Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How to Use A Roundabout

Options
  • 30-01-2011 7:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭

Modnote: Save yourself 705 posts of pain and read this post
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=70800115&postcount=706

there is a battle going on pug306.net about this question, its whether the correct lane is left or right, right is winning but to me its obviously the left please vote :)

icon1.png Expert drivers! Roundabout question!

Firstly, sorry about the crap picture, I have to rotate it to make it clearer! If you want to see the roundabout in all its glory, look for NP20 6QB, that is the school in the top of my picture!

Right, have the following roundabout in Cwmbran, it is quite unclear! Everyone does it differently, and its like wackey races there sometimes

Going in the directions of the red arrow, there are two lanes onto the roundabout (neither lane is marked, so no specific left turn only lane) There are 3 exits, we want the 2nd one, so only one lane off.

The question is, would you be in the left hand lane, or right hand lane here?? I say right, cymraegboy says left!
    Whichlane.jpg

correct lane 209 votes

left
    0% 0 votes
    right
    100% 209 votes
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'd go right, and would be 90% sure i'm right.

I've always gone under the rule, when approaching a roundabout, unless you're taking the first exit then you should be in the Right hand lane.

Although, if i had to use the roundabout a lot i'd sort of straddle the middle so would neither be right or wrong ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I really dont see the debate. Its the second exit, left lane every time, just because it's beyond 12o'clock makes no difference

scudzilla wrote: »
    I've always gone under the rule, when approaching a roundabout, unless you're taking the first exit then you should be in the Right hand lane.

Although, if i had to use the roundabout a lot i'd sort of straddle the middle so would neither be right or wrong ;)

Sorry scudzilla, that's a terrible rule you have there and if you lived here in walkinstown you'd cause an accident/ a lot horn beeping everyday of the week

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

left is losing 4 to one on the original site :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

to be fair, I don't think that's an Irish site and their "highway code" doesn't help the situation
    When taking any intermediate exit, unless signs or markings indicate otherwise;

- select the appropriate lane on approach to the roundabout
    - you should not normally need to signal on approach
    - stay in this lane until you need to alter course to exit the roundabout
    - signal left after you have passed the exit before the one you want

When there are more than three lanes at the entrance to a roundabout, use the most appropriate lane on approach and through it.

how the fook does a learner decide what's appropriate?

the Irish rules of the road are pretty cut and dry, left lane without doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

Omg, I hate you people who get it wrong!
    Left lane!

http://vimeo.com/8553732

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Anyone who answered "right" should surrender their license to help keep our roads safer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Clearly the left lane. Its an odd roundabout admittedly but its still a roundabout so treat it as any other.

/trots off on high horse :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

HERE
    145704.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shane732

This is a re-occurring question on boards.ie

I'm linking a thread with a reply from the RSA in relation to taking exits where the second exit is beyond the 180 degrees mark.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055998652

Some of you guys might want to go back and learn the rules of the road!

theteal wrote: »
    I really dont see the debate. Its the second exit, left lane every time, just because it's beyond 12o'clock makes no difference

2993244653_82aceb0b9e.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

clearly that exit is before 1 oc though and tbf he sounds like ha hasnt got a notion :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

cwmbran being in Wales (i think) and therefore in the UK, you may take either lane into a roundabout in this case (unless otherwise marked) and exit at that exit. That is because the rules are different over there and whats more people know how to use their indicators and mirrors on roundabouts.

Uk roundabout rules allow you to use either lane on approach if you are going striaght on irrespective of how many lanes there are at the exit.Far more sensible but totally lethel here as most havent a clue how to drive (see some of the answers on here for instance!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Your turning right so eh it's the right lane you should be in.

Shane732 wrote: »
    2993244653_82aceb0b9e.jpg

due to uncontrollable forehead perspiration issues i may have to reevaluate my views on unconventional roundabout lane usage. . .if thems the rules

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

This is a re-occurring question on boards.ie

I'm linking a thread with a reply from the RSA in relation to taking exits where the second exit is beyond the 180 degrees mark.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055998652

Some of you guys might want to go back and learn the rules of the road!
    Clearly the RSA advice is just that, and NOT a rule of the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭Ki ki

Ok, so according to the response from the RSA it is more or less stated that one should be using the right hand lane. I just hope I have time to email them for clarity if I find myself in a situation that isn't clearly defined in their rules of the road.

