Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

''Next'' friday - when is it?

Options
  • 08-12-2009 1:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭

This always bothered me. I I say 'next customer', 'take the next left' or 'the next time...', I do not mean the one after next. No rational person would. Equally, next friday should mean this coming friday, 11/12.

Why do people, when it comes to dates, think that next = the one after next? Is it a culchie thing?

When is ''Next'' Friday? 107 votes

This coming friday
    0% 0 votes
    The friday after this coming friday
    100% 107 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Next Friday is the Friday coming.

Friday week is the following Friday. Its pretty simple really.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Next = not this one, the one after.
    Like Friday week.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭Turd Ferguson

I agree and when I say "next Friday" I mean this coming Friday, but I asked some guy about why he used it in the other way and he said he means next Friday like Friday next week. Weird

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

This Friday = 11/12
    The Next Friday = 18/12

and usually the 'the' gets dropped, as we are want to do, leading to it being "Next Friday".

Its pretty simple really.

and now I've used the word 'next' so much it's lost all meaning, cheers banquo.
    Don't worry, Macbeth will deal with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

Kiera wrote: »
    Next Friday is the Friday coming.

Friday week is the following Friday. Its pretty simple really.

Exactly!

I try to avoid saying "Next Friday" Because it causes confusion.

This morning i said "Next Wednesday" and my friend said "Tomorrow"?

My fault i guess, but doesnt he think i'd have said Tomorrow instead? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

But you can say - "I'm going to the pub on Friday" with no qualifier of next and people will know exactly what you mean. So the addition of next should logically mean something different.

Your examples all require a qualifier of next for them to make sense, so in a way you have disproved your own argument.

Note: The above may or not be gibberish and will probably be torn apart by anybody giving this 2 minutes thought

• Registered Users Posts: 1,608 ✭✭✭Victor_M

Next:
    following: immediately following in time or order; "the following day"; "next in line"; "the next president"; "the next item on the list"

Next Friday is 3 days away (today being Tuesday), this is not a confusing concept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

I say 'this' Friday.

And to not add to confusion I'll say not this Friday but the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,824 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

For me it's:

Next Friday = Friday coming

Friday after that = Friday week, or the following Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

This is one of the things that seriously annoys me.

The eleventh of December, is THIS Friday. This week. This month. This year.

The eighteenth of December, is NEXT Friday. Next week. Next month. Next year.

I cannot understand why people say things like "Friday week" or "The coming Friday".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭dub_skav

Victor_M wrote: »
    Next:
    following: immediately following in time or order; "the following day"; "next in line"; "the next president"; "the next item on the list"

Next Friday is 3 days away (today being Tuesday), this is not a confusing concept.

The next president meaning not this one but the one after, the next item on the list meaning not this one but the one after.
    So, if people accept that the term "this Friday" makes sense, then logically next Friday must mean the one after this friday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Friday

Next Friday

Isn't Friday a wierd word when you look at it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Victor_M wrote: »
    Next:

Quite correct.

The fact that some gimps might think that it is the Friday after next should not be your concern

If those people want to use their own language and grammar, well ,hey, better off without them.

Cannot understand how this stupid concept came from.

Like those frikken Doobs who can't say 't'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Next Friday isn't this one, is it!?!
    This Friday.
    Next Friday.
    Simples.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The closer you are to Friday the more likely 'next Friday' is the Friday of the following week. If you said it on Thursday, I imagine most people would understand it to mean in 8 days time.

And Flut, put away that apostrophe will you before you have someone's eye out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

Quite correct.

The fact that some gimps might think that it is the Friday after next should not be a concern of your's.

If those people want to use their own language and grammar, well ,hey, better off without them.

Cannot understand how this stupid concept came from.

Like those frikken Doobs who can't say 't'.

I 100% agree, it's just fooking annoying when you tell someone that you're doing something "next friday", and they reply, "you lazy bastard, why do you've to wait a week", and i'm like, LOLWOT.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

It's not simple. You can't use the word next to mean one thing in every circumstance other than time.

Next customer.
    Take the next left.
    Next time this happens, boy...
    The next song is...

These all mean the one immediatly coming. But oh no, when it comes to a coming day we've got this 'simple rule of ''well, actually, in this one particular instance next actually means the one after next''. How can next mean one after next?!

Messed up, circular reasoning at its worst tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

K-Ren wrote: »

I cannot understand why people say things like "Friday week" or "The coming Friday".

No it isn't. The next friday that happens, i.e. the next time it will be friday, is friday the 11nth. Do we discount this friday for some reason? Or is there a hidden, magic friday between now and then that I don't know about?

It's the next friday that happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,305 ✭✭✭DOC09UNAM

banquo wrote: »
    No it isn't. The next friday that happens, i.e. the next time it will be friday, is friday the 11nth. Do we discount this friday for some reason? Or is there a hidden, magic friday between now and then that I don't know about?

If i was to say next friday the 13th for instance, would it be the next friday the 13th?? or the one after that, :confused::confused:

some people are just set in their ways and wont listen to reason anyway!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I say "this Friday" for a few days from now, and "next Friday" for the following Friday. I know it doesn't make sense, I must be mental.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I'd guess that the next refers to the week rather than the day:

This Friday - the Friday in this week
    Next Friday - the Friday in the next week

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Oh this wrecks my head,when i say next Friday i mean the 18, not in 3 days time, thats THIS friday! if i say "we'll do that next friday" that means the week after next, otherwise i'd just say "we'll do that friday"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭uncleoswald

DOC09UNAM wrote: »
    I 100% agree, it's just fooking annoying when you tell someone that you're doing something "next friday", and they reply, "you lazy bastard, why do you've to wait a week", and i'm like, LOLWOT.

Why wouldn't you just say you are doing something "on Friday" or "this Friday"?

Do we all agree at least that when someone say "the Friday next" they mean the Friday after the next one?

Stupid language.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭K-Ren

It's this Friday! The Friday of this week. Last week had last Friday. Next Friday will contain the next Friday.

It's a simple system. If you'll cleave to my consent, we 'tis, it shall make honor for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Depends on what day it is. If it's Saturday or Sunday then next Friday is the Friday coming up soonest.

However if it's Monday, Tue, Wed or Thurs then next Friday is the one for the following week and This Friday is the one for this week.

Basically Next Friday is the Friday for the following week and not the current week, even if it's Saturday or Sunday.

Not saying it's right, but it's how it works in my head.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,002 ✭✭✭Wossack

so theres certainly some ambiguity with 'next friday'

whats the consensus on 'friday next'?

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

At the start of this thread I was happy that this was finally been sorted, now though, I feel conflustered :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

"Next Friday" is the 4th of December, "Friday week" is the Friday after.

People using "first floor" instead of "ground floor" also annoys me-we're not in America!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

K-Ren wrote: »

The eighteenth of December, whilst certainly being next week, is still this month, this year....

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Is it a culchie thing?

It is idiocy in general.

Advertisement