Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

Stheno wrote: »
    Recipe please?

Just fry an onion and 2 chicken breasts for a couple of minutes, then add a generous helping of whatever curry spices you fancy, I like the schwartz tikka masala powder. Add the rest of your veg, I used green peppers, mushrooms and peas. Add a tin of tomatoes, 6oz rice and 150ml stock. Cover and let it simmer for 20 minutes and finish with a blob of natural yoghurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Dolbert wrote: »
    Chicken biryani, so quick to make too. Yum

Do you have a good receipts for this dish please? my husband loves it and it would be great to try myself at home.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Do you have a good receipts for this dish please? my husband loves it and it would be great to try myself at home.
    It's in the post before yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Duh.... sorry!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,073 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Had a beautiful pizza(2) for dinner areir. I knew Friday was going to be busy, so made the dough the night before. Nicest base ever. I dunno what it did leaving it overnight, but it worked. I rolled it out and then transferred it to the pizza tray, then pulled it over the edge. Rolled it back up, put it in the oven for 6 mins, then took it out and lashed on the toppings. Heated up passata with crushed garlic before I spread it around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,855 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

beertons wrote: »
    Had a beautiful pizza(2) for dinner areir. I knew Friday was going to be busy, so made the dough the night before. Nicest base ever. I dunno what it did leaving it overnight, but it worked. .

I like to leave my pizza dough in the fridge for a few days, if possible. It really develops the flavour.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,073 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I like to leave my pizza dough in the fridge for a few days, if possible. It really develops the flavour.

As prepared as I am, with a 7 day food plan recorded from October 2013, getting the dough made on a Sunday for Thursday's dinner, would be a stretch too far for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Paid a visit to Musashi on Capel St. They delivered, as usual!

SFDtqNH.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Best sushi I've had in Ireland, so far. Cute waitress too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Taboola

California and ebi tempura roll?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,819 ✭✭✭fussyonion

Chilli. Very spicy and delicious:

2eocnb5.jpg

Yes, all I eat lately is tacos. Tonight it's slow cooked brisket, red cabbage, pico de gallo, salsa taquera and a green avocado salsa.

3b02ab2ab6225c50aea5af624688b586c52a1c1f29a36638f838174c83fdbcd5_zpsobqmfvax.jpg

Taboola wrote: »
    California and ebi tempura roll?

Yup, along with tempura prawns, pork gyoza (dumplings) and the chef selection 7 piece nigiri and 4 small maki. Had miso soup to start too (for €2 it's almost rude not to!)

Might seem like a lot but it's over a year since the last sushi visit.

Their Korta 4-2 Sauvignon blanc is delicious btw, far too easy to drink!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Taboola wrote: »
    Yes, all I eat lately is tacos. Tonight it's slow cooked brisket, red cabbage, pico de gallo, salsa taquera and a green avocado salsa.

<picture snipped>

Nice, but not a taco. Tortilla maybe.

J Mysterio wrote: »

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taco
    A taco (/ˈtækoʊ/ or /ˈtɑːkoʊ/) is a traditional Mexican dish composed of a corn or wheat tortilla folded or rolled around a filling. A taco can be made with a variety of fillings, including beef, pork, chicken, seafood, vegetables and cheese, allowing for great versatility and variety. A taco is generally eaten without utensils and is often accompanied by garnishes such as salsa, avocado or guacamole, cilantro (coriander), tomatoes, minced meat, onions and lettuce.

I took the picture of it flat because I didn't want my hand in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,766 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

No. That is a taco.

I'd appreciate it if you cut out the sniping/niggling that you occasionally do in this thread, & either contribute in a more positive fashion or do not bother posting at all.

tHB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

It IS a tortilla. A tortilla with filling on it. When it's wrapped up, it will be a taco...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

The other day, several days ago in fact.My first attempt at champ.

WP_20150726_14_08_35_Pro_zpsbomed0gm.jpg

with an M&S pork steak on the side which had rested in some red wine on the hob with the heat turned off. Glad to find out I had done this part right!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Last night was Indian takeaway night with onion bhajee, sheekh kebab, chicken tikka masala, lamb bhuna, rice and garlic Naan. Some leftovers for lunch today. Yum yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

The folks were over for dinner last night and we had a lovely meal. Starter was slow-braised featherblade beef in a peppery gravy with chestnut mushrooms, served in a thin crepe. For mains we had duck a l'orange with egg fried rice. Dessert was a meringue roulade with passionfruit and cream.

We may have also enjoyed some saffron gin with tonic, red wine, white wine, limoncello, homemade cider and finally some kirs! (There are some sore heads today)

• Advertisement

Here's a tray of the fishcakes I batch cooked this week; I froze them on baking trays and then packed them into portions in wee bags. I love batch cooking!

fishcakes%20batch_zpswfnhtv4z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Here's a tray of the fishcakes I batch cooked this week; I froze them on baking trays and then packed them into portions in wee bags. I love batch cooking!
    Do you have a recipe for those fish cakes?

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Fried sausages and rashers with baby carrots and new potatoes. I tried making onion gravy but it turned out too sweet, so we added bisto to save it. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Did one of our usuals tonight and turned out to be one of the best meals we've had in a while. Enchiladas with mushrooms, red onion, chicken, sweet corn, spinach and red cheddar, with tomato and mascarpone sauce.

Yum.

Washing it down with a homemade cocktail of chardonnay and passionfruit liquer with pineapple.

Do you have a recipe for those fish cakes?

Twas all a bit makey-uppey but this is what I did...

Cook 2kg potatoes until tender - I had a wonky wrist so I didn't peel them, instead I left the peel on and then chopped up any rough bits at the end.

Steam 1kg fish pie mix until cooked through - I put mine in a steel colander over boiling water and it took about 15 mins. I got the fish in the local fishmongers and it was a mix of salmon, white fish and smoked fish; they sell a fish pie mix for €15 per kg and it's really good.

When the fish and potato have cooled down, mix them together with loads of chopped scallion (I used 2 big bunches from Lidl) and parsley (I used two of the pouches from tesco - about 80g altogether) with the zest of 3 lemons. Add 4 tbsp flour, a good wallop of salt and pepper and 3 beaten eggs. Mix together by hand really well. It should be fairly wet and sticky at the end.

I used the weighing scales to make them all the same size - I weighed out 100g of mix and then formed into a patty on a baking tray and they all went into the freezer overnight. It's a bit of work but well worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭rosie16

Veg sweet potato shepard's pie. It's turning into a firm favourite. From this recipe: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/4382/veggie-shepherds-pie-with-sweet-potato-mash

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Chicken Adobo with rice and boy choy.

20150801_220410.jpg

20150801_220417.jpg

This stuff is sooo good, apparently the Filipino national dish and I can see why. It's also incredibly easy to make...

- Get about 2-3lb of chicken wings, legs and thighs (you can use breast/fillet but would be best off to cut it into smaller pieces first), and cram them into a deep tin like a bread dish.
    - Get one pint of soy sauce, one pint of standard vinegar, 12(!) garlic cloves diced into tiny pieces, a pinch of salt and one table spoon of crushed black pepper. Mix all together, pour on the chicken until the meat is fully covered, refrigerate for 2 hours up to overnight.
    - Pour all into a big pot again so the meat is fully covered (if it is not, just top up with tap water until it is) and bring to the boil.
    - When it reaches the boil, reduce to medium/low temperature and cover for half an hour (so it is simmering/just barely boiling). After the half hour, remove the lid and leave for another 25-30 minutes. Then move the chicken pieces onto a smoking hot pan for 3-5 minutes each, always turning, to brown the outer meat and crisp the skin up a bit.
    - Put rice on to boil with about 10-15 minutes left, boy choy if you want with about 10 minutes left (it's easy, just stir with some garlic and salt - tastes so good!). Before serving, cover all the rice and chicken with the soy/vinegar sauce the chicken cooked in.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

Cajun salmon with carrot and parsnip chips and baked new potatoes. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Meatloaf with boiled potatoes and mixed veg. Finally something the parents actually liked!

• Advertisement

First try at a mixed paella (chicken, king prawn and mussels)

jhGt73R.jpg

Followed by Eton Mess (or a version of... Strawberries & raspberries mixed in, some desiccated coconut mixed into the cream and toasted coconut as garnish)

pI4udMX.jpg

Tonights was fish pie, first time making it. Won't bother with pictures because it wasn't cooked in individual portions so it's not pretty, but it was tasty :P Started out with a velouté, made it into a white wine and mushroom sauce - then layered everything and baked for ~45mins.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement