Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return of the King

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭cardio,shoot me

Good stuff boss! how heavy are you atm?
    100kg x 5 x 10 looks pretty damn tiring :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

didn't do 5 sets at 100kg. Instead I took off 5kg on each boring but big set, so it went 100kg, 95kg, 90kg, 85kg, 80kg. Was banjaxed after it! :pac: Thanks though.

Think I lost a tiny bit of weight over xmas due to not eating as much as normal. Haven't weighed myself first thing in the morning yet so not sure. I'd guess I'm somewhere around 78kg.

are you trying to lose or gain atm?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,493 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Right now I'm focused on just finishing out cycle 6 week 3 and will probably have a gentle deload week after.

I'm moving to Australia on Jan 20th so getting ready for that is taking priority over training/stuffing myself. Once I get settled in there (early Feb?) I'll probably start eating more and hitting 531 hard again.

I've added in the cardio recently because I'll be arriving down under in the midst of the Australian summer. I want to be a bit fitter/leaner for running/swimming/cycling outdoors.

and for the beach :D

• Advertisement

Sunday January 10th: 531 Cycle 6 Week 3 Bench Press (13:30pm-14:50pm)

Shoulder Dislocates (band)
    3x10

Pull Apart (band)
    3x10

Bench Press
    40kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x5
    79kg - 1x3
    89kg - 1x1 ... prescribed reps = 1
    60kg - 1x10 ... boring but big
    50kg - 1x10
    40kg - 1x10
    30kg - 1x10
    20kg - 1x10
    ---
    Pull Ups (wide grip)
    BW+10kg - 5x5 ... dodgy & weak
    BW - 1x10 ... bit better, still weak

Calf Raise
    30kg DB per arm - 5x15
    ---
    External Rotation (pulley)
    1.25kg per arm - 3x10

Face Pull
    11.25kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    Row 5 mins (1130m)
    ---

Nothing to report. Went for prescribed reps and got them. Didn't push for more. Felt super weak on the pull ups.

Wednesday January 13th: 531 Cycle 6 Week 3 Squat (6:30am-7:30am)

Bird-dogs
    2x10 per side
    ---
    Shoulder dislocates (band)
    ~5-6 x10

Pull Apart (band)
    ~5-6 x10
    ---
    Squat
    air - 1x5
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    62kg - 1x5
    73kg - 1x3
    93kg - 1x5
    105kg - 1x1 ... failed on 2nd. Prescribed reps = 3
    105kg - 1x1 ... again failed on 2nd. Prescribed reps = 3 i.e. repeating the above set
    118kg ... didn't bother. It would have been a 3kg pb attempt. Logging it here for the sake of completeness
    60kg - 5x10 ... boring but big. Used a light weight and bust them out quickly
    ---
    Ab Pull Down ... supersets with boring but big
    28kg - 1x15
    38kg - 1x15
    48kg - 3x10 ... full stack
    ---
    Stiff Leg Deadlift
    60kg - 3x8
    ---
    Run 1km (5:45, ~90 cals) ... slowly. Legs knackered from squat
    ---

That is it. 6 cycles of 531 and my progress only fell apart on the very last day.

Felt like puking during the ab pull downs.

Training/eating/sleep has taken a back seat the past few weeks so I cannot complain --> finding a tenant, training my replacements, the snow, etc. Yesterday I ate next to nothing.

The next week before heading to Oz will be a bit of a deload and a bit of messing around if I make it to the gym. May try Fran, test my pull up max in 1 minute.... or chillax.

For my own reference I'm attaching the following:
    • 531 summary for cycles 1 to 6 including all reps and boring but big sets.
    • 531 calculations for cycles 7 to 12.

I'm rather excited looking at cycles 7 to 12. If all goes to plan I should have a ~170kg deadlift by June. Another 6 months from July to Dec and it could go even higher.

The deadlift and military press went well in cycles 1 to 6. I added 18kg to my deadlift (132kg --> 150kg) and over 5kg to the military press (I say "over 5kg" because I'm not sure exactly what it was before I started. It was between 55kg & a dodgy 60kg). Got it up to 65kg x1 and 63kg x2). I will probably stick with the same assistance on both of those lifts.

Bench and Squat make require a slight rethink on the assistance work. Progress on these lifts was slower. I added 5kg to my bench (90kg --> 95kg) and 10kg to my squat (105kg --> 115kg) over the first 6 cycles. I'm thinking more dips and dumbbell work for the bench. Squat may just require more food.

I'm also looking forward to resetting my 531 max. I could do with a couple of easy months right now.

All of the above obviously dependent on sticking with 531. If it ain't broke, etc... There is one other thing I'm going to investigate too before deciding on 531 for definite.

I may just jump straight in to cycle 7 in the next day or two instead of trying Fran as mentioned in my previous post. Had some woeful quad DOMS since last squatting session, so postponed todays session. The deadlift 100kg x10 boring but big sets were too much over a week ago and I still haven't recovered. Got a bit of a cold recently which may be related.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

The next few cycles look good Boss!

Looking forward to seeing how you get on.

Just a quick point re bench. I've found the best assistance exercise for it to be rowing.. be it machine rows or inverted rows. The stronger I've become in the rowing has allowed me handle more weight on the bar and actually feel like I can handle more too! Just something to consider.

I'm still unsure with the 531 squat myself. It seems to work amazingly well for some but not for others. You could try Kevpants suggestion of additional volume (check his log I cant remember the specifics).

Or just do Smolov for your squat:cool:

id agree with brutus on bench, ive basically been whoring upper back work and its doing wonders for my bench. ie: went from a touch and go 70kg bench to a 87.5kg paused one

• Advertisement

Sunday January 17th: (10:30am- 11:40am) Messing about

Bike 2km ... warm up
    ---
    45kg Thrusters / Kipping Pull Ups
    7 / 7
    3 / 7
    2 / 7
    death
    ---
    20kg Thrusters / Kipping Pull Ups
    ~ 6 sets of 7 / 7 with breaks
    ---
    Barbell Curl
    20kg - 1x7, 1x8, 1x9

One Leg Calf Raise (holding weight same side as worked calf)
    20kg - 3x10
    ---
    Lateral Raise
    7kg per arm - 3x5

DB Bench
    12.5kg per arm - 1x5
    20kg per arm - 2 x5
    ---
    Face Pull
    11kg - 2x10

External Rotation
    1.25kg - 2x10
    ---

Today I was planning a full Fran attempt. No chance. My thruster technique needs more practice at lighter weight, hence the second attempts with only the bar.

On the 45kg thrusters the bar was resting on my finger tips so I was loosing a solid base and not getting the transfer of power from the leg drive. It turned into a more or less strict press once legs were extended.

The 20kg thrusters felt ok. Kipping wasn't too bad. Got well over the bar. Lots of blisters from all those sets. After about 5 reps I loose momentum and have to restart the swing. Need to practice more often.

All those thrusters and kipping pull ups had me in a heap and I was fit to go home but struggled on with other lighter stuff.

Some fellow (who does crossfit) came over and gave me a few pointers on thrusters and kipping pull up technique. He reckoned I should keep the bar closer to my neck on the thrusters and bend more from the hips on the kipping.

I am currently reading Brawn by Stuart McRobert. That is where I got the idea for the one leg calf raise. Most of the routines he proposes contain a calf workout on at least 2 of 3 days. I have previously trained calfs on just 1 of 4 days. I'm planning to increase the frequency to 50%.

He has a lot of good stuff to say (which you probably already know) but it bears repeating. i.e. there is no point working on definition and "bodybuilding" unless you have hunks of muscle around your thighs / butt / lower back from squat and deadlift variations. He refers to the "look of power" being strong back / traps on which everything else can be built. I found it funny where he refers to the "sham of a body" with big chest & arms and no glutes / legs.

He also writes about the important of direct neck work. I've only a few pages to go but he hasn't specified exactly what to do to train the neck (apart from pushing against resistance added by your hand).

He recommends using stiff leg deadlift weight close to your squat weight. Do the stiff leg deadlifts straight after the squats and eat loads and watch the muscle grow. That is kinda what I have been doing on squat day... but I need to increase the stiff leg deadlift weight a bit to come closer to the squat weight.

Just a quick point re bench. I've found the best assistance exercise for it to be rowing.. be it machine rows or inverted rows. The stronger I've become in the rowing has allowed me handle more weight on the bar and actually feel like I can handle more too! Just something to consider.

I was hoping the one arm db row, weighted pullups & weighted chins would be enough back work along with the face pulls. I may try your suggestion and drop the one arm db row and replace it with barbell rows and see if that helps the bench. It should also reduce the time required by half which is handy too.
    I'm still unsure with the 531 squat myself. It seems to work amazingly well for some but not for others. You could try Kevpants suggestion of additional volume (check his log I cant remember the specifics).

I remember Kevpants suggestion alright and will check it out again.

A drawback with 531 squat and bench is that I seem to spend most of the time warming up with sets that feel "too light" rather than getting down to the heavier stuff sooner. The one hour in the squat rack dosen't seem justified. Hopefully my new gym will have more than one rack so I don't feel too rushed.... or better still maybe I'll get a house with a shed for a home gym like Podge!
    Or just do Smolov for your squat:cool:

Do you have details of smolov? i.e. a handy excel file or something like that?
    id agree with brutus on bench, ive basically been whoring upper back work and its doing wonders for my bench. ie: went from a touch and go 70kg bench to a 87.5kg paused one

Thanks for the input both!

Note to anyone reading - I still recommend 531. The above are just minor points.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭brutusthebarber

BossArky wrote: »
    I was hoping the one arm db row, weighted pullups & weighted chins would be enough back work along with the face pulls. I may try your suggestion and drop the one arm db row and replace it with barbell rows and see if that helps the bench. It should also reduce the time required by half which is handy too.

I remember Kevpants suggestion alright and will check it out again.

A drawback with 531 squat and bench is that I seem to spend most of the time warming up with sets that feel "too light" rather than getting down to the heavier stuff sooner. The one hour in the squat rack dosen't seem justified. Hopefully my new gym will have more than one rack so I don't feel too rushed.... or better still maybe I'll get a house with a shed for a home gym like Podge!

Do you have details of smolov? i.e. a handy excel file or something like that?

Thanks for the input both!

Note to anyone reading - I still recommend 531. The above are just minor points.

Smolov Excel http://www.joeskopec.com/Smolov.xls

I'd hit inverted rows over Barbell rows but that's just me. Whichever you feel you get the most work out of. Weighted Pull ups and Inverted rows, with face pulls is what I would go for.

If your new gym has a chest supported row I would hit that every bench session. 3-5 sets of 10. Seriously, has worked wonders!!

Yeah I know what you mean with the squat, which is why I ran a squat program. Now I'll run a few more cycles with 531 and see how it goes.

Good luck with the new cycles and the new life in Oz:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,981 ✭✭✭✭Hanley

This is usually what I use for Smolov; http://joeskopec.com/smolov.html

It really has done incredible things for my squat, so I definitely recommend it if you want to improve that!

Hanley wrote: »
    This is usually what I use for Smolov; http://joeskopec.com/smolov.html

Nice one. I'll take a look at this and decide in a week or two.

45kg Thrusters / Kipping Pull Ups
    7 / 7

Here is a video of the first set from yesterday. The angle isn't great for the thrusters. This is the first chance I've had to record my kipping. In later sets I removed the step and swung more from the hips with legs straighter. Seemed to get a better swing that way.

Monday January 25th:

Bench Press
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x4
    ---
    DB Bench
    22.5kg per arm - 3x10 ... keeping dbs wide apart at top
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x5
    120kg - 2x5 ... second set with belt
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x4 ... failed here going for 5. Was trying new technique
    ---
    Chins
    1x12
    ---

Joined a powerlifting club here in Melbourne. Today was first time with the coach going up in sets of 5 so he could find out where I was at. Not exactly on top form due to recent illness, sun burn and general disorientation :pac:

Back to it on Thursday evening. Positive first impression.

• Registered Users Posts: 968 ✭✭✭Chet Zar

Monday January 25th:

Bench Press
    60kg - 1x5
    70kg - 1x5
    75kg - 1x4
    ---
    DB Bench
    22.5kg per arm - 3x10 ... keeping dbs wide apart at top
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x5
    120kg - 2x5 ... second set with belt
    ---
    Squat
    60kg - 1x5
    80kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x4 ... failed here going for 5. Was trying new technique
    ---
    Chins
    1x12
    ---

Joined a powerlifting club here in Melbourne. Today was first time with the coach going up in sets of 5 so he could find out where I was at. Not exactly on top form due to recent illness, sun burn and general disorientation :pac:

Back to it on Thursday evening. Positive first impression.

Howdy Boss, the artist formerly known as Celestial here, had to get a new username! You out in Oz permanently then? You'll be able to train on the beach now :cool:

Hey Celestial - couldn't you have just reset the password? :D

Yeah - I'm in Oz permanently now. Lots of outdoors stuff planned: swimming, cycling and running, etc.

Thursday January 27th:

Run ~2km from the Angel to South Yarra

• Advertisement

Thursday January 28th:

Warm Ups:
    • foam rolling
    • band pull aparts 2x10
    • shoulder dislocates 2x10
    • bird dogs 2x10
    ---
    Bench Press
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x6
    55kg - 1x3
    60kg - 3x6
    ---
    Lying Twists 3 x failure ... which was less than the prescribed 10 reps per set. Painful exercise
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x6
    85kg - 1x5
    100kg - 1x3
    110kg - 3x6 ... felt heavy
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x6
    60kg - 3x6
    ---
    Pull Ups (wide grip)
    2x8
    1x5

Glute Ham Raise
    3x10
    ---
    Sit ups (decline)
    3x10
    ---

Based upon feedback I have changed the following:

my bench setup --> much wider feet, body way further down bench towards feet, wider grip, touch further down chest - was too hight before. Apparently it is better now. Slight increase in speed as getting closer to depth to get rebound up.

my squat --> ensure fingers are wrapped fully around bar. Didn't realise I wasn't really holding it properly before. Slight increase in speed as getting closer to depth to get rebound up.

my deadlift --> hold chest up a lot more before even starting the lift. I'm letting my backside come up too early all the time making it a two part movement.

Weights are all still light to work on technique. Need to get eating more. I was asked when I would hit 100kg. I thought he meant on the bench... no... he meant bodyweight...!

edit - glute ham raise rocks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭Molly

They don't rock the next day :)

Saturday January 30th:

Swimming in the Sea :D ~ 30 mins

Sunday January 31st:

Soccer 5 a side - cancelled due to heat --> turned into a 2 pints team meeting instead

Monday February 1st:

Bench Press
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x6
    60kg - 1x3
    65kg - 3x6
    ---
    DB Bench Press
    22.5kg per arm - 3x10
    ---
    EZ Curls
    24kg - 3x10
    ---
    Lying Tricep Extension (EZ bar)
    14kg - 3xfail ... which was supposed to be 10 each
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x6
    70kg - 3x6
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x6
    62.5kg - 1x3
    72.5kg - 3x6
    ---
    Glute Ham Raise ... from here down just warming down and talking
    3x10

Pull Ups
    3x5

Lying Twist
    3x5-10
    ---

Thursday February 5th:

Warm Ups:
    • foam rolling
    • band pull aparts 2x10
    • shoulder dislocates 2x10
    • bird dogs 2x10
    ---
    Narrow Grip Bench (elbows touching sides)
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    55kg - 3x5 ... easy. Working on technique
    ---
    Lying Twists (lying on floor braced between squat rack)
    ~3x10 ... these kill me
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    90kg - 1x3
    105kg - 1x2
    117.5g - 3x5 ... better than recent deadlifting. Focus on keeping chest up, hips high and shoulders over bar
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    55kg - 3x5 ... easy. Working on technique
    ---
    Chin Up (shoulder width grip)
    BW - 1x12
    BW - 2x8

Decline Situp
    3x10
    ---

As you can see I'm still pottering away with light enough weights on squat and bench to improve technique. Even though the weights are light enough it is pretty tiring doing the 3 big lifts twice a week.

There is a competition on Feb 20th which my coach wants me to compete in for the experience. After that I will start a dedicated program of around 10 to 15 weeks (depending on next compeition date) starting off at 3x10 going to 3x8, 3x6, 3x5, 2x2 as the weeks go by and the weights ramp up. Deadlift alternates between heavy and light, same with bench and squat. Will then be training 3 days a week: Mon, Thurs, Fri.

The problem in Australia is that both raw and equipped compeititors are lumped into the one competition, so if you compete raw you will be up against people in deadlift / squat suits and bench shirts.

I can't believe you turned into a powerlifter. This is awesome!!

And don't be a pussy, compete. Caring and boasting about where you place is for internet glory hunters :p

Monday February 8th:

Warm Ups:
    • bird dogs 1x10
    • shoulder dislocates 1x10
    • band pull aparts 1x10
    ---
    Bench
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    65kg - 1x2
    70kg - 3x5
    ---
    DB Bench
    25kg per arm - 3x6
    ---
    Lying Tricep Extension
    EZ bar + 20kg - 1x6 ... bit too heavy for proper form
    EZ bar + 10kg - 2x6 ... better form
    ---
    Curls
    EZ bar + 12.5kg - 3x6 ... easy
    ---
    Deadlift
    60kg - 1x5
    75kg - 3x5
    ---
    Squat
    20kg - 1x5
    50kg - 1x5
    60kg - 1x3
    70kg - 1x2
    80kg - 3x5
    ---

Feedback today:
    • Bench was good.
    • Bring stance in a bit closer on the squat. Otherwise fine.

Hanley wrote: »
    I can't believe you turned into a powerlifter. This is awesome!!

Me + Powerlifter in same sentence = Lol :)

That reminds me I need to ring some fellow about getting a "soft suit" and some kind of heel-less shoes.

• Advertisement

Me + Powerlifter in same sentence = Lol :)

That reminds me I need to ring some fellow about getting a "soft suit" and some kind of heel-less shoes.

They want you to squat close stance in heeless shoes....?

Advertisement