Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2013: Mentored Novices Thread......Take 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭shortstuff!

I think running has turned me into a morning person:O I usually set the alarm for 6.30 and snooze but saw the sun this morning and thought great I'll get up for a quick run before work..only it's a REST day and they must be observed:( Legs better thank me for it on my Lsr tomorrow! Got up anyway and cleaned the house, maybe I'm coming down with something?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

Laois_Man wrote: »
    A disc irratating the sciatic nerve.....but it feels a bit different this time now! But I'd say it's the same.

I suffered with really bad sciatica in 2010 for the best part of a year, exact same problem as that. It was agony to stand/sit/lie down and once in one of those positions i didnt move out of it for a while.

Was going to a physio every week, she recommended acupuncture, which i had never tried, but i would have done anything to get rid of that pain, shortly after starting the acupuncture the pain started to fade, dont know 100% if thats what it was down to, but it might be worth a shot. Get the odd twinge every now and then but try to be very cautious about my back as I dont think i can go through that again, Hope you get sorted though laois man, i know what its like!

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭greenb

Got up anyway and cleaned the house,

What part of "rest day" don't you understand!:D

Laois_Man wrote: »
    Greenb. I only started running nearly 10 months ago too and I've been injured for 16 days now and little or no sign of much improvement. I'd swap your complaint for mine any day!

I bet you would!......must be incredibly frustrating. Hope you see big improvement soon and can get back to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

When you're doing this one you can also stretch one of the smaller calf muscles by keeping your back straight and extending your knee forward over the foot of the leg thats nearer the wall

If you keep the back leg straight you are stretching the Gastronemius (The smaller of the two muscles believe it or not). By bending the knee you are taking this muscle out of action as the muscle connects just above the back of the knee.

By bending the knee you are working on the soleus. As the Gastronemius actually covers the majority of the soleus sometimes it can be hard for people to differentiate which muscle the pain is coming from

• Advertisement

greenb wrote: »
    Couldn't have dreamed of writing this a year ago, when the most exercise I'd had in 25 years was a short walk to the pub.

The last few months I've been averaging 25 to 30 miles a week, just building a base before marathon training. Now I've had a bad sinus infection for the past couple of weeks and have only got out for 1 6 mile run last week and none this week.......I'm losing my mind. Am really tempted to go out again but this infection is not clearing up and I still have some chest congestion...have been told symptoms below the neck, don't run.

Two questions: 1) would it really do me any harm to start doing a few easy runs with a chesty cough...and 2) how much is two weeks and counting with no running going to set me back...I'm panicking!

General rule is if its above the neck you are fine to run, anything below and best to rest up

You may be panicking but which is worse an extra week now or get back out training and then miss another 2-3 weeks of a relapse. Be smart about things and pick your battles. Your body will not forget the mileage that is put in, just may take a little time to remind it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭career_move

ecoli wrote: »
    If you keep the back leg straight you are stretching the Gastronemius (The smaller of the two muscles believe it or not). By bending the knee you are taking this muscle out of action as the muscle connects just above the back of the knee.

By bending the knee you are working on the soleus. As the Gastronemius actually covers the majority of the soleus sometimes it can be hard for people to differentiate which muscle the pain is coming from
    If you keep the back leg straight and extend the knee of the front leg forward over your front foot does that not stretch one of the smaller calf muscles?

If you keep the back leg straight and extend the knee of the front leg forward over your front foot does that not stretch one of the smaller calf muscles?

I assume you mean this sort of action yes?

IntensiveCalfStretch.jpg

This does stretch calf muscles also at the muscle insertion point of both calf muscles mentioned previously

IntensiveCalfStretch.jpg

This does stretch calf muscles also at the muscle insertion point of both calf muscles mentioned previously
    No that's not really what I mean. Front foot should be flat on the ground and the right knee extended forward so that your almost starting to genuflect. But you have to straighten your back to get the best stretch ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

guinang wrote: »
    Wow. Should you be running? What has your physio recommended?

Physio said it wasn't too serious and actually encouraged me to get back running! And I was OK for 8 months til now!

rob w wrote: »
    I suffered with really bad sciatica in 2010 for the best part of a year, exact same problem as that. It was agony to stand/sit/lie down and once in one of those positions i didnt move out of it for a while.

Was going to a physio every week, she recommended acupuncture, which i had never tried, but i would have done anything to get rid of that pain, shortly after starting the acupuncture the pain started to fade, dont know 100% if thats what it was down to, but it might be worth a shot. Get the odd twinge every now and then but try to be very cautious about my back as I dont think i can go through that again, Hope you get sorted though laois man, i know what its like!

My pain isn't as bad as yours was thankfully.....but enough to make running impossible. Thanks for the acupuncture tip. I'll mention it to this physio on Monday and see what he says.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,915 ✭✭✭✭menoscemo

IntensiveCalfStretch.jpg

I like Digger's new shoes.

IntensiveCalfStretch.jpg

"Tonite there's goin' to be a jailbreak"

No that's not really what I mean. Front foot should be flat on the ground and the right knee extended forward so that your almost starting to genuflect. But you have to straighten your back to get the best stretch ;)

Took me a while to picture but I think this is the one you are talking about?

2185.jpg

Getting closer anyway :D

What this guy is doing from about 2:30 is what I was trying to explain

Getting closer anyway :D

What this guy is doing from about 2:30 is what I was trying to explain

No access to youtube in work ill have to come back to it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭rob w

What a cracker of a day, just back from a 5 mile run @ my marathon pace (9.09/mile). Finally shelled out some money on a new pair of runners last week and wore them for the first time today, the difference in comfort compared to my old pair of "runners" is massive, I used to get shin splints from time to time.....hopefully these will put an end to that! Anyone else been out for a run while the weather's good?:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭LaHaine

Hi guys, quick question re DCM 2013. Im currently living in australia but im thinking of having a crack at this on a holiday home.

My question is would the flight mess me up too much? Realistically the flight will be 20 plus hours, jet lag etc will come into play. Id be getting home a week or so before the big day. Would i be crazy to try this? Any thoughts appreciated!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

LaHaine wrote: »
    Hi guys, quick question re DCM 2013. Im currently living in australia but im thinking of having a crack at this on a holiday home.

My question is would the flight mess me up too much? Realistically the flight will be 20 plus hours, jet lag etc will come into play. Id be getting home a week or so before the big day. Would i be crazy to try this? Any thoughts appreciated!

All things being equal, a week should be sufficient to recover from the flight.

All depends on the time you're hoping to achieve relative to your other marathons.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

Anybody else doing the Samsung night run in Dublin tomorrow. Fingers crossed the weather will be good not like last year. I will let you know how it goes and you never know maybe a PB as its pretty flat........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

runwithme wrote: »
    Anybody else doing the Samsung night run in Dublin tomorrow. Fingers crossed the weather will be good not like last year. I will let you know how it goes and you never know maybe a PB as its pretty flat........:D

Yup I'm doing it too, best of luck with your getting your PB :)

I had hoped to attempt a sub 40 but I had a match last night and my legs are tired and a bit sore now so I'm not really looking forward to it anymore.

But I think I'll still go out and run 3:59 min/km and see how long I can keep at that pace.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭statss

yes I am doing it...I dont think it's a pb course, a lot of turns and it will be very congested...but a good buzz running in the city though.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭runwithme

Best of luck guys.........Well my PB is 58 mins. So im hoping to do a little better. Nothing too amazing. Hope the rain holds off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Mr.Fred

statss wrote: »
    yes I am doing it...I dont think it's a pb course, a lot of turns and it will be very congested...but a good buzz running in the city though.

It's a very flat course though so should be a good chance of a PB if you get ahead of the crowd.

23miles done this week:D Thanks for the video&pics of calf stretchs, really helped mid LSR! Think I'll use this week ahead as a bit of a step week, have a wedding this weekend so might be good timing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭Woden

Nice one shortstuff! I had a low mileage (18k) week myself as I was doing my first parkrun since November but got 2 sessions in on the bike a 20k and 40k. Parkrun went well though and PB'ed by 5:20 apparently..

Away myself next weekend at a stag but want to get back to the LSR and will sneak it in somewhere possibly on the Friday morning.

Also somehow missed the post with the plan but taking a look over it now!

Woden wrote: »
    Nice one shortstuff! I had a low mileage (18k) week myself as I was doing my first parkrun since November but got 2 sessions in on the bike a 20k and 40k. Parkrun went well though and PB'ed by 5:20 apparently..

Away myself next weekend at a stag but want to get back to the LSR and will sneak it in somewhere possibly on the Friday morning.

Also somehow missed the post with the plan but taking a look over it now!

That's a fair chunk to take off your PB Woden, well done!! With the exception of Bohermeen I haven't raced since last September:eek: Hopefully change that in the next week or two, see if I've improved at all:confused:

I have tomorrow off work so hopefully get out on the bike myself if it's not too windy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Darren 83

That's a fair chunk to take off your PB Woden, well done!! With the exception of Bohermeen I haven't raced since last September:eek: Hopefully change that in the next week or two, see if I've improved at all:confused:

I have tomorrow off work so hopefully get out on the bike myself if it's not too windy!

Same as my self last race was Bohermeen have the boyne 10 next week looking forward to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Satanta

Congrats everyone for makingn the decision to run dcm. Last year was my first and last years thread was my bread and butter. I think the best advice I can give right now is to get out there and enjoy your pre plan build up. Take it slow. If you think you are running slow enough slow up another bit. Get miles in your legs and build them slowly. I ran all my training Mike's last year at 6:40/km and closer to the race at 6:30. Finished the marathon with a 6:12 avg I think (4:27)

Best day out ever!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

After running a 5k in under 18:56 the previous Saturday I thought a sub 40 could be on the cards. Training plan for the week was to get out 3 times (two 8ks and a 16k) and rest from Thursday on. The plan didn't last too long as I was lazy and kept putting the long run off and only got out on Tuesday to do 8k, was too tired on Wednesday to do any running but eventually I got my act together on Thursday and did 16.2k (longest run by quite a bit since dublin half marathon last year so I was all pleased with myself). Twas comfortable enough and averaged 4:32 min/km so I thought was in good enough shape to give the sub 40 a go.

I had hoped to rest from then until Sunday night for the race but of course I had to play a rescheduled match on the Saturday night. I was pooped after it and my legs felt tired and heavy the next morning, the morning of the race. Great preparation. I still wanted to give the sub 40 a go though so my race plan was to run @3:59 and try hold out.

I was a bit late getting there, only dropped my bag off at 8:45 with the race starting at 9. Had to go for a pee but there were no toilets close by so that had to wait cause I didn't want to miss the start of the race. For the first two kilometres I was distracted by my bladder, even imagined the scene if I was to go while running :pac:. Thankfully it didn't come to that and I somehow forgot all about it for the rest of the race. I was fine for the first two km doing them in 4:00 and 3:59.
    I thought I was going fine for the third km too but when I looked at my lap pace it was about 4:20. I wasn't sure what happened cause I didn't think I had slowed down (turns out my garmin went a bit crazy, apparently I was taking shortcuts through buildings and taking some dips in the liffey).

Finished the third km in 4:17 which fecked up my race plan a bit as I thought I needed to speed things up if there was to be a sub 40. I did the 4th and 5th kilometres in 3:56 and 3:57. I started to struggle in the 6th km doing it in 4:07 but managed to pick up the pace again in the 7th and 8th kilometre doing them in 3:59 and 3:56. My watch was saying my average pace was 4:02 so I needed a fast last two kilometres to get under 40. But I didn't have anything left in the tank, did the 9th km in 4:03 and I thought the sub 40 was gone. I nearly slowed down a bit after realising I probably wouldn't get it but luckily I didn't. I plugged away at 4:03 pace for the last km finishing the race according to my watch @ 4:02 average pace. Imagine my surprise when I checked my watch to see my overall time was 39:47 when I was expecting 40:20 at the least. I was delighted, I spent the last kilometre of the race accepting my failed sub 40 attempt. My garmin has the course at 9.87 so that's how it had my pace wrong, official chip time is 39:49

It was a good race, I quite like the top, it was well marshaled, very flat and even though I was too busy to look around properly it was cool running on o'connell street, the quays and samuel beckett bridge. Could do with having some toilets at the bag drop off place and the course was a bit bendy but you can't have everything :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭RunningKing

official chip time is 39:49

Thats quite superb, given the congestion and many turns.
    Very well done.

With better prep, and a nice course, theres a 38:xx in there soon enough.

Advertisement