Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

TV's with MPEG4 DTT decoder

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Hi
    Dont know if i am in the right thread but i think i am , if not apologies in advance.
    This question has probably been done before but cant find the answer and am a newbie to all this.

I have a 25" Hannspree TV in one of the bedrooms, its tuning for DTT, picking up loads of radio channels, the TV channels are storing but no picture , saying "Video Type not supported "

Can somebody please explain to me and also tell me what i need to do to remedy the situation.
    The guy who sold me the tv in the shop told me it would work for the DTT channels.
    If he told me lies the TV will be arriving back to him this week.

A big thank you to anyone who can help.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Wrong model

take it back. Must be old stock. Only does MPEG2 / Freeview.

You need "Freeview HD" or Saorview
    http://www.saortv.info/terrestrial-saorview/saorview-reception/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

andrew1977 wrote: »
    Hi
    Dont know if i am in the right thread
    Had you searched the thread you would have found

Hanspree models. I take it yours is neither an SV series or an SJ series
    SV Mpeg4 and MHEG5
    SJ Mpeg4 and MHEG5
    ST No Mpeg4 and No Mheg5

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Anyone able to tell me if this tv would work with saorview?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Anyone able to tell me if this tv would work with saorview?

It is compatible with the French TNT HD, so should work. It needs MHEG5 as well, but is available in the UK so probably has that as well. Check it out with a local retailer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭andrew1977

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Had you searched the thread you would have found

Hanspree models. I take it yours is neither an SV series or an SJ series

Apologies, i did have a look but new to all this TV lark and i am not as educuated as you on the subject and some of the jargon makes no sense to me.
    Anyway watty helped me ,for which i am grateful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

What is the mheg5 used for

Groovy Teletext and also as Watty has said some channels may appear in interactive mode only (picture inside MHEG5 wrapper) and may not be tunable otherwise.

Not a showstopper but desirable.

Good short answer
    Longer detail :)http://www.saortv.info/about/mheg5/

(now with fancy glossary tip boxes if Javascript is enabled)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

watty wrote: »

I know you are trying to keep things simple on that site Watty, and it is an excellent resource for anyone trying to get to grips with the basics.

You do reiterate though that:
    A Freeview TV or Freeview “setbox” will not work with Saorview (even if it claims to be HD Ready or Full HD, it won’t work, net ever with N.I. HD either). You might get the Radio channels. You need either a Saorview or “Freeview HD” certified TV (or add-on Set-Box).

I realise that 'Freeview HD' and Saorview give shoppers something safe to cling to in waters that are infested with cheap and nasty Freeview products, but I'm not sure they should all be written off.

While 'Freeview HD' certified TVs are more of a safe bet, there are many 'Freeview' branded sets which are working well with Saorview. If someone is in a location where they will never receive Freeview HD, there may be a considerable price difference between 'Freeview HD' models and, otherwise very similar, non 'Freeview HD' models. The difficulty of course is in how to tell the difference without getting technical, and so it is easier to advise keeping away from (non-HD) Freeview altogether.

As an example though, I recently had my eye on a Samsung LE40C580 Freeview HD model to replace my faulty CRT, as I will get Freeview HD from NI in two years. I couldn't ignore the very good deals which were coming up on the LE40C530, which seemed to be just as good a TV, if not better, but which lacked Freeview HD. The best price I could get on the C580 at the time was £449. I went for the C530 for £364 in the end. I figured that the £85 saving would be best spent on a Freesat HD box I can use now, rather than paying a premium for a future service, by which time Freeview HD boxes will be very cheap anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭STB

Have to agree with Watty.

Not everyone is technical enough to scope out Freeview branded products that actually have mpeg4 processors in them. Infact MPEG4 isnt part of the Freeview SD profile so why they are sold by manufacturers is beyond me other than certain manufacturers getting rid of MPEG2 chips altogether. But given no consistency accross the board amongst manufacturers it is right to say Freeview products should not be sold here. The spec for freeview is MPEG2. Therefore it doesnt fit the bill. You cant depend on retailers to stock the right one! Especially large supermarket and household retail chains! Too much old stock to dump on non technical consumer.

Freeview HD and Saorview and or MPEG4/AVC products should be enough to point consumers in the right direction for the basics without getting caught up in a minefield. The whole idea is that even the retailers cant get it wrong then!

The majority of the country will never receive either Freeview or Freeview HD anyhow...

Only "Freeview HD" and not Freeview with HD or anything else.

The non-Freeview HD is a total minefield, and basically all HD models from UK that have MPEG4 and not DVB-T2 are obsolete.

The whole point of saortv.info is not for the person checking existing TV (an aerial in most cases will do that) or trying to pick up essentially "dumped" stock that might work, but to really be a simple alternative to www.saorview.ie So Saortv.info can't recommend ANY plain "Freeview" models or suggest that any work.

If you think about it you will see my logic.

The thread here is enough, IMO and there is a link on the saortv.info site to this forum.

I was looking at a nice 42" Sony today. The Shop keeper could not tell me if it did MHEG5. He had never heard of MHEG5 or Interactive. I said, it's like on the Sky box, which he was familar with. He never knew we would have such a feature!
    So I asked him to select a DTT channel and press Text. The MHEG5 text came up. It also does the RTE NL HD loop.

If I was 100% sure that there will be a HD test and MHEG5 running I would explain on saortv.info how to ask for demo of those in the shop. I can't be sure, so I give the only sure advice.

Even the Satellite section is a bit dodgy because only SOME "freesat HD" can do Freesat and Saorsat, some have no Diseqc, so can only be used with a manual switch to change dish feed if you want both, even though all Freesat HD boxes (in isolation) will work with Saorsat with a ka LNBF @ 9E.

So http://www.saortv.info is trying to do quite a different thing to this forum or even http://www.techtir.ie I'm actually not entirely happy with content :(

However I obviously think it's more use than www.saorview.ie or I would not have done it. I also have to be careful as it uses the Saorview branding rather prominently. RTE know about the site over a week and have said nothing. I don't expect an endorsement, but I do hope to not annoy them :) So no mention of "Freeview" only sets that happen to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

STB wrote: »
    Infact MPEG4 isnt part of the Freeview SD profile so why they are sold by manufacturers is beyond me other than certain manufacturers getting rid of MPEG2 chips altogether.

Since MPEG 4 is downward compatible with MPEG 2 why would a manufacturer want to have a separate product line running producing inferior products for the UK?

It would also be inconvenient for customers living in places like Folkstone or Newry who wished to receive TV from other countries.

Those spillover areas only account for around 4m in the UK in a total market of 60m, spillover here is up to 2m out of 4.5m.

They must pay a royalty for mpeg4 is why, cheaper to make an mpeg2+4 chip and disable it in the UK thereby saving 50c or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭livdmg

Do you know if this make has mpeg4 " Sanyo ce42fd08 " and can get saorview?

winston_1 wrote: »
    Since MPEG 4 is downward compatible with MPEG 2 why would a manufacturer want to have a separate product line running producing inferior products for the UK?

It would also be inconvenient for customers living in places like Folkstone or Newry who wished to receive TV from other countries.

Well Winston the Freeview SD spec is published per UK DBook and always has been. Its not based upon ETSI standards. The UK does not specify MPEG4 H264 for dvb-t, it does specify it for dvb-t2 though. It specifies MPEG2 for dvb-t. Hence the reason why SD legacy products still being massively warehoused. Manufacturers MASS produce for the spec not for overspill communities. The branding is uniform for Freeview. It is nothing to do with serving the inconvenienced.

Hence the problem all along with the rigid interpretation by Panasonic for example shipping MPEG4 chips for Freesat HD decoding but disabling anything other than MPEG2 decoding on the dvb-t side!

The reason it is happening of course is that certain manufacturers are shipping the same TVs under different model numbers with only the changes made in the firmware/software. This is certainly the case with the Panasonic and their European and British models essentially being the same but sold under different models or not at all - product pricing and targeting at play and for more money in many cases - the Pani hack on the G10s is a real eye opener to all of this! You get what you pay for according to what is turned on despite the units overall capabilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 steevie

jpogorman wrote: »
    Hello,

I'm new to a lot of the issues around DTT and am in the market for a new television. I was just wondering is there are any TV's out there that have MPEG4 decoders build into them so I would not have to get a seperate decoder when DTT goes fully live. Could anyone recommend a TV that they know has this decoder?

I was thinking of getting this TV but am nearly sure it does not support MPEG4...
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=348230&view=detailed#ProductTabs

Thanks,
    JP

MODEDIT: STB has made a more recent list (19 Jan 09) of MPEG4 TV's here in this thread:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=58664909&postcount=101

I recently bought a Sony 32" LCD Satellite TV Model KDL 32V 5810 from Power City for €549.99 delivered free countrywide. It has an mpeg4 Tuner built in + Freesat and you receive BBC and ITV1 in High Definition. You require a Satellite Dish. Great picture and good value. Log onto Power City.ie site TV's - Sony and you will find it. It is the only set that is sold in the Republic with Mpeg4 and Freesat

steevie wrote: »
    I recently bought a Sony 32" LCD Satellite TV Model KDL 32V 5810 from Power City for €549.99 delivered free countrywide. It has an mpeg4 Tuner built in + Freesat and you receive BBC and ITV1 in High Definition. You require a Satellite Dish. Great picture and good value. Log onto Power City.ie site TV's - Sony and you will find it. It is the only set that is sold in the Republic with Mpeg4 and Freesat

Not true LG LF7700 series and has been for a long time. Same price - but sold out because too many people found out!
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/LG_32LF7700_32_Inch_Freesat_Full_HD_LCD_TV_32LF7700/version.asp

buragoed wrote: »
    Thanks for the quick reply, that looks like a lovely TV alright. Do you think it would make a good replacement for someone used to Sky? I'm trying to keep the set-up as simple for everyone in the house to use. Would changing channels from a terrestrial channel to a satellite one be seamless or involve loads of button presses?

Edit: Also do you know if this will do RTE in HD whenever that service is launched? :)

I have the Sony 32V 5810 and you will receive RTE in HD on it. They are doing test transmissions on it at the moment. There is a very bad setup manual with the set. There are 2 buttons marked Digital and Analogue. Press Digital once you get Mpeg4 for Irish Channels. Press it again for Freesat. Press Analogue for terrestrial. I made out a channel list with Numbers for the wife and she is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

STB wrote: »
    - the Pani hack on the G10s is a real eye opener to all of this! You get what you pay for according to what is turned on despite the units overall capabilities.

What is this hack? Is it documented somewhere?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

Has the timeframe changed for the official list of saorview compatible tvs being published? This is driving me insane? I just want to buy a 19-32 inch HD ready tv that is compatible with saorview. Why is it taking so long to announce the list? What and when was the last official word on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Deedsie wrote: »
    Has the timeframe changed for the official list of saorview compatible tvs being published? This is driving me insane? I just want to buy a 19-32 inch HD ready tv that is compatible with saorview. Why is it taking so long to announce the list? What and when was the last official word on this?
    This is the latest list - http://saorview.ie/receiving.html

Other manufacturers will probably in time be added to the list once they submit their products and pass the compliance testing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I have the Sony 32V 5810 and you will receive RTE in HD on it. They are doing test transmissions on it at the moment. There is a very bad setup manual with the set. There are 2 buttons marked Digital and Analogue. Press Digital once you get Mpeg4 for Irish Channels. Press it again for Freesat. Press Analogue for terrestrial. I made out a channel list with Numbers for the wife and she is happy.
    Hi steevie - you do know that you can move the RTENL channels from the 800's (where they end up if you have a UK postcode set up for the Freesat EPG)?
    I have mine set up - 1 RTE 1, 2 RTE2, 3 TV3, 4 TG4 etc. Just one number button push for the RTENL TV channels once you're in DTT mode. The Freesat channel numbers are dictated by Freesat, though, so you're stuck with 101, 102 etc., but this is consistent across all Freesat compatible boxes.
    It's an excellent telly. I'm well impressed with the pic quality and it works with various media players through the ethernet connection. I've used Windows Media Centre (Win 7), PS3 Media Server, Foobar 2000 - but that's for a different forum!

winston_1 wrote: »
    What is this hack? Is it documented somewhere?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=69166612&postcount=54

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Verso

I see that Lidl have a 32 inch TV with MPEG4 tuner advertised in their latest catologue for €349.99.

Maybe someone in Lidl's is at last reading posts in Boards!

fat-tony wrote: »
    Hi steevie - you do know that you can move the RTENL channels from the 800's (where they end up if you have a UK postcode set up for the Freesat EPG)?
    I have mine set up - 1 RTE 1, 2 RTE2, 3 TV3, 4 TG4 etc. Just one number button push for the RTENL TV channels once you're in DTT mode. The Freesat channel numbers are dictated by Freesat, though, so you're stuck with 101, 102 etc., but this is consistent across all Freesat compatible boxes.
    It's an excellent telly. I'm well impressed with the pic quality and it works with various media players through the ethernet connection. I've used Windows Media Centre (Win 7), PS3 Media Server, Foobar 2000 - but that's for a different forum!
    Hi Fat-Tony. Thanks for the info. I have 1RTE1,2 RTE2, 3 Tv3, 4 TG4, 5 RTE News,and 6 3e set up ok but the freesat channels are 341 BBC1, 342 BBC2, 721 UTV, etc.
    Can these channel numbers be changed to 101 BBC1 etc. just like on the Sky Boxes? The set up manual is crap.

Verso wrote: »
    I see that Lidl have a 32 inch TV with MPEG4 tuner advertised in their latest catologue for €349.99.

Link ???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

Hi Fat-Tony. Thanks for the info. I have 1RTE1,2 RTE2, 3 Tv3, 4 TG4, 5 RTE News,and 6 3e set up ok but the freesat channels are 341 BBC1, 342 BBC2, 721 UTV, etc.
    Can these channel numbers be changed to 101 BBC1 etc. just like on the Sky Boxes? The set up manual is crap.
    You are missing the main selling point of this TV;)
    It has a full Freesat (that is the real Freesat brand) programme guide (EPG) when you set the country to the UK. Otherwise you are getting FTA (Free to Air) programming, same as any common or garden satellite receiver and you have to do re-scans whenever new channels are added or moved.

What you need to do to get proper Freesat is to do a re-install and set your country to UK and put in a UK postcode. If you specifically want BBC Northern Ireland and UTV at position 101 and 103, then put in a Belfast post code. I'm not a fan of UTV, so I use a London postcode (W1A 1AA - quite well known location in central London!). I think if you use an NI postcode you may have issues with getting ITV1 HD, but I'm not 100% sure. Try the London code initially, you can always change it and re-scan if you want to see Wales or Scotland or Granada regions in the main 101, 102, 103 positions.

When you do a satellite re-scan with a UK postcode (which is much quicker than the free-to-air scan as it only looks at the Freesat transponders), you will get the BBCs, ITVs and Channel 4s, news channels, film channels in a logical order by genre. You won't get SKY News as it is not part of Freesat, but you will get plenty of content. What you miss in comparison to SKY is the premium sports channels naturally, but it's a pretty decent spread of free stuff supported by a full 7 day EPG.

Setting a UK postcode does cause the Irish DTT channels to be put into the 800's, but it's trivial to move the 17 or so TV and radio channels into 1, 2, 3 order.

Try it - you might like it:)

As regards the manual, I found it ok, but I'm used to reading really crap manuals that come with cheapo satellite receivers;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,272 ✭✭✭Deedsie

The Cush wrote: »
    This is the latest list - http://saorview.ie/receiving.html

Other manufacturers will probably in time be added to the list once they submit their products and pass the compliance testing process.

Can we not just look at the spec on the walker tvs and take it from there that any Philipa tv for example will work just as well. I want to buy a tv before Christmas, but I am apprehensive to purchase in case it won't be able to use the interactive options. Is mheg 5 all that is needed? Is there any 19" to 32" HD Ready tv under €250 that will definitely be compatible with Saorview?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,511 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Deedsie wrote: »
    Can we not just look at the spec on the walker tvs and take it from there that any Philipa tv for example will work just as well. I want to buy a tv before Christmas, but I am apprehensive to purchase in case it won't be able to use the interactive options. Is mheg 5 all that is needed? Is there any 19" to 32" HD Ready tv under €250 that will definitely be compatible with Saorview?

If the Walker range of Saorview certified receivers don't suit your requirements a "freeview-HD" certified receiver is the next safest bet and will receive the Irish DTT channels with MHEG-5.

There are other non Saorview / non freeview-HD certified receivers that do MPEG-4 with or without MHEG-5 but there is no single list, basically down to your own research or what peeople have posted here on the boards. This thread is active at the moment - http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056096032.

Advertisement