat myself too.
    does anyone have any links to extra exam papers? seein as theres only 2 actual papers and 2 samples in my book
    wud some of the old tech drawin questions be basically the same???
    Please, Mike, cut out the textspeak!

It's not welcome on this site. :)

I am currently doing some old mock paper and I'm kinda stuck
    I have an elipse and parallerogram in plan and hyperbolic paraboloid and parabola in elevation. The second part of the question is asking me to "Find the angle of inclination between the plane director and the vertical plane." What does it mean and how do I do it?!

Paczini wrote: »
    I am currently doing some old mock paper and I'm kinda stuck
    I have an elipse and parallerogram in plan and hyperbolic paraboloid and parabola in elevation. The second part of the question is asking me to "Find the angle of inclination between the plane director and the vertical plane." What does it mean and how do I do it?!

mate, a link with an image would be helpful!:D

How is everyone set for the exams then? I'm kind of worried, I wish there was more to practice on. The sample assemblies are rubbish in comparison to the actual papers.

i'm sure everyone is fine apart from me! :') i want to pass the paper at least! i assume whatever percent you get in the paper would be decreased appropriately and added to the 40% (or close enough) from the project? :) hmmmm do i need to pass? :p i have no more time until thursday night to take out the board and t-square and do questions!!

sligo. wrote: »
    i'm sure everyone is fine apart from me! :') i want to pass the paper at least! i assume whatever percent you get in the paper would be decreased appropriately and added to the 40% (or close enough) from the project? :) hmmmm do i need to pass? :p i have no more time until thursday night to take out the board and t-square and do questions!!

im not fine at all! like im average enough at the moment around a good C but DCG gives you the chance of getting a B if you have a good project and a lucky paper!

if you mean thursday before the exam then honestly thats just stupid. if you're worried about failling then you will make time for the subject. nobody else can mae you do it so just do it!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭ride-the-spiral

Cydoniac wrote: »
    How is everyone set for the exams then? I'm kind of worried, I wish there was more to practice on. The sample assemblies are rubbish in comparison to the actual papers.

I've been doing the old questions, I find them to be good practice because although they're a lot harder, the material is still relevant.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Kilbride206

The course is definitely harder than Junior Cert Haha
    I'd say Planes in space, perspective and Solids in Contact for long questions. Planes in Space seems to be a given and solids in contact hasn't come up yet in the actual exams. For section C the roadways question is so easy but the hyperbola/parabola/hyperbaloid of revolution/ ellipse has so much understanding to it. I can't imagine what it would have been like for the old leaving cert course because they've dumbed it down so much :/

• Advertisement

What do people think will come up for Section C?
    Surely a hyperbolic paraboloid roof surface couldnt come up again for the structural right?Hyperboliod of revolution or a translation is more likely ya?

Surface: A transition piece hasnt come up yet or else a FULL question on roof surfaces I think

Advertisement