Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Waterford's Nightlife megathread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

I vote to ban the word "begrudgery" from this thread. It's getting annoying. Just because one of us doesn't agree with a bar or nightclub's promotion, it is not begrudgery. Use a new goddamn word.

Feck that - if we all just believed everything we're told, all the time, there'd be no begrudgery no more. Off with you and your stop-gap solutions :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

Is a double vodka and coke one drink or 3?

Mason's are offering drinks for €3. So to get your money's worth from this offer you need to buy 10 drinks.

Its actively promoting binge drinking. That's what I don't like about it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

dayshah wrote: »
    Is a double vodka and coke one drink or 3?

Mason's are offering drinks for €3. So to get your money's worth from this offer you need to buy 10 drinks.

Its actively promoting binge drinking. That's what I don't like about it.

I'd imagine is two of the €3 promotion. As they'd do very well to charge €3 for a coke ya know? so my guess on the night it would cost €8.50ish which still is far from bad.

However if it is "one drink at a time" Harveys won't sell you a double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

ziedth wrote: »
    I'd imagine is two of the €3 promotion. As they'd do very well to charge €3 for a coke ya know? so my guess on the night it would cost €8.50ish which still is far from bad.

However if it is "one drink at a time" Harveys won't sell you a double.

Just order a drink and go to another staff member straight away and get another :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,989 ✭✭✭iseegirls

Anyone go into Harvey's last night? Be interesting to see if many or any took up the offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Is the promotion even live yet? I thought the Facebook post was just testing the waters. They'd need to promote it in all the media before it goes live. Otherwise people would get quite a shock when they go up to the door and are asked for €30!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

AdMMM wrote: »
    Is the promotion even live yet? I thought the Facebook post was just testing the waters. They'd need to promote it in all the media before it goes live. Otherwise people would get quite a shock when they go up to the door and are asked for €30!

People get a shock being asked for €2.00:)

From the Harvey's facebook page.
    What do you think!!!????
    Every SUNDAY NIGHT 30 euro Entry and an open Bar all Night LONG!!!
    THATS 3 hours of an open bar!! 10pm-1am

I think its highly irresponsible. To get your money's worth you have to buy 10 drinks over 3 hours.

That is firmly into binge drinking territory. I'm sure some people can handle that, but this is encouraging people who can't handle it to over indulge.

I'm all in favour of €3 drinks and value for customers, but this is just reckless.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Isn't there laws against that type of thing?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

I'd be tempted to go for it simply because no one else will pay it.

Pay the €30, go in, get drinks in ya, run around the empty place making airplane noises and every now and then skid around on your knees like a child.

I'd pay €30 to do that in a club.

• Advertisement

Sully wrote: »

I know Mason's were sanctioned for there 'stock price' promotion, where the price of drinks went up and down according to demand, just like the stock market. I thought that was just bit of fun, and didn't directly promote binge drinking.

I think they were just sanctioned by the self regulatory body though, rather than the law.

Anyway, the Gardaí have broad powers to object to a late licence each week, so I think they definitely should in this case.

I'd be tempted to go for it simply because no one else will pay it.

Pay the €30, go in, get drinks in ya, run around the empty place making airplane noises and every now and then skid around on your knees like a child.

I'd pay €30 to do that in a club.

What music would you request while making your airplane noises? Anyway, up till recently I though you could do that in the Foundry for just €10 :D

dayshah wrote: »
    What music would you request while making your airplane noises?
    I thought it was obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Sully wrote: »

The law is only to prevent happy-hour type promotions. It's against the law to sell drink for a lower price than it was previously available for the same day. There's no restrictions afaik on giving away drink.

It does strike me as irresponsible though, especially for a 3 hour time-frame. I think it would be no harm to make RSA certification mandatory for bar-staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Musicman2000

Looks like the Promo is on a Friday night now in Harveys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭few cans?

30 euro for an open bar all night sounds a right job.. i would see it as a challenge.. drink as much as possible.. make a personal profit...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

If the promotion was aimed at getting more people out, then I think having it on a Sunday would have been a better idea.

I really doubt they've thought this through properly.

Adyx wrote: »
    The law is only to prevent happy-hour type promotions. It's against the law to sell drink for a lower price than it was previously available for the same day. There's no restrictions afaik on giving away drink.

It does strike me as irresponsible though, especially for a 3 hour time-frame. I think it would be no harm to make RSA certification mandatory for bar-staff.

But can't the Gardaí object to their late licence on public order grounds. It would be a way for the authorities to get around the lack of a specific ban.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

So thinking about this logically:

€30 into Harveys from 11-1 that's 3 hours drinking time (at best) so going by Masons as nearest competitor who sell drinks at €3 you want to be drinking 3 or 4 drinks an hour to "break even".

People who can't take their drink will get hammered off that so it does raise some ethical questions. However, for myself I'd be laughing cause even drinking at a session till 11 I would usually drink well above 4 drinks an hour.

But like that's been mentioned I would take it upon myself after a few drinks to try and make the most of the €30 and start doing shots and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

ziedth wrote: »
    So thinking about this logically:

€30 into Harveys from 11-1 that's 3 hours drinking time (at best) so going by Masons as nearest competitor who sell drinks at €3 you want to be drinking 3 or 4 drinks an hour to "break even".

People who can't take their drink will get hammered off that so it does raise some ethical questions. However, for myself I'd be laughing cause even drinking at a session till 11 I would usually drink well above 4 drinks an hour.

But like that's been mentioned I would take it upon myself after a few drinks to try and make the most of the €30 and start doing shots and so on.

Deleted me from the page for asking a simple question lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

Elbows22 wrote: »
    Deleted me from the page for asking a simple question lol

They some asses for doing that!! What rattled their cage? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

STIG83 wrote: »
    They some asses for doing that!! What rattled their cage? :confused:

A dose of realism probably. I see on their FB page they're also extending it to Friday nights. The T&C's are:
    1 drink at a time per person
    All spirits are served with splash
    All bottled beers are longneck
    No pint bottles of bulmers
    cocktails are included free
    shots are not included but can be purchased @ 4 for 10 euro!!
    All premium brand beers ,alchopops and spirits
    Strictly over 21's Neat dress essential

Also should have said it earlier but I personally want to slap anybody that thinks writing in all caps is good marketing.

Shots not included, no pint bottles of Bulmers?

STUPIDEST IDEA EVER

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Looks like the guy looking after the page is inexperienced in the PR & Marketing game, as well as the customer service game.

Rule #1 Answer all of your customer's queries.
    My own personal Rule #2 If you're writing in all caps you're 14 years of age and whatever you're saying is bullshit
    Daysha wrote: »
    A dose of realism probably. I see on their FB page they're also extending it to Friday nights. The T&C's are:

Also should have said it earlier but I personally want to slap anybody that thinks writing in all caps is good marketing.

;)

Have to say I think it's quite funny how "there's no catch!" becomes a list of terms and conditions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 SpudsO

Can you not see a good thing when it's hitting you in the face. Stop trying to damage the offer before anybody has even tried it. At least they are trying to do something new and cheap. Surely you can see that it's a really good deal...
    Of course they have to take shots and pint bottles out - they do have to make some money but they are also trying to save the customers money at the same time!!! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Cool story bro.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Santan

I pity the barstaff and the ****e they are going to have to listen to from this

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Mooley22

Santan wrote: »
    It can't be any worse then what we hear every other night in there lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

SpudsO wrote: »
    Can you not see a good thing when it's hitting you in the face. Stop trying to damage the offer before anybody has even tried it. At least they are trying to do something new and cheap. Surely you can see that it's a really good deal...
    Of course they have to take shots and pint bottles out - they do have to make some money but they are also trying to save the customers money at the same time!!! :)

It's not new, it's been done before. Just not to the same extent in Waterford. Realistically, if people are saving that much money by getting "free" drinks for 3 hours for €30, then they spend too much on drink.
    Also, obviously I'm slightly biased, but on Tuesdays Masons are quite happy to sell shots and pint bottles of Bulmers for €2.50.
    Santan wrote: »

These types of promotions are nightmare for staff because you have to try to explain to drunk people why they can't have this or that. It's virtually impossible to achieve consistency with staff. i.e Yes to this, no to that etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

I cant see the logic in moving it from Sunday to Friday, from a night they need to try and get people in to another which is not as bad.

People will always try to get more for their money, so they will just end up drinking way more than they can handle, making more work for the staff and possibly the emergency services. So reckless it's unbelievable.

Advertisement