Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'Here's what I had for dinner last night' thread - Part II - Don't quote pics!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,351 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Beef cobbler just out of the oven. :)

5E8A73AC-17DF-4979-9D62-ACCD03BEA7E1_zpsi4tuymr8.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I have a few sliced chicken fillets marinating in a concoction which involves lemon, lime, chili, and whatever else was in the presses. I cannot wait! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Baby back ribs with a spicy salad of rocket, Chinese greens, bean sprouts, ginger, chilli, soy sauce & lime juice. 20C here in Bern today so still in summer cooking mode. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,108 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

20C here in Bern today so still in summer cooking mode. :)

Lucky you!

Marinated pork chops with crushed baby potatoes and sautéed mushrooms and onions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

I made some hash browns, mushrooms, onions, mangetout and buttery peas.

Still being a vegetarian. I keep forgetting to defrost meat :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

How do you make your hash browns herisson?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,676 ✭✭✭✭herisson

How do you make your hash browns herisson?

I grated par boiled potatoes and a little onion. Molded them and fried them.

I had no patience to wait to bake them.

They were messy but so good

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Tonight for dinner we are having chicken breasts on the bone, carrots, broccoli, mashed potatoes and gravy. Washed down with some San Pedro.

Roast chicken without the effort of cooking a full chicken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

My Mammy's shepherds pie :)
    Pic taken before butter added!
    QBeb7Ghl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Applause

I decided to experiment this evening with varied results.

I tried to make fish cakes and it seemed to be going well but when I tried to fry them they just stayed too soft. :( So I tried to bake the rest and they turned out a bit better but were still too soft, I didn't use a recipe but nonetheless, they were edible after baking and I enjoyed them.

It was also my first time trying to make fried chicken, I used the mini fillets on offer in aldi, dipped them in milk and then coated them with crushed Tuc crackers with a bit of salt and pepper, they turned out fabulous, moist on the inside with a delicious golden crispy skin!

b3dd0cbbee.jpg

That is a failed fish cake on the right. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Chicken looks very good, fish cake... Not so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Spinach, goat cheese and almond quiche. Very tasty.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Mushroom omelette with a side salad and hummus dressing.

Am trying to diet and am using a food tracker that's only allowing me 1350 calories a day :( Sure a third of that went on breakfast!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

kylith wrote: »
    Mushroom omelette with a side salad and hummus dressing.

Am trying to diet and am using a food tracker that's only allowing me 1350 calories a day :( Sure a third of that went on breakfast!

:eek: 1350 is very low.... I'm trying (and regularly failing) to restrict myself to 1750 a day at the moment.
    Saying that, it's working nicely, I'm 2kg down in the last month now :D

Shenshen wrote: »
    :eek: 1350 is very low.... I'm trying (and regularly failing) to restrict myself to 1750 a day at the moment.
    Saying that, it's working nicely, I'm 2kg down in the last month now :D

Well, I'm treating it as a target rather than an obligation. It stops me from going "Oooh, yes please!" when I'm offered biscuits in work. Instead I get to treat myself to a Satsuma. Yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Some left over 'baked beans' (chickpeas in a hot chili & tomato sauce) heated in a pan with 2 eggs & served on toasted brown bread. Tasty but man was that one ugly looking meal, so no photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

IMG_20141009_175135_zpsyw0rrvop.jpg

I finally got around to make Curry Addict's Indian restaurant curries from the cooking club. Holy Moly I couldn't believe how similar they tasted to the ones from takeaway!
    Made the illuminous chicken tikka masala, chicken rogan josh, and pilau rice. The husband was very very impressed. Will try other recipes with lamb next time.

IMG_20141009_180819_zpspserbhjj.jpg

Chicken cordon bleu casserole, topped with mashed cauliflower. It's very white, but very tasty.

photo11_zps78b023d4.jpg
    photo31_zps02215b46.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Chicken pot pie, it was lovely, especially with the horrible weather we had yesterday!

Scrambled eggs & toast pretty late at night. An earlier starter of a coffee and a handful of pilfered lion bar cereal in my aunts place. Real dinner tonight, exciting!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,749 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I threw the ribs left over from the previous evening's dinner into a broth made from miso & chicken stock, Thai red curry paste, a splash of soy, ginger, garlic, a few split chillis & lime juice. I let it simmer for 30 mins then removed the ribs to strip the meat. I shredded this & the returned to the broth with shredded Chinese greens, scallions, coriander stalks & bean sprouts. Dished up & topped off with fresh coriander.

Two totally different meals over two nights with pretty much the same ingredients. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

Jumbo prawn linguine done with cherry tomatoes, about a bulb of garlic and flat leaf parsley washed down with two dirty big glasses of Vina Sol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Merkin wrote: »
    Jumbo prawn linguine done with cherry tomatoes, about a bulb of garlic and flat leaf parsley washed down with two dirty big glasses of Vina Sol

That sounds magic!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

It was Loire, it was really simple but so delicious :)

Had a Saturday staple this evening and had a Mexican feast. Corn tacos stuffed with beef, tomatoes, homemade guacamole, salsa, cheese, red onions and jalapeños. I'm now incapable of moving because I stuffed myself as well as the tacos :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭Loire

Chicken massaman from Ramen in Cork for 6 euro each and a pair of Spatens from Aldi...hit the spot!

Braised beef cheek, Oxtail croquette, truffle mash & pak choy in l'guelethingy (cannot spell) in Dublin. Was really delightful, good chilly evening food, but I really don't think there was any truffle in the mash. Unless I'm still not back at 100% tasting ability after cold.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭iwantmydinner

Chilli night round these parts! Made it with the chilli spice mix from Aldi and threw in a load of halved cherry tomatoes. Super tasty altogether.

The star of the show was the rice though. Saw Ken Hom demonstrating the absorption method on TV and it just clicked. A very basic thing, I know, but I had never managed it. Since seeing him doing it though I've had a 100% success rate with it. It's all about the small victories, lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Chorizo and potato stew. So simple and so so delicious
    2014-10-10185828_zpsf42990a0.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Moroccan meatballs and couscous. It was very tasty :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭StripedBoxers

Thanks to Mrs Fox post above about the curries, we ended up getting Indian for dinner.

We go chicken pakora, butter chicken curry, garlic naan bread and chips.

The curry was nice, but a little bland I thought.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement