Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gay Pride Parade

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,248 ✭✭✭✭endacl

So you are arguing verbal or physical abuse over an accent is not a fair comparison to verbal and physical abuse over ones sexuality?

Persecution is persecution, full stop. Whether it's for being fat, gay, tiny , black or your accent. It's not right to single out being gay as worse than any other reason narrow minded thugs will persecute people for.

Fair point. The pride parade wasnt about persecution though, was it?

Thread, meet blind alley. Blind alley, say hello to thread. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,573 ✭✭✭pragmatic1

Wompa1 wrote: »
    What about other groups? I remember two Americans getting beat to sh1t in Castlebar when I lived there because of their accents.

What about people with Ginger hair?

How about Nigerians and Travellers?

How about short people, fat people, religious people?

There's closed minded people about all kinds of groups of people, not just gay people. It doesn't mean it's right but it's not a cross that they carry alone.
    I didn't say other groups don't get vilified and abused. Racism is rife in this country. However, that's not the talking point in this thread.
    So I'm not really sure what your point is.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭bitburger

as someone whos just really coming to terms with who he is in the past 12 months I attended pride yesterday, i wasnt going to go until i ran into a friend at the last minute who said they were going so i asked to tag along, ive always sort of concieved the gay scene as somthing i wouldnt enjoy and "too camp" went in my normal clothes and for the most part didnt act too differently than i normally would

I arrived onto o connell street and joined in one of the floats as it passed, the craic begun almost straight away, met up with some more friends who i went to school with but never really gelled with, marched away to merrion then, straight in and most of us danced away at the street party, made some more new friends, hung around for a while then between mother and the frontloungue and a couple of other places before queuing to get into the george until 12 and caught my last bus.

honestly had a great time and ive probably been the most comfortable ive ever been about who i am, and a lot of misconceptions were proven wrong. so with that i think yes, pride does have a reason and im so glad i attended it ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

What is politically fashionable?

What is socially acceptable?

Follow the line with regard to the above and you'll generally just be stating the obvious.

What riles me is when people do that as if they are some underground revolutionary group saving the world.

99% of people agree with you so chill the feck out and save your breath until the rare case of genuine prejudice emerges.

It's also a very common phenomenon for those within the so-called cosseted politically fashionable groups to overstep the mark knowing full well that few will object for fear of being labelled as being anti-insert fashionable group here.

Therefore it is all the more important that credible and valid dissent towards these groups is permitted. These groups themselves emerged as a kind of protest against the dictatorial thinking of bygone eras and they grow from strength and strength, ironically growing more and more abrasive as less and less institutional barriers exist to oppress them. It is vitally important that they afford dissenters the same privilege that was once so sacred to them and that we are allowed to hear those who speak out in search of justice/truth in spite of the fact these unfashionable dissenters are likely to be misunderstood, smeared or ridiculed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

donfers wrote: »
    What is politically fashionable?
    Defending Israel to the hilt, Irish people excusing loyalism, finding only fault with Nelson Mandela, backlash against atheists.
    Anti anti establishment is the new anti establishment.

Free speech isn't absolute. A person has the responsibility to air their views in a civil, considered manner - and to the right audience.

A well-thought-out view that dissents from the liberal outlook is fine - it's when it's expressed in a manner that's inflammatory and divisive that it's not fine. And whenever people get up in arms about the challenging of such ass-hattery and go on about it being an affront to free speech yadda yadda, they're missing the point: it's not the view, it's the WAY in which it is put out there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Mrs Doyles response to this

• Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭Laneyh

Wompa1 wrote: »
    What about other groups? I remember two Americans getting beat to sh1t in Castlebar when I lived there because of their accents.

What about people with Ginger hair?

How about Nigerians and Travellers?

How about short people, fat people, religious people?

There's closed minded people about all kinds of groups of people, not just gay people. It doesn't mean it's right but it's not a cross that they carry alone.

Where is anyone gay or otherwise laying exclusive claim to abuse,victimisation or discrimination?

Gingers are indeed much maligned and unfortunate as they do not have any special status with respect to discrimination.
    There are most likely individual cases where people have been bullied and that is categorically wrong. Does ginger bashing continue into adulthood ? If so there are worse assholes out there than a thought. In any case gingers have all of the same rights as non-gingers - lesbian,gay and transgender people do not

We have a blasphemy law which protects religious people from discrimination / abuse
    In addition religious parades are not only tolerated but actively supported
    The Corpus Christi procession can go wherever they want - in Dublin they chose to hold the procession in Drumcondra. In Cork it was through the city centre resulting in road closures, traffics diversions and Garda resources being utilised

Nigerians have equal legal rights with the exception of asylum seekers but in terms of discrimination / racism aimed at Nigerians is an offence
    Africa Day celebrates African culture including Nigerian and is supported by the office for integration, local government and a number of community groups

Travellers also have the same rights as settled people and discrimination laws specific to them - whether these are enforced is another matter but they do exist

So too does Traveller Pride week - this is supported by traveller groups and council / local government groups.
    It doesn't get much support, media attention or interest from anyone outside of the travelling community. Pride has developed a lot over the years to become what it is today. Many large companies have their own pride groups plus there are a lot of other commercial groups interested in developing the relationship with Pride. Traveller Pride is probably a harder sell tbh

Short people and fat people have the same rights as everyone else. They may experience bullying but they are not discriminated against by law
    If they do experience bullying or harassment they can pursue this legally as far as I know.

If there is ever a time where there is a short/ fat/ ginger pride parade I've no issue with that either. Maybe we can find some short fat ginger gay travellers to organise the mother of all parades

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Free speech isn't absolute.

Then it's not free speech.

Of course gingers are picked on, and rightly so. They don't have souls.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Then it's not free speech.

This again...?

Anybody up for a 'semantics' sub forum?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Henlars67 wrote: »
    I believe in equality, and a group of people who aren't treated as equal holding a parade which says "we're different" does bother me.

The parade happens for a few hours once a year. It's a small window for gay people to get out on the streets to say that they have PRIDE in who they are before they go back to the other 364 and a half days of the year when they are subjected to the most appalling treatment in their ordinary lives from not all, but a significant portion of society.

You are bothered by this ?.......let me get out the violin for you !!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Femme_Fatale

CommanderC wrote: »
    The parade happens for a few hours once a year. It's a small window for gay people to get out on the streets to say that they have PRIDE in who they are before they go back to the other 364 and a half days of the year when they are subjected to the most appalling treatment in their ordinary lives from not all, but a significant portion of society.
    No they're not. They have it easy. Heterosexual white men have it way worse in their day-to-day lives - keep up!

No they're not. They have it easy. Heterosexual white men have it way worse in their day-to-day lives - keep up!

I have it grand. What am I missing?!? Who's secretly oppressing me? Cease and desist! Immediately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

endacl wrote: »
    I have it grand. What am I missing?!? Who's secretly oppressing me?

Women. Our bosom wielding oppressors have no mercy.

Nodin wrote: »

Why those sneaky no good low down lovely cuddly......

Fire away girls! I'm oppressible!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

Defending Israel to the hilt, Irish people excusing loyalism, finding only fault with Nelson Mandela, backlash against atheists.
    Anti anti establishment is the new anti establishment.

Free speech isn't absolute. A person has the responsibility to air their views in a civil, considered manner - and to the right audience.

A well-thought-out view that dissents from the liberal outlook is fine - it's when it's expressed in a manner that's inflammatory and divisive that it's not fine. And whenever people get up in arms about the challenging of such ass-hattery and go on about it being an affront to free speech yadda yadda, they're missing the point: it's not the view, it's the WAY in which it is put out there.

I don't even agree with northwesterner but looking back at his posts all they resembled were a contrary opinion, he didn't step over the line or deliberately engage in trolling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

It's no joke. Imagine being beaten around the face with these,
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/carnival-atmosphere-at-annual-gay-pride-parade-29383288.html
    and having them rubbed in your face while lunatics shout "There is No Cake!!!Love The Gays!!!!"...its like communist china

• Registered Users Posts: 2,933 ✭✭✭holystungun9

Nodin wrote: »

Here here! Don't go sticking your boobs in my face with your Female agenda. It would be a near impossible task for you. It would take a lot of time and a lot of boobs in my face so you have very little hope. PM me ladies if you really do have to moves to match your convictions.

*gets nekid and watches for PMs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,225 ✭✭✭Yitzhak Rabin

No probs with gay people whatsoever, and would support them in their right for marriage equality.

Just not sure what a load of middle-aged men wearing assless chaps and leather hats marching down O Connell street achieves?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Were there not other people there too?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Henlars67 wrote: »
    What's the point?

I don't understand it at all.

Nobody cares if you're gay/straight/bi or anything else.

Why feel the need to shout it from the rooftops.

As far as I'm concerned gay people are no different to me except for their sexual preference.

I'd have no problem supporting them in a protest against marriage inequality, but as far as I'm concerned Pride parades/marches are just ridiculous.

I'm sure it's a good day out and I hope they all enjoyed themselves, but it's just nonsense.

St Partick's Day Parade...

What's the point?

Nobody cares if you're Irish or anything else.

As far as I'm concerned Irish people are no different to me except for their drinking behaviour.

I'd have no problem supporting them in a protest against tax inequality, but as far as I'm concerned Pride parades/marches are just ridiculous.

I'm sure it's a good day out and I hope they all enjoyed themselves, but it's just nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Ruudi_Mentari

How you guys had a ball.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

No probs with gay people whatsoever, and would support them in their right for marriage equality.

Just not sure what a load of middle-aged men wearing assless chaps and leather hats marching down O Connell street achieves?

Had you been there you would know that the outrageous costumes made up a tiny, tiny percentage of the crowd that marched. The reason they were the only pics you possibly saw online or in papers is because they were eye-catching and everyone else was just in your average jeans, runners and whatever else you'd wear on a long day on your feet marching through the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 DeeDee89

Yes and so it starts--- oh Lord!!

DeeDee89 wrote: »
    Yes and so it starts--- oh Lord!!

Started there a week ago. Where've you been?!?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭Henlars67

Shenshen wrote: »
    St Partick's Day Parade...

What's the point?

Nobody cares if you're Irish or anything else.

As far as I'm concerned Irish people are no different to me except for their drinking behaviour.

I'd have no problem supporting them in a protest against tax inequality, but as far as I'm concerned Pride parades/marches are just ridiculous.

spot on

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

I wonder how many of the people who couldn't see the point of it, or had independently drawn their own conclusions as to its purpose, actually attended Pride this year to see what it was about and what the participant's own views on its purpose were?

Gay pride is about showing other gay people its ok to be gay.

Like Anto below. On a normal day he cannot walk down a street like this with out people shouting at him for being gay. .... .

http://static1.demotix.com/sites/default/files/imagecache/a_scale_large/2200-9/photos/1372763815-gay-pride-2013--dublin_2214519.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

Think of the grief footballers like Graeme Le Saux or Sol Campbell got, and they weren't even Gay ffs!

I think society's still about 20 years short of full social acceptance for LGBT people, in the future Homophobia will be seen as being unacceptable as racism.

• Advertisement
Advertisement