Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Can I have the recipe of the almond and berry cake please anyone

It's in the Cooking Club here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=94074741

• Registered Users Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Sorry, no pic but I had home-made pizza (just cheese, tomato, red onion, sweetcorn and jalapenos) and a few wedges.
    Saturday is treat day so I really enjoyed it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

We had a simple but very tasty cauliflower and chickpea jalfrezi (with sweet potato, potato, carrots and peas thrown in as well - cause I'm the cook, and I like loads of veg :D ) with brown basmati, a naan and poppadums.
    Mango chutney and coriander chutney (shop bought, but I need to try making these myself) on the side.

Perfect Saturday evening fare.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Pan fried sea bass with steamed new potatoes and peas. First time cooking sea bass so I wanted to keep it simple. It was lovely. :) it was all gone before I thought of taking a photo. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Nachos and beer, no motivation to cook or be healthy!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

Thanks a mill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Home made pizza, first with salami & mozzarella, second with smoked ham & mozzarella. Jamie Oliver's base recipe with half the water swapped for beer. Couple of margaritas with it. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Crispy duck in Siam Malahide last night. I love that place so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭pew

Bought a fajita veg mix in lidl.

So I made a fajita bowl with chicken, rice, lettuce, tomato and cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

Batch cooking rainy Sunday in our house today. We made a huge portion of what I call 'meat batch' and then split into bolognese and chilli.

It's made up of 1kg onion, 1kg carrot and 1kg celery, finely chopped and cooked slowly in half a cup of olive oil for about an hour in a giant stockpot with the lid on. We added in 600g chestnut mushrooms, loads of garlic and put the lid back on for 30 mins. The rugby was on all day so we pootered in and out of the kitchen as we pleased. We added in 1kg browned minced beef, 4 tins tomatoes, 1 tube tomato puree, 4 beef stock pots and a load of freshly ground pepper. Lid back on and leave it for another hour or two. The last couple of hours we left the lid off and let it bubble away on medium heat to reduce the liquid.

The finishing touch was to split it into two. For the bolognese, we just added a load of herb de provence. For the chilli we chucked in 2 tins of kidney beans, a good whack of dried chilli flakes and a teaspoon of chipotle powder.

These will be tucked into the freezer when they've cooled down and will be enjoyed as post-work, mid-week meals. One container has 2 portions so this is 10 nights' worth of dinners.

NsyltqA.jpg?2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Wild mushrooms in a cream sauce on tagliatelli. Could have been more mushroomy tasting, which is weird because there were tonnes of mushrooms in it.

photo%202_zpszm2zkje8.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭RentDayBlues

Lidl duck breasts, I topped with honey and red currant after a quick pan fry, finished in oven for 15 mins

Served with creamy mash, carrots, broccoli and sugarsnaps

My 18 month old almost ate a full breast herself, she loved it!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

More of a what I had/made for dessert...white chocolate cheesecake! It also came with a nice berry sauce on the side!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

made a mexican spiced lamb mince omelette with some fried mixed pepper and onion chopped small,fried in spice pack from s value fajita veg bag (2 euro) ,made it on the pancake maker and finished in the oven,served with baby potatoes fried in the actifry a bit of olive oil and the rest of the spice pack thrown in for the last 10 mins ,truly wonderful lol,best one ive ever made..i normally take a pic...just milled this :)

Fishcakes, sweetcorn and mixed salad with balsamic reduction.

L4oLYSe.jpg?1

What do you want when you've had a bad day? The food of your childhood. Not having time to cook a stew I bought some kidneys on my way home and for quickness stir fried them with some courgette, broccoli, asparagus and pak choi, chucked in some udon and a splosh of water then the leftover miso, ginger & coriander dressing left over from the green tea salmon last week. Then I just let it simmer to cook the udon while I poached a duck egg (don't poach duck eggs, they don't have much albumen; I really only wanted the yolk to thicken the sauce). So delicious I wish I hadn't eaten it so that I could eat it now.

photo_zpsmhmac7oh.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

kylith wrote: »
    What do you want when you've had a bad day? The food of your childhood.

Sorry you had a bad day, Kylith. :(

Sorry you had a bad day, Kylith. :(

Thanks, these things happen. It got better once the nice man in the butcher shop sold me some kidneys.

Kylith, I know what you mean; I generally cook things like home-made curries, cottage pies, chillies etc and everything's made from scratch, but today I just fancied fish fingers and beans.
    So simple but tasty and comforting :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Fishcakes, sweetcorn and mixed salad with balsamic reduction.

How did you make the fish cakes - spring onion, fish and potato with salt/pepper? Is it that simple? They look great

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭dealornodeal23

Minder wrote: »
    Roast chicken with waffles and a chassseur sauce following a recipe by Thomas Keller on Saturday Kitchen Best Bites. Savoury waffles are my new favourite obsession, need some more recipes...

Nom nom

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Made my usual Chicken Risotto last night from the the leftover chicken of the previous days roast.

In an effort to use up fridge/cupboard randoms I decided to change it up a bit by adding some chopped up sundried tomatoes, basil and roasted pine nuts. Absolutely gorgeous.

359815.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

fussyonion wrote: »
    Kylith, I know what you mean; I generally cook things like home-made curries, cottage pies, chillies etc and everything's made from scratch, but today I just fancied fish fingers and beans.
    So simple but tasty and comforting :)

Aaaand I've just decided we're having fish fingers for dinner. Happy days

Cajun salmon, broccoli and Mexican rice (just one of those Tilda pouches)
    Very nice but very filling:

femg4j.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

fussyonion wrote: »
    Cajun salmon, broccoli and Mexican rice (just one of those Tilda pouches)
    Very nice but very filling:

I had that mexican rice Tilda pouch the other day. Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Made Donal Skehan's minestrone soup. Lovely and hearty on a miserable aul day. I made the full recipe and that yielded about 6/7 decent sized portions which will do nicely over the rest of the week. Any idea if chunky soup freezes well?

katydid wrote: »
    I had that mexican rice Tilda pouch the other day. Very nice.

It's on offer in Tesco for €1.19 at the moment.
    So handy to have; it's really tasty isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

I roasted up some vegetables with a seasoning, and stir fried some egg noodles, and it turned out lovely. Definitely a fan of roast veg vs fried. I was very content with myself, until I read the pack of the seasoning - shocking amount of sugar and salt. Thought maybe I could try make up my own.

It had garlic basil and something else in it. Anyone have any good tasty seasoning recipes for me to try?

Bananaleaf wrote: »
    How did you make the fish cakes - spring onion, fish and potato with salt/pepper? Is it that simple? They look great

I posted this before - here you go!
    Twas all a bit makey-uppey but this is what I did...

Cook 2kg potatoes until tender - I had a wonky wrist so I didn't peel them, instead I left the peel on and then chopped up any rough bits at the end.

Steam 1kg fish pie mix until cooked through - I put mine in a steel colander over boiling water and it took about 15 mins. I got the fish in the local fishmongers and it was a mix of salmon, white fish and smoked fish; they sell a fish pie mix for €15 per kg and it's really good.

When the fish and potato have cooled down, mix them together with loads of chopped scallion (I used 2 big bunches from Lidl) and parsley (I used two of the pouches from tesco - about 80g altogether) with the zest of 3 lemons. Add 4 tbsp flour, a good wallop of salt and pepper and 3 beaten eggs. Mix together by hand really well. It should be fairly wet and sticky at the end.

I used the weighing scales to make them all the same size - I weighed out 100g of mix and then formed into a patty on a baking tray and they all went into the freezer overnight. It's a bit of work but well worth it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,580 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

Boeuf bourguignon, mash, roasted carrots. Buttered crusty rolls. Brownies and ice cream.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement