Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Seaneh wrote: »
    From reading this I've come to the conclusion that you just like bland English ales.

Spoons sometimes have decent cask ales but it's most of the taps are occupied by the likes of Ghost Ship, Ruddles County, Doombar, Old Speckled Hen or whatever other bland English pale ale is local to the specific pub and the odd cask of their contract brews from american brewers like Sixpoints etc.

I like my ale to be fresh, full of flavour, well brewed and well kept. If that makes it bland in some peoples' books then so be it.

I'd hazard a guess that most of the posters on this thread would agree with me that JDW supply excellent cask ales...if you think the likes of Abbott, which is one of their staples, is not a top quality ale then I'd say you've got some convincing to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,721 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Chelon wrote: »
    I like my ale to be fresh, full of flavour, well brewed and well kept. If that makes it bland in some peoples' books then so be it.

I'd hazard a guess that most of the posters on this thread would agree with me that JDW supply excellent cask ales...if you think the likes of Abbott, which is one of their staples, is not a top quality ale then I'd say you've got some convincing to do :)

I completely agree that 'spoons have some crackers, but if you really don't rate any of the Irish cask offerings I'd assume your tastebuds were broken.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Abbot ale is the definition of by the numbers brewing. It's as bland as bitter gets.

Green King are the most uninspired brewers on the planet.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Spoons local to me (Black Bull in Bangor) is clean, well laid out, the staff are excellent, the range of beers is good, the clientèle is far from "bad" AND they show football. They are showing every world cup match AND they are having a meet the brewer session with Purple Moose Brewery (local brewers in North Wales) before the opening ceremony tonight so I'll be there for that anyway. Probably watch the match somewhere else though.

You have my sympathies for living in Bangor. I spent 9 months there myself *shudder*.

Faith wrote: »
    You have my sympathies for living in Bangor. I spent 9 months there myself *shudder*.

Which Bangor?
    I'm in North Wales not Down, I'm actually living in Anglesey, Bangor is just the closest big town. I only go there once or twice a week for shopping/meeting people/stocking up on Sixpoint Brewery beers in 'spoons.

• Advertisement

hynesie08 wrote: »
    I completely agree that 'spoons have some crackers, but if you really don't rate any of the Irish cask offerings I'd assume your tastebuds were broken.

It's the lack of supply that may be the problem; I did find the excellent Windjammer, but where is it now? Nowhere to be seen.

Can anyone suggest a good Irish cask beer that is regularly available in Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 347 ✭✭neamhspleachi

Ah Anglesey, fond memories of drinking fine ales at bike rallies there many moons ago

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Can anyone suggest a good Irish cask beer that is regularly available in Dublin?
    For an Abbot's fan? Try Porterhouse TSB. Whatever Dungarvan beer is currently on at The Palace or The Cobblestone would likely be up your street too. I'm not exactly sure what the arrangement at O'Neill's of Suffolk Street is, but the White Gypsy American Brown they had a couple of weeks ago was great. If that's a dedicated White Gypsy engine you won't go far wrong there either.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm not exactly sure what the arrangement at O'Neill's of Suffolk Street is, but the White Gypsy American Brown they had a couple of weeks ago was great. If that's a dedicated White Gypsy engine you won't go far wrong there either.

It's White Gyspy Brunette red ale on now so it might just be a dedicated engine.

For an Abbot's fan? Try Porterhouse TSB. Whatever Dungarvan beer is currently on at The Palace or The Cobblestone would likely be up your street too. I'm not exactly sure what the arrangement at O'Neill's of Suffolk Street is, but the White Gypsy American Brown they had a couple of weeks ago was great. If that's a dedicated White Gypsy engine you won't go far wrong there either.

Cheers, that's helpful - didn't know the Palace/Cobblestone/O'Neills even did cask.

I feel part of the problem in Dublin is that hardly anyone drinks the stuff, so turnover may be quite low.

When I order a pint of cask and look around, most other drinkers are on the usual suspects, except in the Black Sheep which seems to attract a more ale loving crowd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Cheers, that's helpful - didn't know the Palace/Cobblestone/O'Neills even did cask.

I feel part of the problem in Dublin is that hardly anyone drinks the stuff, so turnover may be quite low.

When I order a pint of cask and look around, most other drinkers are on the usual suspects, except in the Black Sheep which seems to attract a more ale loving crowd.

It's very niche and as a result any of the places that do it tend to sell out quickly of any casks that are put on.

didn't know the Palace/Cobblestone/O'Neills even did cask.

I feel part of the problem in Dublin is that hardly anyone drinks the stuff
    I trust you can see the cause and effect in operation here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BaZmO* wrote: »
    It's very niche and as a result any of the places that do it tend to sell out quickly of any casks that are put on.

Once a cask is tap best it sell fast, other can always be sought

oblivious wrote: »
    Once a cask is tap best it sell fast, other can always be sought

Nope, I've read that 5 times and I haven't a clue what you're saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Nope, I've read that 5 times and I haven't a clue what you're saying.

Sorry, its best for cask ale to sell fast,

€4 pints of cask Abbot Ale at The Brew Dock right now. Chelon: they're playing your song.

€4 pints of cask Abbot Ale at The Brew Dock right now. Chelon: they're playing your song.

Nice one - can't wait to sample some more of that bland dross masquerading as beer that just about every ale nut that I know seems to like :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,822 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Nice one - can't wait to sample some more of that bland dross masquerading as beer that just about every ale nut that I know seems to like :D

Is every ale nut you know English?

Is every ale nut you know English?

Bit of a strange question but I'll answer it.

No.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Every cask ale nut I ever met was English. I dont really get the whole cask thing, hopefully Weatherspoons can provide some illumination.

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Every cask ale nut I ever met was English. I dont really get the whole cask thing, hopefully Weatherspoons can provide some illumination.

I'm not that gone on it myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Lucena

There are some cracking cask ales, Abbot isn't really one of them, unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,361 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

JohnK wrote: »
    Has there been any firm talk of dates yet for when they'll open? I know July was mentioned a few months back for Dublin but I don't think I've heard anything about Cork.

Three Tuns (Blackrock) opening July 8th as of today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

coylemj wrote: »
    Three Tuns (Blackrock) opening July 8th as of today.

Good stuff, hopefully Cork won't be far behind it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Which Bangor?
    I'm in North Wales not Down, I'm actually living in Anglesey, Bangor is just the closest big town. I only go there once or twice a week for shopping/meeting people/stocking up on Sixpoint Brewery beers in 'spoons.

Yeah, North Wales. We lived in Menai Bridge but went to college in Bangor, so spent more time in there (and in 'spoons, which I can't agree with your assessment of!) than I'd prefer.

Abbot isn't one of my all time favourites, but the reason I go for it is simply that I don't think I've ever had a bad pint of it....if I'm in a pub which offers samples then I normally try a few then decide but otherwise Abbot can be a fair choice.

I do find it's usually quite good though, different tastes for different folks.

To those cask ale doubters out there - it's a product that is hugely affected by how it's kept. The analogy would be a delicious loaf fresh out of the oven which would go bad if uneaten within a couple of days compared to a factory baked sliced pan which could keep for a week or more. Give the JDW ones a try, when they arrive here.

Faith wrote: »
    Yeah, North Wales. We lived in Menai Bridge but went to college in Bangor, so spent more time in there (and in 'spoons, which I can't agree with your assessment of!) than I'd prefer.

I've been spending more time talking crap to Addie in The Aukland than in 'Spoons.
    Bangor is just where I go to buy stuff I can't get in waitrose/the butchers/the fruit and veg shop or meet people for a beer now and then. The Bull (spoons) has the best selection of beer of any bar in a 100mile radius from what I've seen, it's cleaner than most and I've never seen a "rough" crowd in there.

I'd rather be in 'spoons than in The Albion/Varsity/Anywhere on lower high street.

Beamish and Murphy's at €3.95; no Guinness, according to The Irish Times.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Beamish and Murphy's at €3.95; no Guinness,
    that's fine by me, I don't think it will bother many, in fact I reckon its a good excuse for people to try beamish, which still has this stupid cheapskate stigma attached to it. So in a pub with guinness & beamish some might fear even trying beamish for looking like a cheapskate, but it there is no guinness there is less of an issue. I have seen guinness drinkers change to other stouts in concert venues with no guinness.

I thought it would have been more like 3.50 though.
    It’s a brave move by the British chain given that Guinness accounts for one in every three pints of beer sold in Ireland and is hugely popular with tourists.
    Its hugely "popular" since many pubs only have 1 stout on draught. I drink a fair amount of guinness, its not my preferred stout though, its all that's on offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,025 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

rubadub wrote: »
    that's fine by me, I don't think it will bother many, in fact I reckon its a good excuse for people to try beamish, which still has this stupid cheapskate stigma attached to it. So in a pub with guinness & beamish some might fear even trying beamish for looking like a cheapskate, but it there is no guinness there is less of an issue. I have seen guinness drinkers change to other stouts in concert venues with no guinness.

I thought it would have been more like 3.50 though.

Its hugely "popular" since many pubs only have 1 stout on draught. I drink a fair amount of guinness, its not my preferred stout though, its all that's on offer.

Suits me as well; I stopped drinking Guinness 2 years ago and of the 3 brand name Nitro stouts Beamish is the one I'd go for. By the looks of it it's more than they couldn't bully agree a sweet price with Diageo as none of their lines will be stocked.

From the IT piece....

Among the other beers that will be stocked are Tom Crean’s Irish Lager from Dingle Brewery, Franciscan Well Rebel Red, and craft beers from Eight Degrees Brewing, including Howling Gale, Knockmealdown Porter and Barefoot Bohemian Pilsner.

Will the average drinker look on it as a craft beer pub of sorts?

Advertisement