I will from now on, when turning past 12 o'clock, use the right hand lane. Though it feels so wrong. Can I keep my license please?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 TurtleFace

In retrospect wacky races sounds a lot more appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Mr.David

Right lane......why would it be the left lane?

If basing it on the number of exits on a roundabout, what do you do when you hit a big roundabout with lots of exits that you've not driven over before? Get out and count?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,271 ✭✭✭✭ted1

left lane. The misses was pulled over by the traffic corp some time back for said offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭alanmc

If there were no arrows on the lanes, I'd be very uncomfortable using the left left. I'd take the right lane and change into the left lane after the first exit. If everybody followed this, there wouldn't be any confusion. But If there's somebody in the left lane, I've no space to move into. Why would you have two lanes otherwise?

It makes common sense that it's the right lane until you approach your exit. Think of the left lane as your slip road to your exit, and the right lane as the driving lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭pajor

The Dunkathel roundabout on the way in/out of Cork is pretty much the same lay out.

When on it, going out of Cork with my driving instructor he always told me to take the left lane for that roundabout, even though it seemed like the right lane. He said it was an exception! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I don't get that you should be in the left lane if going off at the 2nd exit. I think that had to make that rule to cater for roundabouts which are two small, for multiple lanes.

If you are going to have multiple lanes on a roundabout it should be big enough for you to change lanes between exits.

There should be one simple rule only. Left lane for next exit only.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

There should be another rule of the road for roundabout construction.

If there are two lanes leading into the roundabout there should be two lanes out of the roundabout as well and at all exits. Helps to alleviate confusion and potential accidents no end.

Bluetonic wrote: »
    Clearly the RSA advice is just that, and NOT a rule of the road.

Apologies on the poor choice of words.

Are you suggesting that the advice given in the thread I linked is incorrect? Are you suggesting that your advice should be taken above that of the Road Safety Authority?!

If so, then I'm going to stick with the face palm approach today:

129149032326095124.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

Apologies on the poor choice of words.

Are you suggesting that the advice given in the thread I linked is incorrect? Are you suggesting that your advice should be taken above that of the Road Safety Authority?!

pretty much explains Irish drivers attitudes to driving ..... I'll drive the way I drive !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Right lane. Past 12oc and not going straight through. Don't get the reasoning for left lane:confused:

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Right Lane. This has come up before, and the Driving Test Supervisor from the RSA would agree that it's the right lane.
    Dear **name**,

While it is impossible to give a definitive rule on position to be taken at Multi Exit Roundabouts due to their actual layout, size and amount of traffic lanes if any, however as a general rule if taking any Exit between the 8.00am to 1.00pm positions, motorists should approach in the Left Hand Lane, Road Position or as dictated by Road Markings.
    If taking any Exit from the 1.pm to 5.pm position motorists should approach in the Right Hand Lane or Position.

Your are correct on your understanding of the procedures to be adopted at Roundabouts in your email.

Your colleagues are not correct in their understanding that they base their approach on the number of exits only and not take into account the layout of the Exits at the Roundabouts.

The above guidelines are for reference only’.

I hope this is of help.

Kind regards,
    **name**
    Road Safety Authority

SOURCE: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055998652&page=1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

theteal wrote: »
    Ki ki wrote: »
    Anyone who answered "right" should surrender their license to help keep our roads safer.

Thats you then, surrender it right now;)
    Clearly the left lane. Its an odd roundabout admittedly but its still a roundabout so treat it as any other.

/trots off on high horse :pac:
    Absurdum wrote: »
    HERE
    145704.jpg

Thats how the irish would do it

Would the people who say left explain how do they work out the left lane.Second lane is mostly for the third exit or right turn.Right lane it is.Who is the numpty that put a roundabout there anyway:(.They could not even put markings on it:mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement