Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭dibkins

northgirl wrote: »
    That's looks delicious! Any chance of the recipe?

Its this one:
    http://www.greensaffron.com/features/recipes/red-lentil-dahl/

I get the spice mix up in Limerick market if i'm visiting, but looking at your location you might get it more local. The are at Mahon and Wilton markets during the week i think. Just follow the recipe, don't be afraid to absolutely load it ginger. Nomnomnom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

dibkins wrote: »
    Its this one:

I get the spice mix up in Limerick market if i'm visiting, but looking at your location you might get it more local. The are at Mahon and Wilton markets during the week i think. Just follow the recipe, don't be afraid to absolutely load it ginger. Nomnomnom.

I make that all the time here too, the kids bloody love it. I make it with split lentils, or lentils soaked in the morning, takes about 15 mins.

Mahon market, wilton market, the english market, the tescos and supervalu's around Cork stock that red dahl spice mix. As well as a pile of butchers and corner shops. Retail list here:
    http://www.greensaffron.com/media/wysiwyg/retailers-ie.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

dibkins wrote: »
    Its this one:

Great thanks :) I can get to the Wilton market tomorrow.

Pick up some of their stuff hot if you can. The meat curries are tasty, but the vegetarian ones are incredible!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Dinner was nothing spectacular (simple leg of lamb roast with roast spuds, celeriac puree and carrots cooked with just a little butter and no water) but dessert was fun :)

Jamie Oliver's Comfort Food recipe for sticky toffee pudding:

325861.jpg

It's just been painted with the caramel sauce there. What caramel sauce? This caramel sauce!

325862.jpg

Lovely crispy outside, hugely stodgy goodness inside, drowned in salted caramel. Nyom.

325863.jpg

And because I don't know when to quit, I had this in the fridge as well (oreo cookie base mascarpone and lime cheesecake with lime jello topping :D )

325864.jpg

What? Look outside, it's winter. We get to do the fun desserts again to stave off the cold! Everyone knows oeufs à la neige are how you fight off the depths of winter, right?

maxresdefault.jpg

(that's one for next weekend)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Dinner tonight will be roast chicken pieces with stuffing, mashed potatoes, carrots and broccoli, with gravy of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Ilyana 2.0

^^ Dat sticky toffee :eek:

Tonight was another BBC Good Food recipe, their oven-baked tomato and smoky bacon risotto: http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/2818/ovenbaked-risotto-

It was my first time making risotto and the recipe couldn't have been simpler. The end result was lovely, filling and comforting, but a little too salty. I had used two rashers though, so I'll try it again tomorrow with just one. I also added button mushrooms and garlic, because garlic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭homemadecider

We're having chicken jalfrezi with lots of mushrooms, spinach and peas & basmati rice. Had to add some cream as it turned out jaw-droppingly hot! (May need ice cream later too)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Made Curry Addict's chicken Biryani, yum! with the sauce on the side. I completely forgot to deseed the chillies as I was making it for the family. Kids wouldn't be able to handle the heat, so they are having cheese toasties and baked beans instead. Sorry kids.

IMG_20141020_185518_zpsroghomh_edit_1413827832004_zps0ins4r33.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭northgirl

Lamb stew - a touch too heavy on the pepper :o

dbhb1c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I had some white pudding and eggs.

I cubed some baby potatoes, boiled them to point where they were nearly done, then i finished them off in the frying pan with butter flavoured with garlic powder and loads of black pepper!

For desert i picked up little fruit jelly cups when i was in the Asian supermarket. There was 2 mango, a pineapple, strawberry, lychee and honey suckle melon.

I had the strawberry one!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

herisson wrote: »

For desert i picked up little fruit jelly cups when i was in the Asian supermarket. There was 2 mango, a pineapple, strawberry, lychee and honey suckle melon.

I love love love mango and lychee!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

Mrs Fox wrote: »
    I love love love mango and lychee!

My two favourite flavours at the moment.

I love having lychee with blueberries and vanilla ice cream.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mushroom and cheese omelette and a side salad. Quick, easy, and satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Goolay

Beef Chimichangas:

4eSdqhKl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭fiddlechic

Those chimichangas look amazing.

I had hairy dieter's "leek" lasagne from freezer last night with a salad.
    I reheated it in a le cruest dish, then grated a load of cheese on it and popped it under the grill. Yum.
    2zi0qi1.jpg

Tonight, I made my first recipe from Jamie Oliver's 15 minute meals.
    Chorizo carbonara - gosh, it's really, really good. Lemon, yogurt and egg. Carbonara is really not the word to use for it, but it's creamy, spicy, chorizoy goodness. The lemon-chorizo mix is great.
    c3wpy.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

hvb5vm.jpg

Admittedly it's not the most photogenic but it's delicious. Buffalo chicken dip, I'm eating it straight out of the dish with a fork.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Last night was the first in almost 2 weeks that I got lazy & went for shop-bought pizza. Pretty decent prosciutto & fungi all the same.

I did, however, use the time constructively to make a curry for tonight's dinner. Turkey, tomato & courgette with coconut milk & a sambar masala spice mix. I chucked in a couple of spoonfuls of hot mango pickle just for the hell of it & it was the best idea ever!

Tonight we had bacon and mushroom pasta made with the Aldi tomato and marscapone sauce.

It was nice, but very salty because of the off cuts, in future I will stick to buying a joint/piece of ham from Dunnes and just dicing that up instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Chicken fajitas tonight. Kit from aldi and guacamole from a jar. Lovely stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Strange one tonight, had half a roast pumpkin that was left over from making soup on Sunday.
    Skinned it and chopped it up and stuck it in a bowl with some delightfully authentic satay sauce from the Asian supermarket, bit of soy, sesame oil, garlic, red chilli and onion.

Then baked it in the oven for half an hour to crisp it up. Yummy crispy and veeery spicy!
    N6V0OKwm.jpg?1

Went to Aroi in Cork. Had a grilled minty pork salad with toasted rice and tamarind dressing. Oh heck it was tasty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Slow cooked Hungarian goulash (the camera lens got a bit steamed up)

2wdbna0.jpg

... and pear & almond tart for dessert

25jxf1u.jpg

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I made penne with a broccoli and mushroom sour cream and pesto sauce.

Really easy and really yummy. :)

Dessert was a bowl of pistacchio ice cream. Lidl have started selling it as part of their Italian specialities, and I'm tempted to buy up all their stock and keep it in the freezer for when they stop selling it again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

In the manner of all bad photos of pale foods in a cream sauce this looks like slop BUT it was the nicest dinner, ever. Spätzle baked in a four cheese sauce (Gruyere, a bit of tete de moine, a cheese I'm not sure of the name of & cheddar), with ham, chicken & mushrooms. I nearly had a little weep for myself it was that good.

07B2CC0E-9598-4758-8846-1FFEAC2BC1BC_zpsfdzzvstu.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

OMFG MissF - I want to lick the screen looking at that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

hehe iwmd :) I'm hovering between screen licking and going back out into the kitchen and eating all of the rest of it (circa 10,000 calories worth). God it was good.

Actually, there was tinned ham in it. I sort of have my snob face on for tinned meats but this was surprisingly delicious and nice textured. You live & learn.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Chicken paella. The pauper in me couldn't splash for chorizo today, but I had pancheta in the freezer. The pics are on the phone, will upload tomorrow maybe, I've enough to do till Friday. Kids devoured it, I am the culinary king.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Sshhhhhh! Don't mention PaellaGate!

• Advertisement

Tonight we had t-bone steaks, buttery scallion mash and buttery, milky spinach. Delicious.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement