Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark Souls

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

The feeling you get when you finally beat them is so worth it.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

Can't put this game down at the minute which is a pity because its exam season. I find the deeper into Dark Souls the better it gets. I am getting loads of new armor, weapons and my character is starting to become a bad ass.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Good lord. Tried the Darkroot Garden and got absolutely owned by one of those big armoured knight dudes. You always want to come back for more though. I cannot get over how well designed this game is.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,174 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Is there a good way to get yourself summoned for co-op does anyone know?

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭penev10

Is there a good way to get yourself summoned for co-op does anyone know?
    Being at the right level is the main thing. There are some hot-spots to be summoned also, usually just outside a boss chamber but there are others.

This is a decent guide:
    http://darksoulswiki.wikispaces.com/Guide+to+Co-operative+Play

Has recommended levels for areas etc.

• Advertisement

I'm at the point now where I killed the Moonlight Butterfly and am trying to kill the Hydra (without much success as of yet). I'm still using the Drake Sword. Could anyone tell me whether there are any better weapons than the Drake Sword that I could get at this point in time?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

which hydra?? there are 2

Arawn wrote: »
    which hydra?? there are 2

Oh. Well this one is in Darkroot Basin.

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Issac

danthefan wrote: »
    Could anyone tell me whether there are any better weapons than the Drake Sword that I could get at this point in time?
    It depends on stats and luck. If any of the three black knights you would have come across so far dropped a weapon and if you have the strength to wield them then you are in business. If you have the weapon but not the stats you could always
    access the area in Darkroot Garden leading to the hunters covenant/Sif by buying the crest of artorious from Andrei the blacksmith and farm souls until you get your strength up
    . Other than that I'm afraid the Drake is probably the best you will get for a while.

I'm at the point now where I killed the Moonlight Butterfly and am trying to kill the Hydra (without much success as of yet). I'm still using the Drake Sword. Could anyone tell me whether there are any better weapons than the Drake Sword that I could get at this point in time?
    You don't have to kill the Hydra, the Darkroot Basin is an optional area. It's usually recommended that first time players do the Lower Undead Burg, the Depths and Blighttown before going there.

By the time you finish those areas you should have found something more effective as your stats will be better and any upgraded weapon should scale from those stats.

If you let me know what build/stats you have I could probably be a bit more specific.

• Advertisement

penev10 wrote: »
    You don't have to kill the Hydra, the Darkroot Basin is an optional area. It's usually recommended that first time players do the Lower Undead Burg, the Depths and Blighttown before going there.

By the time you finish those areas you should have found something more effective as your stats will be better and any upgraded weapon should scale from those stats.

If you let me know what build/stats you have I could probably be a bit more specific.

I've done Lower Undead Burgh and the Depths. Haven't done Blighttown yet. Don't know my stats off the top of my head, think my Str is about 18 or 19, Dex about 15 or 16, stamina about the same, have put points into End too.

I've done Lower Undead Burgh and the Depths. Haven't done Blighttown yet. Don't know my stats off the top of my head, think my Str is about 18 or 19, Dex about 15 or 16, stamina about the same, have put points into End too.
    You almost have the stats to wield a Black Knight Sword one handed but getting a lucky drop is unlikely.

You should have come across the claymore by now (on the bridge with the dragon). If you upgrade that it would prove better than the Drake Sword. You could also two-hand the Zweihander (graveyard behind the Firelink Shrine).

To get a really hard hitting weapon you'll need to focus on upgrading a single stat and pick a weapon that scales with it. At the moment you have balanced enough stats and are leaning towards the STR stat. If you keep levelling that to 26 and get a Large Club in Blighttown (dropped from Infested Barbarian) you will kick ass. There are plenty of STR based weapons then later in the game to keep you interested.

You could still currently go down the INT (see guide in sig for getting a magic weapon) or FAI route which would also open up spells or miracles to use.

Thanks a lot.

Are there any decent spots for grinding souls this early in the game?

Edit - just checked in my bottomless box and what do I have but a Black Knight Sword. It needs 20 Str and 16 Dex, I'm on 19 and 14 respectively, so will get them up now I think.

If you haven't killed the Hellkite dragon, that's a decent farming spot. Just run up the stairs and he'll wipe out the hollows on the bridge, netting you 555 souls in the process.

H. H. Asquith

Thanks a lot.

Are there any decent spots for grinding souls this early in the game?

Edit - just checked in my bottomless box and what do I have but a Black Knight Sword. It needs 20 Str and 16 Dex, I'm on 19 and 14 respectively, so will get them up now I think.
    Getting summoned for the Gaping Dragon is a great way to easy souls early on. Sometimes you kill the giant rat and Kirk in the process for even more souls.

I'd be wary of unnecessarily raising your DEX but then again the Black Knight Sword is good fun if not super powerful. It has 2 really good R2 attacks which lunge at the opponent from a distance.

I am on a roll today. Managed to take down Seath, Nito and the four kings. I taught the four kings was going to give me trouble but I have loads of hp and just got stuck in and beat the ****e out of him. Looking forward to finishing and playing new game+.

Trying to kill Stray Demon. I don't do much damage so it's going to be a very long fight, I just keep making mistakes, getting impatient and running into his AoE attack from behind. Grrrrrr.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

I just tried summoning my first guy to help me out after seeing the sign on the ground. I then wandered around slowly exploring while he headed straight where I should be going massacring anything before I got near there. I caught up with him at the boss (the two gargoyles) where he was waiting for me. The fight started and then it was over as he wiped them out in an attack or two. I'm not even sure what he did. Is there any point in summoning other players if you're not having real trouble? I don't want someone to beat the game for me.

Morte wrote: »
    Is there any point in summoning other players if you're not having real trouble? I don't want someone to beat the game for me.
    Sometimes you can summon a real legend and others some cannon fodder. When its the former it can feel a bit like cheating. I haven't played in ages but I reckon the servers are full of complete pros at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Morte

I'll be avoiding them from now on so. It was just ridiculous. In fairness, I can't imagine it was any fun for him either.

Now to beat a hasty retreat from the Darkroot Basin and find these areas I'm supposed to have visited first :pac:.

• Advertisement

Sweet, killed Stray Demon and Hydra today. Went up that ladder by the Hydra and wandered around for a bit until some massive big wolfbear type thing killed me. Is there anything good up there?

Might head to Blighttown now.

And switched from Drake Sword to Black Knight Sword, it's doing far more damage.

Also, I once encountered a glowing bug type thing while going down into Darkroot Basin, I killed it and got some titanite, does it respawn ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Big Knox

Went up that ladder by the Hydra and wandered around for a bit until some massive big wolfbear type thing killed me. Is there anything good up there?

Might head to Blighttown now.

I miss Dark Souls. It's posts like these why I love the game. "I went to (insert name of random area) and got absolutely murdered by some big (insert endless list of massive enemies) so I ran away like a little girl to go and repeat the process somewhere else." :D

Sweet, killed Stray Demon and Hydra today. Went up that ladder by the Hydra and wandered around for a bit until some massive big wolfbear type thing killed me. Is there anything good up there?
    Nothing worth wasting time on at this stage in the game. Those mad cat things are lethal, probably one of the hardest enemies in the game imo.

Also, I once encountered a glowing bug type thing while going down into Darkroot Basin, I killed it and got some titanite, does it respawn ever?
    Must've been a Crystal Lizard. They're very rare and don't respawn (or is there a trick to get them to? After killing one try quiting and reloading, I think you might get another one)

penev10 wrote: »
    Nothing worth wasting time on at this stage in the game. Those mad cat things are lethal, probably one of the hardest enemies in the game imo.

Must've been a Crystal Lizard. They're very rare and don't respawn (or is there a trick to get them to? After killing one try quiting and reloading, I think you might get another one)

Grand, thanks. I decided to upgrade my Black Knight Sword a bit so was hoping to get some more of that Twinkling Titanite. Guess it's onward to Blighttown. I love this game so very much.

Completed the game today and decided to also start my new game + play through. What exactly gets harder in the new game+. I know their attacks are definitely stronger. Most of the early bosses I seem to be able to kill quickly since I have all my gear still. Also what happens when you turn the xbox off while being invaded because I was playing earlier and was about to go off when some fecker invaded me. :mad: I was afraid if I turned off the console I would get punished e.g lose some souls so I ended up having to bring the smackdown on his ass.

I decided to upgrade my Black Knight Sword a bit so was hoping to get some more of that Twinkling Titanite.
    It isn't exactly plentiful until later in the game but you will come across some every now and again. Theres a lizard on the stairs up to the Taurus Demon if you missed it.
    CrazyFish wrote: »
    Completed the game today and decided to also start my new game + play through. What exactly gets harder in the new game+.
    Enemies attack, defence and health all gets increased by anything up to 3X dependign on the enemy. Some of the later bosses in NG+ can one-hit you!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

ya have to wait till anor londo until you can get unlimited twinkling titanate.

for a very strong weapon , after blightown and when you ring the second bell, you will head to sens fortress. there is the lightening spear. its a great weapon till later in the game, in fact you are a bit over powered really. you can use it and block at the same time !! and has good damage.

so you are not really that far from things getting a bit easier (if that is how i can describe it !!).

2smiggy wrote: »
    for a very strong weapon , after blightown and when you ring the second bell, you will head to sens fortress. there is the lightening spear. its a great weapon till later in the game, in fact you are a bit over powered really. you can use it and block at the same time !! and has good damage.

so you are not really that far from things getting a bit easier (if that is how i can describe it !!).
    The lightening spear is a bit cheap alright but if you've been wise with your levelling, weapon and upgrades you should be wielding something similar by that stage anyways. A Magic Weapon or a B/A scaling STR weapon shold be giving you over 300 damage by then.

I think it's in there to help those who might be struggling at that stage. If you weren't familiar with the upgrading/scaling (like most who didn't play Demons Souls) or were unlucky with getting loot it would be a god send.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,942 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

ya , i had not played demons souls , so when i finally got the spear it was a great feeling. i was not too familiar with the upgrading of weapons either so i was still swinging the drake sword at that stage. it was not too bad against the lizard dudes, but the spear made a huge difference.

that been said, i did not use it for long, as soon after i got to grips with the whole upgrade system and was soon onto even more powerful weapons :D

on another note, i am 6/7 hours or so from finishing ng+ if i don't do too much messing around, i will start ng++ . but was wondering if it is worth it to join the dark wraiths ? i know there is 2 pathways to do so, i should have tried last playthrough but was too excited by the progress i was making i did not even think about it.

• Advertisement

If you join the Wraiths at a high level it will be tough to find people to invade as I think you can only invade those with a higher level than you.

I'd build a new character and try a speed run to the Lord Vessel and then join the Wraiths. I did it but decided to experiment with a DEX character which was a bad move (DEX characters are good at lower levels but get progressively worse. I think the likes of the Artorias swords etc are for people who made a DEX character and then realise there no point in pumping souls into DEX after about 25)

Advertisement