Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Biker / Jeep Incident - New York (uncivil posts get a paddling)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 906 ✭✭✭Eight Ball

So a few bikers out for a spin are going a bit slow for you and you'd drive over them? Lovely.

Oh no he had his kid in his car so all is okay. FFS.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

This has already been relatively clarified

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/10/01/update-biker-arrested-for-causing-new-york-range-rover-sport-incident/

Basically the bikers are a pack of scummy bastids that cause mayhem every year.

The poor RR driver had knife wounds on his face, and was seriously beaten.

Pity the video ends when it does. Would be curious to see how it played out.

Pity the video ends when it does. Would be curious to see how it played out.

Hopefully with the car driver getting the living s h I t kicked out of him.

The driver of the RR was very restrained in his actions in my opinion.
    Eight Ball wrote: »

He should have reversed back on the bikes behind him when they attacked his car. Them bikers were pure and utter scum and should all face severe punishment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Did you watch a different video to me?

Incase anyone doesn't read the link-out
    Yesterday we reported an incident that occurred in New York over the weekend involving a bike gang and a Range Rover Sport. The entire event was captured on video and now multiple sources are reporting that the biker we saw who caused the original accident, 28 year old Christopher Cruz, has been arrested. Cruz is set to be charged with menacing, reckless endangerment and endangering the welfare of a child.

The identity of the Range Rover Sport driver has been confirmed as 33 year old Alexian Lien who was travelling with his wife Rosalyn Ng, and their 2-year-old daughter. Its thought that around 30 bikers followed the Range Rover following the incident. The event, an annual ride from Brooklyn to Times Square known as Hollywood Block Party, had been organised by a man known as Hollywood Stuntz. Police had been monitoring the event and arrested 15 bikers, confiscated 55 motorcycles and issued 68 summonses.

It is being reported that one of the bikers, 32 year old Edwin Mieses was taken to hospital following the incident. He is currently in a critical condition, having sustained broken legs. Doctors have placed Mieses in a medically-induced coma at St. Luke’s-Roosevelt Hospital. There is some suggestion he could have been paralysed by the accident.

The driver of the Range Rover Sport, Alexander Lien sustained knife wounds to his face. He was admitted to hospital for treatment. He received stitches before being discharged. Police are still searching for the two bikers who carried out the attack. Lien was not expected to be charged, but the police department is still investigating the incident.

Almost all of the bikers involved had their numberplates removed. Many were not even registered for the road or even road-legal. The videos below show that on past events, and on this weekend’s event, violence had broken out. Sources suggest that last year an incident occurred between a bus and a rider when the rider smashed the rear window with a crowbar. The video below shows those involved riding on the pavements and even attacking a Prius driver. Seems as though the whole event was an accident waiting to happen…

The videos below show similar events organised in the same area (probably by the same person):

etc

This has already been relatively clarified

http://www.gtspirit.com/2013/10/01/update-biker-arrested-for-causing-new-york-range-rover-sport-incident/

Basically the bikers are a pack of scummy bastids that cause mayhem every year.

The poor RR driver had knife wounds on his face, and was seriously beaten.

Proper order.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,222 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Proper order.

What would be the alternate solution ?

Get out of the Jeep and get the life kicked out of you, or perhaps your wife and kid also ?

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭hansfrei

RR driver was very restrained. I'd have done something horrendeous.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Did the rr driver do anything to provoke them to begin with?
    Its kinda of unclear from the video, it looks like they had slowed down infront of him and he started driving up close to them because they started breaking infront of him.

They then stop around him to confront him and he fears for his life,

But then the video may have been edited to show it this way

• Registered Users Posts: 51,155 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

What would be the alternate solution ?

Get out of the Jeep and get the life kicked out of you, or perhaps your wife and kid also ?

Uzi 9mm...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭visual

The ranger rover guy didnt care who he hurt running over at least two bikes and possibly same number of riders.

visual wrote: »
    The ranger rover guy didnt care who he hurt running over at least two bikes and possibly same number of riders.

When you're backed into a corner by a group of aggressive bikers, I doubt you'd be any different!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

He wasn't attacked till after he had ran over a number of bikers. Don't get me wrong the bikers were being assholes taking up all three lanes. Looks like a case of bystander effect. When one person gave chase the others follow. There is no evidence from the video that it was an orchestrated attack. I have been clipped by cars before when I rode motorcycles and they have refused to stop. I was to ride nowaday I would carry a notebook to take a reg if an offending driver refused to stop.

Read the article and the article on how these attacks are known to happen. He should have ran over more of them, waste of oxygen is all them scum bags are. He really should have stuck it in reverse when the fella was braking his window with the helmet and drove over anyone or thing that wanted to stand behind him.
    He wasn't attacked till after he had ran over a number of bikers. Don't get me wrong the bikers were being assholes taking up all three lanes. Looks like a case of bystander effect. When one person gave chase the others follow. There is no evidence from the video that it was an orchestrated attack. I have been clipped by cars before when I rode motorcycles and they have refused to stop. I was to ride nowaday I would carry a notebook to take a reg if an offending driver refused to stop.

His car was being attacked when he drove over the bikes, that's why he did it and even if they weren't attacking him its obvious from the bike that brake tested him that they were looking for trouble so why would he sit around when surrounded by attackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Ryann Clever Account, take it down about 3 pegs. There is no need to condone injuring or hurting anyone.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

They had no right to box him in for other scummers to attack his vehicle and possibly his family in order to extort money out of him then.

The adrenaline reaction of flight or fight applies here and you aint gonna fight 100+ bikers out looking for trouble.

Biker gangs should be banned outright, always afew unemployed lowlife wasters who feel the need to outdo other better off members in order to feel adeuate and because they are in an "Organisation" they feel justified.

Bull****, i would have done the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

The driver of the RR was very restrained in his actions in my opinion........
    He should have reversed back on the bikes behind him when they attacked his car

I don't think driving over a motorcyclist is restrained. And, prepared to drive forwards over a motorcyclist he hardly needs encouragement to reverse over any either - he seems to have scant regard for human life as it is.

Them bikers were pure and utter scum and should all face severe punishment.

Scum ? Says who - you ?
    They most certainly are traffic muppets - I watched some of their other videos and their riding is appalling, no question. They are a risk to themselves and others.

But you're still not allowed to drive over another human being with a 2.5 tonne vehicle. As a driver of such, you are expected to operate it with due care & attention, not use it as a weapon.

When you do, and even if you get beaten up for it, you're lucky you're left alive tbh. In the US particularly so - either party could have been armed.

We know nothing about RR man's behaviour except his blind faith in that his 'weapon' is bigger than most others.

Until you you get caught (litearlly) in traffic, that is...........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Police said Lien initially stopped after the accident, but several angry bikers began to bash his car with their helmets and slash his tires before he fled.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/cops-hunt-bikers-wanted-wild-upper-manhattan-attack-article-1.1472419

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    Ryann Clever Account, take it down about 3 pegs. There is no need to condone injuring or hurting anyone.
    Thanks

Sorry, I got a bit carried away.

galwaytt wrote: »
    I don't think driving over a motorcyclist is restrained. And, prepared to drive forwards over a motorcyclist he hardly needs encouragement to reverse over any either - he seems to have scant regard for human life as it is.

Scum ? Says who - you ?
    They most certainly are traffic muppets - I watched some of their other videos and their riding is appalling, no question. They are a risk to themselves and others.

But you're still not allowed to drive over another human being with a 2.5 tonne vehicle. As a driver of such, you are expected to operate it with due care & attention, not use it as a weapon.

When you do, and even if you get beaten up for it, you're lucky you're left alive tbh. In the US particularly so - either party could have been armed.

We know nothing about RR man's behaviour except his blind faith in that his 'weapon' is bigger than most others.

All reports on the incident and the fact the bikers are being charged and the driver is not suggest he was totally in the right with his actions.

I can't believe (a small few) people are defending these bikers. If you were being attacked would you sit there and take it? I think you are entitled to defend yourself when being attacked by a large gang and are in fear of your life and that of your family and if defending yourself means having to plough through wants in your path so be it.

Its no different to defending yourself in your home if being attacked or robbed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

Seriously now TT they blocked him in with a view to extorting him and were slashing his tyres after purposefully setting the chain of events in motion.

If they hadn't have boxed him in nobody would have been hurt and they were playing on that common civil behaviour (none of which they showed) but didn't take into account a parents adrenaline reflex.

All reports on the incident and the fact the bikers are being charged and the driver is not suggest he was totally in the right with his actions.

I can't believe (a small few) people are defending these bikers. If you were being attacked would you sit there and take it? I think you are entitled to defend yourself when being attacked by a large gang and are in fear of your life and that of your family and if defending yourself means having to plough through wants in your path so be it.

Its no different to defending yourself in your home if being attacked or robbed.

As someone who has been assaulted by a BMW driver in traffic, whilst on my bike, I understand completely.

It bears no comparison whatsoever to being at home - you go out and drive over someone - sorry, it's not whether you get comeuppance, it's just to what level you'll get it.

Why do you the RR man shouldn't 'sit there and take it', but a motorcyclist should ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Scum ? Says who - you ?

It speaks volumes that the only people being prosecuted are the bikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

That is what he says. I did not see anything to that effect in the video. Not saying it did not happen. The video does not prove any attack initially. I saw innapropriate braking yes, I saw a number of bikers being driven over yes, I saw the chase yes, I believe there was an assualt after he was caught up with. Everything else is uncertain. Maybe the RR driver had a bout of road rage. We just don't know. Not from that video if other videos surface then we have something to talk about. Dash cam are common enough maybe something will surface.

Seriously now TT they blocked him in with a view to extorting him and were slashing his tyres after purposefully setting the chain of events in motion.

If they hadn't have boxed him in nobody would have been hurt and they were playing on that common civil behaviour (none of which they showed) but didn't take into account a parents adrenaline reflex.

Yes they did, and that was wrong. It would be informative to have some footage before that happened - was there an incident further back the road that started all this off ?? The extort/slash theory is exactly that for now - speculation.

But you still can't drive over someone.

Ode To The Motorist

As someone who has been assaulted by a BMW driver in traffic, whilst on my bike, I understand completely.

It bears no comparison whatsoever to being at home - you go out and drive over someone - sorry, it's not whether you get comeuppance, it's just to what level you'll get it.

Why do you the RR man shouldn't 'sit there and take it', but a motorcyclist should ?

Seriously, read up on the incident and watch the video before commenting further. You obviously don't understand what happened.

The bikers were in the wrong, that fact has long since been established, hence why they are either facing charges or wanted by the law. They boxed him in and attacked him, did you expect him to sit there and take that?

He is facing no charges, even though he ran people over so obviously he had good reason to.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

That is what he says. I did not see anything to that effect in the video. Not saying it did not happen. The video does not prove any attack initially. I saw innapropriate braking yes, I saw a number of bikers being driven over yes, I saw the chase yes, I believe there was an assualt after he was caught up with. Everything else is uncertain. Maybe the RR driver had a bout of road rage. We just don't know. Not from that video if other videos surface then we have something to talk about. Dash cam are common enough maybe something will surface.

His tyres were slashed. This could only have happened before he took off, driving over the bikers, no?

Loads of the bikers had Gopros, but none of the footage has surfaced yet. Wonder why...

• Advertisement

Bit of a moot point since this is a statement from the Police and they have charged the bikers and not pressed charges against the RR Driver.

Advertisement