Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General FPL Chat 2014/15 MOD WARNING POST 1839

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Good read here from BCC Radio 5 Dj Phil Williams on how he won the Radio 5 league last season. Not pointing out anything but the obvious really but still worth the read for fanatics.

http://www.fantasyfootballcheat.co.uk/2014/07/29/how-i-won-the-bbc-radio-5-live-league/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Good third striker option if he ends up at Newcastle though! Although Riviere is .5 cheaper.

Can't see Newcastle paying £15m for him

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Can't see Newcastle paying £15m for him

That's his minimum release clause though. If Harry wants him gone, he may accept less.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Good third striker option if he ends up at Newcastle though! Although Riviere is .5 cheaper.

I think he is a better striker than Riviere and worth the extra .5mil.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,858 ✭✭✭✭CSF

I think 8.5 was the fee agreed with Liverpool.

And yeah people need to appreciate that strikers aren't like defenders and that having the equivalent of the 4.0 defender who starts instead of the 5.0 isn't the same kind of effective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

CSF wrote: »
    I think 8.5 was the fee agreed with Liverpool.

And yeah people need to appreciate that strikers aren't like defenders and that having the equivalent of the 4.0 defender who starts instead of the 5.0 isn't the same kind of effective.

8.5M for clubs in top 4.
    11m for clubs in top 6.
    15m for everyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,858 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    8.5M for clubs in top 4.
    11m for clubs in top 6.
    15m for everyone else.

Oh really, I didn't realise the Liverpool fee was a release clause

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Interesting reading Stoke's forum. Someone created a thread asking them who they would choose to start the season between Cameron/Bardsley, Huth/Wilson or Adam/Ireland.

I focused specifically on the Cameron/Bardsley debate as I was considering going with Cameron and Taylor of Swansea as 3rd defenders and rotating for their superb home fixtures for the first half of the season, but of 3 full pages of responses, their fans favoured Bardsley over Cameron by 24-11.

Now obviously that means nothing if Hughes has a different opinion, but I always tend to find that apart from the odd idiot, most fans who get on specific team forums have watched players week in, week out and generally have a pretty good opinion on the team and players. You would think that Hughes may feel the same regarding Cameron at that right back spot if he recruited Bardsley. He'll end up disappointed as Bardsley is not the answer, but I think I'd put my money on Bardsley to start as their right back, with Huth and Shawcross in the centre and Pieters at left back.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Anyone have a feeling Sturridge is being overlooked a bit too much?

The negatives are obviously the price tag, the fixtures, no Suarez and possible injury (given history).

The pro's however are the ridiculous goals/mins played and he is the sole striker.

I'm torn - with doubts over Dzeko (Aguero/Jovetic) and possibly Giroud - I'd be tempted by Sturridge & Rooney and cheap 3rd striker (or even a 5 man mid with 2 mid pricers like siggy & Puncheon).

Even Rooney will have to share goals/points with RVP. Sturridge could easily bag a brace first game at home to the Saints.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

kennyb3 wrote: »

The negatives are obviously the price tag, the fixtures, no Suarez and possible injury (given history).

The pro's however are the ridiculous goals/mins played and he is the sole striker.

I'm torn - with doubts over Dzeko (Aguero/Jovetic) and possibly Giroud - I'd be tempted by Sturridge & Rooney and cheap 3rd striker (or even a 5 man mid with 2 mid pricers like siggy & Puncheon).

Even Rooney will have to share goals/points with RVP. Sturridge could easily bag a brace first game at home to the Saints.
    I do I'm going with him that's for sure. His time at liverpool has seen him score 0.75 goals per game in the Pl. The 9 games he played without suarez he averaged a goal a game. Apart from city away the first 8 fixtures are decent.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,250 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

#FPL additions: DEF Bakayogo (LEI) £4.0m, DEF Hutton (AVL) £4.0m, DEF Zouma (CHE) £5.0m, DEF Van Aanholt (SUN) £4.5m, GK Ospina (ARS) £5.0m, MID Besic (EVE) £5.0m, DEF Robertson (HUL) £4.5m, DEF Maguire (HUL) £4.5m, Drogba £6.5

https://twitter.com/premierleague

Drogba at £6.5 for anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭tom_k

F1ngers wrote: »

Surely he'll just be a backup and won't get regular game time?

I'd have him in a flash if I thought he would...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

No thanks. Drogba is bench fodder much like Eto last Season. Much better value available in that price range.
    I do I'm going with him that's for sure. His time at liverpool has seen him score 0.75 goals per game in the Pl. The 9 games he played without suarez he averaged a goal a game. Apart from city away the first 8 fixtures are decent.

He is an unknown quantity in a very changed Liverpool team. He could score big or do nothing. Preseason has told us nothing so far. I will probably wait a few weeks and if he is playing well i will bring him in.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,262 ✭✭✭✭manual_man

daylight robbery

respect to the big man, but he's behind Costa, probably behind Torres too(in relation to a starting spot). he's there for his character/dressing room presence more than anything else, in relation to playing time i think substitute appearances will account for the vast majority of his minutes

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

kennyb3 wrote: »

I'm putting my faith in him! Definitely think Liverpool will continue to score goals and now that he is going to be the main man up front you would imagine most of the action is going to include him.

I've got Rooney, Sturridge and Riviere up front for the moment but will likely swap Riviere for one of the 6 mil options to free up some cash and improve my defence.

I'm putting my faith in him! Definitely think Liverpool will continue to score goals and now that he is going to be the main man up front you would imagine most of the action is going to include him.

I've got Rooney, Sturridge and Riviere up front for the moment but will likely swap Riviere for one of the 6 mil options to free up some cash and improve my defence.

he's certainly a differential as things stand. i couldn't really fit him in while being content with the rest of my squad, tho i do have Coutinho. Fletch Rooney and Giroud are my front 3. Liverpool have a great fixture set from GW4, will probably look at him more seriously then

zarquon wrote: »
    No thanks. Drogba is bench fodder much like Eto last Season. Much better value available in that price range.

He is an unknown quantity in a very changed Liverpool team. He could score big or do nothing. Preseason has told us nothing so far. I will probably wait a few weeks and if he is playing well i will bring him in.

He scored 9 in 9 without suarez and with a worse team than they have now. That was back when suarez was suspended is whats shaping my thinking. Ill be taking the opposite approach stick with him for a few weeks and get rid if he doesnt do it.
    There has probably been no more reliable forward option in the game in the last 18 months now that suarez is gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

Lukaku officially an Everton player now.

May the FPL's number 1 love/hate relationship resume for the low, low price of 9.0

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28569197

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭Tramps Like Us

Guys, what do you think about Lambert and Diouf (stoke) will both play much do you reckon?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭FHFC

Guys, what do you think about Lambert and Diouf (stoke) will both play much do you reckon?

Diouf started their friendly up front with Bojan behind him in the hole.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Lambert will only be a bit part player IMO. Ask yourself why Benny Rodgers is signing a 32 year old? Because he won't mind spending extended periods on the bench IMO. He doesn't at all fit the profile of the other players Liverpool are signing.

Re Diouf, he was at Blackburn on loan under Hughes for a season previously and I didn't think much of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭Posada

Anyone with Bruce as a £4.0 defender may want to reconsider after Hull signed centre back Maguire from Sheffield Utd

• Registered Users Posts: 16,304 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I knew this day would come, but not so soon :(

Ryan Bertrand has signed on loan for Southampton. I guess I'll have to find another Targett now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,747 ✭✭✭Ziegler1988

I knew this day would come, but not so soon :(

Ryan Bertrand has signed on loan for Southampton. I guess I'll have to find another Targett now!
    All hail Duffman. Oh yeah!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,474 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

All hail Duffman. Oh yeah!

Just googled him, he's 36 :eek: How about Danny Lafferty instead?

Lukaku officially an Everton player now.

May the FPL's number 1 love/hate relationship resume for the low, low price of 9.0

http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/28569197

£28M. lol in fairness. v streaky player. in fpl terms yeah if you can get him in for the 3/4 games in a row where he goes mental, otherwise avoid avoid avoid

Just googled him, he's 36 :eek: How about Danny Lafferty instead?
    Burnleys back 4 is trippier duff shackell mee. They are trying to sign a CB and if they dont Duff will start. Lafferty was back up to Mee last year and is now probably behind matt taylor in the pecking order aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭touts

Ryan Bertrand has signed on loan for Southampton!

What time is his medical at Liverpool tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

For anyone looking for a very cheap defense, but one that might give you as many clean sheets as you could expect from such a defense, you may find this interesting.

Stoke/Swansea rotate perfectly all season and would give you the following in the first quarter of the season - AVL, BUR, WBA, LEI, SOT, NEW, NEW, SWA, LEI, WHM, ARS, BUR, CPL, QPR.

Players to look at there would be: Neil Taylor (£4.5m), Erik Pieters (£5m), Huth (£5m), Bardsley (£5m) or Cameron (£4.5).

Palace/QPR rotate 34 out of 38 games and would give you the following over the first 10 weeks - HUL, WHM, SUN, BUR, STO, LEI, AVL, SUN.

Players to look at there would be: Marriapa (£4.5m), Ward (£5m), Delaney (£5m), Simpson (£4.5m), Ferdinand (£4.5m), Caulker (£5m).

West Ham rotate perfectly with Palace also and have the likes of Reid, Tomkins and Demel for similar prices, but no guaranteed starters at £4.5m.

Anyway, the point of all this is that you could very easily have 5 defenders who will play every week in your squad which would ease bench worries about the £4.0m guys. These 5 defenders could consist of one big hitter (for example a Terry or Luis), Taylor, Pieters/Huth Mariappa and Simpson/Ferdinand which would give you a Chelsea defender plus two other home defenders playing in 34 out of 38 weeks. If anything goes wrong and you need to call on your bench, you will have the few points coming into your side.

It could conceivably only cost around £24.5m-£25m (a little more if you wanted £5m's instead of the £4.5m's, or Terry instead of Luis) for a big hitter and a guaranteed two home defenders almost every week. Stoke (4th best home record in the league last year) and Palace (well, Pulis) are quite solid at home too so it's not as if you are picking scraps. Go with a keeper from a top team and you're increasing the likelihood of more clean sheets.

Of course it's based on current squads and it could all be blown apart in the next couple of weeks with transfers, but what do you lads reckon? A decent strategy or is it trying to be too clever? Better to just get two defenders in from top sides a couple of squad fillers and move on?

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    For anyone looking for a very cheap defense, but one that might give you as many clean sheets as you could expect from such a defense, you may find this interesting.

Stoke/Swansea rotate perfectly all season and would give you the following in the first quarter of the season - AVL, BUR, WBA, LEI, SOT, NEW, NEW, SWA, LEI, WHM, ARS, BUR, CPL, QPR.

Players to look at there would be: Neil Taylor (£4.5m), Erik Pieters (£5m), Huth (£5m), Bardsley (£5m) or Cameron (£4.5).

Palace/QPR rotate 34 out of 38 games and would give you the following over the first 10 weeks - HUL, WHM, SUN, BUR, STO, LEI, AVL, SUN.

Players to look at there would be: Marriapa (£4.5m), Ward (£5m), Delaney (£5m), Simpson (£4.5m), Ferdinand (£4.5m), Caulker (£5m).

West Ham rotate perfectly with Palace also and have the likes of Reid, Tomkins and Demel for similar prices, but no guaranteed starters at £4.5m.

Anyway, the point of all this is that you could very easily have 5 defenders who will play every week in your squad which would ease bench worries about the £4.0m guys. These 5 defenders could consist of one big hitter (for example a Terry or Luis), Taylor, Pieters/Huth and Mariappa/Simpson/Ferdinand which would give you a Chelsea defender plus two other home defenders playing in 34 out of 38 weeks. If anything goes wrong and you need to call on your bench, you will have the few points coming into your side.

It could conceivably only cost around £24.5m-£25m (a little more if you wanted £5m's instead of the £4.5m's, or Terry instead of Luis) for a big hitter and a guaranteed two home defenders almost every week. Stoke (4th best home record in the league last year) and Palace (well, Pulis) are quite solid at home too so it's not as if you are picking scraps. Go with a keeper from a top team and you're increasing the likelihood of more clean sheets.

Of course it's based on current squads and it could all be blown apart in the next couple of weeks with transfers, but what do you lads reckon? A decent strategy or is it better to just get two defenders in from top sides a couple of squad fillers and move on?
    I think its a great strategy and one Ive been advocating for a while. I think its a waste of time looking further than 6/8 weeks ahead in this game and the way the fixtures have panned out lots of the so called lesser teams have good fixtures in this period. When I build up my budget and a few of the Cl games are out of the way Id plan to make my defence stronger around the 2nd int break with a possible wildcard.

Advertisement