Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man your pumps, Wetherspoons are coming

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,190 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

ted1 wrote: »
    Are they pints of 440/500/??
    Are the spirits British measures, while VAT is different so is duty, minimum wage, rates, rent, utilities etc. So you can't do a direct conversion

Spirits are 35/70ml in NI.

Yes, of course, VAT on drink is 23% in RoI, versus 20% in NI.

VAT on food here is lower at 9%, versus 20% in NI.

Yes, of course, wages and overheads are higher here.

If I ever get around to it, I plan to convert the NI prices taking into account these adjustments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Confirmation in the Summer 2014 JDW mag of the permanent beers they'll have in The Three Tuns Tavern: Rebel Red, Tom Crean's, Ghostship, Broadside, Hobgoblin, Shipyard Pale Ale, Spindrift, and Revisionist Lager, plus "a changing range of cask beers from local microbrewers".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Shipyard Pale Ale
    The bottled Shipyard stuff from the US that we get here is awful, but Marston's brews a cask version of their pale ale in Burton and it's absolutely stunning. Or at least, those three pints of it I had four years ago were.

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Had Shipyard in a pub near Angel a couple of weeks back on cask, very very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭gucci

Confirmation in the Summer 2014 JDW mag of the permanent beers they'll have in The Three Tuns Tavern: Rebel Red, Tom Crean's, Ghostship, Broadside, Hobgoblin, Shipyard Pale Ale, Spindrift, and Revisionist Lager, plus "a changing range of cask beers from local microbrewers".

As draught lagers go, this is actually quite decent. It might be a little bland for some, but the few I had were a great thirst quencher on a lovely summer day recently.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Strangely, Im equally bored and excited by that list

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

drumswan wrote: »
    Strangely, Im equally bored and excited by that list

It's nothing terribly exciting but the casks they're getting these days, especially the US beers they're having brewed in the UK are generally fantastic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

While something like hobgoblin doesn't sound exciting, it's actually a great pint on cask. The bottle doesn't do it any justice IMO. It's also quite a bit lower in alcohol on cask.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Also, The Three Tun Tavern is a suitably rubbish name

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Probably picked so they can laugh at Paddy trying to pronounce it. :pac:

De Tree Tun Tavern

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

A very solid lineup in my eyes. The beers they had on draught in Belfast were fairly mundane as well but the cask stuff was quite interesting. I wonder what the prices will be like in the end.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Probably picked so they can laugh at Paddy trying to pronounce it. :pac:

De Tree Tun Tavern

De Tree Tun Taverdin

tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭ted1

its the name of the original pub that stood there around the 18th century

do a search on this page https://archive.org/stream/historyofcountyd01ball/historyofcountyd01ball_djvu.txt
    and you'll find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

It'll be interesting to see if they can defeat the cheap beer = bad clientele thing.

They might just manage it with their beer selection, i.e. no bud / bulmers and of course no football.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Big Nasty wrote: »
    It'll be interesting to see if they can defeat the cheap beer = bad clientele thing.

Have you even been in a Spoons?!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Ravelleman wrote: »
    Have you even been in a Spoons?!

Spoons local to me (Black Bull in Bangor) is clean, well laid out, the staff are excellent, the range of beers is good, the clientèle is far from "bad" AND they show football. They are showing every world cup match AND they are having a meet the brewer session with Purple Moose Brewery (local brewers in North Wales) before the opening ceremony tonight so I'll be there for that anyway. Probably watch the match somewhere else though.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭trihead

ted1 wrote: »
    its the name of the original pub that stood there around the 18th century

do a search on this page https://archive.org/stream/historyofcountyd01ball/historyofcountyd01ball_djvu.txt
    and you'll find it.

I read somewhere that they ran a competition where locals from the area put forward names for the new pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭Chelon

Local = Irish *cask* beers??

If they can manage this and present them in good nick then I'll be well impressed.

Have only ever tasted a handful of nice Irish cask, mostly it's fairly awful - probably as much the fault of the pub as the brewer

Chelon wrote: »

If they can manage this and present them in good nick then I'll be well impressed.

Have only ever tasted a handful of nice Irish cask, mostly it's fairly awful - probably as much the fault of the pub as the brewer

The majority of the Irish casked beers I've had in Mulligans, Kavanaghs, GBB pubs, porterhouse, sweetmans, etc have been very good and some of them have been phenomenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

spoons do generally have a good name with cask beer.

• Advertisement

Seaneh wrote: »
    Spoons local to me (Black Bull in Bangor) is clean, well laid out, the staff are excellent, the range of beers is good, the clientèle is far from "bad" AND they show football.

The one in Belfast was hardly rowdy but it doesn't make any gestures towards atmosphere, nor do any Spoons, it seems.

To me it felt like a large drinking room and very little else, though that could have been down to the structure of the building.

And of course there are many other places around Belfast and around Dublin that are just like that too. The atmosphere there definitely changes at night. During the day I found it a lot more inviting. Again, though, that's the nature of a lot of pubs.

Anyway, if you or I go then quality of the clientele will increase immeasurably. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

Has there been any firm talk of dates yet for when they'll open? I know July was mentioned a few months back for Dublin but I don't think I've heard anything about Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

JohnK wrote: »
    Has there been any firm talk of dates yet for when they'll open? I know July was mentioned a few months back for Dublin but I don't think I've heard anything about Cork.

July 7th

oblivious wrote: »
    spoons do generally have a good name with cask beer.

Absolutely agree so high hopes.

The majority of the Irish casked beers I've had in Mulligans, Kavanaghs, GBB pubs, porterhouse, sweetmans, etc have been very good and some of them have been phenomenal.

Are you talking hand pulled ales? I've seen very few Irish ones - even at the RDS festival I thought they were poor, probably due to the hot weather.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

even at the RDS festival I thought they were poor, probably due to the hot weather.
    The lack of stillage didn't help either, I'd say. The standard of cask is better in the dozen or so Dublin pubs that have cask beer.

Incidentally:
    The opening of The Three Tun Tavern will introduce Cask Marque to Ireland - the independent quality accreditation scheme helping millions of drinkers in the UK choose a reliable pint.

The team of Cask Marque inspectors, former brewers, sets the standards for cellar management, staff knowledge and skills and the beer in the glass, which is tested for apprearance, aroma, temperature and taste.

Are you talking hand pulled ales? I've seen very few Irish ones - even at the RDS festival I thought they were poor, probably due to the hot weather.

All of the Galway Bay Brewery bars in Dublin have cask engines and the majority of the beers they offer at any one time would be Irish from breweries like Trouble, Fran Well, White Gypsy, Galway Bay and a few others and they are usually fantastic. Galway Bay themselves have offered Of Foam and Fury and Full Sail in the last while and both were amazing. Trouble's Rye Red Ale, Graffiti and Dark Arts have been on cask in Brew Dock and all 3 were exceptional. Porterhouse have always had their own beers which are fantastic on cask or keg.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,428 ✭✭✭✭ted1

trihead wrote: »
    I read somewhere that they ran a competition where locals from the area put forward names for the new pub.

They gave them a selection of 4 names, people then voted

All of the Galway Bay Brewery bars in Dublin have cask engines and the majority of the beers they offer at any one time would be Irish from breweries like Trouble, Fran Well, White Gypsy, Galway Bay and a few others and they are usually fantastic. Galway Bay themselves have offered Of Foam and Fury and Full Sail in the last while and both were amazing. Trouble's Rye Red Ale, Graffiti and Dark Arts have been on cask in Brew Dock and all 3 were exceptional. Porterhouse have always had their own beers which are fantastic on cask or keg.

I'd really love to agree with you here - I've only been to the Black Sheep and Against the Grain - have you visited all their Dublin pubs personally and found their cask to be excellent, or are you only talking Galway?

I did have a really nice pint of Metalman Windjammer in the Black Sheep but that is the only time. Once in Against the Grain I had an absolutely foul pint of Irish cask ale(can't remember the brewery)- I should have sent it back.

I will *always* ask for a trial glass of any Irish cask ale that I see in any pub. Very few I find are worth drinking.

All of the above is in comparison to JDW where you could almost select any pint at random from the many available and it will invariably be excellent.

• Advertisement

All of the above is in comparison to JDW where you could almost select any pint at random from the many available and it will invariably be excellent.

From reading this I've come to the conclusion that you just like bland English ales.

Spoons sometimes have decent cask ales but it's most of the taps are occupied by the likes of Ghost Ship, Ruddles County, Doombar, Old Speckled Hen or whatever other bland English pale ale is local to the specific pub and the odd cask of their contract brews from american brewers like Sixpoints etc.

Advertisement