Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Hazards of Belief

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Obliq wrote: »
    *Spits on hand*

Ewwww gross! :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭Obliq

Jernal wrote: »
    Ewwww gross! :(

Wut?! Is there a better way of sealing a deal? *Spits on Ronan Mullen* might be more gratifying, but possibly illegal. Hmmm. Lightweight. Wouldn't last a minute in a horse-fair ;-) (Neither would I, to be fair).

*virtual spit*, if it makes you feel better.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

That numpty in Europe? Jesus f*cking Christ.

Sarky wrote: »
    That numpty in Europe? Jesus f*cking Christ.

No, no. I'm writing the address, as well as tying him in very tight knots with the packing tape :cool: Suggestions for where to send him welcome.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 19,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

No, no. I'm writing the address, as well as tying him in very tight knots with the packing tape :cool: Suggestions for where to send him welcome.

There is that new island off Pakistan....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    There is that new island off Pakistan....

No, don't be cruel send him to his spiritual home, a country where disagreement with religious orthodoxy is severley punished.

Saudi Arabia, here he comes!

Oh, I talked to the local post mistress, An Post will do a special deal, anywhere in the world for Ronan only €5, no return to sender allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Nah, send him to North Korea. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Nah, send him to North Korea. :pac:

That might be considered an act of war.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,208 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

http://www.teachdontpreach.ie/2013/08/national-schools-give-pupil’s-private-information-to-priests/
    National schools give pupil’s private information to priests.

Posted on August 14, 2013 by Jane Donnelly

Publicly funded National schools are handing over the contact details of some children to priests. This breaches the Data Protection Acts and the human right to private and family life under the European Convention (Article 8).

How would you feel if a Catholic priest rang you up and asked why your child is not making first Holy Communion? If you decide to opt out your child from the Holy Communion class in your local National school then you could be getting that type of phone call from your local Catholic priest.

Some parents have told us that during the phone conversation they are asked to reflect on their lives and pressure is put on them to let their child take first Holy Communion.

FFS.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

****in' hell, that's pretty despicable.

• Advertisement

Not calm enough to respond civilly yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,849 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Unfortunately, any transition of our schools to the 21st century probably requires the sacking of the entire civil service within the Department of Education. :mad:

The first comment after the article is logical, in that the priests in question are probably on the Boards of Management. Data sharing with a 3rd party wouldn't be the case then - misuse of data certainly.

Also, how come none of us spotted this before? It was up since August!

The first comment after the article is logical, in that the priests in question are probably on the Boards of Management. Data sharing with a 3rd party wouldn't be the case then - misuse of data certainly.

Also, how come none of us spotted this before? It was up since August!

So many outrages so little time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

Robertson: Tithers Don't Have Health, Financial Problems.

My husband has medical expenses, so we barely have any money.
    We still tithe, but would it be wrong to use that money towards medical expenses instead?
    -- A Viewer

Pat Robertson: "Your husband be sick cos you didn't give 'nuff money and didn't give faithfully." "The lord is watchin'."

What. A. D*ck.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Arab states are reported to be working on a new international blasphemy law:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/qatar/arab-blasphemy-law-being-drafted-1.1238319
    Gulf News wrote:
    Manama: Arab countries are working on a draft law that bans the defamation of religions and empowers them to take abusers to court even if they are not residents. The draft, presented by Qatar, is being reviewed by delegates from several Arab countries at the Arab League.

Under its provisions, all forms of defamation, derision or denigration of religions and prophets will be considered crimes. “The main feature of the draft is that it gives every state the right to put on trial those who abuse and hold in contempt religions even if they are outside the country,” Ebrahim Mousa Al Hitmi, the Qatari justice ministry assistant undersecretary for legal affairs, said, local Arabic daily Al Arab reported on Wednesday.

The official insisted that the draft law does not clash with freedom of expression. “The law does not interfere in any way with the freedom of opinion and expression which is well protected and guaranteed. All penal laws in Arab countries criminalise defamation of religions but there are no specific sanctions when an abuser is outside the country. Therefore, the main goal of this law is to deter all forms of defamation of religions and give each country that ratifies it the right to file lawsuits against those who offend religions, even if they are not residents,” he said.

The official attributed the Qatari initiative to a drive to counter relentless campaigns targeting religions. The draft will be taken up by the Arab justice ministers when they convene.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭Banbh

Well Ireland can sign up to that, seeing as we already have an anti-blasphemy law on the statute books.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Let me get this straight. They want it so that if I'm in Ireland and I say something like 'Muhammed was a violent pederast' they can prosecute me under Qatari law? Will they want me to be extradited to Qatar to stand trial for this? And they want it so that someone in, say, Finland can prosecute someone in South Africa for blasphemy, even if the 'offence' was committed in South Africa?

Would that mean that it could set a precedent for extending laws, such as those ensuring women's rights, globally and prosecuting strict Muslims for things like false imprisonment for not allowing women out unchaperoned? "Sorry mate, if you can prosecute someone in Manchester for blasphemy I can prosecute someone in Doha for domestic violence".

• Registered Users Posts: 33,336 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The only thing I see happening from this is far more "Draw Muhammad Day"-type protests.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

kylith wrote: »
    Would that mean that it could set a precedent for extending laws, such as those ensuring women's rights, globally and prosecuting strict Muslims for things like false imprisonment for not allowing women out unchaperoned? "Sorry mate, if you can prosecute someone in Manchester for blasphemy I can prosecute someone in Doha for domestic violence".
    Sure, you could extend the applicability of the laws, but it would really be a willy-waving contest where countries waste lots of resources prosecuting people they can never get their hands on.

Extraditions are basically never granted where the "crime" was committed outside of the jurisdiction of the prosecuting state. Though the US is famously one to throw its weight around in this regard when you look at the Julian Assange situation.
    And even if the crime is committed inside of the prosecuting state, it usually has to be serious enough to warrant extradition - murder, rape, etc. As backward as we are, I can't see any western state extraditing a citizen to Qatar because he blasphemed online.
    Though you'd probably want to steer clear of the middle east from then on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

seamus wrote: »
    Sure, you could extend the applicability of the laws, but it would really be a willy-waving contest where countries waste lots of resources prosecuting people they can never get their hands on.

Extraditions are basically never granted where the "crime" was committed outside of the jurisdiction of the prosecuting state. Though the US is famously one to throw its weight around in this regard when you look at the Julian Assange situation.
    And even if the crime is committed inside of the prosecuting state, it usually has to be serious enough to warrant extradition - murder, rape, etc. As backward as we are, I can't see any western state extraditing a citizen to Qatar because he blasphemed online.
    Though you'd probably want to steer clear of the middle east from then on.

So I'd be more likely to be tried and convicted in absentia and arrested if I ever showed up at the Qatari border? I can live with never going there, so that's grand.

Let me get this straight. They want it so that if I'm in Ireland and I say something like 'Muhammed was a violent pederast' they can prosecute me under Qatari law?
    Hard to say at the moment. Far as I can make out from the article, it seems they're just implementing a mutual extradition treaty for blasphemy-related "offences" amongst themselves. I don't believe it'll extend past the Gulf region, though I'm sure they'll try it at some point.

So I'd be more likely to be tried and convicted in absentia and arrested if I ever showed up at the Qatari border? I can live with never going there, so that's grand.
    But what if your flight to Australia stopped over? Or would you be sure that Pakistan or Somalia or Indonesia wouldn't arrest you and hand you over for a fair trial in Qatar.

Justice Antonin Scalia, one of the catholics on the US Supreme Court, believes the devil is "a real person":

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2013/10/07/justice-antonin-scalia-the-devil-is-getting-people-not-to-believe-in-him-or-in-god/

As one of the commenters points out, on the basis of this interview, Scalia isn't qualified to decide what to have for dinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

The fear would be that they'd start funnelling their resources into illegal extradition teams. (Like the US has done.) If you say something that they deem blasphemous and convict you and some militia group kidnapped you back to Qatar there'd be no way back for you.
    Those laws are very scary if they intend applying them to every citizen on earth.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,603 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Brian Shanahan

robindch wrote: »
    Arab states are reported to be working on a new international blasphemy law:

http://gulfnews.com/news/gulf/qatar/arab-blasphemy-law-being-drafted-1.1238319

If this country was any way right it would declare that any country to take up that law is to be considered hostis humani generis.

But they'd do the same for those engaged in libel tourism and the gagging of science journals through libel, if they were any way right.

Edit: given that it's Qatar that's proposing this I'd like to outline a thought I had re the WC there in 2022. If Ireland do qualify for it shouldn't we petition the FAI to adopt the gay pride colours as an away jersey to be used in all matches (as it won't clash with anyone elses) during the tournament)? It'd be a great thing for human rights and stick one up to the little fúcks running the country.

When Brendan Behan was told that he had been tried in absentia by the IRA he said that they could execute him in absentia as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Jernal wrote: »
    The fear would be that they'd start funnelling their resources into illegal extradition teams. (Like the US has done.) If you say something that they deem blasphemous and convict you and some militia group kidnapped you back to Qatar there'd be no way back for you.
    Those laws are very scary if they intend applying them to every citizen on earth.

I'd imagine the EU and the US would go utterly ape**** if they did that to one of their citizens.

The yanks have gone to war over less.

• Advertisement

I'd imagine the EU and the US would go utterly ape**** if they did that to one of their citizens.

The yanks have gone to war over less.
    Not if it was Saudi Arabia or Bahrain; the US isn't going upset its cosy relationship there. In fact, if the US chose to, it could pull the plug on that medieval dung-heap tomorrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement