Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Remove speed limit from Motorways:

Options
  • 13-11-2012 8:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭

Sorry mods if this has been done before:

As a driver, I find it very frustrating to drive behind slow drivers, even on a regional or national road, when the speed limit is 60 or 80 and the person is doing 10 or 15 below the limit. I think that slow driving causes more accidents than fast driving. It should be a rule that if someone is going 10 kph below the limit (and conditions don't call for that) and there are 5 or more cars behind, then it should warrant a 2-penalty point offence.

Don't get me started on motorways though. People doing < speed limit really grinds my gears (pun intended), especially when they do it in the passing lane, and remain completely oblivious to this even when they are flashed from behind. This should be a 4-point offence, or a driving-ban.

Speeds of 120 are too restrictive on motorways, the speed limit should be a tonne (160 kph) in the left hand lane and none in the right hand lane. This is all well and good in an ideal world, but even if there was no speed limit on the motorway * you'd still have the usual drivers, that you get on Irish roads, ie, hogging a good lane with a mile of cars behind them :(

Discuss

*German style Autobahns, digital speed limits, constantly updated depending on traffic and weather etc.

Should Irish Motorways have no speed limits? 262 votes

No Speed Limits on Both lanes
    0% 0 votes
    Speed Limits on Both Lanes
    29% 78 votes
    Speed Limit on Left lane, none on passing lane
    70% 184 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,985 ✭✭✭✭dgt

What would be the point, sure the M1 is Ireland's autobahn as it is, modern day Naas dual carraige way...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Neewbie_noob

dgt wrote: »
    sure the M1 is Ireland's autobahn as it is

Do people ignore speed limit on that ??? :confused:

For those of you who advocate keeping the speed limit, do you think 120 is OK, too lenient or too strict ??? If you are in favour of keeping the speed limit, do you at least think it should be raised. Would I get more responses if this was moved to AH?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

I think that slow driving causes more accidents than fast driving.

Before I cast my vote can you provide any solid authoritative evidence for that claim?

That might point me in the right direction, voting-wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭catchup

Why are you in such a hurry?

I don't see any reason to change things. You might get to your destination 15 minutes early. Is it the end of the world if you don't? Speed limits around the world are there for a reason. Changing the speed limit doesn't make for better drivers. What is what is needed is better driver education, not allowing idiots to drive faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

Are you mad ! I'm not joking, removing the limit on any motorway is going to end up with people killed, from people thinking they are rally drivers to the people who cannot hold 80 in a 120 zone are just dangourous. We don't need drivers who do so in an unrestricted zone with drivers doing 180-200 then little Betty in her Micra going 80 in the fast lane.

When people learn to drive properly then consider removing the limits or even when laws are enforced driving wise.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Before I cast my vote can you provide any solid authoritative evidence for that claim?

That might point me in the right direction, voting-wise.
    Re-read his post - he stated his opinion, not a fact.
    I'm not sure solid authoritative evidence would be of much use to you if you don't read things very well:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

We need the speed limits precisely because of the fuck-wits who waft along the Motorways at 65KPH and have no realisation that reality continues to exist behind their forward facing field of vision.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,289 ✭✭✭Supergurrier

If 120km/ph isn't fast enough leave 10-15 minutes earlier

• Administrators Posts: 53,556 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

the speed limit should be a tonne (160 kph) in the left hand lane and none in the right hand lane.

Discuss

Carnage, that's what.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

we need speed limits as so many of our drivers are so bad at it and also because the faster you go, the more fuel is wasted and the more pollution created.
    Also if you put the limit at 160km/h, then you'll find a number of people doing 200. No, i think he limit is about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

catchup wrote: »
    Why are you in such a hurry?

I don't see any reason to change things. You might get to your destination 15 minutes early. Is it the end of the world if you don't? Speed limits around the world are there for a reason. Changing the speed limit doesn't make for better drivers. What is what is needed is better driver education, not allowing idiots to drive faster.

Agreed, most of the problems are drivers who see the road as some sort of right they have to get to A to B and be dammed those who get in the way.

even if you were to tank it down the M1 at 160 you hit traffic and lights and junction at some point and your overall journey time is little better for all the angst and frustration and fuel used not to mention the increased blood pressure of screaming at cars.

There should be some better education especially on motorways but 10kmh below the speed limit? The better drivers will typically run their engines at reduced speeds for better efficiency.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

Carnage, that's what.

exactly.

lads in their poxy suped up civics and micras trying to reach top speed only to be throwing off by a cross wind and straight into another car or barrier

or going aroind a bend too fast and meeting a slower moving vehicle.

if I might add I do believe in a minimium speed limit for m'ways. if you can't do a decent speed because of your car or your afraid to then you shouldn't be on it in the first place.

again it's all down to proper motorway training that we don't have

• Registered Users Posts: 78,335 ✭✭✭✭Victor

the speed limit should be a tonne (160 kph) in the left hand lane and none in the right hand lane.
    And trucks that are limited to 80km/h?

Re-read his post - he stated his opinion, not a fact.

Exactly. And it's a bullsh:t opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Lawless2k12

If they raise the limit then they should raise it to 130kmh at the most! Anything further is a hazard. No limits= idiots testing out their high powered machines doing 200+kmh then they suddenly lose control, tyre pops, smash into some dope doing 60 in the fast lane. Some other ape ends up bombing it along at 200kmh, can't stop for the crash in time and ends up smashing into both cars and before too long we have a massive pile up with a dozen lying dead on the road. In reality we cannot handle high speeds as much as we like to think we can. Especially if a fault occurs and a wheel pops off or tyre explodes and the your up sh*t creek without a paddle.

Tbh 120 is fine in my opinion. I just think that if everyone gave themselves time to get to where ever they are going we'd all be grand, and if everyone started doing the full speed limit then that'd be great! No need for overtaking at all then!

I also believe a threshold of 30kmh above the limit on all limits from 80kmh upwards should be imposed where the driver should lose his licence for 3 months should he exceed the limit by 31kmh or more. And for every 10kmh above that, an extra 2 months should be added on. Eg: Your caught doing 181kmh down the motorway, you're slapped with a nice fine and 9 months off the road. 2nd offences carry double penalties, 3rd offence warrants a minimum 3 years of the road because you're just an accident waiting to happen!

awec wrote: »
    I also don't get the obsession with the autobahn. Only some of the Autobahn network has no speed limit. It's not the free-for-all that people think.

Just as a matter of interest, are there any data regarding the average/85th Percentile/top speeds on the non speed limited sections of Autobahn?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

awec wrote: »
    I also don't get the obsession with the autobahn. Only some of the Autobahn network has no speed limit. It's not the free-for-all that people think.

Same obsession there used to predominantly be with the legality of weed in the netherlands. When something is illegal in most places, the exception becomes to go-to for arguments/discussion.

I think where the general autobahn side of the argument falls down, is you never hear WHY it's good, or even using it as a proof of concept - (it's been shown to work fine in X under certain circumstances), rather it's just used as a "But they have it why can't we" excuse.

I haven't yet been to germany / driven on the autobahn, but from what I've heard (even on here), Irish motorways are probably of better standards than some of the unrestricted parts of the autobahn.

And there's plenty of drivers more than capable of driving safely at 160kph on back roads, never mind motorways. It's the ones that aren't capable of even driving at current limits safely that are the issue.

I think the option of a driving lane with limit, and outermost overtaking lane being unrestricted or having a higher limit makes the most sense. It would just need proper enforcement to work right. And better education.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭glic71rods46t0

Iwannahurl wrote: »
    Exactly. And it's a bullsh:t opinion.
    So you already had your own opinion made up then but you don't think that others are allowed to have an opinion you dont believe in???? (rhetorical question btw - just in case you're still having trouble reading!)

So you already had your own opinion made up then but you don't think that others are allowed to have an opinion you dont believe in???? (rhetorical question btw - just in case you're still having trouble reading!)

Nope. Not opinion, evidence.

Here's a thread linking to a bunch of studies showing why the slow = dangerous notion is a fallacy: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056754101

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

until Irish people learn to drive correctly I'm afraid I'm going to go with speed limits on both. the standard of driving here is far to low to allow for higher.
    I've driven abroad extensively and the standards are far higher than here ( although the mentality seems to be insane in some ) and ability is also on a level we'll never achieve.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

These threads are gas and there seems to lots of them here recently. The new obsession seems to be with speed, the need to get places as quickly as possible and sod everyone else because my busy life is more important than everyone elses, makes for some sad reading.

I see it everyday on the roads. Seems lots of people are taking their own life's frustrations out on other road users when they get behind the wheel through tailgating, bullying and attempted intimidation.

If someone isn't going fast enough for you then go around them when it is safe to do so but I bet there will be someone else out there who thinks the same about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Picture this, Subura Impreza WRX, belting along a motorway at top speed 180+ kph(?), way out in front is little Nissan Micra nipping along at 120kph and decides to over take a car in front and BANG!

I vote no..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I think the driving lane should remain the same but the over taking lane should have no limit, it makes sense to over take as fast as possible and return to the driving lane as this would be the safest manner, I already use this system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Wexfordian

...It should be a rule that if someone is going 10 kph below the limit.....

Of course it will need to be taken into account that speedometers are always calibrated slightly high and therefore a certain tolerance built into the rules, plus the fact that speed cameras are never accurate so that needs to be taken into account.Probably good for maybe 20kph or so to be sure no-one is getting unfairly punished (after all, these are penalty points and the driver might be an innocent plumber with 12 kids to look after).

And of course the lower limit shouldn't really apply if there is no-one about and after all I'm a grand safe driver at 50kph, so the Gardai would be better off chasing people on phones, or doing their make up or anyone that isn't me basically.

It must be noted though that if you are going to put in a lower limit someone will have to monitor it, probably some busybody outsourced bunch looking for a profit. To be fair these busybodies would need to drive HUGE vans, be painted florescent pink and have a large neon sign on the roof saying "Yoo-hoo, we are here" and only be allowed to exist between flashing signs saying either vacant or engaged. Also the sites need to be published daily in every national paper. And by preference be in Canada.

And woe betide them if they pick a spot where there hasn't been at least 12 deaths that week from excessively slow speed. Because everyone know that slow speed doesn't kill anyone, its the sudden acceleration. Or something.

Otherwise I'm all for it.

Advertisement