Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I did something to my car (volume 2)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

There actually is no better feeling that when a box of car parts arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

And no worse feeling when the credit card bill arrives!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

What you do there is either ignore it and hope it goes away or pay it and forget about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Did a normal oil and filter servive but also fitted a Fumoto valve for easier oil changes in the future, I got the little circlip that stops the valve accidentally opening from contact with grass and the like.
    It protrudes down about another 12mm or so than the stock bolt but I can live with that if it makes life easier for oil changes.
    Next change will be due at 302499 miles.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

joujoujou wrote: »
    A box has arrived...

323274.jpg

...with my weekend's job inside (apart from bbq and a few beers of course). :D

323275.jpg

If you don't mind me asking, Where did you pick those shocks up? Any kyb's I've got here have been black and in a red box, like the ones below
    86_783672511.jpg

• Advertisement

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, Where did you pick those shocks up? Any kyb's I've got here have been black and in a red box, like the ones below
    Those are the AGX adjustable KYB's in Red.
    High end KYB shocks compared to the standard Black finish (which I have on my Avensis)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Did a normal oil and filter servive but also fitted a Fumoto valve for easier oil changes in the future, I got the little circlip that stops the valve accidentally opening from contact with grass and the like.
    It protrudes down about another 12mm or so than the stock bolt but I can live with that if it makes life easier for oil changes.
    Next change will be due at 302499 miles.:D
    Have you used the fumoto valves before? Happy with them? Considering one myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

hopefully solved the 0-60 in 25 seconds and 34mpg issue.

Though it was the fuel pump timing so pulled off the cover and checked it. ALl OK

n2forp.jpg
    rk3kar.jpg

As I stood there scratching my head one of my mates had a look at the pump and noticed the fuel line to the pump form the filter was very soft. Someone ape had fitted a coolant pipe instead! It would have surely been collapsing with the vacuum form the pump. So I replaced that and all the leak off which were a bit rotten...

New fuel line to the pump
    2zrdftg.jpg
    2rm420z.jpg

Put it all back together then and fired it up. Sounded a bit better but I noticed the rocker cover was covered in diesel. Checked all the leak offs which were OK. When you revved it up then we could see a squirt coming from the top of the pump. Turned out two bolts on top of the fuel pump were really loose :confused:.

We reckon that the leak was very minor and went unoticed until we restored full fuel pressure causing it to squirt out everywhere! 0-60 is now sub 17 seconds and should get better fuel economy now the pumps not leaking!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,405 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Today I took the bumper off my car

XPGILK.jpg

iupYRh.jpg

Put this on
    xbk4gO.jpg

Now I have this
    QUkdix.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭YbFocus

What did you do :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,607 ✭✭✭toastedpickles

YbFocus wrote: »
    What did you do :D

Took his bumper off and put it back on obviously! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Should have posted a before and after pic.

Before
    c4I9QF.jpg
    After..
    EHVzwl.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Looks better with the mesh grille i think

Have you used the fumoto valves before? Happy with them? Considering one myself.
    No, first time using it, looks a good piece of kit.
    I do 5k mile oil services and that is probably 5-6 per year so it makes sense to me to speed the process.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

New grille looks 100 times better. Kinda looks like an accord now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

the corolla's interior has taken the mileage all very well bar the gearknob which was letting the side down. the chrome was all scratched off of it and it was very rough to hold. toyota want the guts of €90 for a new one so that was never going to happen. so naturally i turned to ebay. got this bad boy for €8 delivered from china.

it's extremely fake, fairly badly made and it wasn't threaded so i just forced it down onto the stick and twisted and twisted and it threaded itself fairly nicely. disappointed that the stitching is red not black but i might change that with a permanent marker. the car is now noticeably quicker now that it has some knock off TRD parts fitted.

carefully packaged MOMO TRD goodness :):
    20140926_224300.jpg

before:
    20140926_205720.jpg

after:
    20140926_205832.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Added some colour to the engine bay today :)

2qtbyn7.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

There actually is no better feeling that when a box of car parts arrives!
    Well, a bit better when you fit them all yourself. :)
    No problem here - I have no credit card. :cool:
    JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    If you don't mind me asking, Where did you pick those shocks up? [...]

New old stock sold by this guy:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Motorsport-and-Spares-NI?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

======================

McPhersons assembly process, step-by-step.

Clear plastic bag cut to be used as paint protectors (pieces of cardboard for additional protection):

323428.jpg

4 ratchet straps used instead of spring compressors:

323429.jpg

323430.jpg

Ready to go:

323431.jpg

Now, it's time to go and replace. ;)

There were two things wrong with the paint on the E30, the top of the drivers door (Done) and the boot was sort of fuzzy.

Sanded the boot back and buffed it and now it's like new :D

Saved my painting money allows me to buy wheels!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,535 ✭✭✭hoodie6029

Came out to see a flat tyre this morning. Finally gave me the kick I needed to to change the crap tyres I had.
    After a bit of shopping around I got 4 new Hankooks. The car is much smoother and stops better.

The road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

323558.jpg

Not really bad. :)

They'll get dirty quite quickly I'd say. :D

Suspension by Zetor

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Getting... no wait, Taking my Golf back tomorrow. 3 1/2 weeks since ive had it. 1st mechanic put a new lambda sensor and timing belt kit into it and was still misfiring ( didn't charge me a cent so fair play ) , he moved it to another mechanic for 2 weeks and no word, I went up to him last Tuesday and he was on bloody holidays the whole time and arrived home the day before I came up. Gave him my number, havent heard a thing. Will be up tomorrow taking the car back one way or another, bunch of cowboys.

What kind of Golf?

01 1.6. Was misfiring and I couldn't go over 60-70kmph 3 weeks ago Friday gone, engine light was flashing and then the sudden loss of power. Got it towed home from work straight to the garage. Presumed it was the coil pack, obviously not.

When I went up on Tuesday I turned the engine on and still misfiring, engine shaking.

Frustrating.

I wonder is the timing out. I know you got the timing belt done but that's not to say it's still not out. Could have jumped a tooth.

Not a clue mate. Was told by previous owner it was done at 84k miles (it's now on 105k), the mechanic went ahead and chaged it without telling me (presumably why he's not charging me as it didn't fix anything).

Praying for a miracle simple fix so I can swiftly shift it on with the belt done :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭GvidoR

You're going to sell the Golf? :(

• Advertisement

GvidoR wrote: »
    You're going to sell the Golf? :(
    NCT due in March;

Comes back fixed = hold off til NCT/ get NCT done early in the new year and shift off.

Comes back the way it is = get another opinion off a mechanic lads in work recommended. That'll be the final straw, will shift it off then as it is and try get most of my money back.

Advertisement