Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir rural FTTH thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

There is one advantage to the delay. Other countries ahead of us like Australia and the UK have tried primarily to rely on FTTC as their solution for rural areas. We do appear to be heading straight towards the 'once and for all time' solution of FTTH.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭davebuck

The blue line stops about 400mts from our house which is located with about 9 other houses and are the last houses in our exchange. i think most of the houses have phone lines will Eir look at situations like ours and cable FTTH to the remaining houses?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Quite probably the NBP (Government) will subsidise expansion out to your homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 greenhorn22

Just cehecked the map and the Blue line is on the main road. I am on a cul de sac about 50 meters from the main road (10 houses). I already have FTTC. What do you think my odds are of getting FTTH are?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,311 ✭✭✭rob808

ED E wrote: »
    Was that english?
    no it French smart ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

rob808 wrote: »
    no it French smart ass

No need for the personal attacks, Rob, some of your posts are genuinely difficult to understand.

He shouldn't go around insulting people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

Anyone want popcorn....seriously though rob, read your message before you submit..sometimes one has to reread a few times to understand...

pegasus1 wrote: »
    Anyone want popcorn....seriously though rob, read your message before you submit..sometimes one has to reread a few times to understand...
    That fine I agree with you there but still there no need for insults.

This from the Limerick Leader.

Deputy Niall Collins said on the campaign trail that high speed broadband was the single biggest issue raised with him on doorsteps.

“And by a distance. I welcome this announcement by Eir. It is good news for some parts of Limerick but many more locations need upgrading as soon as possible. There is huge frustration out there

I noticed that it was the first issue mentioned by the Healy Raes on the Late Late Show. There is a real head of steam behind this now. Only EIR not winning NBP can derail it at this point.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/204196/Eir-announce-Limerick-broadband-roll-out.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Gonzo wrote: »
    I can see both points of view. It is very positive that something is finally been done over the next year for good few rural locations that have had zero investment in broadband over past 10-15 years. Eir seem to be the only provider interested in really tackling the massive urban/rural divide that currently exists in this country. And many other rural locations will see further expansion of FTTH over the next 4 years.

Its the people who are just outside the rural blue lines who I feel really sorry for. I know what it feels like, I missed out on the FTTC rollout by less than a mile and that was a bitter pill to swallow so I can understand the negativity from those who are not on the rural blue lines. They have to wait for the NBP and after years of report writing there is still nobody picked for that so I can just imagine how long it's gonna take for the NBP to be finished.
    To be honest, if your property is not even on a blue line then it is very likely it is pretty remote, even by Irish one off development standards. The vast majority of ribbon development on the edges of towns will be covered by Eir commercially, which is in itself extraordinary. If you live even further out and have to wait for the NBP then well that's tough really. The fact there is an NBP is an amazing gift to those people who have (in most cases) simply chosen to live a certain lifestyle.

The fact is, ALL these FTTH rollouts (and indeed the FTTC and Cable Internet ones) are and were big infrastructural projects that take time but have been completed very speedily so far. We have 50/10 VDSL here in central Berlin. Cable internet has recently been made available in this building (100/10). We're moving out to a commuter town on the outskirts of Berlin, a town with a population of 13k. We bought a site centrally located in the town, 750m from the railway station, so we are not car dependent for our daily commutes. We can currently get 16/2 at that location and there is NO SIGN of this changing in the immediate future. Ireland and especially rural Ireland is going to have far superior broadband in short order than most (all?) major European cities and people are still complaining. I just have to shake my head in disbelief. If I knew we'd have gigabit internet in 5 years I'd be feckin delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

murphaph wrote: »
    The fact there is an NBP is an amazing gift to those people who have (in most cases) simply chosen to live a certain lifestyle.

I commend you for not sticking to the stereotype here in this forum that everyone living in the country does so by choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Roynie

I can see both points of view. It is very positive that something is finally been done over the next year for good few rural locations that have had zero investment in broadband over past 10-15 years. Eir seem to be the only provider interested in really tackling the massive urban/rural divide that currently exists in this country. And many other rural locations will see further expansion of FTTH over the next 4 years.

Its the people who are just outside the rural blue lines who I feel really sorry for. I know what it feels like, I missed out on the FTTC rollout by less than a mile and that was a bitter pill to swallow so I can understand the negativity from those who are not on the rural blue lines. They have to wait for the NBP and after years of report writing there is still nobody picked for that so I can just imagine how long it's gonna take for the NBP to be finished.

Our house is 1km away from the nearest blue line, but since the last time I looked it has crept a bit nearer. Hopefully it will get to me before I die of old age! :(

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Roynie wrote: »
    Our house is 1km away from the nearest blue line, but since the last time I looked it has crept a bit nearer. Hopefully it will get to me before I die of old age! :(

they have made changes to the blue lines on the map since first published?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,753 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

To be honest, if your property is not even on a blue line then it is very likely it is pretty remote, even by Irish one off development standards. The vast majority of ribbon development on the edges of towns will be covered by Eir commercially, which is in itself extraordinary. If you live even further out and have to wait for the NBP then well that's tough really. The fact there is an NBP is an amazing gift to those people who have (in most cases) simply chosen to live a certain lifestyle.

The fact is, ALL these FTTH rollouts (and indeed the FTTC and Cable Internet ones) are and were big infrastructural projects that take time but have been completed very speedily so far. We have 50/10 VDSL here in central Berlin. Cable internet has recently been made available in this building (100/10). We're moving out to a commuter town on the outskirts of Berlin, a town with a population of 13k. We bought a site centrally located in the town, 750m from the railway station, so we are not car dependent for our daily commutes. We can currently get 16/2 at that location and there is NO SIGN of this changing in the immediate future. Ireland and especially rural Ireland is going to have far superior broadband in short order than most (all?) major European cities and people are still complaining. I just have to shake my head in disbelief. If I knew we'd have gigabit internet in 5 years I'd be feckin delighted.

I hope my posts arent sounding negative, and if they are I dont mean them to be! My house is on a blue line and up till last week it was looking like a start date sometime between 2017 and 2020 but now its looking like a start date within the next 6-10 months so I am extremely great-full for such a service to be coming near an area like mine.

All I wished for originally was a cabinet in the area that would serve 60+ houses roughly giving 30-60 meg to most houses but what we are getting instead is a 1Gig FTTH, far beyond what I ever imagined would be available in an area such as this.

I think most of us who are on 1-10meg would be more than happy with 24-50meg for the next few years but what were getting is far, far, greater than that!

they have made changes to the blue lines on the map since first published?

Yes, last year the nearest blue line was down on the R460. Now it has turned off the main road and is 700 mtrs away in our road. Now there is 300mtrs down the farm track to the house not covered.

Roynie wrote: »
    Yes, last year the nearest blue line was down on the R460. Now it has turned off the main road and is 700 mtrs away in our road. Now there is 300mtrs down the farm track to the house not covered.

that's good to hear, I didnt realize they were updating that map over past few months. The blue lines in my area anyway are in exactly the same positions as the day they first published the blue lines.

that's good to hear, I didnt realize they were updating that map over past few months. The blue lines in my area anyway are in exactly the same positions as the day they first published the blue lines.

I'm just praying it will come that last half mile!

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭PaulRyan97

To be honest, if your property is not even on a blue line then it is very likely it is pretty remote, even by Irish one off development standards.

I'm on a main road 7 miles north of Cork City, none of it is covered by FTTC or FTTH, about 300 people living within a 10 minutes drive of the country's second largest city can get no better than 2-5mbps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

You guys and your fancy-pants blue lines ... X marks the spot where my village is, in the middle of one of the bigger blue line-less areas in the country. :(:(:(
    <sniff>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,396 ✭✭✭JohnC.

My house appears to have it's very own blue spur coming off the road and a little down a lane beside the house (it only leads to a field, not any houses) about as far as the middle of the house.

Come to think of it, it seems to come to the point the electricity enters the house, where the meter box is. The phone line comes from a pole at the other end of the house, but the electricity comes underground. Any chance they could be using electrical ducts instead of a pole drop in certain circumstances?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    You guys and your fancy-pants blue lines ... X marks the spot where my village is, in the middle of one of the bigger blue line-less areas in the country. :(:(:(
    <sniff>

To be fair, it does look very rural.
    JohnC. wrote: »
    My house appears to have it's very own blue spur coming off the road and a little down a lane beside the house (it only leads to a field, not any houses) about as far as the middle of the house.

Come to think of it, it seems to come to the point the electricity enters the house, where the meter box is. The phone line comes from a pole at the other end of the house, but the electricity comes underground. Any chance they could be using electrical ducts instead of a pole drop in certain circumstances?

A prime example of the blue lines meaning nothing. OpenEir don't and very likely never will have access to the mains networks plant, even LV stuff. SIRO will use it but thats nothing to do with these maps.

The blue lines are mostly a figment, don't put stock in them.

I would say the majority of the blue lines are accurate enough but there are some strange sections in it like blue lines going into fields with no houses or small spurs into nowhere. There are certain areas that for whatever reason have not been done at all for miles around, the curragh camp in Kildare being a good example.

The most accurate examples of the blue lines are probably the lines coming out of towns and villages leading along ribbon developments.

Your story illustrates why you don't get the negativity. Try a few months with no internet at home whatsoever, having to get in a car to to get 3G internet. There are 'step change' things happening, and maybe 5 years from now I'll be sorted in Kerry, but it's really asking too much to expect me to not be mightily frustrated in the meantime.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

All I wished for originally was a cabinet in the area that would serve 60+ houses roughly giving 30-60 meg to most houses but what we are getting instead is a 1Gig FTTH, far beyond what I ever imagined would be available in an area such as this.

I think most of us who are on 1-10meg would be more than happy with 24-50meg for the next few years but what were getting is far, far, greater than that!

Eir's FTTC cab's are designed to service about 240 homes. While they certainly don't all do this, 60+ homes sounds like it would be on the low side. Add to that if the cab isn't near a pre-existing duct network and backhaul fiber, then it likely doesn't make economic sense for Eir to do FTTC for such a setup.

It probably cheaper for Eir to skip an area like this for FTTC and go straight to FTTH.

About speeds, the thing is for rural areas, it is almost cheaper and easier to do 1Gb/s FTTH, then it is to do 24-50Mb/s. I realise that sounds weird compared to what people are normally use to, but it is due to the characteristics of the technology available.

Every technology but FTTH are severely limited by distance. To do 24 to 50Mb/s in rural Ireland, you would have to deploy a ludicrous number of FTTC cabs to cover the country. It just doesn't make economic sense.

Eir/Siro etc. are going with FTTH due to it's great performance characteristics over distance, not because of the high available speed, that is the icing on the cake.
    PaulRyan97 wrote: »
    I'm on a main road 7 miles north of Cork City, none of it is covered by FTTC or FTTH, about 300 people living within a 10 minutes drive of the country's second largest city can get no better than 2-5mbps.

In other words an extremely rural area with low density. That is a mistake many people make in their thinknig. You think just because you are a couple of miles fro ma city that it should be easy to service you. But it simply isn't the case. Most broadband technologies, other then FTTH, are limited to just 1 or 2 km's

So from the perspective of broadband, anything more then a 1km from a major, densely populated urban area (this can include a town/village) is basically rural.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

KOR101 wrote: »
    Your story illustrates why you don't get the negativity. Try a few months with no internet at home whatsoever, having to get in a car to to get 3G internet. There are 'step change' things happening, and maybe 5 years from now I'll be sorted in Kerry, but it's really asking too much to expect me to not be mightily frustrated in the meantime.

Well you live in one of the most rural and least densely populated places in Europe! Hardly surprising so.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

KOR101 wrote: »
    I wouldn't live somewhere that had no internet whatsoever to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I wouldn't live somewhere that had no internet whatsoever to be honest.

It is great that you have a choice .... some do not.

Not everyone made their choice of home AFTER the internet became available in Ireland (~1992) ........ but that seems to be a difficult concept for quite a lot of people :D

For those that can afford to move - fine. For others I guess NBP is the only hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,000 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I would say the majority of the blue lines are accurate enough but there are some strange sections in it like blue lines going into fields with no houses or small spurs into nowhere. There are certain areas that for whatever reason have not been done at all for miles around, the curragh camp in Kildare being a good example.

The most accurate examples of the blue lines are probably the lines coming out of towns and villages leading along ribbon developments.

I had found, and posted about, a blue line going to a farmers barn well in from the roadside.

On further examination it seems that the farmer's house (and telephone line) are in the next field, so it seems the blue line was incorrectly drawn to the barn instead of the house.

An easy mistake IMO, and not one that would make me inclined to doubt the overall accuracy of the blue lines.

• Advertisement

I had found, and posted about, a blue line going to a farmers barn well in from the roadside.

On further examination it seems that the farmer's house (and telephone line) are in the next field, so it seems the blue line was incorrectly drawn to the barn instead of the house.

An easy mistake IMO, and not one that would make me inclined to doubt the overall accuracy of the blue lines.

The lines are probably edited by different people from different areas of the country as well, some areas are probably extremely accurate, my area certainly is very accurate, while others maybe not as much. I would have reasonable belief that if your along a blue line and its a ribbon development area then its real. But if your are a few houses alway from a blue line there is a chance that they don't end the blue line at the correct spot or they may extend it in another update which has been the case already from one poster above.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement