Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NZ guy who predicts weather

Options
  • 29-12-2010 6:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Does anyone know the name of the guy from New Zealand (Or Australia) who predicts long range weather? Think he was in the irish times/RTE a few months ago predicting the current cold spell, 40 days of snow.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

irishguy wrote: »
    Does anyone know the name of the guy from New Zealand (Or Australia) who predicts long range weather? Think he was in the irish times/RTE a few months ago predicting the current cold spell, 40 days of snow.
    his name is Ken Ring & i dont think alot of people on here would agree with his prediction of the cold spell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I am sick of listening to Met Eireann they seem to get it wrong the whole time and the forecasts arent very accurate.

Any recomendations of a more accurate forecasting service?

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭suitseir

Thanks for the quick reply guys. I am sick of listening to Met Eireann they seem to get it wrong the whole time and the forecasts arent very accurate.

Any recomendations of a more accurate forecasting service?

Yr.no weatherireland seems to be pretty accurate! I have been tracking this one and it had predicted thaw would not start until 26th.Dec. Also check accuweather ireland.

read the daily forcast stickied at top of main page,M.T posts forcast every day :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

Ken ring actually posts on Boards. Get to the Weather forum where he posts along with the guy from Irish Weather Online. It is all happening here.

Ken ring actually posts on Boards. Get to the Weather forum where he posts along with the guy from Irish Weather Online. It is all happening here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055948304
    yeah its in this thread,you might have to read through it to find his posts

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Kenring

delw wrote: »
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055948304
    yeah its in this thread,you might have to read through it to find his posts
    Well, I'm here. My forecast was for very cold weather at the end of November, not a white Xmas and a dry but cold first half of January, with precipitation coming in the second half of the month. February should be a milder month. I am not allowed to mention my website here.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

Kenring wrote: »
    I am not allowed to mention my website here.

so you keep telling us

so you keep telling us
    No, so the moderators keep warning me, and I don't wish to be barred. They say mention of any websites is regarded as self-promotion. (Mods, does that apply to all, including Met Eirann?)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

No, so the moderators keep warning me, and I don't wish to be barred. They say mention of any websites is regarded as self-promotion. (Mods, does that apply to all, including Met Eirann?)

Most weather websites aren't making money from it . . .especially ME.

Most weather websites aren't making money from it . . .especially ME.
    That would be fair enough, but most host banner advertising

That would be fair enough, but most host banner advertising

I do remember villain saying that he was paid €75 from google ads in 2 years . . .less than the cost of hosting the site! But i do see your point, maybe there should be a blanket ban on self promoting outside of sigs. Not really my place to decide though!!!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭isle of man

no what i was getting at, is that you do not need to say. "but im not allowed to say my website"

there was no need, and the only reason i can see why you did it was to have a dig at the mods on here.
    which really is not needed as to be honest i think they do a good fair job on here.

(blows smoke up mods ass) sorry :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Ugh, Here we go again..`

no what i was getting at, is that you do not need to say. "but im not allowed to say my website"

there was no need, and the only reason i can see why you did it was to have a dig at the mods on here.
    which really is not needed as to be honest i think they do a good fair job on here.

(blows smoke up mods ass) sorry :P
    The mods do do a good job, which is why I am respectful. But it's hard not to self-promote, just by virtue of posting anything. After my warning I find myself walking on eggshells, worried that a word or allusion to my services are seen as reason to cull me. I note that Irish Weather Online has heaps of banners, so do all the other Irish weather sites. It doesn't seem fair. I have no banners but I still offer services. It would be better for mods to just ignore mention of websites if they come up. It is too hard to police. Can you not appreciate that there is an inconsistency because ME are certainly in the commercial world, and a large portion of boardsie. is devoted to discussing what ME puts out. Isn't that advertising?

The mods do do a good job, which is why I am respectful. But it's hard not to self-promote, just by virtue of posting anything. After my warning I find myself walking on eggshells, worried that a word or allusion to my services are seen as reason to cull me. I note that Irish Weather Online has heaps of banners, so do all the other Irish weather sites. It doesn't seem fair. I have no banners but I still offer services. It would be better for mods to just ignore mention of websites if they come up. It is too hard to police. Can you not appreciate that there is an inconsistency because ME are certainly in the commercial world, and a large portion of boardsie. is devoted to discussing what ME puts out. Isn't that advertising?

We'd discuss what you put out too if we thought it had any degree of accuracy and if we didn't have to pay for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Ken that offer of a public debate still stands

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

I must say as a purchaser of Ken's forecasts and his 2011 almanack that I find his predictions are very accurate, I give him far more credibility than some of the stuff we get fed by met eireann etc.

A true forecasting genius so he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭Joe Public

I do remember a prediction of a milder winter than the last one which would have been a short odds bet then but now not such a dead cert.;)

Is there a link to Ken's long range forecast for this winter as I was searching for it lately and had no luck, I just remembered the milder bit.
    I'd be interested to see how accurate it is turning out to be.

• Advertisement

We'd discuss what you put out too if we thought it had any degree of accuracy and if we didn't have to pay for it.
    Whoa, that's a bit harsh. I have several articles on my website that look way ahead for Ireland that are free to read. I make many comments and forecast opinions on boards.ie that I don't charge anyone for.

But the discussion usually turns to the fact that I am an alternative forecaster and am encroaching on the territory of regular meteorologists and their methodology. An excuse is found to paint me in a fraudulent light.

Various things are then thrown at me, like that I am trying to be commercial and that's somehow evil, that I live too far away to know anything and that these moon methods are snakeoil or ME would be using them too.

I am always up for debate about the efficacy of lunar/solar influence on weather, but no one seems prepared to debate this from a theoretical point of view, any discussion quickly becomes just a personal one. Like "I bought a forecast from you once and it was wrong for my town, so it must be all ****e".

Imagine if the same people wrote into ME, how much mail they would have to deal with. Any assessment of the moon method must take into account my claim that a)I don't do temperatures (that is solar), b)there is a 15% error margin, which means 8 weeks in a year, almost a season, c)there is a 50-80 mile applicability and potential discrepancy. And actually that applies to all forecasting.

see what you started irishguy ;):D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭BEASTERLY

Thats funny, I never remember Gerald Flemming coming on here and posting a link to Met Eirrean's website, do you know what self-promotion means Ken?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭keltoms05

so kenring whats your forecast for the month of January in Auckland New Zealand?? Am heading there on the 11th January:D

keltoms05 wrote: »
    so kenring whats your forecast for the month of January in Auckland New Zealand?? Am heading there on the 11th January:D

Hot with 75% chance of (being ripped off), i mean thunderstorms.

Joe Public wrote: »
    I do remember a prediction of a milder winter than the last one which would have been a short odds bet then but now not such a dead cert.;)

Is there a link to Ken's long range forecast for this winter as I was searching for it lately and had no luck, I just remembered the milder bit.
    I'd be interested to see how accurate it is turning out to be.
    Well, as I said, I went for the cold weather clicking-in at the end of November, not a white Xmas and a dry but cold first half of January, with precipitation coming in the second half of the month. February should be a milder month. March should see the last of it with a particularly cold spell around the middle of the month, and a glorious summer with 3 good fortnightly sunny runs. June won't be the best month though.

Well, as I said, I went for the cold weather clicking-in at the end of November, not a white Xmas and a dry but cold first half of January, with precipitation coming in the second half of the month. February should be a milder month. March should see the last of it with a particularly cold spell around the middle of the month, and a glorious summer with 3 good fortnightly sunny runs. June won't be the best month though.

In fairnees to ya ken you gave me the best laugh of my life when i heard you on Matt Cooper on Today FM in 2006(I think) and you predicted that it would be a snowy winter(so very wrong) and then you said the snow would come back in May and June! I remember Matt Cooper sounding very shocked, unfortunately there was snow that June:(

BEASTERLY wrote: »
    Thats funny, I never remember Gerald Flemming coming on here and posting a link to Met Eirrean's website, do you know what self-promotion means Ken?
    I take it to mean advertising and promoting of a service and/or products. If I work for myself then it is obviously selfpromoting because there's no one else here! Not rocket science.

I take it to mean advertising and promoting of a service and/or products. If I work for myself then it is obviously selfpromoting because there's no one else here! Not rocket science.

But you said one of us putting a link to ME up was self-promotion?

• Advertisement

keltoms05 wrote: »
    Go to my website, heaps of free stuff there about what's coming up for NZ.

Advertisement