Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Money "Stolen" from Garda station

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,838 ✭✭✭✭McDermotX

Sack the lot of 'em.

(or nuke 'em from orbit)

It is, after all, the only way to be sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Death and Taxes

How inaccurate can you get?
    Do you have any actual data to back up that bullshít?
    true wrote: »
    certainly. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-pension-worth-11m-26518918.html

a few grand in cash for solving a robbery is almost nothing, the least the Gardai deserve is a bit of a tip. You would like a tip too if you could retire aged 49 with a pension pot worth only 1.1 million. The Gardai risk their lives, give them a bit of slack here.

That would be your way of saying, "no, I cant back that up, but sure its a an anaonamous forum so I thought I would throw in a few cheap digs", would it?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Grand Moff Tarkin

That would be your way of saying, "no, I cant back that up, but sure its a an anaonamous forum so I thought I would throw in a few cheap digs", would it?
    You got a link backing up his view what more are you looking for.

You got a link backing up his view what more are you looking for.

Actually no evidential link was posted, just a rant posing as an opinion.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

Need Proof? Cornflake days :pac:

That is all

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 919 ✭✭✭wicklowstevo

if your going to throw it all away for a few grand why not take all 26000 euro not just 9 000 ... is it just me or doesnt that make any sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

if your going to throw it all away for a few grand why not take all 26000 euro not just 9 000 ... is it just me or does not that make any sense.

If the person(s) who stole the money took the whole lot it might have been missed straight away,By leaving the bag there it might have seemed to the casual look over that all was well, until when the evidence was needed for the prosecution the money of the crime was recounted and only then missed. Just an opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

Sitec wrote: »
    Look for the fella with the crown and fur coat.

Or else look for the fella with the gambling addiction

• Registered Users Posts: 13,854 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

As a member, i believe that should the person be caught and is indeed a member of AGS, he deserves everything that comes his way, through criminal proceedings and internal proceedings. Again, if it turns out to have been a member, it's people like him that make my job harder and harder.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Montroseee

As a member, i believe that should the person be caught and is indeed a member of AGS, he deserves everything that comes his way, through criminal proceedings and internal proceedings. Again, if it turns out to have been a member, it's people like him that make my job harder and harder.

If they are caught it is a guaranteed couple of years in the joy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I thought he was making fun of this lad
    http://www.irishtimes.com/news/there-are-weeks-i-can-t-put-food-on-the-table-1.553261

Montroseee wrote: »
    If they are caught it is a guaranteed couple of years in the joy.

No, it'll be treated like any other theft/burglary case and heard on it's evidence, the only difference being the Judge will take into account, should the person be found guilty, that the offender is a Garda and has the expectations and responsibilities that go with it, and that the crime is more serious due to the employ of the offender. It's up to a Judge at the end of the day, but i will say that it is a very good possibility that the offender, if a Garda, would do some time.

Also, i have nothing to do with the case, and am stationed no-where near this!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

I gave you the data and link to back up my point, at the top of the page.
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-pension-worth-11m-26518918.html

Time you now withdrew that allegation that it was b*****it. Language and tone like that has no place.

Time you now withdrew that allegation that it was b*****it. Language and tone like that has no place.

And as i have proven in other threads, that article is a generalisation and going on the figures that all Gardai retire when they're 50 (which is lies). And the retirement age went up to 55 in 2004. Most members of An Garda Siochana did not join when they were 20, most were older.

And using myself as an example, i can retire when i've 30 years service. That'll make me 56. The average life expectancy in Ireland is 81. That gives me 25 years of retirement, which if i stay at Garda rank is half of my finishing salary - €27500 pa. Now add in the cuts and it brings the figure down to €26465 ps.

Now, 26465*25 = €661,625. Add the gratuity (which as per link above is currently €76,937.50) and it brings the figure up to €738,562.50, no where near the 1.1m that that article states. And that's if i live to 81. And it's well known that working rotational shift patterns reduces your life expectancy (Google it), retired Gardai are known to die sooner than the life expectancy.

As an aside, if Gardai retire at 50, using the above figures, the pension pot is worth only €897,352 including gratuity. So that article is wrong. And please, don't go into how it's still better than the private sector, i'm sick of that topic in general, and was just showing that the above article is wrong.

No, it'll be treated like any other theft/burglary case and heard on it's evidence, the only difference being the Judge will take into account, should the person be found guilty, that the offender is a Garda and has the expectations and responsibilities that go with it, and that the crime is more serious due to the employ of the offender. It's up to a Judge at the end of the day, but i will say that it is a very good possibility that the offender, if a Garda, would do some time.

Also, i have nothing to do with the case, and am stationed no-where near this!

So you disagreed with my post then basically repeated what I said...:rolleyes:

So you disagreed with my post then basically repeated what I said...:rolleyes:

I disagreed because you asked if it was guaranteed, but it's not. It's highly probable, but not guaranteed.

I disagreed because you asked if it was guaranteed, but it's not. It's highly probable, but not guaranteed.

If it was a Garda, jail time is a certainty.

Bull**** and your link from the indo doesn't mention the two homes that you claim all Gardai have, nor with the drastic cuts are all gardai earning €80,000+ with overtime.
    It was a bitter little post based on inaccuracies and begrudery, thus it is bullshít

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Boombastic wrote: »
    This
    I was driving behind a squad car the other night at around 12 midnight. We had both come out of the same shop. I was behind them for 2Km on the motorway before they decided to turn on their headlights.. The proceeded around several roundabouts and junctions without indicating Who do I report this to?

The same people you report it to when you see everyone else doing it - no-one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

keith16 wrote: »
    The same people you report it to when you see everyone else doing it - no-one.

That's where you're wrong I would report anyone else doing it, I should have reported Starksy and Hutch, would a 15Km round trip to go to the shop be also standard practice and good use of Garda resources?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

This doesn't surprise me at all. They're constantly inviting all sorts of dodgy characters back to them stations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭SB2013

certainly. http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-pension-worth-11m-26518918.html

a few grand in cash for solving a robbery is almost nothing, the least the Gardai deserve is a bit of a tip. You would like a tip too if you could retire aged 49 with a pension pot worth only 1.1 million. The Gardai risk their lives, give them a bit of slack here.

I'll give you a bit of info to show how you are incorrect. You should also refrain from quoting the Indo for Garda issues because almost every story I've read in it about Gardaí is either extremely misleading or blatantly untrue.

A Garda cannot retire until at least the age of 50. That assumes they joined at or before the age of 20, although since the maximum recruitment age is 35 I trust you can see why this is a silly assumption. The Indo says a Garda can retire at 50 but makes no reference to the fact they must have 30 years done, hence my reference to misleading Indo articles

A Garda contributes a minimum of 14% of their weekly pay to pension through five seperate contributions, including prsi as their pension payments include the normal state pension. Even if you assume the average Garda pay to be €50000 a year, this means that over the course of a 30 year career a Garda will have contributed a minimum €210k to his pension. The Indo says 110k, hence my reference to blatant lies.

The Indo article also assumes that the Garda lives 38 years after retirement. That's 88 years old. That's 8 years past the average life expectancy in Ireland, a truly epic achievement for someone who has spent their life living on shift rosters in a high stress job, things which in fact reduce life span.

In truth an average Garda contributes over 40% to his final pension. Still a good pension but nowhere near as lucrative as the article you quoted. And as far as I am concerned it is well deserved in the majority of cases.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

A Garda has been arrested for questioning about the theft of €9,000, which was being held in storage at Balbriggan garda station
    http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/garda-arrested-over-9000-theft-from-station-29206352.html

Feel sorry for the person in question, according to rumour this has all stemmed from a gambling addiction.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Feel sorry for the person in question, according to rumour this has all stemmed from a gambling addiction.

So he/she robs a member of the public who had previously been robbed, scummy behaviour from a so called defender of the peace.

No sympathy for whatever happens them now!

So he/she robs a member of the public who had previously been robbed, scummy behaviour from a so called defender of the peace.

No sympathy for whatever happens them now!

His actions convey a sense of desperation and he's obviously not in a good place atm. Hopefully he can get help.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

His actions convey a sense of desperation and he's obviously not in a good place atm. Hopefully he can get help.

Ya he was desperate to have a good cheltenham.

He can go for addiction counselling in the joy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Busted Flat.

Ya he was desperate to have a good cheltenham.

Ye like the postmaster in Gorey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭TINA1984

LOL good one. If successfully prosecuted all this Garda is going to get is a proverbial slap on the wrist. Remember, chances are this Garda comes from a good home, a 'well respected' family etc.

That's IF it even makes it to court. Remember, where cases involving Gardai are concerned, frequently its a case of them getting off on a technicality iykwim ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

risteard7 wrote: »
    Or else look for the fella with the gambling addiction

Knew it ;) Ireland has a serious gambling culture especially among young males. it's a terrible hidden addiction.

Advertisement