Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What did you have for lunch thread - NO BLOG LINKS & NO PIC QUOTING

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭Tarzana

leahyl wrote: »
    I went in January - it was a beautiful experience! Went with 3 friends (it was one of my friends 30th bday pressie) and we all ordered the traditional except for one of us - kind of wish I had gotten the peculiar one now as I preferred what was in that one but it was still lovely :)

My sis got the peculiar one on the day we went, and I have to say, I was happy with my choice! :) But I love all the traditional afternoon tea accoutrements so it was a simple choice for me. The scone... nom! And there was this little custard tart thingie - the pastry was so crisp, it was perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,748 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

LOL! @ Tilly. :D

Unfortunately, I am feeling under the weather today which means I can't join MissF in Zürich for a mini-Mod's beers. :(

But it gave me a graw for hearty comfort food, so I dragged myself out of my sickbed to make Brotsuppe for lunch. It is quick & easy...

I de-skinned a sausage & finely chopped the meat. I fried this in some oil & a knob of butter with a very finely sliced onion.
    I poured off most of the oil & threw in shredded stale bread that I had left over from midweek. I gave it a good stir for the bread to absorb some of the sausage juices & oil, then added 1.5l of good quality beef stock.
    Simmered very gently for an hour & ready for lunch later.

(Swiss bread is mad! If you buy a fresh loaf - it is almost stale by the time you get it home. You need to eat it on the same day to get the best out of it. On the other hand, if you buy a sliced pan here they last forever. It is the most processed crappy bread you will come across.)

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

(Swiss bread is mad! If you buy a fresh loaf - it is almost stale by the time you get it home. You need to eat it on the same day to get the best out of it. On the other hand, if you buy a sliced pan here they last forever. It is the most processed crappy bread you will come across.)

It's the same same in Portugal, from what I remember, in August the sliced white bread had an expiration date of mid-October, I found it so bizarre because fresh bread has to be eaten on the day it's made.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

LOL! @ Tilly. :D

Unfortunately, I am feeling under the weather today which means I can't join MissF in Zürich for a mini-Mod's beers. :(

But it gave me a graw for hearty comfort food, so I dragged myself out of my sickbed to make Brotsuppe for lunch. It is quick & easy...

I de-skinned a sausage & finely chopped the meat. I fried this in some oil & a knob of butter with a very finely sliced onion.
    I poured off most of the oil & threw in shredded stale bread that I had left over from midweek. I gave it a good stir for the bread to absorb some of the sausage juices & oil, then added 1.5l of good quality beef stock.
    Simmered very gently for an hour & ready for lunch later.

Lucky you being able to eat though. I'm smothered since yesterday and today
    ~ for b'fast before work : had a coffee
    ~ for lunch at work : pot of hot water with sliced lemons, honey and brown sugar. Cannot stomach food at all at the moment.

Envious of the lovely lunch-options being posted in here though,
    kerry4sam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Half a sourdough baguette and chicken liver pate with garlic from the Pig's Back in the English Market. Seriously hungover today. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

k4s - get well soon. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

What a pity :(
    Hope you feel better soon.

kerry4sam hope you're better soon too, I had that lurgy lately and it's a nasty one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

FIL took us out for a lovely lunch, I had a superbly crispy battered cod and chips. Well seasoned. Yum.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Some of last night's chicken in a pita with loads of mayonnaise and mushroom and onion stuffing

Turkey and cheese toastie, kale chips and sweet potato fries.

IMG_20141020_130932_zpsxbmpwf9_edit_1413807414462_zpshouuymz4.jpg

• Advertisement

Had leftover chicken Biryani, and also decided today is a good day to feel unskinny. Made churros and chocolate from the cooking club. Everything feels very snug now. Aaaaaah.

IMG_20141021_131945_zpsjtrkteon.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    Had leftover chicken Biryani, and also decided today is a good day to feel unskinny. Made churros and chocolate from the cooking club. Everything feels very snug now. Aaaaaah.

Oh my that looks good, takes me back to Spain many years ago - great for keeping out the cold :):)

They look fantastic, Mrs Fox!

I had a toasted bacon & smoked cheese sandwich with a cup of Lyons tea that you could walk a horse across.

Fish pie fresh out of the oven, with steamed broccoli.

IMG_20141022_122733_zpsp4mcqoze.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

^^
    Such pretty piping!

^^
    Such pretty piping!

A friend picked up an icing kit as a gift for me recently so instead of decorating cakes which I'm terrible at anyway, I've been putting them into good use (like yesterday's churros).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mrs Fox, can you give me tips for piping? I've tried to pipe mash, but it's too hot* and too thick to pipe properly in my experience!

*Leaving it to cool is the obvious solution to this part, I know!

Faith wrote: »
    Mrs Fox, can you give me tips for piping? I've tried to pipe mash, but it's too hot* and too thick to pipe properly in my experience!

*Leaving it to cool is the obvious solution to this part, I know!

I'll tell you exactly what I did, so I'll let you decide which tip to pick up. Oh and by the way I should credit the mash to you with the mayo addition :D

Steamed the quartered potatoes.
    When done, I emptied and cleaned the wok I used under the steamer, and riced the potatoes into it.
    I added a big dallop of mayo and a tbsp of butter. Mixed well with a wooden spoon. There's the mash ready. No cream no milk.
    I quickly shaped a handful of the mash into a fat sausage because I needed to fill it into the icing tube, like this:

IMG_20141022_181418_zpsihgciojy.jpg

It's just quicker than stuffing with a spoon. The mash would've cooled down a little bit by then, probably because I had it in a wok so it cooled down faster in a bigger surface, I dunno.
    Then pipe. It did come out smoothly.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,764 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Leaving the mash to cool is not the solution as it will firm up and become hard to pipe.

I think you need to have the mash loose enough to pipe and just cool enough to handle.
    Oh and you need chefy asbestos hands.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Haha, that's what I'm missing so! :D

• Advertisement

Leaving the mash to cool is not the solution as it will firm up and become hard to pipe.

I think you need to have the mash loose enough to pipe and just cool enough to handle.

Nigella has a pair of these.
    As did my grandmother.

I still cringe when I see Nana Billy plucking a chip with her bare fingers from the deep fryer to test it. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

I still cringe when I see Nana Billy plucking a chip with her bare fingers from the deep fryer to test it. :eek:

Sweet mother of Jesus. Please tell me you're joking?

Also the mental image in my head is of a cute little nana with battered sausages for fingers :D

There's not a mark on her fingers.

She does have to do her nails again after deep frying though. :)

It got fierce chilly here today, so I threw together a big pot of Brotsuppe (bread soup) again for lunches for the rest of the week. I'm loving the stuff!

Spicy Thai chicken noodle soup from the cooking club. Hit the right spot, it did. Delicious.

IMG_20141023_123823_zpsc1oxhyh_edit_1414064484372_zpsodejyvgf.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

<I'll snip the picture until I get a non-monsterous one>

Lovely pizza and O'Haras Amber Adventure ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

That life size pizza looks delicious. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Applause wrote: »
    That life size pizza looks delicious. :pac:

I'm not going to lie to you - it was pretty damn good. Though I had to share it with herself. The pizza, that is, not the beer. :)

All joking aside, I used to go overboard on the sauce. I tried various concotions of sauces until I discovered that keeping simple with just a tin of chopped tomatoes worked the best. Let the toppings give the flavour.

Edit: balls. Sorry about the size of the photo. I'll try to adjust it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Lamb steak sandwich. Lamb, lettuce, tomato, cheese, and a seedy bap

photo_zps0a92954d.jpg

Advertisement