Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Remove speed limit from Motorways:

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

Sorry mods if this has been done before:

As a driver, I find it very frustrating to drive behind slow drivers, even on a regional or national road, when the speed limit is 60 or 80 and the person is doing 10 or 15 below the limit. I think that slow driving causes more accidents than fast driving. It should be a rule that if someone is going 10 kph below the limit (and conditions don't call for that) and there are 5 or more cars behind, then it should warrant a 2-penalty point offence.

Don't get me started on motorways though. People doing < speed limit really grinds my gears (pun intended), especially when they do it in the passing lane, and remain completely oblivious to this even when they are flashed from behind. This should be a 4-point offence, or a driving-ban.

Speeds of 120 are too restrictive on motorways, the speed limit should be a tonne (160 kph) in the left hand lane and none in the right hand lane. This is all well and good in an ideal world, but even if there was no speed limit on the motorway * you'd still have the usual drivers, that you get on Irish roads, ie, hogging a good lane with a mile of cars behind them :(

Discuss

*German style Autobahns, digital speed limits, constantly updated depending on traffic and weather etc.

I do find it funny that everyone seems to have this perception that all german motorways don't have speed limits, as someone who lives here, it is not the case.

Most are limited to 120km or 130km and even lower during times of commuter traffic (the speed limits on motorways can change throughout the day due to electronic signs).

Granted there are some that do have no speed limit but these are by no means the majority and sometimes it is just at times of the day when the roads of quite.
    Good system I find but don't even get me started on the traffic jams on the motorways around Frankfurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I don't think we should increase the speed limit - at least not the maximum one.

I do think there should be enforceable minimum speed limits backed up by penalty points - maybe 80kph in a 120 zone.

Also truck drivers who slipstream and/or spend five minutes overtaking each other on the motorway....a.k.a. the rolling rollblock manouver..... should be be put in the stocks at the nearest motorway rest stop/Apple Green for an hour per offense to discourage the practice :pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

catchup wrote: »
    Why are you in such a hurry?

I don't see any reason to change things. You might get to your destination 15 minutes early. Is it the end of the world if you don't? Speed limits around the world are there for a reason. Changing the speed limit doesn't make for better drivers. What is what is needed is better driver education, not allowing idiots to drive faster.

I find that idiots mostly trundle along very slowly

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

Irish people don't know.. or don't bother to use multilane roads correctly, therefore removing speed limits on motorways is a bad idea.
    130km would be ok in my opinion

But if 130 was introduced in the morning, loads of people would complain about the cost of replacing signage.

Like everything in this country, damned if you do, damned if you dont

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

no speed limits motorways in Ireland makes no sense for me.
    Most of the cars driven on Irish cars are micras and others with engine 1L or 1.2 or 1.4

even decent new cars like bmw or mercedes are mostly 2L.
    So as a result there will be crash after crash, when quick cars will try to avoid micras crusinig at 80 km/h on overtaking lane.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

msg11 wrote: »
    Are you mad ! I'm not joking, removing the limit on any motorway is going to end up with people killed, from people thinking they are rally drivers to the people who cannot hold 80 in a 120 zone are just dangourous. We don't need drivers who do so in an unrestricted zone with drivers doing 180-200 then little Betty in her Micra going 80 in the fast lane.

When people learn to drive properly then consider removing the limits or even when laws are enforced driving wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭GE90

Max Power1 wrote: »

Caught by the balls !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I find that idiots mostly trundle along very slowly

The idiots I see do the exact opposite...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Max Power1 wrote: »

When I do refer to it is the overtaking lane.

I meant it in the context of owl Betty going 80 in what she would call the fast lane.

No need to be so smart, cause I forgot a set of quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭GE90

it was ment as a bit of banter:-D. Iam on the mobile so doing anything other then writing text is like trying to do brain surgery wearing boxing gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I'd be in favour of a higher limit once you're away from the Dublin traffic.

160 km/hr after the M4 tollgate when the people who learned about motorways on the M50 are weeded out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

I'd be in favour of a higher limit once you're away from the Dublin traffic.

160 km/hr after the M4 tollgate when the people who learned about motorways on the M50 are weeded out.

Sure is it not that anyway, on the downlow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

And there's plenty of drivers more than capable of driving safely at 160kph on back roads, never mind motorways.

I would find it hard to believe anyone can drive safely at 160kp on back roads, unless the unexpected is suddenly non existent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

I voted for a speed limit in both lanes. My gut feeling thinks 120kph is fine for most places, but 140kph in certain spots on the M1,2,3,7 etc could be brought in.

Ive driven in the USA a fair amount and I like the way the police seem to work over there. Driving at 20% over the limit is tolerated if the conditions are deemed safe enough - 10pm on a fairly empty interstate for example. I think this frame of mind could work here too.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

1huge1 wrote: »
    I do find it funny that everyone seems to have this perception that all german motorways don't have speed limits, as someone who lives here, it is not the case.

Most are limited to 120km or 130km and even lower during times of commuter traffic (the speed limits on motorways can change throughout the day due to electronic signs).

Granted there are some that do have no speed limit but these are by no means the majority and sometimes it is just at times of the day when the roads of quite.
    Good system I find but don't even get me started on the traffic jams on the motorways around Frankfurt.

You are right saying that no all motorways there are speed-limit-free, but you are bending it to the other side by saying that "Most are limited to 120km or 130km or even lower"

I travel regularly once a year through all Germany (Duisburg to Gorlitz) which is about 800 trip each way, and most of this way is without any speed limits, with expections around bigger cities (Rurh districy, Kassel, Liepzig, Dresden) where indeed there are 120, 130 or variable limits.
    But I'd reckon saying that 90% of this route is without any speed limits.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,089 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

robbie7730 wrote: »
    I would find it hard to believe anyone can drive safely at 160kp on back roads, unless the unexpected is suddenly non existent

Depends what kind of back road we are talking about.
    I'm driving everyday on a narrow country road, which has a place on top of the hill where you can see the stretch in front of you for few kilometres and see if there are any cars approaching.
    Even though speed limit is 80km/h, it's perfectly safe to do 160km/h (at least in few parts) provided you can control the car on bends at that speed.
    Once you look in front of you, there is no chance of anything or anyone emerging suddenly from the side.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,371 ✭✭✭Dartz

I want to close a long section of motorway for a day. At the weekend maybe

Set up barriers at each end that charge 20-30 euro a pop to go through.

And just let people rock-up and run at whatever speed they want, in whatever they want to. Provided they understand that hey, going faster means more accidents.... and the rest of the RoR isn't suspended. So you're responsible for whatever happens, especially if you stuff it, and watch your insurance carefully.

Useful for the Gardai too because they can test their speed-detection gear.

I'm not sure if it's legally possible, mind.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭SniperSight

Given that there's a need to have ads on explaining the broken and solid white lines, I don't think an increase or multi limits are all too likely or wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    The condition of Irish motorways is very good if not excellent seeing as most of them have only been constructed in the last ten years. I have driven all over Europe and the US and you would want to see some of the tight curves on exits, especially in Belgium and Germany if you think Irish exits are sharp.

Well, the exits on the M18 are pretty darn bad. Worse than most of what I've seen in Germany.

Anyhow, I grew up in an area, where I'd just have to go 30 km to the border before I hit german unrestricted 2 lane motorways.

A few pointers: driving behaviour/education is key. And while a lot of germans are pretty bad for hogging the overtaking lane, too, the best behaviour I've seen is actually in Belgium. They really take care of overtaking at higher speeds, moving out of the the overtaking lane immidiatly and generally not getting in the way of cars travelling faster.

Another point about people pottering at slower speeds than the limit AND ESPECIALLY oblivious to the cars they have behind them: It's more dangerous to travel slow, on cruise control¸in whatever way, form or fashion.

People that travel at faster speeds are more focused on their driving. They have to think ahead and anticipate, what else there is happening. Meaning, they will constantly be aware of what's going on around (in front and behind) them.

People that just potter around at 100 km/h on the motorway, maybe even with cruise control turned on, chatting away to a mate or on the phone or whatever are not taking notice of traffic at all. Meaning in the case of an accident, their reaction time will be even slower than the person speeding. It goes as far, that the french were considering banning phones completely, regardless of having hands free or not. The people pottering around at these speeds also can be so relaxed, that they risk of falling asleep while driving. Hence they're the most dangerous motorists around.

There's another factor, and the average speed of around 130-140 km/h in Germany is proof of that: by removing the speed limit and posting a recommended travelling speed ( 130 km/h in Germany ), you remove the "target speed". You also force people to adjust their behavior for the case, that somebody comes blasting past them at 250 km/h.

The result is, that for the majority of people, the novelty of no speed limit wears off quickly and they keep around the recommended travelling speed, but make sure, they clear the overtaking lane whenever the driving lane is free. People that want to drive faster can do so with keeping in mind, that most people travel at 130 and trucks at 80 km/h. So they are alert to this, prepared to brake if necessary and all is fair and square. The result of that is, that everybody HAS to stay alert, no matter what speed you're doing and the result of that is a lot safer driving.
    Given that there's a need to have ads on explaining the broken and solid white lines, I don't think an increase or multi limits are all too likely or wise.

The purpose of the solid single white lines are a mystery anyhow. On the continent you either have broken single white lines (allowing you to overtake) or double solid lines (where overtaking is absolutely forbidden). Anything else makes zero sense.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

CiniO wrote: »
    I'm driving everyday on a narrow country road, which has a place on top of the hill where you can see the stretch in front of you for few kilometres and see if there are any cars approaching.
    Even though speed limit is 80km/h, it's perfectly safe to do 160km/h (at least in few parts) provided you can control the car on bends at that speed.
    Once you look in front of you, there is no chance of anything or anyone emerging suddenly from the side.

Never seen a fox/rabbit/dog suddenly appear from the side of a country road? Id love to see you deal with that at 100mph...

• Advertisement

djimi wrote: »
    Never seen a fox/rabbit/dog suddenly appear from the side of a country road? Id love to see you deal with that at 100mph...

[Bang]

There, dealt with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

[Bang]

There, dealt with it.

Deal with a deer or similar and let us know how you get on. The suggestion that its safe to do in excess of 100km/h on some of the back roads in Ireland because there is the occasional hill for a look out is utter lunacy. And thats coming from someone where WRC rallying is in the immediate family. You should always proceed at a speed where you have a chance of reaction and course correction given the distance in front you can see. The difference in a close road scenario is you have pace notes in one ear and the knowledge that in 99% of the cases the road ahead is clear, then you can push as hard as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

Victor wrote: »
    And trucks that are limited to 80km/h?

Most trucks I see these days are doing 90 - 100kph!:D

ironclaw wrote: »
    You should always proceed at a speed where you have a chance of reaction and course correction given the distance in front you can see.

In the specific case discussed here where an animal runs out into the road, this is simply impossible. An animal can literally run under your wheels. I know of a case where a horse jumped a hedge and came through the windscreen. That could happen when you are not moving at all.

"Course correction" is very often the wrong thing to do in this case anyway. Running over a rabbit is much safer than swerving to avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 371 ✭✭larchill

I agree with the 'slow' driver argument - someone who just couldn't be bothered & just holds everyone else up unnecessarily is a nuciance. I always keep to the limit, & on motorways keep to 100kph ish - it's easier on fuel in these days of 150c+ per litre. I also keep on the left lane & only use the right lane for passing slower traffic. This is made more difficult by ****ers hogging the fast lane. The current 120kph is fine in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

In the specific case discussed here where an animal runs out into the road, this is simply impossible. An animal can literally run under your wheels. I know of a case where a horse jumped a hedge and came through the windscreen. That could happen when you are not moving at all.

"Course correction" is very often the wrong thing to do in this case anyway. Running over a rabbit is much safer than swerving to avoid it.

Running over a rabbit at 100mph is likely to cause you big problems whether you swerve to avoid it or not.

And are you really trying to say that there is no difference between trying to deal with a situation like that at 50mph than there is at 100mph? :confused:

The bravado from some people both in this thread and others is laughable. Sebastian Loeb wouldnt drive most country roads I know at 100mph; if anyone on here thinks that they can then they need to either stop talking nonsense or take a good hard long look at themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Viper_JB

I think there should be very harsh pentalies and fines brought in for any found to be holding trucks up, resulting in them over taking.....it's small but things would get a lot less frustrating for everyone on a motorway if that simple guide was followed - Don't join a motor way if you intend on doing less then 85 kph, plenty of other roads avalaible where you can drive at as low a speed as you want.

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Ive driven in the USA a fair amount and I like the way the police seem to work over there. Driving at 20% over the limit is tolerated if the conditions are deemed safe enough - 10pm on a fairly empty interstate for example. I think this frame of mind could work here too.

I wouldn't regard the USA as a good example to follow in terms of road safety policy.

Graph showing decline in road deaths for four countries 1979-2002:

crash_trend11.jpg

Original source: http://www.scienceservingsociety.com/traffic-safety.htm

See also: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXrr9ZUQdxo

CiniO wrote: »

Care to define "perfectly safe"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I'd like to see the statistics for roads deaths occurring on Irish Motorways compared to Irish secondary roads.

The road outside my house has a limit of 80km/h but doing that speed would put you through the wall seeing as the road is wide enough for one car.

Motorways are far safer than secondary roads and the limit should be increased to 140km/h. Most people do this speed now anyway

Advertisement